• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 7| I thought it was competing

Now that we're about halfway through with the season, I suppose its time start tracking the undefeated teams. There hasn't been a non-SEC team since Oklahoma in 2008 to get a bid for the national championship game with a blemished record. So if your team is not in the SEC and you have a loss, you're probably out of luck. Anyways, here are the current 14 undefeated teams by conference.

AAC:
Louisville 6-0
Houston 5-0

ACC:
Clemson 6-0
Miami 5-0
Florida St. 5-0

Big 12:
Texas Tech 6-0
Baylor 5-0

B1G:
Ohio St. 6-0

MAC:
Northern Illinois: 6-0

MWC:
Fresno St. 5-0

Pac 12:
Oregon 6-0
UCLA 5-0

SEC:
Mizzou 6-0
Alabama 6-0

No undefeated teams in:
CUSA
Independents
Sunbelt

And just for shits and giggles, here is the winless list:

Temple 0-6
U-Conn 0-5
Southern Miss 0-5
New Mexico St. 0-6
Miami (OH) 0-6
Western Michigan 0-7 (first team to be eliminated from bowl eligibility)
Hawaii 0-6
Georgia St. 0-6

Has anyone pointed out how much of a sham these latest polls are yet? If not here I am!

Michigan getting as many votes they are... Florida being ranked, Auburn moving up after taking out an FCS team, etc.

Enfinit

The Gators don't deserve to be ranked.
SEC: Home of the best X loss team in the country.

No, they do not deserved to be ranked.

But, they're in the SEC. And because of their history, Florida, LSU, Bama, South Carolina, Georgia, and now A&M, all will need three losses to get out of the Top 25 (usually). It's a trend with top SEC teams that's growing every year.

Imagine that. If Georgia loses this week (at #15), they'll be 4-3. I'd bet money they'd still be in the Top 25. Maybe not, but it could happen depending on what Vandy does.

Hypothetically, a 4-3 SEC team will still be better than an undefeated or one loss team in any other conference. This is all "what if", but it's realistic.

On the other hand, there's 8 teams in the Top 25 now from the SEC, and all of them except for Auburn and Florida deserve to be ranked. Florida's been absolutely atrocious in their past four games, especially when compared to usual Florida standards. They slipped only five slots, for LSU was #10. On paper, you could make an argument that statistically this makes sense, however, if you're watching the same game I was, there's no way in hell Florida played like a Top 25 team in the past three games.

The other team that completely baffles me is Auburn at 5-1. Who have they played? They have one considerable win against a heavily depleted, average, and underperforming Ole Miss. However, other than that, they have wins against Washington St., Arkansas St., Miss. St., and Western Carolina. All VERY average teams, and nothing spectacular. Watching Auburn, there's nothing awe-inspiring, no Heisman moments, no SportsCenter Top Ten plays, nothing great. It's just football, and Auburn's just pulled out the wins.

Then look at a team like Oregon St., who hasn't lost a game since week one (rather embarrassingly, though). They're sitting 5-1, with wins against Utah (who took down Stanford in a convincing fashion, if anyone needed reminding), and wins over other mediocre teams. However, Oregon St.'s got a special offense, and they win games in a convincing fashion. They've got a dark horse Heisman contender in Mannion. If Oregon St. and Auburn were to go head-to-head, I'd put my money on OSU.

But, because Auburn's a one-loss SEC team, they get in the Top 25 over a much more deserving Pac-12 team.

Because SECSECSEC.

i am not an sec hater

go noles

cdyhybrid

But, they're in the SEC. And because of their history, Florida, LSU, Bama, South Carolina, Georgia, and now A&M, all will need three losses to get out of the Top 25 (usually). It's a trend with top SEC teams that's growing every year.

Imagine that. If Georgia loses this week (at #15), they'll be 4-3. I'd bet money they'd still be in the Top 25. Maybe not, but it could happen depending on what Vandy does.

Hypothetically, a 4-3 SEC team will still be better than an undefeated or one loss team in any other conference. This is all "what if", but it's realistic.

On the other hand, there's 8 teams in the Top 25 now from the SEC, and all of them except for Auburn and Florida deserve to be ranked. Florida's been absolutely atrocious in their past four games, especially when compared to usual Florida standards. They slipped only five slots, for LSU was #10. On paper, you could make an argument that statistically this makes sense, however, if you're watching the same game I was, there's no way in hell Florida played like a Top 25 team in the past three games.

The other team that completely baffles me is Auburn at 5-1. Who have they played? They have one considerable win against a heavily depleted, average, and underperforming Ole Miss. However, other than that, they have wins against Washington St., Arkansas St., Miss. St., and Western Carolina. All VERY average teams, and nothing spectacular. Watching Auburn, there's nothing awe-inspiring, no Heisman moments, no SportsCenter Top Ten plays, nothing great. It's just football, and Auburn's just pulled out the wins.

