• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2015 Week Nine Thread: Clemson, Clemsoned

So will the pollsters punish Duke for losing due to a blatantly incorrect series of officiating decisions?

Yes. At the end of the day, the outcome will rule the day. The blown calls will be a footnote.

Late add:

Even after tonight's debacle in Durham, Pac-12 still gets dumped on.

HALLRAISER ‏@edsbs 4h4 hours ago
Like they saw Miami/Duke and thought, "Boys, we gotta defend our throne."
Adam @TheAddictedDuck
@edsbs PAC12 Refs make ACC refs look like pros

Bruce Feldman ‏@BruceFeldmanCFB 3h3 hours ago
Who knows with Pac12 refs .. they may announce that Duke won the game today.

cdyhybrid

Yes. At the end of the day, the outcome will rule the day. The blown calls will be a footnote.

Late add:

Even after tonight's debacle in Durham, Pac-12 still gets dumped on.

Our refs being shit isn't anything new.

It should be a weekly narrative, honestly - how are these guys still so terrible at their jobs?

Man... I can't wait until the Schiano era players leave. Once Flood gets all his guys in, then Rutgers is going to be really rolling.

Flood is working on recruiting and he's going to get this fixed. He's got a great class coming in with one four star recruit. He's filled all the holes on the roster.

Yesterday's loss was on Schiano. Flood did a great job, per usual, with the parts that he had.

Meier

CSvmRk_WoAAYjI1.jpg:large

Bruce Feldman ‏@BruceFeldmanCFB
The ACC has suspended the on-field officiating crew, the replay official & communicator that did the #UM #Duke game: https://t.co/pVdZMNHq1T

Draxal

Man... I can't wait until the Schiano era players leave. Once Flood gets all his guys in, then Rutgers is going to be really rolling.

Flood is working on recruiting and he's going to get this fixed. He's got a great class coming in with one four star recruit. He's filled all the holes on the roster.

Yesterday's loss was on Schiano. Flood did a great job, per usual, with the parts that he had.

RutgersAl did such a glorious rant against Flood today. It was amazing.

Draconian

CSvmRk_WoAAYjI1.jpg:large

Bruce Feldman ‏@BruceFeldmanCFB
The ACC has suspended the on-field officiating crew, the replay official & communicator that did the #UM #Duke game: https://t.co/pVdZMNHq1T

As a sidenote here, the NFL rule on offensive penalties at the end of halves is much better. There's no scenario in which an untimed down after an offensive penalty ever makes sense.

ag-my001

So the ACC has admitted in writing that the runner was down and the game should have been over right there. But they're not overturning the outcome because...?

jbug617

Banned
Frank Beamer retiring at the end of the season.

@mikejurecki: Source: #VirginiaTech Frank Beamer has told his staff that he's retiring after the season, scheduled to meet with the team this afternoon.

The Flop

Banned
Are the Gators that good, or is UGA just that horrible this year?

Anyway, go Gators!

I think it's safe to say that UGA is in a heap of trouble, when they started their 3rd string QB, and had their 2nd string QB punting the ball. Their offense is broken without Chubb.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Yep. Absolute garbage that decision can't be reversed.

It was the last play of the game. It's not like a missed hold early in the 2nd. It was clearly thr main reason the game ended as it did, and there is zero reason they shouldn't be able to reverse it.

I love how the ACC's only response is "welp, yeah yall got screwed. Thems the breaks tho". As if suspending refs makes anything better for Duke.

Oh well, basketball season starts in two weeks.

inm8num2

AP Poll

1. Ohio State
2. Baylor
3. Clemson
4. LSU
5. TCU
6. Michigan State
7. Alabama
8. Notre Dame
9. Stanford
10. Iowa
11. Florida
12. Oklahoma State
13. Utah
14. Oklahoma
15. Memphis
16. Michigan
17. Florida State
18. Houston
19. Ole Miss
20. Toledo
21. North Carolina
22. UCLA
23. Temple
24. Mississippi State
25. Texas A&M

ag-my001

Does any sport organization overturn games after the fact? Would really set a precedent they're not ready to take.
I agree that you should get into a habit of changing the outcome of a game after the fact for almost all cases. You just don't know what would've / could've happened.

This is the sole exception.

1) The play was already reviewable.
2) The correct call was visible on replay.
3) There is a clear, definite outcome if the play had been called correctly, because the game would be over with 0:00 on the clock. No untimed down would have occurred.

Now if the knee hadn't been down, that would be a different story. Since we have no way of knowing what would have happened on the last untimed down, however unlikely, the outcome should stand, and the refs should be punished for missing it.

But we do know.

I live in Maryland. I shouldn't care about Duke this much, but I hate seeing this.

Zach

It's going to be a fun final month in the Big 12. Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, and Baylor all play each other. :D

Does any sport organization overturn games after the fact? Would really set a precedent they're not ready to take.
Horse racing and the Olympics/international events maybe? That's probably it.

This is unique as it was the final play and the missed penalty would have ended the game, though. I'm sure the many lawyers and admin that write the rulebooks could build in specific situations like this where the game would have ended.

ag-my001

Horse racing and the Olympics/international events maybe? That's probably it.

This is unique as it was the final play and the missed penalty would have ended the game, though. I'm sure the many lawyers and admin that write the rulebooks could build in specific situations like this where the game would have ended.
The penalty would have given Miami an untimed down.

The knee is what should've ended the game, as the ACC statement itself says.

In baseball if a bad call is made you can choose to play a game under protest. The tape is then set to the league office and if they decide you were right the game will be replayed from the point you declared you were playing under protest.

I can't think of a single instance where it actually worked though.

Draconian

Let's look at the logic of an untimed down after an offensive penalty.

"Hey guys, we realize you broke the rules on that play, but it's unfair that the clock ran out on you while doing so, so here's a free play."

Sheer lunacy.

ag-my001

In baseball if a bad call is made you can choose to play a game under protest. The tape is then set to the league office and if they decide you were right the game will be replayed from the point you declared you were playing under protest.

Pine tar game?

The amount of resources that would have to be used to replay that kickoff with 6 seconds left on a future date in Duke's stadium is probably too much. There's a 99.9% chance that Miami won't be able to repeat the miracle but with that said, it may be the only way to "make it right".

Draconian

The George Brett pine tar incident in 1983 is the only one that comes to mind.

ag-my001

Let's look at the logic of an untimed down after an offensive penalty.

"Hey guys, we realize you broke the rules on that play, but it's unfair that the clock ran out on you while doing so, so here's a free play."

Sheer lunacy.
You are correct. This is also the theory that says if the snap for the PAT is bobbled, everyone on the offense should commit as much holding as necessary to get the two point conversion so that the defense had to let you take another attempt.

Also see Bielema's abuse of the stupid clock rules to run out the game by repeatedly being offsides on the kickoff.

Top Bottom