• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2015 Week Nine Thread: Clemson, Clemsoned

Rutgers might not fire Flood due to the fact that there are billion openings this year.

They won't be firing Flood, because he's done nothing to deserve being fired. He's doing the best he can with Schiano's leftovers and inherited issues from the Schiano years. Once he gets all of us players in, you will see marked improvement. That should be next year.

You can go join your friend RutgersAl in calling for Flood's head!

So realistically how much would I be paying for an SEC championship ticket? Like super nosebleed?

I've always had student tickets at UF, or always haggled day-of for tickets but I'm not sure if that'll work for this considering Stubhub is going for ~350

Not sure anymore, but the best tickets are part of "travel packages" that include hotel, air, etc.

cdyhybrid

Vegas also lists Utah as underdogs against 4-4 Washington.
I think it's a winnable game, but I dunno if I'd have us favored. Looks like an overreaction by gamblers to us boatracing a bad Zona team.

Four games left and we need two wins for bowl eligibility. Utah, @ASU, @OSU, Wazzu. ASU is probably a loss, especially in the desert. We haven't beaten them in forever. OSU should be a win, they're really bad. So we need to beat either Utah or Wazzu. Both will be tough games, even though they're at home.

Draxal

Any program where the best you can say is that they "probably could" beat Kansas is also really really bad.

I mean we even beat them.

Please fire Richt UGA, I'd drive him up to New Brunswick in a second (I understand UGA needs to move on but god damn he would be such a huge upgrade over Flood).

cdyhybrid

Please fire Richt UGA, I'd drive him up to New Brunswick in a second (I understand UGA needs to move on but god damn he would be such a huge upgrade over Flood).
Would he really go to Rutgers over the other jobs opening up? USC?

Draxal

Would he really go to Rutgers over the other jobs opening up? USC?

No, I just don't think USC would go after him and I don't think alot of the midtier jobs would go after him. I see USC going after an up and comer, not a ... has been. However, a mid tier opening would get him (and not us).

andycapps

UGA won't fire Richt this year. If anything, he decides that he doesn't want to coach anymore and steps down, or if he wants to stay and the AD wants to make a change, they'll work something out to where he isn't "fired". You can't fire a 15 year head coach and expect to get a coach worth a damn to accept the job opening. Schottenheimer getting fired is a very real possibility, though Richt has been very loyal to his coaches in the past. In hindsight, him being loyal to Bobo all those years that a very vocal minority wanted him fired seems more wise at this time. It also had us stuck with Willie Martinez for a year or two longer than we should have been. I think Schottenheimer is much closer to Martinez than he'll ever be to Bobo.

And if Richt went anywhere, it wouldn't be Rutgers. No offense. And really, a change of scenery for him may not be the worst thing that could happen for him. May give him more energy.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
UGA won't fire Richt this year. If anything, he decides that he doesn't want to coach anymore and steps down, or if he wants to stay and the AD wants to make a change, they'll work something out to where he isn't "fired". You can't fire a 15 year head coach and expect to get a coach worth a damn to accept the job opening. Schottenheimer getting fired is a very real possibility, though Richt has been very loyal to his coaches in the past. In hindsight, him being loyal to Bobo all those years that a very vocal minority wanted him fired seems more wise at this time. It also had us stuck with Willie Martinez for a year or two longer than we should have been. I think Schottenheimer is much closer to Martinez than he'll ever be to Bobo.

And if Richt went anywhere, it wouldn't be Rutgers. No offense. And really, a change of scenery for him may not be the worst thing that could happen for him. May give him more energy.

Richt hasn't lost control of the Hawaiian Islands...yet.

Draxal

Oh I'll think he'd get a better job than Rutgers, but I'd still try to drive him up here and give him the keys.

cdyhybrid

No way any established coaching candidate with any juice left takes that job. It'll have to be a has-been or someone with little to no D1 coaching experience. Facilities are awful, the stadium is empty, and it's difficult to recruit there.

Seriously Draxal?!!?!?

WTF?!

We have a great head coach. He's got a record of 26-21.

His name is Kyle Flood.

Can't wait for you to send in a totally anonymous confession that reads something like this:

hello. I have been stanning on gaf for a coach that as of october 2015 looks like is probably on his way out. At first I only did it to humor myself, but as time went on I kept doing it out of some twisted sense of duty and I now find myself inside a hole too deep to back out.

andycapps

I was talking about the rumblings that were posted today (surprised that you haven't posted them yourself.

https://twitter.com/FootballScoop/status/661265160451940352

Oh wow. That would be the only way that Richt gets fired.. Enough big donors reach out to the AD and say they're done until he's gone.. Or, the high ranked recruiting class starts dropping like flies.

