• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2015 Week Four Thread: Keep Calm - There Is No God

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
After finding the context of the situation I've decided that if no one else will, I will.

For Gondo.

I'm trying to find the Oklahoma State-centric avatar I used last year for game week. Not on any of the computers I currently use regularly so it must be on my old laptop.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I was at Bama undergrad for DuBose.

Thankfully, Saban had just been hired when I came back for law school.

And our leading rusher from last year was just kicked off the team. Granted, he was a non-factor this year, but just adds to the fire at this point.

All eyes on President Hitt. Brent Key cannot become the next coach. GOL can't be both AD and head coach. He's already been publicly saying he doesn't enjoy the politics of the AD job.

Best move for the school is to retire after this year with many thanks. Then fire or demote Key. His units have consistently underperformed anyway... he's our previous OLine coach.

We're a very young team with players with zero experience at QB, WR, and RB, but still. Just a perfect storm of suck. Questionable coaching. Injuries. Youth.

Dsyndrome

I had Bob Davie, George O'Leary for a few weeks, Tyrone Willingham, and just started the Charlie Weis era during undergrad.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
My senior year (2005) was pretty good. We went 9-3 with our only losses being to -

1. National Champion Texas
  2. Alabama, a 13-10 loss in the Cotton Bowl in a game in which they won at the last second with the ugliest field goal I've ever seen and in which their only TD was a 77 yard screen pass that should have been called down for a loss when he caught it (knee touching the ground)
  3. the Fighting Gondos, who were 3-5 at the time while we were 8-1 and ranked #13.

Finished the year #19 AP and #20 Coaches.

Nialrot

And our leading rusher from last year was just kicked off the team. Granted, he was a non-factor this year, but just adds to the fire at this point.

All eyes on President Hitt. Brent Key cannot become the next coach. GOL can't be both AD and head coach. He's already been publicly saying he doesn't enjoy the politics of the AD job.

Best move for the school is to retire after this year with many thanks. Then fire or demote Key. His units have consistently underperformed anyway... he's our previous OLine coach.

We're a very young team with players with zero experience at QB, WR, and RB, but still. Just a perfect storm of suck. Questionable coaching. Injuries. Youth.

Pretty amazing how we go from winning a significant BCS bowl game and consistent winning seasons to the crap shoot in a single season.

It's just terrible football at this point and I'm not looking forward to our beat down by the OBC.

Yo I swear to god if we don't use our fucking WRs against Tennessee and play this run-run-run-pray-for-defense-to-bail-us-out game plan again, I am going to fucking LOSE it.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Below is what graduation, suspensions, and attrition have done to the TCU defensive starting lineup over their last 3 games.

B58yMIJ.png

Only one starter left from last season (Kindred), and only 5 left from week one of this season (though I think Lathan may be returning).

Judging by the way Tech fans are acting about this game you'd think we were the ones ranked in the top 5 and this weekend would be a steamrolling. I'm not so optimistic. They still have just about the entire offense that last year put up 82 on us (though admittedly they were still throwing deep balls and flea flickers in garbage time so that's a bit inflated) so if we manage a win I don't think it will be by very many points.

Pretty amazing how we go from winning a significant BCS bowl game and consistent winning seasons to the crap shoot in a single season.

It's just terrible football at this point and I'm not looking forward to our beat down by the OBC.
Yeah no kidding. I'm constantly thanking myself for going to the Fiesta Bowl. I'll just keep holding onto that experience. And last year too as we did well.

But hero to zero... I don't think anyone on offense other than the line played at all in 2014 at this point.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Arkansas repeats their #5 position in the ESPN Bottom 10, while the new addition of Rutgers to the list means that Rutgers v Kansas will officially be a matchup of the only 2 P5 teams that are truly on the list (since the parody #5 slot doesn't really count).

AntoneM

I got to watch Dirk Koetter; all offense no defense and lineman weren't all that important. Thankfully that ended when Dennis Erickson came in and finished the job by killing the offense.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Auburn's benched Heisman frontrunner Johnson, putting in snowboarding phenom Shaun White.

Potential rumor is that Johnson attempted to punch someone else. He either broke someone's nose, or missed wildly and hit Mrs. Malzahn in the boobs.

Lorenzo's Oil Nunez is also apparently going to start for USCe. I don't know anything about him or that team. SPUUUURRRIIIIOOOOORRRRR

It's going to be hilarious. I can't wait to watch it.

I'm deluding myself into believing that we'll open up on Tennessee in the pass game (don't think there's really anyone in that secondary that matches up well with Demarcus Robinson) and make this a comfortable win. But I thought we were going to do that against Kentucky too. Perhaps being at home will give this staff some balls. I mean, if we were stellar at running I might be ok with the Muschamp-style offense, but we're not.

xeris

MOV Game (Tiebreaker ONLY)
UMass v. Notre Dame - ND by 27

Saturday
Southern Miss v. Nebraska (-24.5) NO COVER
CMU v. MSU (-28.5) NO COVER for self loathing
Kansas v. Rutgers (-13.5) NO COVER
UCF v. SCAR (-14.5) COVER
LSU (-27.5) v. Syracuse NO COVER
WMU vs. Ohio State (-31) NO COVER
Tennessee v. Florida (-3.5) NO COVER
Gondo State v. Texas (-6.5) NO COVER
UL Monroe v. Bama (-38.5) COVER
USC (-6.5) v. ASU COVER

Limedust

Auburn's benched Heisman frontrunner Johnson, putting in snowboarding phenom Shaun White.

Potential rumor is that Johnson attempted to punch someone else. He either broke someone's nose, or missed wildly and hit Mrs. Malzahn in the boobs.

Seriously hoping it was Option B.

Karl2177

MOV Game (Tiebreaker ONLY)
UMass v. Notre Dame - ND by 33

Saturday
Southern Miss v. Nebraska (-24.5) COVER
CMU v. MSU (-28.5) NO COVER
Kansas v. Rutgers (-13.5) NO COVER
UCF v. SCAR (-14.5) COVER
LSU (-27.5) v. Syracuse COVER
WMU vs. Ohio State (-31) COVER
Tennessee v. Florida (-3.5) NO COVER
Oklahoma State v. Texas (-6.5) NO COVER
UL Monroe v. Bama (-38.5) COVER
USC (-6.5) v. ASU COVER

hey, the flag is on the right side of the pole, just like Quinn Sharp's FG in 2011.

For GONDOOOO(r)

But yeah, he had a user ID in the 300's. 1st Day guy, back on 6-6-2004.

I wish I would have come up with that being one of the few Iowa State fans here. RIP Gondo

andycapps

Lorenzo's Oil Nunez is also apparently going to start for USCe. I don't know anything about him or that team. SPUUUURRRIIIIOOOOORRRRR

I saw that Jeremy Johnson was out. Probably makes all the preseason pundits that had him penciled in as a Heisman frontrunner upset. I know ESPN already wrote an article today about how wrong they were about Auburn. They seem so sad.

Nunez is probably a better option than using a walk-on at QB. Nunez isn't exactly the type for Spurrier, he's an option QB and moved the chains a lot better than whatever the other guys name was. The problem is that either he doesn't know any pass plays or they weren't confident in him calling any, so every time he was in against UGA you knew he was going to run. That said, he probably gives them a better chance of winning and if you think your team is toast now, as I believe Spurrier does, you start planning for next year when Nunez is likely the guy anyway.

I'm deluding myself into believing that we'll open up on Tennessee in the pass game (don't think there's really anyone in that secondary that matches up well with Demarcus Robinson) and make this a comfortable win. But I thought we were going to do that against Kentucky too. Perhaps being at home will give this staff some balls. I mean, if we were stellar at running I might be ok with the Muschamp-style offense, but we're not.

I have no hope in either team putting together a competent gameplan and being able to execute it, but I'll enjoy watching because of who the teams are and how inept they are. I'm hoping that Tennessee wins so that they can get their statement win there and not against us in a few weeks.

I have no hope in either team putting together a competent gameplan and being able to execute it, but I'll enjoy watching because of who the teams are and how inept they are. I'm hoping that Tennessee wins so that they can get their statement win there and not against us in a few weeks.

Careful now. You probably thought we were inept last year (and you were right), but we know how that turned out against UGA ;)

Haha the run game didn't work out so well against Kentucky so I hope we put the ball in the air.

Yeah exactly; I mentioned the same thing earlier. UT missing Maggitt will be a big help though.

Did anyone see this about the Big 10?

They will count Army (not Navy or AFA), UConn, Cincy, BYU, ND as P5 opponents for purposes of meeting their new scheduling philosophy.

Talk about insult to injury.

Lunar15

If Grier has to run as much as he did in the Kentucky game, he'll be out with injury by the second quarter. Dude was totally struggling in the 4th in that game, clutching his chest, etc.

