• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2013 |Week 9| Low-class football

cdyhybrid

If you guys are unsure of your USC pick, here's some info.

USC had 53 players play against ND. Only 39 of them were healthy enough to practice today.

USC will be playing without its 2 top RBs, 3 of its 4 top WRs and the other 2 reserve WRs are questionable at best to play.

So this week against Utah, as far as scholarship players goes, USC will have: 3 tailbacks, 2 WRs, 0 TEs total.

So USC by 80 is the lock of the week, is what you're saying?

P.S. Isn't Travis Wilson banged up?

jjasper

There needs to be sports game community thread in the community forum or else shit like the nba2k thread happens where suddenly.

Also are people here getting one next month and if so which one. I need to decide.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
If you guys are unsure of your USC pick, here's some info.

USC had 53 players play against ND. Only 39 of them were healthy enough to practice today.

USC will be playing without its 2 top RBs, 3 of its 4 top WRs and the other 2 reserve WRs are questionable at best to play.

So this week against Utah, as far as scholarship players goes, USC will have: 3 tailbacks, 2 WRs, 0 TEs total.

I didn't even pay attention, who won last week, ND or USC?

Also, think I'll change my pick, had USC by 7. This info is enough to make me flip the pick.
Utah by 7.

There needs to be sports game community thread in the community forum or else shit like the nba2k thread happens where suddenly.

Also are people here getting one next month and if so which one. I need to decide.

NBA2k? What's that?

Still have a reserve on Amazon for PS4, but having Watchdogs and Driveclub delay, really put a damper on it for me.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Have you seen the launch lineup? Save your money. That has the advantage of letting other people see if there will be another rrod/ylod incident.

jjasper

I would save my money but I have no console currently and I am basically doing nothing with my time right now and won't be for a while.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!

I'll eventually get a PS4, but I just got a new laptop, so the wife may hit me with a shoe if I buy one this year.
I would save my money but I have no console currently and I am basically doing nothing with my time right now and won't be for a while.
Aren't you in med school?

cdyhybrid

Don't think I'll be getting either at launch but I'm leaning towards PS4 right now. Friends only had 360s last gen so I'm trying to convince them to go PS4 with me.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I have day one Amazon preorders for both but am going to cancel both. I have a decent computer so that will take me until we know what each system really is.

I am actually buying a PS4 with the money I made from gambling on CFB this year!

I'm sitting at about $300 now after depositing $200 at the start of the season. It doenst sound very good but I managed to get it up to about $1300 two rounds ago and have lost big the last two weeks.

First Texas beating Oklahoma killed me in week 7 and then Louisville and TexasAM losing last week killed me.

Cant be any more upsets like that this season can there!?!

I need to get to about $600 by the end of November when the PS4 comes out in Australia.

mre

I am actually buying a PS4 with the money I made from gambling on CFB this year!

I'm sitting at about $300 now after depositing $200 at the start of the season. It doenst sound very good but I managed to get it up to about $1300 two rounds ago and have lost big the last two weeks.

First Texas beating Oklahoma killed me in week 7 and then Louisville and TexasAM losing last week killed me.

Cant be any more upsets like that this season can there!?!

I need to get to about $600 by the end of November when the PS4 comes out in Australia.
Welcome to college football. Tennessee will probably beat Bama this weekend.

Welcome to college football. Tennessee will probably beat Bama this weekend.

I'm steering clear of that game. I tend not to bet on the Rivalry matches as those are the ones where upsets are more likely.

Plus there is no value in putting any money on Alabama, they are at $1.01.

Lonestar

I'm steering clear of that game. I tend not to bet on the Rivalry matches as those are the ones where upsets are more likely.

Well, the last 3 games were won by Alabama. Each by 31 points.

Bet on 31!

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

I wonder if there is any truth to the idea of rivalry games being more likely to have an upset. Is there data out there looking into that?

Lonestar

I wonder if there is any truth to the idea of rivalry games being more likely to have an upset. Is there data out there looking into that?

