• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 7| I thought it was competing

andycapps

The problem with the polls are the preseason polls. If they waited till week five or six before voting a lot of these problems would be fixed.

It's true, and your solution would probably help a lot. The other way is to tell them to vote based on current performance and competition. Now you have some voters voting that way and some just voting based off perception and what they saw on Sportscenter.

I'm pretty sure Kyle Flood was the one who voted for us in the coaches poll. I really don't hold Fresno game against us due to the circumstances ( loss in 3rd overtime), and consider Fresno extremely overrated.

The reality is that Louisville pretty much dominated us even with a shitty game by Bridgewater, even if the score didn't show it.

I disagree.

The defense did enough, to keep the O in the game and Nova did them no favors.

They were down 1 score and they kept letting Nova sling it, despite the fact to start the 4th the running game was finally turning positive plays.

Cohen did his first good job this year with the halftime adjustments, and pretty much shut out the Cards in the 2nd half despite Nova setting them up with short field after short field after short field.

Draxal

I disagree.

The defense did enough, to keep the O in the game and Nova did them no favors.

They were down 1 score and they kept letting Nova sling it, despite the fact to start the 4th the running game was finally turning positive plays.

Cohen did his first good job this year with the halftime adjustments, and pretty much shut out the Cards in the 2nd half despite Nova setting them up with short field after short field after short field.

Their dominance in the trenches and yardage was pretty apparent. Their dline was just kicking the crapout of our o-line (especially schematically).

As for adjustments, I don't know, I saw alit of open receivers that Teddy was missing. Mind you with how depleted the secondary was they did a good job.

I'm still pissed off at Prince though, Nova was absolutely shook by the rush yet he kept on having the wrs go on crosses and posts and when they're running two deep its basically asking for interceptions. Was like Kent State all over again.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
The problem is that there's no consistency in how the voters rank teams. They're ranking Bama high because Bama's won national championships, and they won last year.. And they haven't lost yet, so until then some are still viewing them as being top dog, regardless of how and who they've actually been playing.

2 wins over top 20 teams, whatwhaaat

Lonestar

Arkansas's AD is now the chairmen of the playoff selection committee. Arkansas to be in playoffs, soon and often.

Their dominance in the trenches and yardage was pretty apparent. Their dline was just kicking the crapout of our o-line (especially schematically).

As for adjustments, I don't know, I saw alit of open receivers that Teddy was missing. Mind you with how depleted the secondary was they did a good job.

I'm still pissed off at Prince though, Nova was absolutely shook by the rush yet he kept on having the wrs go on crosses and posts and when they're running two deep its basically asking for interceptions. Was like Kent State all over again.

The OL did better when Taj was benched and Civil came in. Bujari needs to stop with the head jerk prior to the snap it's a dead tell to the cadence. I'd like to see Kaleb move to RT and Lowery to LG.

Why do they keep running that bubble screen to Coleman when he isn't 100%, can't hit top gear, never was overly elusive, and is always facing press coverage?

Prince had his worst game sans for that TD pass call to Kroft. That play was a thing of beauty.

They should've ran more slants, and shorter routes against UL.

UL would stick 10 in the box and Nova never changed the play he let Huggins/Goodwin run right into brick walls all night.

eznark

Banned
Arkansas's AD is now the chairmen of the playoff selection committee. Arkansas to be in playoffs, soon and often.

I wonder how often Barry Alvarez will just lean forward and laugh in his face during those meetings?

"You paid him how much?! hahahahaha"

cashman

Banned
The SEC is a joke and has been for some time.

It is incredible that the media allows the 13 other teams in the SEC ride the coattails of Alabama. Don't even get me started on this incredibly flawed perception that the SEC is anywhere close to the best conference in America. The people who state this often cite that a team from Alabama has won the title the last 4 years. This is why the SEC, a 14 team conference, is the best in the nation. Alabama. The logic here is just so obviously absent from this train of thought, I'd like the think the polls and this thought process in general are nothing more than a nasty troll and attack on the credibility of college football.

I'd like the meet the people who vote for teams like Auburn, Florida, Mississippi into the Top 25. I mean seriously, there is absolutely no rationale for them being ranked besides "SECSECSEC". It is sickening. I think most of us realize that if you see a SEC team ranked, you have to add anywhere from 5 to 10 spots to get their actual rankings for all but Alabama.