Army makes sense because if you count one FBS independent you should count them all. But then they go on to select a couple of seemingly random teams from the American conference to count as a P5 game which makes no sense. I guess UConn is going to get a lot of phone calls from B1G schools.

BTW counting Army and UConn kinda defeats the purpose of what the Big 10 was going for in playing mandatory P5 schools.

El_Chino

Careful now. You probably thought we were inept last year (and you were right), but we know how that turned out against UGA ;)

Yeah exactly; I mentioned the same thing earlier. UT missing Maggitt will be a big help though.
If we play well against the Vols at home we might have a chance against Ole Miss.

Wonder if its due to them being in BCS bowls recently also due to proximity.

Urbz also said hes going to name a "clear starter" tomorrow after practice. Me thinks JT is getting the nod.

Chuckie Keeton is out 4-6 weeks with an ACL sprain. That's the official line. Unofficially , his playing career in an Aggie uniform is over.

Life isn't fair. He tried SO hard for years to recover from his injuires, gave it 150% but it just wasn't enough.

Wonder if its due to them being in BCS bowls recently also due to proximity.

Urbz also said hes going to name a "clear starter" tomorrow after practice. Me thinks JT is getting the nod.

JT didn't perform better than Cardale last week, however JT probably wasn't expected to play that day either so he was caught off guard somewhat. Yes I know backups should be ready at moments notice but there's definitely a different mentality going into a game knowing you're starting vs. knowing you probably wont take a snap.

JT didn't perform better than Cardale last week, however JT probably wasn't expected to play that day either so he was caught off guard somewhat. Yes I know backups should be ready at moments notice but there's definitely a different mentality going into a game knowing you're starting vs. knowing you probably wont take a snap.

The offense has ran smoother anytime JT has been in the game, plus cardale has been getting 70% of practice snaps. Cardale had some really terrible body language last 2 games after getting pulled and a lot of finger pointing on the field. Without a deep thread and the lack of push the line has been getting Cardale is basically useless, dink and dunk passes arent his game like they are JTs.

Jhriad

Whoo boy, just caught up on that thread. That's why I rarely post outside of these threads.

If it was in regards to the post I read it wasn't even really that out of line, which is the egregious bit of it. If we're expected to behave with decorum and refrain from comments similar the EL post he was was responding to, I don't see why we shouldn't have the same expectations of Evilore and any other individual with power. They should be setting the example, not shirking the established code of conduct because they can. If I understand it right, that's why some folks weren't fond of a select number of previous mods because it felt like they would occasionally act in a manner contrary to the rules they're supposed to enforce. Obviously he owns the site and can do whatever he wants but there are better ways to phrase what he was trying to get across and lashing out at someone that calls the remark into question isn't a great reaction.

cdyhybrid said:
Ya'll are gonna get us NBA-GAF'ed.

Yeah, I'm not trying to get got. I'll move on.

bucknuticus said:
The offense has ran smoother anytime JT has been in the game, plus cardale has been getting 70% of practice snaps. Cardale had some really terrible body language last 2 games after getting pulled and a lot of finger pointing on the field. Without a deep thread and the lack of push the line has been getting Cardale is basically useless, dink and dunk passes arent his game like they are JTs.

It was really weird how in the VT game they were running the speed option with Cardale, then when JT came in, they started with the power running game and the deep ball. It played exactly to the other guy's talent.

I think JT is a better fit for this offense at the moment, especially when OSU either doesn't have a deep threat talent, or that talent hasn't shown itself yet. I've also been concerned about how Cardale has acted when things haven't gone well. That said, whoever Urban goes with, I hope he sticks with him as a starter, good or bad, and stops this split practice, split playing time nonsense. I'm starting to get a bad Stanley Jackson/Joe Germaine vibe out of this whole thing.

Stanley Jackson said:
"It's all about the chemistry of the team rallies around the quarterbacks," Jackson said. "You don't want to have two factions: A Cardale team and a J.T. team. Everyone has to be on the same page.

"There's no question there were guys who liked me and guys who liked Joe. I don't think I was as mature as these two guys, quite frankly, and the team was split at times. While we were winning it was good, but when there was a struggle, it could be bad."

Playing quarterback is about confidence, and Jackson said it's almost impossible to maintain it when you don't know if you're in for the next series.

"If we didn't score by at least the third drive that I'm in, I'm probably going to be on the bench, so there's decision I'd make to force a ball that I wouldn't do if I knew I was playing the whole game," Jackson said. "That's the challenge."

Exactly.

Top Bottom