Not in TSIO, from memory. Totally a streaky series. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Saturday_in_October

Another interesting note: Alabama has never been behind in the win/loss column against Tennessee. Right now, it's 49-38-7, Last Tennessee win, the series was at 43-38-7. For 1 single year, they manage to tie, back in 1970 (23-23-7), which of course, pissed Bear off, and reeled off 11 consecutive wins. Which is crazy. It feels like forever since Tennessee beat Alabama, and it's only been 6 in a row. We'd have to win this year and the next 4 years, just to tie that streak from the 70's.

Fuck you, 10RC.

Im not getting a new console right away, leaning slightly PS4 but probably wont get either until tax return time.

What im debating on right now is building a new pc or getting a new tv.

KingGondo

Banned

I'd consider betting the under on Texas-TCU (51.5) and the over on Baylor-Kansas (67.5).

Don't take it to the bank, just my opinion. Keep in mind the Big 12 has been pretty unpredictable this season.

I'd consider betting the under on Texas-TCU (51.5) and the over on Baylor-Kansas (67.5).

Seems like a no brainer considering Baylor has scored an average of 64.7 points per game so far this season, which alone is just a FG away from the spread. And they are playing Kansas.

The wrench is the fact this game is in Lawrence, and Baylor is only averaging 35 points per away game. Small sample size of away games this year ( just one ) but last year they lost all of their true away games in conference, and nearly lost their away game @ Louisiana Laffayette. So recent history suggests they suck at playing away. Be wary of the over

cashman

Banned
Mike Evans is a great player, but he is not their best player. It is hard to argue that anyone but JFF is their best player. Look what happened for the 10mins he was off against Auburn.

You could just as easily argue that Manziel's game would suffer as much if he didn't have Evans to throw too.

I don't have the stats but I base that opinion in my own experience with sports in Australia. Rivalries are considered 50-50 matches in Australian football, no matter what the season form looks like.

Don't take it to the bank, just my opinion. Keep in mind the Big 12 has been pretty unpredictable this season.

Lines and unders/overs are hard because they are made up by the bookies to give them the slight advantage based on their opinion of the two teams.

I can bet straight winners and multi (parlay) them up.

This week I have put $50 on the following multi (all to win straight):
Miami
Texas AM
Clemson
Virginia Tech
Oregon
Ohio St
Fresno St

Although now I am a bit worried about Texas AM if Manziel is out.

Karl2177

ZeiPF71.png

If Rohach starts, the Fighting Gondos should be worried. When Iowa State QBs have their first start, they always manage to enter Jesus mode. It's looking like Richardson is going to start on his bum ankle though

You could just as easily argue that Manziel's game would suffer as much if he didn't have Evans to throw too.

Thinking about the "best player" comment I made, I was actually thinking "most important player" and not their "best player" skill or talent wise.

Manziel is their most important player.

Skill and talent wise, Evans and Manziel are both elite and yes, you could argue that either is Texas AM's best player.

KingGondo

Banned
ZeiPF71.png

If Rohach starts, the Fighting Gondos should be worried. When Iowa State QBs have their first start, they always manage to enter Jesus mode. It's looking like Richardson is going to start on his bum ankle though
Yeah, I'm a bit worried. ISU isn't as bad as its record, but I also feel like we've worked through some issues on offense and might be ready to take off.

These next two games are pivotal for our season. Win both and we're in good position to potentially win the conference.

Lonestar

Much better than some of the other things I saw. Someone written "GWB was President"

That's not exactly a "WHOA" fact. If it was Clinton or before, then it'd be WHOA.

course, now thinking about it, there's a sad personal fact that just hit me, and made me sad....

Spoilered to prevent complete Debbie Downering the topic

The last time Tennessee beat Alabama...
My Dad was still alive. I believe he was still incubated, suffering from pneumonia while at Emory for Cancer Treatment, so I barely remember anything about the game, just that it was kind of close, and Alabama lost. He died a week after the Iron Bowl that year, 2 days before Mike Shula was fired, and never got to see the turnaround.

mre

Spoilered to prevent complete Debbie Downering the topic

The last time Tennessee beat Alabama...
My Dad was still alive. I believe he was still incubated, suffering from pneumonia while at Emory for Cancer Treatment, so I barely remember anything about the game, just that it was kind of close, and Alabama lost. He died a week after the Iron Bowl that year, 2 days before Mike Shula was fired, and never got to see the turnaround.
Sucks, man. :(

Lonestar

The Terry Saban house hunting in Austin story is 7 hours old, and no one, not even the Texas crew, has ran with it. The sources must not be very good.