Then look at a team like Oregon St., who hasn't lost a game since week one (rather embarrassingly, though). They're sitting 5-1, with wins against Utah (who took down Stanford in a convincing fashion, if anyone needed reminding), and wins over other mediocre teams. However, Oregon St.'s got a special offense, and they win games in a convincing fashion. They've got a dark horse Heisman contender in Mannion. If Oregon St. and Auburn were to go head-to-head, I'd put my money on OSU.

But, because Auburn's a one-loss SEC team, they get in the Top 25 over a much more deserving Pac-12 team.

Because SECSECSEC.

i am not an sec hater

go noles

Correction: They'd need 3 losses in the first 3 games to get out of the top 25. Otherwise they'll never leave.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I've never felt like rankings (or records) actually reflected what would happen on the field if two teams played. Maybe once we get rid of rankings prior to week 4 or so they'll be worth something.

Enfinit

I've never felt like rankings (or records) actually reflected what would happen on the field if two teams played. Maybe once we get rid of rankings prior to week 4 or so they'll be worth something.

Rankings are a wonderful way to add excitement and drama to the sport. And unlike the NFL, collegiate football has over a hundred teams. In the NFL, it's easy to determine which team is the best based off divisions, conferences, and playoffs, however this isn't as easy with so many teams, in so many conferences, in so many difference situations with college football. A ranking system is necessarily to judge the best - the only problem is the bias that encompasses it. You can't eliminate bias when there's human interactions involved. The BCS poll reduces this by adding computer equations to the mix, however bias isn't eradicated.

It's a necessary evil, I suppose.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!

Because SECSECSEC.

i am not an sec hater

go noles
I'm not going to argue that Auburn deserves to be in the top 25, but using Oregon State--a team that lost to a team in the Big Sky Conference--as your example of a team that SHOULD be in over them really undermines your argument.

Enfinit

I'm not going to argue that Auburn deserves to be in the top 25, but using Oregon State--a team that lost to a team in the Big Sky Conference--as your example of a team that SHOULD be in over them really undermines your argument.

Have you watched an Oregon State game recently? Sure, they lost to a garbage Eastern Washington, and certainly got off to a slow start, but they certainly aren't the same team they were five weeks ago. The point wasn't essentially Oregon State, it was that there's more deserving one-loss teams that should be in the Top 25 rather than Auburn. It's because Auburn's in the SEC is the sole reason why they're in it.

Lemme ask you a question: if Auburn was in the Big Sky rather than the SEC, and they played the same opponents and had the same record as they do now, would they be ranked?

Sure, Oregon State isn't the best example to use for a team that should be ranked (you could make arguments for UCF, Michigan State, or perhaps Utah and a two-loss case), but if Auburn and Oregon State went head-to-head, who'd come out on top?

Enfinit

Auburn beat Wazzu beat Southern Utah beat South Alabama beat Tulane beat North Texas beat Ball St beat Toldeo beat Eastern Washington beat, you guessed it, Oregon St.

Auburn would win.

SECSECSEC

Holy shit, I even went through all of that on ESPN to see if you were being serious. You were.

You're right. Auburn would win.

mre

Lemme ask you a question: if Oregon State was in the Big Sky rather than the PAC 12, and they played the same opponents and had the same record as they do now, would you still think that they should be ranked?
Just so you realize how ridiculous that question was.

cdyhybrid

Oregon State smacked Wazzu around, so I'm okay with giving them an honorary #25 ranking for the week for doing God's work and vanquishing the evil Cougs.

Piggus

Speaking of vanquishing the evil Cougs, I look forward to seeing us do that in person next week. Feels like ages since the last home game I went to (I had to stay home for the Cal game... and kinda glad I did lol).

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I'll be in Morgantown for the Tech game this weekend. Recommendations on tailgating/what else to do before the game would be appreciated. Getting into town late Friday.

mre

Ridiculous or not, they wouldn't be ranked.
Of course they wouldn't be ranked. Nobody in the Big Sky conference would be ranked this early in the season even if they were undefeated.

I'm not sure why some people have a hard time grasping that as arbitrary as the rankings already are, there are two things for sure factored into them: how good were the teams that you've beaten and how bad were the teams that beat you. To stick with the litmus school you selected, Oregon State's wins have been over a whole shit pile of nothing--no, the Utah win wasn't impressive even though Utah beat Stanford--yet their loss was to an abysmal school from the Big Sky Conference who has also lost to Sam Houston State and Toledo. Auburn's schedule has certainly not been any better than Oregon State's, but their only loss was to the #6 ranked school, LSU. All other things being equal, Auburn deserves to be ranked over Oregon State because they don't have an unforgivable loss to a Big Sky Conference team.