But it doesn't really just stop at the SEC, they are the most recent flash in the pan that have stolen the media's heart. How is Michigan still ranked? Who in the hell votes in these polls? Have they not even seen the highlights of Michigan this year? It is absurd how absolutely crap the ranking system is and how teams associated with Alabama or programs that have historical pedigree get the benefit of the doubt.

The whole system needs revamping. The sad part is the 4 team playoff won't fix it. I fully expect an overrated SEC squad getting the 4th spot over a deserving one loss Oregon or Stanford (for example) next year because of this perceived strength.If Alabama doesn't get smacked in the mouth this year, a better team is going to be left out of the playoffs in place of the 2nd best SEC team with 2 or 3 good wins on their entire schedule but a "better" loss. Which is only better because of this self perpetuating lie that the SEC is head and shoulders above the rest.

As much as I think it's an overrated conference, I still think it's the best. Only this year the gap between the Pac 12 and SEC isn't big at all.

Lonestar

I wonder how often Barry Alvarez will just lean forward and laugh in his face during those meetings?

"You paid him how much?! hahahahaha"

He'll just pop in video of BMFP's motorcycle wreck, and JLS's Coaching wreck. Desperation.

Lonestar

Alabama-Tennessee is the CBS game at 2:30 p.m CT on 10/26.

weee, not a night game.

Seems like next week, CBS's skipping on Missouri/Florida (CBS Doubleheader with Auburn/A&M & UGA/Vandy), and skipping the next week on Missouri/South Carolina (guess they assume they'll lose next week)

Non-SEC SEC team getting no respect.

jjasper

Not really sure why CBS wants to show a 3-4 team get destroyed by Alabama but whatever.

Also Battle at Bristol seems like a dumb name.

Also apparently Nebraska let us push the series with them back instead of having to cancel which is nice of them.

Edit: payout for UT is 3.5-4 million. And Beer sales!

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
weee, not a night game.

Seems like next week, CBS's skipping on Missouri/Florida (CBS Doubleheader with Auburn/A&M & UGA/Vandy), and skipping the next week on Missouri/South Carolina (guess they assume they'll lose next week)

God dammit. I'm going to that game, and I hate going to games that air on CBS. Damn commercial breaks.

Only 8 points in the pick 'em this week but I'm assuming everybody else took a bath too. This will probably be almost everybody's dropped week.

HYPED FOR THE ACC GAME OF THE CENTURY ON SATURDAY! FSU opened as a 3 point favorite but I don't buy that. Oddsmakers are assuming Clemson's troubles with BC mean they can't beat FSU, but FSU struggled against BC too. BC is just good this year and nobody will believe it. I bet they finish 8-4 with their only losses to USC, FSU, Clemson, and VT. They should be able to beat everybody else and land 3rd in the Atlantic Division.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like Davis Webb was voted Big XII Offensive Player of the Week. That means each of our two true freshman QBs have won the honor this season. Nice.

Only 8 points in the pick 'em this week but I'm assuming everybody else took a bath too. This will probably be almost everybody's dropped week.

HYPED FOR THE ACC GAME OF THE CENTURY ON SATURDAY! FSU opened as a 3 point favorite but I don't buy that. Oddsmakers are assuming Clemson's troubles with BC mean they can't beat FSU, but FSU struggled against BC too. BC is just good this year and nobody will believe it. I bet they finish 8-4 with their only losses to USC, FSU, Clemson, and VT. They should be able to beat everybody else and land 3rd in the Atlantic Division.

I picked 8/12 correctly but I haven't checked to see if I got any MOV points. I'll let ttk do his job :p

Enfinit

INow, if he'd gone with Florida who has lost to the only decent teams they've played and who's best win is probably Tennessee, then I wouldn't have gotten into the argument at all. Florida is clearly propped up at the moment by SECSECSEC bias, and there is a much stronger argument that Florida should be unranked in lieu of one of the other teams receiving votes.

I had to pick a team that was unranked! And I already made the argument that Florida should be unranked. That's how this whole conversation got started.

Hype train 11/10. I can't believe we're the favorites.

The Clemsoning is real.

I picked 8/12 correctly but I haven't checked to see if I got any MOV points. I'll let ttk do his job :p
I'm sitting 5th in points right now and I still don't fully understand how the scoring works.

Lonestar

XJeOmRy.jpg

nfSZVzG.jpg
Officially official

So, a High School crowd gets to watch a college game, while a College Crowd x 2 watches them, watch the game.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Clemson has too strong a home field advantage and we have a freshman quarterback. No way we should be favorites.

But regardless, go FSU!

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I had to pick a team that was unranked! And I already made the argument that Florida should be unranked. That's how this whole conversation got started.
Which doesn't change the fact that Auburn is at least as deserving of being ranked at this point in the season as anybody behind them.

Hell, of the teams AROUND Auburn, I'd say that Auburn is probably more deserving of being ranked than all of them, with the possible exception of Northern Illinois who hasn't really beaten anybody but has yet to take a "bad" loss. Northern Illinois aside, do you think ANY of these teams would be ranked if they played in the Big Sky Conference instead of their respective conference?

20 Washington 4-2 309
21 Oklahoma State 4-1 264
22 Florida 4-2 249
23 Northern Illinois 6-0 185
24 Auburn 5-1 156
25 Wisconsin 4-2 153

I feel dirty again.

I'm interested to see how Winston fares in his first hostile environment. He's seemed so infallible so far this season, I'm not even sure he can be rattled. At the very least, I hope we make it difficult for him to make adjustments at the line of scrimmage. And of course, Beasley needs to be in his face all game. Here's hoping!

I'm sitting 5th in points right now and I still don't fully understand how the scoring works.

It's easy. If you pick the winner you get 1 point. If the team you picked won the game within 3 points (in either direction) of your margin of victory guess, you get an additional point. Example: I picked LSU to beat UF by 10 points. That means if LSU wins I get one point, and if they won by any score between 7 and 13, then I get a bonus point. LSU beat UF 17-6, which is an 11 point margin of victory. That means I get 2 points for that game.

An important thing to remember (that nobody does) is that if you are picking margins of victory under 4 points, you are screwing yourself over. The lowest MoV you should ever pick is 4, because that covers you if your pick wins by anywhere between 1 and 7 points.

Clemson has too strong a home field advantage and we have a freshman quarterback. No way we should be favorites.

But regardless, go FSU!

Oddsmakers are drinking the Jaboo kool-aid.

Honestly I don't think the fact that he is a Freshman will have any almost affect on this game. The dude seems to play better under pressure (look at how good he is against the blitz). I think this game is a shootout waiting to happen and all we need to do is have the ball last to have a shot at winning it. That being said, I'm picking us to lose. If it were at Doak I might pick us to win, but playing on the road is tough, especially at Clemson where we have not won in a decade.

I'm interested to see how Winston fares in his first hostile environment. He's seemed so infallible so far this season, I'm not even sure he can be rattled. At the very least, I hope we make it difficult for him to make adjustments at the line of scrimmage. And of course, Beasley needs to be in his face all game. Here's hoping!

This is one of the things Jimbo touches on often. Winston is super good at making pre-snap reads and adjusting. It's what has enabled him to be so good so quickly. He's like a football robot that scans the field, reviews the data, and makes a decision all in nearly an instant. Look at all of the times he manages to shake a sack and find an receiver deep in almost no time flat. I think Winston is the only reason FSU even stands a chance in this game.

Though I'm sure Clemson will easily be the most hostile environment he plays in (maybe all season depending on how UF fares), it won't be Winston's "first" hostile environment. The Pitt game was sold out and the fans were loud, and he was in the spotlight on Monday night. He was fine there, and shut the crowd up once he started playing. BC was hostile too, and they were real loud up until the end of the 2nd quarter when he shut everybody up with that crazy touchdown.

Karl2177

Looks like Davis Webb was voted Big XII Offensive Player of the Week. That means each of our two true freshman QBs have won the honor this season. Nice.
And deservedly so. He picked apart our defense pretty good. How long is Mayfield out for?

Also good to see that Jarvis West gets the Big XII Special Teams Player of the Week with his 95 yard KO return.

MrJames

Jones isn't that big of a loss. Brown is running good and I think Kelvin Taylor might be the best RB on the team. He needs more plays.

EDIT: Muschamp finally benched the punter.

How the fuck am I going to make it all the way to Saturday night? I already feel like I'm going to explode with pure hype and it's only Monday.

Kevtones

Courtesy of Peter King:

I think, after watching a good bit of college football over the weekend, I can picture Marcus Mariota throwing to Justin Blackmon over the corners of the AFC South for years to come, if Blackmon can find a way to stay on the straight and narrow after his dangerous dalliances with alcohol. (You can tell I’m dubious.) But as I said on NBC Sunday night, what was once a virtual certainty—either Louisville quarterback Teddy Bridgewater or South Carolina pass rusher Jadaveon Clowney being the first pick in the draft next May—is now in doubt. Mariota will be draft-eligible next May (as will many other attractive quarterbacks, including Johnny Manziel) because he’s in his third college season out of high school. And at least two teams love Mariota to the point that I believe if he comes out those teams would have him higher on their board than Bridgewater.

Just saying. Mariota's performance Saturday was seriously phenomenal.

andycapps

From EDSBS's twitter:

HIqYDJfKOe

RT @onlygators: Starting QB, DT, RB, KR, RT all out for the season for the #Gators.

I'm not sure who has it worse now, us or you guys. That game should be kind of hilarious to watch, honestly. Bright side is that we'll have Gurley and Bennett back. Still missing Scott-Wesley, Mitchell, and Marshall for the year.

Suggestion for topic title for week of the Cocktail Party.. College Football 2013 |Week Whatever| The Walking Dead

Quake1028

How the fuck am I going to make it all the way to Saturday night? I already feel like I'm going to explode with pure hype and it's only Monday.

Say you guys take care of Clemson and NC State, and we take care of UNC and Wake....Gameday HAS to be in Tally on 11/2, right?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Red Hat Guy is truly the most hated man in any stadium.

Edit: From the Twitters: Florida RB Jones out for the year.

I sat in front so some crusty old dude who alternated between yelling " Git that red guy awwf tha feeyuld!" and "give thu dam bawl to the Smithfield boy" Duke is smack dab in the middle of a red state and has a decent amount of redneck fans.

Lonestar

I'm not sure who has it worse now, us or you guys. That game should be kind of hilarious to watch, honestly. Bright side is that we'll have Gurley and Bennett back. Still missing Scott-Wesley, Mitchell, and Marshall for the year.

Suggestion for topic title for week of the Cocktail Party.. College Football 2013 |Week Whatever| The Walking Dead

Not that Ole Miss could do anything with everyone playing, but I think their missing half their team, and now facing LSU.

Serderius Bryant, Robert Nkemdiche, Temario Strong, Jeff Scott, Mike Hilton, Issac Gross, Chief Brown, C.J. Johnson and Carlos Thompson.

1st guy's the "Manziel kilt him" guy, next is ESPN'S Player to watch in ALL games, Scotts that little fast dude who beat Vandy, and I don't know anyone else, because it's Ole Miss.

Say you guys take care of Clemson and NC State, and we take care of UNC and Wake....Gameday HAS to be in Tally on 11/2, right?

Went to check if Alabama/LSU was that weekend, but it's the following.

If UGA and Florida hadn't shat the bed, it'd be the only competition.

Kevtones

Ducks QB in the NFL. lol

/still bitter about Akili

I was in the 8th grade and I interviewed him for my school newspaper. Asked him about his Heisman chances.

I've randomly met Kellen Clemons (sold him a shitty wrestling game), Dennis Dixon (dorms), Dan Fouts (airport), Joey Harrington (buying slurpies), and Chris Miller (coaches at my high school). Never met Bill Musgrave or AJ Feeley though...

So I've met a lot of subpar to terrible NFL quarterbacks. I haven't met Mariota so maybe that bodes well...

andycapps

Not that Ole Miss could do anything with everyone playing, but I think their missing half their team, and now facing LSU.

Couldn't have happened to a more well-bought team. Only reason why I mentioned the UGA/FL game is because both teams are ranked, pretty big rivalry, and both teams have a ton of key players out. Pyrrhic victories against Tennessee indeed.

Oh, and Pinkel regarding the injuries to UGA's team "They didn't have many injuries on defense." You're not wrong, you're just an asshole. And I think Spurrier can appreciate that level of snark.

Kevtones

Joey Harrington was buying Slurpee's with loose change, wasn't he? And this was last weekend, wasn't it?

It was at the 7-11 on the 13th right on campus. Joey was always kind of an introvert/loner. There's some weird and crazy stories about his college closet (writing on the walls and shit).

Nice guy though - gave me a nod, a few words, and a handshake.

Draconian

weee, not a night game.

Did they get the first choice on both of those games? I can't for the life of me figure out why they would choose UGA/Vandy over FLA/Mizzou or LSU/Ole Miss.

andycapps

Did they get the first choice on both of those games? I can't for the life of me figure out why they would choose UGA/Vandy over FLA/Mizzou or LSU/Ole Miss.

I'm guessing with all things TV, it's driven by ratings. UGA is probably a bigger draw with how we're putting up so many shootouts right now, and those tend to be entertaining.

Top Bottom