The Terry Saban house hunting in Austin story is 7 hours old, and no one, not even the Texas crew, has ran with it. The sources must not be very good.

Jesus Shuttleworth is doing the reporting. He had a couple hot tips about 3 or 4 years ago during the coaching merry go round that got him a lot of credibility.

He has since moved to a $9.95 and become worthless.

The shag thread went its expected direction: pics of a semi nude woman that bears a resemblance to Saban's daughter.

cdyhybrid

Jesus Shuttleworth is doing the reporting. He had a couple hot tips about 3 or 4 years ago during the coaching merry go round that got him a lot of credibility.

The shag thread went its expected direction: pics of a semi nude woman that bears a resemblance to Saban's daughter.

Well, at least something productive came out of it.

Lonestar

At this point, the Internet has unveiled at least 5 versions of Kristen Saban.

pxleyes

Banned
Right there with you Lonestar. Lost my dad in Feb '10. Not much has been the same since. I just keep moving forward.

cashman

Banned

I'm hearing that Saban to UT is basically a done deal and that they are looking to bring back Muschamp as DC and lure away Briles from Baylor so he can be the OC. Both guys will have 5 mil salaries and Saban's is going to approach 15 million.

If the weather forecast says no chance of rain or gale force winds, that Baylor-Kansas over is as close to a lock as you'll get in CFB.

PS4

And speaking of that, hey I was thinking: could EA release NCAA 14 as a "PS3 classic" on PS4? Just the same game but optimized for all the new power? Maybe bust that bitch out at 120fps or something? Because I would pay full price for that knowing how far off another cfb game is, if we ever get another one.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Hardly. I always wanted Oklahoma to be as good as they could before our games so that if we beat them we really had something to be proud of. There's no real accomplishment in beating garbage teams.

I'd agree to this to an extent but I live in the heart of UNC's insufferable fan base. Anytime they fail is a good time.

andycapps

Still have a reserve on Amazon for PS4, but having Watchdogs and Driveclub delay, really put a damper on it for me.

Very true, but Resogun and Contrast are free with PS+ at launch. Resogun is one I've really been looking forward to. There's quite a few PSN games that interest me at launch. Killzone Shadow Fall looks really good too. I've been a fan all along, so the move from a shooter where the mechanics have momentum and feel more "real" to something that looks like it moves much quicker, and by extension more responsive makes me uneasy. They're considering these almost separate games than the prior ones, so I'm worried it'll turn into CoD with Helghast. But I know a lot of people that didn't get heavily into Killzone 2 hated how sluggish it felt, but I loved it how it played. Plus, dat chirp.

jjasper

I was at the game the last time we won. I had a full head of hair, a job, and my family wasn't a bunch of corndogs yet. Those were good time.

Via roto:
Former Oregon junior TE Colt Lyerla was arrested for unlawful possession of cocaine and interfering with a police officer on Wednesday.
Police saw Lyerla snort a white powdery substance in a parked vehicle in Eugene, Oregon. Lyerla later admitted to using cocaine. Police and Lyerla agreed to continue the investigation at his apartment, but once arriving, the tight end ran to a nearby apartment and was promptly arrested. He was released from jail at 9:20 pm PT. Lyerla left the Oregon program a few weeks ago following an ongoing dispute with coaches. Despite having early round talent, we doubt Lyerla will be drafted. Matt Miller was the first to report the arrest.
Damn draft stock destroyed, guess the Coke Lyerla nickname was real

Jhriad

Whelp,

That ohio state fan lasted long....

Ill miss him, he brought a good laugh everyone once in a while.

Can't say I'm surprised. I am amused that so far every Junior I've put on ignore has been banned shortly thereafter.

PS4 still on preorder here. I got it mostly because I've never gotten a console at launch and I kinda want to line up with all the other dorks. Never too late to experience a console launch I suppose. Of course I'll probably be one of the oldest non-parents there. Wouldn't mind putting CFB Gaf on my friends list if anyone is interested. Probably more interested in interacting with you all than I am with folks I'm less familiar with on GAF. If only to compare leaderboard scores and see what everyone is playing. :)

Top Bottom