Let's look at the "others receiving votes" part of the AP poll, because these are really the only other teams that could have been ranked had Auburn been left off. Which of these programs do you think SHOULD be ranked at the moment?

Michigan 118 - Just lost to a depleted Penn State team.
Nebraska 94 - There's a possibility here, but their wins aren't over teams any better than those Auburn beat while their only loss is to #9 UCLA. Very similar story here, and probably interchangeable with Auburn.
Michigan State 69 - Unimpressive wins and lost to a decidedly average Notre Dame.
Utah 47 - A quality win over Stanford but two losses already (UCLA and Oregon State).
Notre Dame 39 - Two losses and surely you wouldn't try to argue against the fact that any perceived SEC bias is a push where Notre Dame is concerned.
Oregon State 21 - Discussed.
UCF 19 - Only win close to being "quality" came over Penn State. While they played a good game, they lost to the only other decent team they played (SCAR).
Texas 16 - Lost to Ole Miss.
Northwestern 7 - Back-to-back losses over the past two weeks. Was ranked #16 prior to this.
Arizona State 7 - Best win is over Wisconsin, but has 2 losses (Stanford and Notre Dame). Was ranked prior to losing to Notre Dame 2 weeks ago.
Houston 3 - Undefeated but has beaten, literally (not really) nobody. Opponents are averaging a 2-4 record. Plays in the artist formerly known as the BEAST. Would probably be ranked if it played in the ACC, B1G, B12, PAC12 or SEC.
Rutgers 1 - Has lost to the only two decent teams they have played. Does have a win over SECSECSEC doormat Arkansas.

So who would you swap Auburn out with, other than Oregon State? Nebraska? Like I said above, their accomplishments AND failures so far have been interchangeable with Auburn. However, they were previously ranked but got dropped for losing to UCLA, so it's hard to say there is some SEC bias holding Nebraska out of the polls in favor of Auburn when this is the first time Auburn has made an appearance.

And fuck you for making me argue for Auburn.

Balphon

Speaking of vanquishing the evil Cougs, I look forward to seeing us do that in person next week. Feels like ages since the last home game I went to (I had to stay home for the Cal game... and kinda glad I did lol).

I was at the Cal game.

I think the shoes I wore are still wet.

The SEC is a joke and has been for some time.

It is incredible that the media allows the 13 other teams in the SEC ride the coattails of Alabama. Don't even get me started on this incredibly flawed perception that the SEC is anywhere close to the best conference in America. The people who state this often cite that a team from Alabama has won the title the last 4 years. This is why the SEC, a 14 team conference, is the best in the nation. Alabama. The logic here is just so obviously absent from this train of thought, I'd like the think the polls and this thought process in general are nothing more than a nasty troll and attack on the credibility of college football.

I'd like the meet the people who vote for teams like Auburn, Florida, Mississippi into the Top 25. I mean seriously, there is absolutely no rationale for them being ranked besides "SECSECSEC". It is sickening. I think most of us realize that if you see a SEC team ranked, you have to add anywhere from 5 to 10 spots to get their actual rankings for all but Alabama.

But it doesn't really just stop at the SEC, they are the most recent flash in the pan that have stolen the media's heart. How is Michigan still ranked? Who in the hell votes in these polls? Have they not even seen the highlights of Michigan this year? It is absurd how absolutely crap the ranking system is and how teams associated with Alabama or programs that have historical pedigree get the benefit of the doubt.

The whole system needs revamping. The sad part is the 4 team playoff won't fix it. I fully expect an overrated SEC squad getting the 4th spot over a deserving one loss Oregon or Stanford (for example) next year because of this perceived strength.If Alabama doesn't get smacked in the mouth this year, a better team is going to be left out of the playoffs in place of the 2nd best SEC team with 2 or 3 good wins on their entire schedule but a "better" loss. Which is only better because of this self perpetuating lie that the SEC is head and shoulders above the rest.

Talon

If we just got rid of Top 25 polls, we could stop being gassy. They're a pointless exercise. Just stick to a Top 5 and that's all we need.

andycapps

Of course they wouldn't be ranked. Nobody in the Big Sky conference would be ranked this early in the season even if they were undefeated.

I'm not sure why some people have a hard time grasping that as arbitrary as the rankings already are, there are two things for sure factored into them: how good were the teams that you've beaten and how bad were the teams that beat you. To stick with the litmus school you selected, Oregon State's wins have been over a whole shit pile of nothing--no, the Utah win wasn't impressive even though Utah beat Stanford--yet their loss was to an abysmal school from the Big Sky Conference who has also lost to Sam Houston State and Toledo. Auburn's schedule has certainly not been any better than Oregon State's, but their only loss was to the #6 ranked school, LSU. All other things being equal, Auburn deserves to be ranked over Oregon State because they don't have an unforgivable loss to a Big Sky Conference team.

