• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2015 Week One Thread: One True Champion(TM)

Status
Not open for further replies.
CBS Sports CFB ‏@CBSSportsCFB 48m48 minutes ago
Clemson, the Citadel join Gamecocks in wearing Charleston shooting decal http://cbsprt.co/1L9Ot5w (Via @ClemsonFB)

COFLP09WwAAnKlD.jpg:large

^

AntoneM

I thought they had one more year in FCS. I mean they were struggling against itty bitty teams like Garner Webb and NC Central just last year.

How good you are doesn't factor much into moving from FCS to FBS. Facilites and funding are much more important (and potential TV revenues).

ryseing

They don't have to be though with their offense and Patterson can probably make shift enough of a defense to make a run for a championship.

Minny's QB is bad and they still gave up 17 with a potential game winning drive.

Boykin's going to shred every B12 defense so it might not be an issue but if a Baylor shootout happens like last year I don't see TCU coming out with the W. Patterson may be a defensive genius but ultimately you have to work with the personnel you're given. Linebackers/secondary might be a problem.

How good you are doesn't factor much into moving from FCS to FBS. Facilites and funding are much more important (and potential TV revenues).

Which is why it's a bit baffling Coastal got the Sun Belt nod over Liberty. Facilities are top notch and Falwell's been pouring loads of money into athletics.

A Turner Gill football team probably isn't that enticing I suppose.

I thought they had one more year in FCS. I mean they were struggling against itty bitty teams like Garner Webb and NC Central just last year.

Their deal was 2 years in FCS, then up to FBS. I want to say that was a recent NCAA requirement for new football programs.

Minny's QB is bad and they still gave up 17 with a potential game winning drive.

Boykin's going to shred every B12 defense so it might not be an issue but if a Baylor shootout happens like last year I don't see TCU coming out with the W. Patterson may be a defensive genius but ultimately you have to work with the personnel you're given. Linebackers/secondary might be a problem.

you are right if minny has a competent qb, they win. Patterson should make Leidner the MVP as he basically handed them the W both years with his shit play.

I simply have more faith in TCU's offense than Baylor's right now(they are breaking in a new qb, when I see them play; I'll probably reevaluate my stance because admittedly I don't follow the BIG XII over the other conferences) and if I have to pick a defense between TCU and Baylor. You bet I'm picking the frogs over Baylor.

Boise State/UW

Aww, CDY. Believe in Pete man.

you are right if minny has a competent qb, they win. Patterson should make Leidner the MVP as he basically handed them the W both years with his shit play.

I simply have more faith in TCU's offense than Baylor's right now(they are breaking in a new qb, when I see them play; I'll probably reevaluate my stance because admittedly I don't follow the BIG XII over the other conferences) and if I have to pick a defense between TCU and Baylor. You bet I'm picking the frogs over Baylor.

Aww, CDY. Believe in Pete man.

I was feeling really down after the game yesterday, but I think getting out of there with a win is good enough for me. Minnesota was good last season, and there was a lot of hype from UM fans. Was surprised to see the offense struggle. Thankfully for TCU, they've got some time against crummy opponents to work through some issues at the moment.

It's such uncharted territory as a fan. Even in 2010 when they started the season #4, TCU very much felt on the outside looking in. This year will be super interesting. I really hope the spotlight isn't too big for them.

I actually have no idea what will happen. I just assume the worst.

I thought it would be a tough game when they came into Husky Stadium two seasons ago and we blew the doors off of them, so who knows.

So you basically have take a browns like approach with the Huskies.. BG, Kave, and I will be happy that the cynicism is alive in you.

Anyway, the only thing Pete needs is time. He's in a weak division where basically Oregon and Stanford are the only things stopping him. Time is all that's need for Pete.

I was feeling really down after the game yesterday, but I think getting out of there with a win is good enough for me. Minnesota was good last season, and there was a lot of hype from UM fans. Was surprised to see the offense struggle. Thankfully for TCU, they've got some time against crummy opponents to work.

Don't feel too bad. Minny is a tough opponent. There is a damn good reason Kill won BIG CoY over Urban (besides bias). Kill delivered the Gophers their best season in basically 50 years. He brought the program back from the dead.

The offense is just working back into fighting weight I bet. Give it time.

Subitai

Thursday
South Carolina (-3.5) vs. UNC - Overslept
TCU (-19.5) vs. Minnesota - Overslept a lot
Friday
Michigan State vs. Western Michigan - NO COVER
Saturday
New Mexico State vs. Florida (-36.5) - NO COVER
Louisville v. Auburn (-14.5) - COVER
BYU v. Nebraska (-9.5) - NO COVER
Texas v. Notre Dame (-11.5) - NO COVER
Wisconsin v. Alabama (-11.5) - COVER
Arkansas St. v. USC (-33.5) - COVER
Stanford (-12.5) v. Northwestern - NO COVER

Monday
Ohio State (-17.5) v. VA Tech - COVER

Let's remind everyone SMU went 1-11 last year.

Hadn't heard of him, but I don't follow recruiting closely. I think they said "committed", but he could have switched after we picked up others.

And TD SMU. Definitely not the same team from last year.

I believe he was considering the MLB draft even while committed to A&M. I don't know what happened in the middle but ultimately he's at SMU now

They do kinda look ok from the 10mins I have seen.

Thursday
South Carolina (-3.5) vs. UNC - Overslept
TCU (-19.5) vs. Minnesota - Overslept a lot
Friday
Michigan State vs. Western Michigan - NO COVER
Saturday
New Mexico State vs. Florida (-36.5)
Louisville v. Auburn (-14.5)
BYU v. Nebraska (-9.5)
Texas v. Notre Dame (-11.5) -
Wisconsin v. Alabama (-11.5) -
Arkansas St. v. USC (-33.5) -
Stanford (-12.5) v. Northwestern -
Ohio State (-17.5) v. VA Tech -

Rest tomorrow after I get more sleep

you need more sleep. Michigan st game was supposed to be pick the MOV, to use as a tie breaker game.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure what to watch until Washington/Boise, that's the only interesting looking game today.

Guess I'll watch the Berenstain Bears and see how much their defends folds to SMU's high caliber, top-tier offense.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Hadn't heard of him, but I don't follow recruiting closely. I think they said "committed", but he could have switched after we picked up others.
I believe he was considering the MLB draft even while committed to A&M. I don't know what happened in the middle but ultimately he's at SMU now
He did go to A&M for two years, but "what happened" is Manziel (who was one year older than him) and Kenny Hill (one year younger).

They also went bowling every year from '09 to '12, and had 5 wins in '13. Not that they're world-beaters or anything but the one win season last year was an anomaly; they're better than they showed in 2014 but I guess they were just a trainwreck behind the scenes (eg June Jones quitting early in the season for "personal issues" after losing their first two games 88-6)..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom