• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2015 Week Nine Thread: Clemson, Clemsoned

CSvmRk_WoAAYjI1.jpg:large

Bruce Feldman ‏@BruceFeldmanCFB
The ACC has suspended the on-field officiating crew, the replay official & communicator that did the #UM #Duke game: https://t.co/pVdZMNHq1T

Still can't believe they took that long to review, then reviewed it some MORE, and STILL couldn't make even ONE of the right calls.

How useless are Steak-n-Shake's fries? Too thin to retain heat. If not for absorbing double their weight in grease, they'd be hard as a brick, too.

Yeah.. can only be eaten in-store. Also generally needs their fry seasoning at minimum.

Still, they're not as bad as In-n-Out fries. Goddamn they're terrible. Well-done and animal style are required to even have a chance with them.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I'm glad Miami has jokes, since their program is in shambles and their most iconic play in years is a ref screwjob needed to beat a basketball school.

Truth be told, Duke plays better when unranked and a chip on the shoulder. Coupling the outcome this week with UNC's typical classes locker room spray paint fun, the team should be pissed off. If they are not pissed off, Cutcliffe isn't doing his job right.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Yeah.. can only be eaten in-store. Also generally needs their fry seasoning at minimum.

Still, they're not as bad as In-n-Out fries. Goddamn they're terrible. Well-done and animal style are required to even have a chance with them.

You are a crazy person.

In n Out fries ain't great, but Steak and Shake fries are useless.

cdyhybrid

Managed to snag a ticket for UW-Utah next weekend. Game is an afternoon game (thank goodness), but it's at 4:30 so it will probably still be dark :jnc

60% chance of rain, as well.

andycapps

Are the Gators that good, or is UGA just that horrible this year?

Anyway, go Gators!

UGA is inexplicably bad right now. Starting to wonder if the team has quit on Richt or if Schottenheimer is that bad of an offensive coordinator.

The run blocking is absolutely horrible this year. OL was supposed to be a strength with 4 of 5 starters returning and a lot of seniors on the line. The pass blocking hasn't been great. The receivers aren't catching anything. There has been no progression by any of the QB's. Bauta might actually be an improvement on Lambert, which sounds funny when he had 4 interceptions Saturday, but 2 of those were off receivers hands and should have been caught. There were 3 dropped TD's. Where the fuck did that come from? Did they forget how to catch?

It was a game where anything that could go wrong, went wrong. The defense actually played pretty well considering I think 20 of those 27 points were on the offense. Also, how the fuck do you have a dual-threat QB in there yet only run him 3 times? How the fuck do you abandon the wildcat playcall with Sony Michel at QB when the first play of the game it worked, yet was negated by a stupid holding penalty? Come back to it later. The playcalling was absolute shit.

Anyone in UGA's fanbase still thinking that Jacob Eason has no shot of coming in and starting as a freshman obviously hasn't been watching the team play this year.

Schottenheimer will need to go at the end of this season if Richt wants to save his job, long-term. I actually haven't been too hard on the fire Mark Richt train (read my post from a couple weeks ago on this), but when UGA hasn't scored a TD since the Tennessee game, that's abysmal performance. Yeah, that's on Schotty, but the hiring of Schotty is on Richt, and the firing of Schotty should be on Richt too. Need to get a young OC from a program that's putting up a ton of points, though it's going to be hard to find one of those that can adapt to a pro-style skillset.

I really miss Mike Bobo, Todd Gurley, and Aaron Murray being on the team right now.

El_Chino

UGA is inexplicably bad right now. Starting to wonder if the team has quit on Richt or if Schottenheimer is that bad of an offensive coordinator.

The run blocking is absolutely horrible this year. OL was supposed to be a strength with 4 of 5 starters returning and a lot of seniors on the line. The pass blocking hasn't been great. The receivers aren't catching anything. There has been no progression by any of the QB's. Bauta might actually be an improvement on Lambert, which sounds funny when he had 4 interceptions Saturday, but 2 of those were off receivers hands and should have been caught. There were 3 dropped TD's. Where the fuck did that come from? Did they forget how to catch?

It was a game where anything that could go wrong, went wrong. The defense actually played pretty well considering I think 20 of those 27 points were on the offense. Also, how the fuck do you have a dual-threat QB in there yet only run him 3 times? How the fuck do you abandon the wildcat playcall with Sony Michel at QB when the first play of the game it worked, yet was negated by a stupid holding penalty? Come back to it later. The playcalling was absolute shit.

Anyone in UGA's fanbase still thinking that Jacob Eason has no shot of coming in and starting as a freshman obviously hasn't been watching the team play this year.

Schottenheimer will need to go at the end of this season if Richt wants to save his job, long-term. I actually haven't been too hard on the fire Mark Richt train (read my post from a couple weeks ago on this), but when UGA hasn't scored a TD since the Tennessee game, that's abysmal performance. Yeah, that's on Schotty, but the hiring of Schotty is on Richt, and the firing of Schotty should be on Richt too. Need to get a young OC from a program that's putting up a ton of points, though it's going to be hard to find one of those that can adapt to a pro-style skillset.

I really miss Mike Bobo, Todd Gurley, and Aaron Murray being on the team right now.
Florida sent in Schottenheimer (played for UF) to sabotage UGA as payback for UGA sending in Muschamp to sabotage Florida.

latest

andycapps

Florida sent in Schottenheimer (played for UF) to sabotage UGA as payback for UGA sending in Muschamp to sabotage Florida.

latest

Haha no kidding, starting to feel like Schottenheimer is tanking this on purpose. His playcalling is inexplicable. I'd love to talk to some of the "Fire Mike Bobo" guys right now and see if they'd like Bobo back now and get back to averaging 36 points a game.

This is really setting up all according to plan. If Richt sticks with Schottenheimer, that means another bad year for UGA next year with Eason in his first year, and Chubb's last year. Then the next year, Richt steps down and they hire Bobo back as head coach.

Good article by Andy Staples about Mark Richt.

There have been dozens of times when Richt was the coach with all the answers. There was that day in Knoxville in his debut season in 2001, when the Bulldogs ran a play-action pass from David Greene to Verron Haynes and the hobnail boot came crashing down on Tennessee's face. There was that day in Atlanta in '05, when his team jumped out to a two-touchdown lead in the first quarter and dominated LSU the rest of the way. There was that day in Jacksonville in '07, when Georgia's entire team stormed the field to celebrate its first touchdown and then proceeded to pour pain on Tim Tebow and the Gators.

That's the question Georgia athletic director Greg McGarity must ask. The Bulldogs should have been the best program in the SEC East every season since Tebow left Florida. They were the best in the division in 2011 and '12, and in the latter year they came five yards away from an SEC championship that would have won them a berth in a BCS national title game against Notre Dame. Georgia probably would have won that game, too. But since then, even with Florida and Tennessee down in '13 and '14, Georgia could not win the East. Now, the Bulldogs have rolled over against what likely will be the worst Florida team they will see for the next five years. They have lost to a Tennessee team that should be even better next year. Georgia has a highly ranked recruiting class coming in—headlined by quarterback Jacob Eason of Lake Stephens, Wash.—but Georgia always brings in highly ranked recruiting classes. Being the dominant program in the state that produces more Power Five talent than any other besides Florida and Texas (reference No. 3 in First-and-10 in that link) virtually guarantees that Georgia will always have access to the raw materials it needs.

Even though I've been quite vocal about my opinion that Georgia is now the nation's best coaching job, and that the correct coach could go on a Nick Saban-type run in Athens, the school's decision to keep or replace Richt isn't as simple as some of my colleagues and some Georgia fans are making it out to be.

McGarity has to weigh some critically important factors. All he needs do is look to Nebraska to see what happens when you fire a successful-but-not-quite-successful-enough coach without having a solid plan for seeking his replacement. Georgia should not part ways with Richt unless McGarity is absolutely certain he can get the kind of coach who can go on that Saban-type run.

El_Chino

Haha no kidding, starting to feel like Schottenheimer is tanking this on purpose. His playcalling is inexplicable. I'd love to talk to some of the "Fire Mike Bobo" guys right now and see if they'd like Bobo back now and get back to averaging 36 points a game.

This is really setting up all according to plan. If Richt sticks with Schottenheimer, that means another bad year for UGA next year with Eason in his first year, and Chubb's last year. Then the next year, Richt steps down and they hire Bobo back as head coach.

Good article by Andy Staples about Mark Richt.

It's truly amazing how much influence Tebow had on the SEC.

andycapps

Yeah, if I was a UGA fan I'd be wondering what the fuck happened to that O line. Veteran guys who seem to be getting pushed around a lot. Michel and Marshall are good enough to have a solid running game, it seems to me.
Completely agree. But hey, running up the middle on 3rd and 1 without a fullback is on Schotty. That's just dumb. Or a toss sweep without lead blockers. What in the fuck.

KU's squad this year has to be in the running for worst FBS-era team ever.

Weis completely decimated that program. Which wasn't exactly a stellar program to begin with, but it's still pretty remarkable.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member

Weis completely decimated that program. Which wasn't exactly a stellar program to begin with, but it's still pretty remarkable.

They're going to be in for a loooooooooong rebuilding period. I've heard they're only at 60 or so scholarship players right now.

They may need to keep their current coach around for at least 4 or 5 years no matter his results on the field just so they can build a full roster. By comparison, Texas Tech will only be solving the numbers issues (talent issues aside) that Tuberville left us with in this upcoming recruiting class, which is Kliff's 3rd full class, and we weren't as bad off as they were when we started.

Kansas City Royals scored more runs in the post season than KU football has scored all season.

I'm counting 90 postseason runs for the Royals and 132 points for the Jayhawks.

They're going to be in for a loooooooooong rebuilding period. I've heard they're only at 60 or so scholarship players right now.

They may need to keep their current coach around for at least 4 or 5 years no matter his results on the field just so they can build a full roster. By comparison, Texas Tech will only be solving the numbers issues (talent issues aside) that Tuberville left us with in this upcoming recruiting class, which is Kliff's 3rd full class, and we weren't as bad off as they were when we started.

I'm counting 90 postseason runs for the Royals and 132 points for the Jayhawks.

God damn internet lying to me

edit: the stat was for big 12 conference play, vindicated!

I'm looking forward to Texas v. Kansas this week

Iowa State beat KU by 25
Iowa State beat Texas by 24
therefore
Texas should beat KU by 1 point

Man... I'm disappointed in you andycapps.

You need to support your head coach. You can't be a fairweather fan like a lot of the simpletons on this board. SUPPORT YOUR COACH NO MATTER WHAT!

Mark Richt is a great coach. It's the fucking media, and the refs that are blocking him from winning.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Turns out that UGA's 2013 recruiting class is really hurting them this year. Of 32 signees, only 17 are still on the team. Of those, only 5 have started a game this season. Makes sense why UGA is playing so many true freshmen since there is a real dearth of talented upperclassmen.

Massive roster attrition from the Tuberville classes is really probably the biggest problem we've had lately. By class -

2011 - 27 signed, 8 still on the team.
2012 - 27 signed, 8 still on the team.
2013 - 23 signed, 15 still on the team. (coaching transition class here)

We signed 13 DL players in 2011 and 2012, and only 1 of them is still around (2 if you count DE Pete Robertson, but he was originally signed as an OLB). Signed 9 LBs in those two classes, and only 3 are left.

What should be the junior and senior backbone of our defense simply doesn't exist.

andycapps

Man... I'm disappointed in you andycapps.

You need to support your head coach. You can't be a fairweather fan like a lot of the simpletons on this board. SUPPORT YOUR COACH NO MATTER WHAT!

Mark Richt is a great coach. It's the fucking media, and the refs that are blocking him from winning.

I gotta say that your dedication to one of the typical sides of message board fandom is to be admired. Haha

Massive roster attrition from the Tuberville classes is really probably the biggest problem we've had lately. By class -

2011 - 27 signed, 8 still on the team.
2012 - 27 signed, 8 still on the team.
2013 - 23 signed, 15 still on the team. (coaching transition class here)

We signed 13 DL players in 2011 and 2012, and only 1 of them is still around (2 if you count DE Pete Robertson, but he was originally signed as an OLB). Signed 9 LBs in those two classes, and only 3 are left.

What should be the junior and senior backbone of our defense simply doesn't exist.

Yeah, roster attrition has been huge. Doesn't help that Richt was undersigning in 2012, for some reason. I don't know if he was saving up scholarships for 2013, but we're seeing how that worked out. Team has a real lack of quality depth, which isn't the sole problem right now by any means, but it's certainly a contributing factor.

So realistically how much would I be paying for an SEC championship ticket? Like super nosebleed?

I've always had student tickets at UF, or always haggled day-of for tickets but I'm not sure if that'll work for this considering Stubhub is going for ~350

Top Bottom