That said, if Richt is gone, Jacob Eason is likely going to Notre Dame or Michigan. We can all agree that's a bad thing.

Ha, I think USCe is a better possibility if he did leave. And that scares the shit out of me.

Oh I'll think he'd get a better job than Rutgers, but I'd still try to drive him up here and give him the keys.

He'd be like a fish out of water at Rutgers.

cdyhybrid

Oh wow. That would be the only way that Richt gets fired.. Enough big donors reach out to the AD and say they're done until he's gone.. Or, the high ranked recruiting class starts dropping like flies.

That said, if Richt is gone, Jacob Eason is likely going to Notre Dame or Michigan. We can all agree that's a bad thing.

Ha, I think USCe is a better possibility if he did leave. And that scares the shit out of me.

He'd be like a fish out of water at Rutgers.
I'm glad our new/current OC blew it with Eason right off the bat. Ugh. At least we have Browning.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I'm glad our new/current OC blew it with Eason right off the bat. Ugh. At least we have Browning.

I just want Eason to go somewhere else. Like watching the world burn.

Dan Wolken actually said that Jimbo Fisher could go from FSU to Georgia, if it comes open.

cdyhybrid

Yeah I didn't understand how your school wasn't at least in the running. He never even considered them.
Just bad timing. Coaching change right as he hit the recruiting stage, plus he didn't really click with our new OC. We've lost Max Browne to USC and Eason to Georgia now recently. Sigh.

Browning is the future, but there's not much going on behind him. We have 2-3 years to find the next guy and get him ready to step in.

andycapps

Honestly, I think VPI is his landing spot, if this were to happen. I don't think SCAR wants your sloppy seconds.

Sakerlina could do a lot worse than him. Like, most of their football history worst.

I just want Eason to go somewhere else. Like watching the world burn.

Dan Wolken actually said that Jimbo Fisher could go from FSU to Georgia, if it comes open.

Real possibility of that if Richt gets fired and the hire isn't a home run hire, or if the search process takes too long. Though I do think that Richt would still try to call all his recruits and try to talk them into staying committed to the school and each other.

If he went somewhere else, I don't know that he'd try to get prospects to come there, though Eason may follow him wherever he went. That's provided that Richt doesn't retire and become a missionary like half the fanbase seems to think is his end goal.

I could be down with Fisher being at UGA. It's undoubtedly a good gig, but that is surprising to me. Though Dan Wolken is obviously more plugged in than I am.

Just bad timing. Coaching change right as he hit the recruiting stage, plus he didn't really click with our new OC. We've lost Max Browne to USC and Eason to Georgia now recently. Sigh.

Browning is the future, but there's not much going on behind him. We have 2-3 years to find the next guy and get him ready to step in.

Yeah, coaching changes can wreak havoc in recruiting. One reason all this talk worries me, but if a change is going to happen, they can't let that be the determining factor.

Draxal

Wolken's been playing the ACC is the weakest of the power 5 drum for a while now, basically saying if this happens, FSU will do anything in its power to get out the AC (A tacit admission that an ACC team has to be perfect to get into the playoffs)..

So the U is selling this

S2SRn5x.png

Floyd, I don't see too good, does it look like it has the player down or the blocks in the back?

andycapps

Dean Legge of Dawgpost (one of my favorite beat writers) breaks down the crossroads that UGA is at, the offensive regression under Schottenheimer, and the ramifications if some or all of Richt, Schottenheimer, and Pruitt were fired.

Georgia’s offense last season set a a school record for points scored. This season Georgia has scored ten points or fewer in three SEC games for the first time since 1972. In other words, last season was historically good on offense; this season it has been near historically bad. That sort of crazy up and down should never happen - no matter how crazy the amount of variables in play. Scoring touchdowns shouldn’t be this difficult for an offense equipped with two five-star running backs (Michel and Marshall) and an offensive line that returned four of five starters - no matter how bad the quarterback play is.
It is pure unadulterated failure on the part of Schottenheimer, and it is Richt’s fault for hiring him. That Georgia fails to convert third downs at record pace is a failure, too. There are so many failures on offense that there is no way Schottenheimer can be considered anything other than a failure. I should just leave it there, but I feel like I have to continue.

The negligence of development and questionable decision making on the offensive side of the ball is breathtaking. Again, it is historically bad - there really are not cute or snarky ways to explain how bad it is. Being cute and snarky is a disservice to the folks who spend thousands of dollars to travel to games to watch what can only be described as a shit show.

Top Bottom