• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2015 Week Eight Thread: UM 23 | MSU 21 | 00:00

Lunar15

Apparently the guy who won the UF kicker tryouts was a walk-on who was cut by Muschamp. How surreal.

Also, two women apparently made the cut from the initial search to try out. I wonder, had they won, could they even join the team? I'm not sure how any of that works.

After UF compliance reviewed the eligibility, credit hours and class schedules of the students, 77 made the cut for Wednesday’s tryout in the indoor practice facility, including two women.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Apparently the guy who won the UF kicker tryouts was a walk-on who was cut by Muschamp. How surreal.

Also, two women apparently made the cut from the initial search to try out. I wonder, had they won, could they even join the team? I'm not sure how any of that works.

Probably work out like Sweet Dee. Read: fake goatee and a broken leg.

FyreWulff

Nothing in the rulebook prohibits women from playing afiak

I think the Hawkeye's success this season is going to put serious pressure on the administration to do something about Rhoads, but his buyout is still absurd-$750,000 per year remaining and he's signed on through 2021. Can they afford to both fire him and pay the buyout that a good G5 head coach has on their contract? They would have to be looking at P5 coordinators to replace him and that's how they got into their Rhoads problem in the first place.
Keep in mind that one of the reasons Hoiberg left for the NBA is because ISU's AD, Jamie Pollard, is a cheapskate. He made the basketball team sleep in the hotel's ballroom after a trip to Hawaii rather than pay for rooms before the team's flight home.

Karl2177

Keep in mind that one of the reasons Hoiberg left for the NBA is because ISU's AD, Jamie Pollard, is a cheapskate. He made the basketball team sleep in the hotel's ballroom after a trip to Hawaii rather than pay for rooms before the team's flight home.

Ehhhhh. As soon as the Bulls job opened up, Hoiberg was gone. He even said himself that if the opportunity was perfect, that he would take the pro level job. And the stuff about the hotel room is only half the story, because their flight to leave got delayed by 8 hours. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to book a bunch of hotel rooms for another day when the plane would be leaving before evening. Pollard might not be very good, but this article needed a fact-checking session.

I never know which team I should be poking at with friendly banter.

It's always safe to dump on Auburn.

The Temple/ECU game isn't crazy but it is pretty good football, so if you are bored tonight and the PAC-12 game is slow the end of that one might turn out to be pretty good.

ag-my001

I don't want to troll, I just want to be able to poke a little fun without going over into mean spirited territory. You know, like mentioning the kick six to Bama fans, or commenting on the energizer tortillas at Texas Tech.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Plenty of mean spirited things to throw Aggies way, some might even burn down CFB-GAF, ending everything we've built up.

...and I still want to use it.

Speaking of horrible things happening, sounds like a JUCO/Lower division football game, just got called/cancelled, because of violence.

Scott Walters ‏@dispatchscott 22m22 minutes ago
The game has ben called ... Final - No. 3 EMCC 48, Mississippi Delta 0

The game has been called due to "violent ejections" for both teams
CR91J1VUwAAxmwm.jpg

I'm so football starved I started watching this Temple game and now I'm rooting for the little guys. They could be 7-0 for the first time in school history, which is pretty neat.

Hard J

Banned
If...

Ole Miss wins out, wins the SEC championship game, finishes 11-2

Florida State or Clemson win out, win the ACC championship game, finish 13-0

Ohio State or Michigan State (or Iowa lol) win out, win the Big Ten championship game, finish 13 - 0

Baylor or TCU win out, win the Big 12 and are undefeated

Utah wins out, wins the Pac 12 championship game, finishes 13 - 0

Memphis wins out, wins the AAC championship game, finishes 13 - 0

Notre Dame wins out, finishes 11 -1

If - and this is a very strong if - if this were to happen, is there literally any way that the SEC doesn't get a school in the second annual CFB playoff? There may very well be five undefeated teams by the end of the regular season - one of which literally beat Ole Miss.

Can you even begin to fathom the anguish that ESPN would face?

If...

Ole Miss wins out, wins the SEC championship game, finishes 11-2

Florida State or Clemson win out, win the ACC championship game, finish 13-0

Ohio State or Michigan State (or Iowa lol) win out, win the Big Ten championship game, finish 13 - 0

Baylor or TCU win out, win the Big 12 and are undefeated

Utah wins out, wins the Pac 12 championship game, finishes 13 - 0

Memphis wins out, wins the AAC championship game, finishes 13 - 0

Notre Dame wins out, finishes 11 -1

If - and this is a very strong if - if this were to happen, is there literally any way that the SEC doesn't get a school in the second annual CFB playoff? There may very well be five undefeated teams by the end of the regular season - one of which literally beat Ole Miss.

Can you even begin to fathom the anguish that ESPN would face?

I still hold true to the idea that no undefeated P5 team will be left out of the playoff. We're a little over halfway through the season and it will sort itself out, but four undefeated teams in the playoff would be insane.

Dsyndrome

I don't want to troll, I just want to be able to poke a little fun without going over into mean spirited territory. You know, like mentioning the kick six to Bama fans, or commenting on the energizer tortillas at Texas Tech.

Apparently everyone hates Domers, so it seems like you're good for that one.

The only undefeated G5 program that could get through to the playoffs was Boise St. Even if the other schools go undefeated they simply don't have the pedigree or SOS to get through the committee.

andycapps

See, we need an actual spreadsheet with rooting interests around here. I never know which team I should be poking at with friendly banter.

Auburn and GA Tech are always safe options. Though with the latter you'll likely get a snarky remark correcting you on not knowing the difference between a cut block and a chop block.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
See, we need an actual spreadsheet with rooting interests around here. I never know which team I should be poking at with friendly banter.

We tried that before and it didn't go well.

Also this list that went around a while back. I think that's the most recent version of it but I didn't spend much time searching.

I wouldn't clown on TTech unless you like walls o' text.

Every fanbase in the country gets accused of throwing batteries, and attaching a battery to a tortilla would just ruin the aerodynamics anyway, so he'll have to bring some better smack than that to summon Pristine.

Auburn and GA Tech are always safe options. Though with the latter you'll likely get a snarky remark correcting you on not knowing the difference between a cut block and a chop block.
I would gladly accept some chop blocks this season. It would be an upgrade over our current strategy of just letting every defender run directly at the QB unimpeded.

jjasper

I mean really? That guy has serious problems.

Edit: holy shit that twitter feed is pretty awesome.

(And by awesome I mean what the fuck is wrong with him)

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I imagine a person who was already mentally deranged, finds out that you can only get "so poor" that nothing else can hurt him. Dude still has to be on the hook for thousands of dollars of fines. But fuck that, lets find more ways to remind everyone of that thing he did.

Jhriad

Yeah, unfortunately the one we had was ruined. The comment fields were amusing but changing the school identification field meant that it became sorta useless in the long run.

Top Bottom