Let's look at the "others receiving votes" part of the AP poll, because these are really the only other teams that could have been ranked had Auburn been left off. Which of these programs do you think SHOULD be ranked at the moment?

Michigan 118 - Just lost to a depleted Penn State team.
Nebraska 94 - There's a possibility here, but their wins aren't over teams any better than those Auburn beat while their only loss is to #9 UCLA. Very similar story here, and probably interchangeable with Auburn.
Michigan State 69 - Unimpressive wins and lost to a decidedly average Notre Dame.
Utah 47 - A quality win over Stanford but two losses already (UCLA and Oregon State).
Notre Dame 39 - Two losses and surely you wouldn't try to argue against the fact that any perceived SEC bias is a push where Notre Dame is concerned.
Oregon State 21 - Discussed.
UCF 19 - Only win close to being "quality" came over Penn State. While they played a good game, they lost to the only other decent team they played (SCAR).
Texas 16 - Lost to Ole Miss.
Northwestern 7 - Back-to-back losses over the past two weeks. Was ranked #16 prior to this.
Arizona State 7 - Best win is over Wisconsin, but has 2 losses (Stanford and Notre Dame). Was ranked prior to losing to Notre Dame 2 weeks ago.
Houston 3 - Undefeated but has beaten, literally (not really) nobody. Opponents are averaging a 2-4 record. Plays in the artist formerly known as the BEAST. Would probably be ranked if it played in the ACC, B1G, B12, PAC12 or SEC.
Rutgers 1 - Has lost to the only two decent teams they have played. Does have a win over SECSECSEC doormat Arkansas.

So who would you swap Auburn out with, other than Oregon State? Nebraska? Like I said above, their accomplishments AND failures so far have been interchangeable with Auburn. However, they were previously ranked but got dropped for losing to UCLA, so it's hard to say there is some SEC bias holding Nebraska out of the polls in favor of Auburn when this is the first time Auburn has made an appearance.

And fuck you for making me argue for Auburn.

I'm disappointed in you. Making that long justification for Auburn.. Come on man!

mre

I'm disappointed in you. Making that long justification for Auburn.. Come on man!
I try to maintain at least a semblance of intellectual honesty. I don't care if Auburn is ranked or not, but they've "earned" their ranking as much as--if not more than--any of the teams currently below them.

Now, if he'd gone with Florida who has lost to the only decent teams they've played and who's best win is probably Tennessee, then I wouldn't have gotten into the argument at all. Florida is clearly propped up at the moment by SECSECSEC bias, and there is a much stronger argument that Florida should be unranked in lieu of one of the other teams receiving votes.

I also think the guy who thinks Bama's ranking is correct is hilarious. He clearly hasn't watched any Bama games this year.

andycapps

I try to maintain at least a semblance of intellectual honesty. I don't care if Auburn is ranked or not, but they've "earned" their ranking as much as--if not more than--any of the teams currently below them.

Now, if he'd gone with Florida who has lost to the only decent teams they've played and who's best win is probably Tennessee, then I wouldn't have gotten into the argument at all. Florida is clearly propped up at the moment by SECSECSEC bias, and there is a much stronger argument that Florida should be unranked in lieu of one of the other teams receiving votes.

I also think the guy who thinks Bama's ranking is correct is hilarious. He clearly hasn't watched any Bama games this year.

The problem is that there's no consistency in how the voters rank teams. They're ranking Bama high because Bama's won national championships, and they won last year.. And they haven't lost yet, so until then some are still viewing them as being top dog, regardless of how and who they've actually been playing.

jjasper

The problem with the polls are the preseason polls. If they waited till week five or six before voting a lot of these problems would be fixed.

I'll be in Morgantown for the Tech game this weekend. Recommendations on tailgating/what else to do before the game would be appreciated. Getting into town late Friday.

For tailgating, the best place for that would be the Blue Lot, which is this big parking lot between the stadium and hospital. There will be tailgating all over the place, but this one will be packed with them. Although enthusiasm will probably be lowered because of the Baylor whooping, plus being a noon start won't help.

6F5hLfM.png

As for non-football related activities, yeah, I'm not the best source for that, haha. I'm mostly a home body so I dunno what the best stuff to do for a visitor would be.

Draxal

I'm pretty sure Kyle Flood was the one who voted for us in the coaches poll. I really don't hold Fresno game against us due to the circumstances ( loss in 3rd overtime), and consider Fresno extremely overrated.

The reality is that Louisville pretty much dominated us even with a shitty game by Bridgewater, even if the score didn't show it.

Top Bottom