• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2015 Week One Thread: One True Champion(TM)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad that reigning B1G Coach of the Year Jerry Kill made it a game.

lolHarbaugh.

If minny has a quarterback instead of this thing masquerading as a quarterback known as Mitch Leidner.. I really think they could have won last night. They have now shown me that they are a dark horse to win the division.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Buckeyes are going to beat the breaks off VT. Urban doesn't fuck around in revenge games.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=302750333 ?

For those of you keeping score at home:

name [ score ]
chaosblade [ 2 ]
StrikerObi [ 2 ]
AlteredBeast [ 2 ]
Frustrated_Grunt [ 2 ]
Battlezone [ 2 ]
xeris [ 2 ]
Fragamemnon [ 2 ]
Kacar [ 2 ]
timetokill [ 2 ]
KingGondo [ 2 ]
theprodigy [ 2 ]
Westonian [ 2 ]
jjasper [ 2 ]
jhriad [ 2 ]
TS-08 [ 2 ]
Karl2177 [ 2 ]
FloydtheFathead [ 2 ]
ryseing [ 2 ]
cdyhybrid [ 1 ]
chicko1983 [ 1 ]
lonestar [ 1 ]
perfectchaos007 [ 1 ]
Randolph Freelander [ 1 ]
andycapps [ 1 ]
Ganhyun [ 1 ]
zyxwvu4321 [ 1 ]
bucknuticus [ 1 ]
Mac the Knife [ 1 ]
Chris R [ 1 ]
ag-my001 [ 1 ]
GoldenEye007 [ 1 ]
FelixOrion [ 1 ]
sf2fanatic [ 1 ]
MrJames [ 1 ]
cashman [ 1 ]
PhoenixDark [ 1 ]
JCX [ 1 ]
ConfusingJazz [ 1 ]
The Outsider [ 1 ]
Dsyndrome [ 0 ]
Monroeski [ 0 ]
pxleyes [ 0 ]

andycapps

I don't even care about the rest of the games this weekend. Let's go back to the off season.

IFjtV8B.gif

Jhriad

Maybe I'm just not thinking straight yet this morning but I don't know what these standings are.

If it's the pick 'em I should have 1 point.

Thursday
South Carolina (-3.5) vs. UNC - NO COVER
TCU (-19.5) vs. Minnesota - COVER

SCAR won by 4 so they covered and TCU won by less than 19.5 so they didn't cover. No controversy here. Maybe I'm misreading it, this cover stuff is new to me.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Ov96vYp.gif

So, what college sports radio station call-in show do you think he's waiting to pick up his call?
It's Michigan

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
SCAR won by 4 so they covered and TCU won by less than 19.5 so they didn't cover. No controversy here. Maybe I'm misreading it, this cover stuff is new to me.

Dammit you're right, I keep flipping things under this new system.

I agree with somebody else in the thread earlier that said we should change the phrasing from "Cover" and "No cover" to something else more obvious.

Sulik2

That Michigan/Utah game was very entertaining. Michigan's D looks ready, their offense is still a work in progress. Utah looked like a solid team again.

ag-my001

Dammit you're right, I keep flipping things under this new system.

I agree with somebody else in the thread earlier that said we should change the phrasing from "Cover" and "No cover" to something else more obvious.
Everything was written in terms of the favorite, so I thought that was pretty clear. Some lines go by home team, some by away.

I guess you could state the team you think would win if the line were factored in, but that's really the same thing.

Upshot: turns out very few of us are degenerate gamblers.

mre

Thursday
South Carolina (-3.5) vs. UNC - NO COVER
These were your picks. South Carolina beat UNC by 4, so they COVERED (i.e., they beat UNC by more than 3.5 points). TCU only beat Minnesota by 6 points, so they were a NO COVER (they did not beat Minnesota by more than 19.5 points).

Edit: beaten on the explanation.

I gave examples in the OP. :(

Thursday
South Carolina (-3.5) vs. UNC
TCU (-19.5) vs. Minnesota
Friday
Michigan State vs. Western Michigan MOV TIE BREAKER
Saturday
New Mexico State vs. Florida (-36.5)
Louisville v. Auburn (-14.5)
BYU v. Nebraska (-9.5)
Texas v. Notre Dame (-11.5)
Wisconsin v. Alabama (-11.5)
Arkansas St. v. USC (-33.5)
Stanford (-12.5) v. Northwestern
Ohio State (-17.5) v. VA Tech

Here's an example as to how you should post your picks:

Thursday
South Carolina (-3.5) vs. UNC - COVER
Friday
Michigan State vs. Western Michigan MOV TIE BREAKER - MSU by 28
Saturday
New Mexico State vs. Florida (-36.5) NO COVER
Louisville v. Auburn (-14.5) COVER
BYU v. Nebraska (-9.5) COVER
Texas v. Notre Dame (-11.5) - NO COVER
Wisconsin v. Alabama (-11.5) - NO COVER
Arkansas St. v. USC (-33.5) - COVER
Stanford (-12.5) v. Northwestern - NO COVER
Ohio State (-17.5) v. VA Tech - COVER

Here is what is being said with those picks:

Thursday
South Carolina (-3.5) vs. UNC - COVER | This pick is for SoCar to beat UNC by 4 or more points.
TCU (-19.5) vs. Minnesota - COVER | This pick is for TCU to beat Minnesota by 20 or more points
Friday
Michigan State vs. Western Michigan MOV TIE BREAKER - MSU by 28 | This pick is for MSU to beat WMU by 28 points.
Saturday
New Mexico State vs. Florida (-36.5) NO COVER | This pick is for Florida to either beat NMSU by 36 or fewer points or to lose to NMSU.
Louisville v. Auburn (-14.5) COVER | This pick is for Auburn to beat Louisville by 15 or more points.
BYU v. Nebraska (-9.5) COVER | This pick is for Nebraska to beat BYU by 10 or more points.
Texas v. Notre Dame (-11.5) - NO COVER | This pick is for Notre Dame to either beat Texas by 11 or fewer points or to lose to Texas.
Wisconsin v. Alabama (-11.5) - NO COVER | This pick is for Alabama to either beat Wisconsin by 11 or fewer points or to lose to Wisconsin.
Arkansas St. v. USC (-33.5) - COVER | This pick is USC to beat Arkansas State by 34 or more points.
Stanford (-12.5) v. Northwestern - NO COVER | This pick is for Stanford to either beat Northwestern by 12 or fewer points or to lose to Northwestern.
Ohio State (-17.5) v. VA Tech - COVER | This pick is for OSU to beat VA Tech by 18 or more points.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Everything was written in terms of the favorite, so I thought that was pretty clear. Some lines go by home team, some by away.

I gave examples in the OP. :(

I know, I fully admit that it's just me mixing things up all on my own. Combination of re-reading my picks and not seeing the word "NO" and accidentally setting my guess based on the underdog, not the favorite. Just rushing too much when putting the picks in, I think.

mre

I know, I fully admit that it's just me mixing things up all on my own. Combination of re-reading my picks and not seeing the word "NO" and accidentally setting my guess based on the underdog, not the favorite. Just rushing too much when putting the picks in, I think.
Do you want me to flip your other picks?

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Do you want me to flip your other picks?

I'll go through it today and PM you if there are any changes I want to make.

I put it together originally over a few hours while I was at work so my mindframe may have switched back and forth a few times.

mre

I'll go through it today and PM you if there are any changes I want to make.

I put it together originally over a few hours while I was at work so my mindframe may have switched back and forth a few times.

sounds good.

mre

That's cool. Now why don't you post his full record in revenge games.
Don't care... I posted the only "revenge" game of his I do care about. Was that or was that not a revenge game I linked to? Did he or did he not get his ass kicked in that game?

JCX

Never thought I'd hear from Laura Alaina again, especially not in an EDM song on an ESPN commercial.

-ACC
Coastal - Georgia Tech
Atlantic - Florida State

-B1G
East - Michigan State
West - Wisconsin

-Big 12 Baylor

-PAC 12
North - Oregon
South - UCLA

-SEC
East - South Carolina
West - Alabama

-AAC
East - East Carolina
West - SMU

Playoff Semi
1. Baylor
2. Alabama
3. Ohio State
4. UCLA

Finals
1 Baylor
2 Ohio State

Champion
Ohio State

andycapps

"Meyer said he met with both QBs on Wednesday to let them know who was ahead, but he won't name a starter until Saturday."

Well I don't want to say I told you so, but this is what I was talking about. The coaches have likely known all week but they wanted the QB's to keep trying to outwork each other so they're letting the QB's know when they head to the hotel. I'd have done it earlier, but I'm not Corch.

Man look at the florida roster, woof

They were his recruits, no? And yeah, that cupboard was bare. Still is, but that's Agent Muschamp's responsibility.

Yeah, what a tough situation Urban was in that year, what with having a roster of players entirely recruited by his predecessor and with none of his own players.

He had some big swig and misses at the end of his gata career on QBs thats for sure.

To be fair, same year he got Brantly they had also had Cam Newton signed on.

andycapps

He had some big swig and misses at the end of his gata career on QBs thats for sure.

To be fair, same year he got Brantly they had also had Cam Newton signed on.

Cam Newton got kicked off the team, then you had Rainey, Hernandez, Spikes, etc. Lot of talented players there, actually.

RB, Elijah Holyfield (son of Evander Holyfield), committed to UGA today over Bama, Auburn, and tOSU. This had been expected, but still good news. Strong kid around Chubb's size, don't know if he's as strong as Chubb yet but we'll see what he does in his last season of HS. He's the #1 RB in GA and was their #1 target, so nice that they got him.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm kinda double happy.

A) While I am not a big fan of playing Thur doing it for the opener and looking good means I can watch all the games these weekend with no worries about my team

B) Made a conscious decision this year to sit out all of the extracurricular stuff. No pickems or fantasy teams mean I can watch when I want to with no extra bullshit

Now onto the weekend slate of games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom