• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2015 Week One Thread: One True Champion(TM)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thursday
South Carolina (-3.5) vs. UNC - COVER
TCU (-19.5) vs. Minnesota - NO COVER
Friday
Michigan State vs. Western Michigan MOV TIE BREAKER - Michigan State by 40
Saturday
New Mexico State vs. Florida (-36.5) - NO COVER
Louisville v. Auburn (-14.5) - COVER
BYU v. Nebraska (-9.5) - COVER
Texas v. Notre Dame (-11.5) - COVER
Wisconsin v. Alabama (-11.5) - COVER
Arkansas St. v. USC (-33.5) - COVER
Stanford (-12.5) v. Northwestern - COVER
Ohio State (-17.5) v. VA Tech - NO COVER

Thursday
South Carolina (-3.5) vs. UNC - COVER
TCU (-19.5) vs. Minnesota - COVER
Friday
Michigan State vs. Western Michigan - MSU BY 21
Saturday
New Mexico State vs. Florida (-36.5) - NO COVER
Louisville v. Auburn (-14.5) - COVER
BYU v. Nebraska (-9.5) - NO COVER
Texas v. Notre Dame (-11.5) - COVER
Wisconsin v. Alabama (-11.5) - COVER
Arkansas St. v. USC (-33.5) - COVER
Stanford (-12.5) v. Northwestern - NO COVER
Ohio State (-17.5) v. VA Tech - COVER

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Huh, I wasn't even looking at it like that, but when your 2 worst teams are playing top 10 fcs teams I think it's safe to put them on upset watch.

You're saying Tech and Iowa State are both worse than Kansas?

::edit::
Changed the post from what Gondo quoted as I had Kansas' and ISU's opponents mixed up when I posted that. Kansas is the only one of the 3 not playing a top 10 FCS team.

KingGondo

Banned
You would slot Tech below Iowa State?
They did only beat ISU by 3 last year. (Edited because I'm dumb)

Although they should be comfortably better than ISU or KU this year.

My Big 12 tiers:

1st Tier:
Baylor
TCU

2nd Tier:
OSU
OU

3rd Tier:
WVU
Texas
KSU

4th Tier:
TTU
ISU

Shit Tier:
KU

AntoneM

You're saying Tech and Iowa State are worse than Kansas?

::edit::
Changed the post from what Gondo quoted as I had Kansas' and ISU's opponents mixed up when I posted that.

No, Kansas and ISU are the worst. I guess S. Dakota St. isn't in the top 10. Still a good team and #15.

I'd put money on each of the FBS teams to win though.

Fox Sports Go to have 5 separate feeds for its CFB opener, Michigan vs Utah, including a "khaki cam" focused on Harbaugh entire game

edit:

also no OSU depth chart at all on the site anymore, so maybe we dont get a starter today?

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
My Big 12 tiers:

snip

I think general consensus seems to be:

1st Tier:
Baylor
TCU

2nd Tier:
OSU
OU
WVU
UT
KSU

3rd Tier:
TTU

4th Tier:
ISU
KU

Maybe OU by themselves in the 2nd tier and shift everybody else down one.

Personally I think the only thing putting KSU above Tech is that Snyder is a sorceror and everyone's tired of the constant annual predictions that "this'll be the year that they finally fall off." Don't expect much from them this season at all, personally. They are replacing a lot of playmakers from last season.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I think Texas Tech will be pretty improved this year.

They hired a pretty good defensive coach I think. That's where their problems were last year.

Gibbs is our 8th DC since 2007. Only one DC since 2010 has lasted longer than a single season and that guy only lasted 1.25 seasons before being let go 3 games into 2014.

We've been hearing that our new DC will fix our defensive woes every season for a while now and we've basically done nothing but get worse. I like the Gibbs hire as well but honestly I won't believe anything is remotely fixed until I see it happen.

KingGondo

Banned
I think general consensus seems to be:

*snip*

Maybe OU by themselves in the 2nd tier and shift everybody else down one.

Personally I think the only thing putting KSU above Tech is that Snyder is a sorceror and everyone's tired of the constant annual predictions that "this'll be the year that they finally fall off." Don't expect much from them this season at all, personally. They are replacing a lot of playmakers from last season.
That's fair.

KSU will be well-coached and dangerous as always, but a good performance from the top 5 teams should pretty easily beat them this year.

Texas is the real enigma. I'm not getting strong vibes coming from Austin. Them against ND and OU vs. Tennessee will say a lot about both of those teams (although the Texas-ND game will probably be horribly boring).

Also, I think KU will likely be historically bad. Decent chance that they go winless.

cdyhybrid

Coach Pete probably isn't announcing his starter until the guy heads out onto the field for the offensive snap against Boise :p

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Must suck to have a QB controversy.

All hail Mason Rudolph.

Remember last season when he was supposed to redshirt behind Walsh and Garman? Good times.

Incidentally, Tech's 3rd string QB, a guy that transferred from Iowa and walked on a year ago, earned a scholarship a few weeks back. This means that Tech has 3 scholarship QBs on the roster at the same time for the first time since 2012.

KingGondo

Banned
Remember last season when he was supposed to redshirt behind Walsh and Garman? Good times.

Incidentally, Tech's 3rd string QB, a guy that transferred from Iowa and walked on a year ago, earned a scholarship a few weeks back. This means that Tech has 3 scholarship QBs on the roster at the same time for the first time since 2012.
Yeah, it's really too bad he wasn't able to redshirt. Walsh was clearly the QB they wanted to go with, but circumstances forced Gundy's hand. At least it worked out about as well as possible. Hung around with Baylor in the rain in Waco, beat OU in Norman and then Washington in the bowl game.

I'm excited to see what he can do this year with an actual OL and running game.

BTW, I'm not sure if you saw but Garman was just named the third-stringer at Maryland. That's how bleak things were last season.

pxleyes

Banned
heeyyyyy guys
siZiEMO.gif

Lunar15

heeyyyyy guys

This gif is outdated as of last month. Please comply with the University of Florida's new version of Albert and Alberta in all promotional material or prepare to suffer the consequence of having to be a wide receiver in a Will Muschamp coached offense for the rest of eternity.

Ah, fresh new thread smell. Also +1 to using mre's pick 'em instead of Yahoo, because resetting my Yahoo password for the Bowl Pick 'Em because I've forgotten it again is a long standing Battlezone family tradition. Also, I'm slowly becoming a degenerate gambler anyway, so this will hasten my slide down that slope.

Thursday
South Carolina (-3.5) vs. UNC COVER
TCU (-19.5) vs. Minnesota NO COVER
Friday
Michigan State vs. Western Michigan MOV TIE BREAKER MSU by 35
Saturday
New Mexico State vs. Florida (-36.5) COVER
Louisville v. Auburn (-14.5) COVER
BYU v. Nebraska (-9.5) NO COVER
Texas v. Notre Dame (-11.5) NO COVER
Wisconsin v. Alabama (-11.5) NO COVER
Arkansas St. v. USC (-33.5) COVER
Stanford (-12.5) v. Northwestern COVER
Ohio State (-17.5) v. VA Tech NO COVER

andycapps

I wouldn't consider Tennessee a known quantity at this time. They have talent coupled with inexperience and some serious depth issues on the O-line.

They have depth issues across the entire team, but you're right, they've recruited well the past couple years and have a much better first string than they've had for a while now. That OL could be their Achilles heal this year.

pxleyes

Banned
This gif is outdated as of last month. Please comply with the University of Florida's new version of Albert and Alberta in all promotional material or prepare to suffer the consequence of having to be a wide receiver in a Will Muschamp coached offense for the rest of eternity.

#NotMyAlbert

Piggus

Excited, but have the feeling that this season could either be great or terrible. I guess we'll see! Going to Eugene for the first Ducks home game next weekend.

Balphon

I've never seen a 3 QB system

Everyone rushing to adopt the tOSU scheme.

Excited, but have the feeling that this season could either be great or terrible. I guess we'll see! Going to Eugene for the first Ducks home game next weekend.

I feel pretty much the same way. I am anticipating a loss to MSU, but think they will pick up steam as the season goes on. Time will tell, I guess. I've been hurt before.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Alec Morris gonna run wild come postseason. 3rd? string and all.

the cutoff on the left side is making me confused on the DB positions. Maybe it's the 2 CB's, then the 2 Safeties, then the nickelback? Marlon Humphrey moving into #2 over Tony Brown is interesting. Fitzpatrick, too.

Chris Black is the perennial "almost ready" WR. Past up by the transfer from OSUw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom