• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2015 Week One Thread: One True Champion(TM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjasper

Current status
KinYwkJ.jpg
You collection of stuff on the floor looks very similar to mine.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
I still don't get the stupid touchback rule. Do you have to control the ball in order to down it?

DominoKid

god Sakerlina must be ass if they're having a hard time with us.

lmao at all the empty seats. what a bust of a game. charging $80 for them top deck seats when they should've been about $20. PSG and Chelsea put more people in BOA than this.

They're also not prepping a month for it.

but they see it every year, they know what they are in for.

If they cant prepare a FBS div 1 team for an offense they know that they will get a whole season out, and one they have played before, they arent worth a dime.

GT are one of the top teams in the ACC. Every coach will know what he will want to try and do against them months out from the game.

If they cant prepare a FBS div 1 team for an offense they know that they will get a whole season out, and one they have played before, they arent worth a dime.

GT are one of the top teams in the ACC. Every coach will know what he will want to try and do against them months out from the game.

Do you not understand how player turnover changes how coaches prepare their defenses?

This isn't the NFL. In college, you have limited practice time and you have higher player turnover due to graduation. Just because the coach has seen it every year, does not mean the players have. They can't even practice with the team until August, so you can't be coaching your team to defend it "months out"

Do you not understand how player turnover changes how coaches prepare their defenses?

honestly, I cant say I know how they prepare their defences.

But as far as I am aware, a defensive coordinator does not change his system every year. He recruits players which he believes will be a good fit for his system. He does not lose the entire defensive team each year either.

A lot of GT hate is pretty much because people don't like their teams to look bad defensively one week a year.

This isn't the NFL. In college, you have limited practice time and you have higher player turnover due to graduation. Just because the coach has seen it every year, does not mean the players have. They can't even practice with the team until August, so you can't be coaching your team to defend it "months out"

You have 12 games and 3-4 days a week of practice time. These kids also need to study, work jobs (for the most part), go to class, they need to retain an assload of information. That's why the Option is so effective when you have minimal time to account for it and so easy to pick apart when you can prep. It's stupidly simple as far as offensive concepts are concerned.

But as far as I am aware, a defensive coordinator does not change his system every year. He recruits players which he believes will be a good fit for his system. He does not lose the entire defensive team each year either.

A lot of GT hate is pretty much because people don't like their teams to look bad defensively one week a year.

Coaching doesn't work like that. A system doesn't just exist in a vacuum. You have to teach these kids unique concepts each team their going up against uses before each and every game. A triple option takes time to learn in practice, break down in the film room, get gap assignments down. The reason it works is because they don't have muscle memory hammered in to mind their gaps and play the pitch man or the up back or the Y or whoever they're assigned to trail. If you have a month where you can practice far more than you normally can, get more film time than you normally can, and have these players properly ready, it's a very easy offense to understand.

cdyhybrid

You have to keep defenses simple unless you have a veteran team, because you have limited time to practice with the players. You just don't have the time to teach them more complex schemes like you might find in the NFL. The only time you'd be able to really dig deep is if you have a squad of mostly upperclassmen.

You have to keep defenses simple unless you have a veteran team, because you have limited time to practice with the players. You just don't have the time to teach them more complex schemes like you might find in the NFL. The only time you'd be able to really dig deep is if you have a squad of mostly upperclassmen.

This is why the college game favors the offense.

Not going to lie, I am going to be happy to switch over to Michigan / Utah in a bit. These teams are real rough basically everywhere.

They change their system once a year for the option. There is only one way to defend the option and it is completely different than any other type of defense you would run. So a coach has 4-5 days to implement a completely new defense for his team. That's why if you give a coach 4-5 weeks instead of 4-5 days, the option team tends to do a lot worse.

I know you cant coach your team year round. But the defensive coordinator can still prepare without the team.

Also, practice is limited for study for exams before Bowls isn't it?

So saying that their bowl record is bad because teams have longer to prepare for it is not a valid argument either then? Bowl preparation is pretty disrupted isn't it?

I know you cant coach your team year round. But the defensive coordinator can still prepare without the team.

So saying that their bowl record is bad because teams have longer to prepare for it is not a valid argument either then? Bowl preparation is pretty disrupted isn't it?

No it's not. Sure some bowl games need to take a break for finals or whatever, but there is massively more prep and practice time before a bowl game than before a regular season game.

Also a DC can prepare for it all he wants, but you still have to teach these kids, in about 3-4 days, how to play a completely different style of defense where you're defending individual players instead of gaps.

The coordinator is not on the field. Every coordinator knows how to stop the option. It's getting the players to play a very specific way with only several days of practice.

And yes, they have finals, but they usually get about a week or two of practice after finals where they have no school work at all.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

No.

cdyhybrid

The coordinator is not on the field. Every coordinator knows how to stop the option. It's getting the players to play a very specific way with only several days of practice.

And yes, they have finals, but they usually get about a week or two of practice after finals where they have no school work at all.

Yep. The problem isn't the coach figuring out what to do, it's getting the players to a point where THEY know what to do and can still play at full speed.

You have 12 games and 3-4 days a week of practice time. These kids also need to study, work jobs (for the most part), go to class, they need to retain an assload of information. That's why the Option is so effective when you have minimal time to account for it and so easy to pick apart when you can prep. It's stupidly simple as far as offensive concepts are concerned.

Coaching doesn't work like that. A system doesn't just exist in a vacuum. You have to teach these kids unique concepts each team their going up against uses before each and every game. A triple option takes time to learn in practice, break down in the film room, get gap assignments down. The reason it works is because they don't have muscle memory hammered in to mind their gaps and play the pitch man or the up back or the Y or whoever they're assigned to trail. If you have a month where you can practice far more than you normally can, get more film time than you normally can, and have these players properly ready, it's a very easy offense to understand.

They change their system once a year for the option. There is only one way to defend the option and it is completely different than any other type of defense you would run. So a coach has 4-5 days to implement a completely new defense for his team. That's why if you give a coach 4-5 weeks instead of 4-5 days, the option team tends to do a lot worse.

There are some valid points there, but some I don't agree with.

I have never played football so maybe I cant understand the unintuitive nature of football players to adjust to what they see on the field. Why cant good footballers adjust to a different game style more easily?

I played Australian rules football, where you are not really fixed to a certain position and play offence and defence simultaneously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom