• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2015 Week One Thread: One True Champion(TM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piggus

Everyone rushing to adopt the tOSU scheme.

I feel pretty much the same way. I am anticipating a loss to MSU, but think they will pick up steam as the season goes on. Time will tell, I guess. I've been hurt before.

I think we can beat MSU if we wear them down like we did last year, but if they're better conditioned this year it's going to be tough. We'd still probably be in the top four if MSU were our only loss, but that's a big if. The Pac-12 is pretty deep this year. Must be nice to be an OSU fan knowing your conference is a piece of garbage and your team's odds of winning most games is >90%. :/ I think the Buckeyes will slip up at some point though. They don't have any doubters, which is what they fed off of last year. Now they're just expected to win, and I think that will bite them.

xeris

Thursday
South Carolina (-3.5) vs. UNC - COVER
TCU (-19.5) vs. Minnesota - NO COVER

Friday
Michigan State vs. Western Michigan MOV TIE BREAKER - MSU by 20

Saturday
New Mexico State vs. Florida (-36.5) - NO COVER
Louisville v. Auburn (-14.5) - NO COVER
BYU v. Nebraska (-9.5) - NO COVER
Texas v. Notre Dame (-11.5) - COVER
Wisconsin v. Alabama (-11.5) - COVER
Arkansas St. v. USC (-33.5) - NO COVER
Stanford (-12.5) v. Northwestern - COVER
Ohio State (-17.5) v. VA Tech - COVER

Karl2177

I think general consensus seems to be:

snip
Based on reports from fall practices, I'd peg ISU to that TTU tier. That all could change after the first game if we manage to 3peat losing to an fcs team. Having said that, there's a decent chance that we start off 5-0. UNI is fcs and reloading. Iowa/ISU is almost always a tossup these days. Toledo is toledo. Kansas and Tech are in the bottom tiers of the conference. After that, it is a miracle to pull off a win. TCU, Baylor, Oklahoma, and Okie Lite all within 5 weeks.

Thursday
Friday
Michigan State vs. Western Michigan - MOV TIE BREAKER MICHIGAN STATE BY 31
Saturday
New Mexico State vs. Florida (-36.5) - NO COVER
Louisville v. Auburn (-14.5) - NO COVER
BYU v. Nebraska (-9.5) - COVER
Texas v. Notre Dame (-11.5) - NO COVER
Arkansas St. v. USC (-33.5) - NO COVER
Stanford (-12.5) v. Northwestern - COVER
Ohio State (-17.5) v. VA Tech - NO COVER

Never bet against the Dark Lord himself, BYU is one dimensional on offense and still has massive secondary problems, USC will find themselves in a much closer game than they bargained for, and Bud should keep VA Tech from getting completely blown out at home. TCU is a much better team than Minnesota but playing on the road plus the usual early season issues with smooth offensive performance make me think they can't run up a three TD lead on the Gophers.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Glad we still have Scott punting. Because we clearly don't have a QB. Sad to have all that talent at WR and no one to throw them the ball.

Hopefully the defense is better this year.

Balphon

I think we can beat MSU if we wear them down like we did last year, but if they're better conditioned this year it's going to be tough. We'd still probably be in the top four if MSU were our only loss, but that's a big if. The Pac-12 is pretty deep this year. Must be nice to be an OSU fan knowing your conference is a piece of garbage and your team's odds of winning most games is >90%. :/ I think the Buckeyes will slip up at some point though. They don't have any doubters, which is what they fed off of last year. Now they're just expected to win, and I think that will bite them.

Don't get me wrong, the team is certainly talented enough to beat MSU. It's just hard to be entirely confident when they're starting transfers at QB and Center. Still, I think there will be way more good than bad overall this year.

As for tOSU, it sure does seem like they're just waiting around to play Sparty in November, you're right.

The South is.. But the North is still garbage outside of Oregon and Stanford (must be nice be an Oregon fan then.. :) )And yes it's nice being Ohio state and it could bite us with being favored in every game.

Must be nice to be an OSU fan knowing your conference is a piece of garbage and your team's odds of winning most games is >90%. :/
Is that gauntlet of a Pac 12 schedule the reason we beat the shit out of you in the championship game? This whiny crap is lame, and you're better than it.

The B1G definitely isn't incredible (though it's not as bad as most make it out to be), but if our supposedly weak schedule ends up being a liability, we'll pay for it.

That's what's so great about finally having a playoff. Frauds in weak conferences will get exposed for being frauds.

Thursday
South Carolina (-3.5) vs. UNC COVER
TCU (-19.5) vs. Minnesota COVER
Friday
Michigan State vs. Western Michigan MSU by 20
Saturday
New Mexico State vs. Florida (-36.5) NO COVER
Louisville v. Auburn (-14.5) COVER
BYU v. Nebraska (-9.5) NO COVER
Texas v. Notre Dame (-11.5) NO COVER
Wisconsin v. Alabama (-11.5) COVER
Arkansas St. v. USC (-33.5) COVER
Stanford (-12.5) v. Northwestern COVER
Ohio State (-17.5) v. VA Tech NO COVER

jjasper

This year is gonna be weird with expectations and all.

Also can't wait for the 10 min segment devoted to how smart Josh Dobbs is each game.

Subitai

Gah. Missed the first page. Actually came to see who would make the week one thread.

Any new realignment news or rumors?

Kacar

This year is gonna be weird with expectations and all.

Also can't wait for the 10 min segment devoted to how smart Josh Dobbs is each game.
He's an engineer!! I can confirm it I've had multiple classes with him. He also has one of those silly no handle scooter thing he rides around all day on.

Draxal

Gah. Missed the first page. Actually came to see who would make the week one thread.

Any new realignment news or rumors?

GOR's pretty much killed off realignment, I think the Big Twelve needs to lose 5 teams at once to invalidate their GOR so that's our only hope.

Piggus

Is that gauntlet of a Pac 12 schedule the reason we beat the shit out of you in the championship game? This whiny crap is lame, and you're better than it.

The B1G definitely isn't incredible (though it's not as bad as most make it out to be), but if our supposedly weak schedule ends up being a liability, we'll pay for it.

That's what's so great about finally having a playoff. Frauds in weak conferences will get exposed for being frauds.

For the sake of your team, you better hope the players don't have the same attitude as you. I congratulated OSU after that game, even after having spent $1000 to attend it. I'm not going to make excuses for how we played in that game. We played like shit and you guys played an amazing game. Plain and simple. What do you want me to say? lol

Oregon is just the worst.

jameiswinstonflop.gif

It's true.

Will you guys be able to win the Cactus bowl this year? Only time will tell!

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
For the sake of your team, you better hope the players don't have the same attitude as you. I congratulated OSU after that game, even after having spent $1000 to attend it. I'm not going to make excuses for how we played in that game. We played like shit and you guys played an amazing game. Plain and simple. What do you want me to say? lol

Ohio State is just the worst.

For the sake of your team, you better hope the players don't have the same attitude as you.

Ehh, I feel fine about gloating for beating Oregon. That says nothing about how I feel about this season, considering our greatest successes last year were as underdogs.

I congratulated OSU after that game, even after having spent $1000 to attend it. I'm not going to make excuses for how we played in that game. We played like shit and you guys played an amazing game. Plain and simple. What do you want me to say? lol

Nothing. I just don't want to read whining about conference strength. Because it's just kind of sad and dumb.

Piggus

We'd have to make the Cactus Bowl first, so hard to say!

Well I do hope you guys do better. Because right now the Pac-12 is like a guy with wanker's arm who does a lot of squats but doesn't even lift. We need more good teams in the north.

Ehh, I feel fine about gloating for beating Oregon. That says nothing about how I feel about this season, considering our greatest successes last year were as underdogs.

Nothing. I just don't want to read whining about conference strength. Because it's just kind of sad and dumb.

So how do you feel about this season?

cdyhybrid

Well I do hope you guys do better. Because right now the Pac-12 is like a guy with wanker's arm who does a lot of squats but doesn't even lift. We need more good teams in the north.

Unless a bunch of our young guys surprise, we're probably looking at a 7-win season at best. Just too much inexperience this year, especially if we end up starting a true freshman QB.

Pretty much every conference with divisions is horribly unbalanced at this point.

It is what it is.

So how do you feel about this season?

Very nervous, actually. Suffice it to say that I don't see repeating champs being a common occurrence under a playoff system.

andycapps

Pretty much every conference with divisions is horribly unbalanced at this point.

It is what it is.

Things have a way of being cyclical. What you can see though with the B1G is that they set it up with most of the historical powers in one division. So that part could be a very real problem.

Balphon

Cal legitimately looks like an up and coming program a team on the upswing. Washington is also super young and should get better if not this year then next.

Things have a way of being cyclical. What you can see though with the B1G is that they set it up with most of the historical powers in one division. So that part could be a very real problem.

I still think geographical divisions are preferable to ones crafted in an attempt to achieve competitive balance. It's easier to maintain rivalries with geographical divisions and the competitive balance-based divisions rarely end up being balanced anyway.

I think it's only a serious issue for the B1G if Wisconsin and/or Nebraska enters a prolonged downturn. If those two programs take an Iowa-style slide to complete irrelevance, then yeah, we've got a problem.

Draxal

UCF is waiting on that BIG 12 invite with open arms!

inc they're already champions of the Big 12 post.

I think the Big 10 could use one big thumper in the west right now, but I think it'll balance itself out in the end.

If you aren't smart enough to understand that you clearly aren't Georgia Institute of Technology material.
You don't have to be as high as Georgia Tech material to understand but you apparently have to have a basic intelligence level that just isn't found at third tier schools like UGA or Oklahoma St.

Insert "you don't know what the difference is between a cut block and chop block" argument here.

I agree. The plus is that Georgia Southern is a good warmup for Tech.
I would take Southern a little more seriously than that. Not only do they run a different offense but they run it well. They may be the best offense we saw last year.

andycapps

I still think geographical divisions are preferable to ones crafted in an attempt to achieve competitive balance. It's easier to maintain rivalries with geographical divisions and the competitive balance-based divisions rarely end up being balanced anyway.

I think it's only a serious issue for the B1G if Wisconsin and/or Nebraska enters a prolonged downturn. If those two programs take an Iowa-style slide to complete irrelevance, then yeah, we've got a problem.

Is it too soon to say Nebraska is in a state of downturn?

yellowjacket25 said:
I would take Southern a little more seriously than that. Not only do they run a different offense but they run it well. They may be the best offense we saw last year.

Oh they're a dangerous team, no doubt. People outside the region criticize power 5 teams for scheduling teams with directions in the title (like UCF), but Georgia Southern is a really good program.

Welcome to the club, Gondo! Enjoy making hamburgers at Mcdonald's because that's all your degree is good for.

Kacar

Wait what? You're a Tennessee student?
I am. My whole family is from Youngstown but we moved to the Nashville area when I was very young. It was convenient for my dad and older brothers because a couple years later Eddie George ended up on the Titans so they got to see him a bunch.

I got accepted to Ohio State but the out of state tuition was too much so I ended up at UT. I wish I was at OSU though.

Kacar

Thursday
Friday
Michigan State vs. Western Michigan MOV TIE BREAKER - MSU by 35
Saturday
New Mexico State vs. Florida (-36.5) NO COVER
Louisville v. Auburn (-14.5) NO COVER
BYU v. Nebraska (-9.5) NO COVER
Texas v. Notre Dame (-11.5) - COVER