• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2015 Week One Thread: One True Champion(TM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I feel like you made things harder on yourself mre by making it COVER vs NO COVER. That is going to be hard to scan for.

Simply having people list the teams they think will "win" against the spread or changing the words to something more easily distinguishable should help you compare lists to the real results.

So instead of COVER and NO COVER, do COVER and MISS or something. Just a suggestion.

andycapps

If I keep my head down I might make shift supervisor by the end of the year. Feels good man.

Woof woof.

Pew pew.

Pew pew. I love it.

BertramCooper said:
Personally, I'd hold off using that term until they've had a sub-.500 season.

Right, but after Nebraska did what they did in the 90's, isn't what they've been doing pretty disappointing to the fans? I mean, they considered it enough of a downturn that they fired Pelini. Pelini never did worse than 9-4.

Draxal

Right, but after Nebraska did what they did in the 90's, isn't what they've been doing pretty disappointing to the fans? I mean, they considered it enough of a downturn that they fired Pelini. Pelini never did worse than 9-4.

Pelini has major warts.
1. Staff. (remember what his brother did to get fired at that Florida college).
2. His behavior on the sideline.

The fact that he didn't get a better job than headcoach at Youngstown State while never going worse than 9-4 is kinda weird.

If I keep my head down I might make shift supervisor by the end of the year. Feels good man.

Woof woof.

Pew pew.
Hey, no need to feel ashamed. It isn't a glamorous life but you help keep the world moving. Maybe you guys will get lucky and that minimum wage increase will come through.

Swoopes there it isn't. 59 total offensive yards in his last game vs. Arky and 4 ints the game before that vs. TCU. Yet he is still Texas' best option at QB. It's sad

He's not the best option though Heard is. The kid is just too young and Charlie doesn't trust him to have the offense down pat yet.

He'll be starting by week three. I hope.

Also, Texas' starting punter has never played in a football game in his life. I suppose playing against Notre Dame is a good time to play your first football game.

Thursday
South Carolina (-3.5) vs. UNC - COVER
TCU (-19.5) vs. Minnesota - NO COVER

Friday
Michigan State vs. Western Michigan MOV TIE BREAKER - MSU by 31

Saturday
New Mexico State vs. Florida (-36.5) - NO COVER
Louisville v. Auburn (-14.5) - NO COVER
BYU v. Nebraska (-9.5) - COVER
Texas v. Notre Dame (-11.5) - COVER
Wisconsin v. Alabama (-11.5) - COVER
Arkansas St. v. USC (-33.5) - NO COVER
Stanford (-12.5) v. Northwestern - COVER
Ohio State (-17.5) v. VA Tech - COVER

KingGondo

Banned
MY PICKS
Thursday
South Carolina (-3.5) vs. UNC COVER
TCU (-19.5) vs. Minnesota NO COVER
Friday
Michigan State vs. Western Michigan MOV TIE BREAKER - MSU BY 42
Saturday
New Mexico State vs. Florida (-36.5) NO COVER
Louisville v. Auburn (-14.5) NO COVER
BYU v. Nebraska (-9.5) COVER
Texas v. Notre Dame (-11.5) COVER
Wisconsin v. Alabama (-11.5) COVER
Arkansas St. v. USC (-33.5) COVER
Stanford (-12.5) v. Northwestern COVER
Ohio State (-17.5) v. VA Tech NO COVER

BONUS PICK
Oklahoma State vs. Central Michigan - OSU by 45

Draxal

Thursday

Friday
Michigan State vs. Western Michigan MOV TIE BREAKER - MSU by 31

Saturday
BYU v. Nebraska (-9.5) - COVER
Arkansas St. v. USC (-33.5) - NO COVER

This is such a weird post for me to comprehend.

andycapps

Pelini has major warts.
1. Staff. (remember what his brother did to get fired at that Florida college).
2. His behavior on the sideline.

The fact that he didn't get a better job than headcoach at Youngstown State while never going worse than 9-4 is kinda weird.

Well if his sideline behavior and rumored behavior with donors didn't do him in, it might have been that infamous rant of his after he got fired.

Ohio State fans consider the Cooper years a downturn. Sometimes fans aren't the best arbiters of the current strength of their own programs. (Not saying that Cooper shouldn't have gone, but Buckeye fans grossly exaggerate how dire those years supposedly were.)

Nebraska fans will BEG for the Pelini years if they end up going through what Michigan has gone through since the departure of Lloyd Carr.

Ohio State fans consider the Cooper years a downturn. Sometimes fans aren't the best arbiters of the current strength of their own programs. (Not saying that Cooper shouldn't have gone, but Buckeye fans grossly exaggerate how dire those years supposedly were.)

Nebraska fans will BEG for the Pelini years if they end up going through what Michigan has gone through since the departure of Lloyd Carr.

Now this is a true fact.

Starting Jake fucking Rudock at QB? Ugh.

I too find his lack of faith in USC disturbing.

Sark isn't calling plays anymore, so they have a new system. Maybe it ends up being better, but often times such changes aren't immediately dramatically successful.
Plus their top RB is gone and the WRs are young.

I'm still expecting USC to win but I expect by 21-28 points, not well over 30. Of course I'd love to be wrong.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I don't know much about UCLA.

User Actions
Follow

Daily Bruin Sports
‏@DBSports
BREAKING: UCLA defensive back Ishmael Adams arrested for robbery on campus, on $100k bail. More details to follow.

Is this something to bring up on PAAAWWWLLL?

Also, Lou Holtz' grandson is our starting holder according to the depth chart Monroeski posted. It would be hilarious if Dr. Lou wore burnt orange to the game

Thank god we don't have to listen to his spittle anymore. I'll miss the jokes, but him and Mark May needed to go away and never come back.

I'm hype for the season. Wolverines get Harbs and the Horns should be good if Swoop, you know, goes away.

(I'm a fan of the Wolverines since childhood and I bleed burnt orange since I went to UT so I root for both, tbh)

Draxal

Thank god we don't have to listen to his spittle anymore. I'll miss the jokes, but him and Mark May needed to go away and never come back.

I'm hype for the season. Wolverines get Harbs and the Horns should be good if Swoop, you know, goes away.

(I'm a fan of the Wolverines since childhood and I bleed burnt orange since I went to UT so I root for both, tbh)

and you also root for the bills ... that's a weird three teams.

Lonestar

Big hit for them. I'm sure Mora will bring him back ASAP though.

I'm no big city lawya, but that seems like a big bail number for a simple theft. Wonder what he did.

Ishmael Adams ‏@ishadams Aug 29 Los Angeles, CA
In times that you don't understand, just realize how blessed you are and remember what got you to this point. #inGodiTrust

Ishmael Adams ‏@ishadams Aug 25 Los Angeles, CA
I'm being attacked by satan, can you please pray for me? #Godbless

Clearly, Debil made him do it.

Thursday

Friday
Michigan State vs. Western Michigan MOV TIE BREAKER - MSU by 35

Saturday
BYU v. Nebraska (-9.5) - NO COVER
Texas v. Notre Dame (-11.5) - NO COVER
Arkansas St. v. USC (-33.5) - COVER

this feels weird

Thursday
TCU (-19.5) vs. Minnesota - COVER

Friday
Michigan State vs. Western Michigan MOV TIE BREAKER - Michigan State by 24 points

Saturday
Louisville v. Auburn (-14.5) - COVER

-Police arrested UCLA defensive end Ishmael Adams for allegedly robbing an Uber driver outside of UCPD headquarters. Daily Bruin (@dailybruin)-

Glad to see we didn't want Sark and USC to have all the bad headlines, so we sent our best kick returner to stir the pot.

Go Bruins. ;_;

Lonestar

Maybe he wasn't robbing the Uber driver, but instead making a political statement on the Uber vs Taxi problem.

@drewjay
BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall said he will not officially announce suspensions from Miami Beach Bowl brawl until after Nebraska game.

wait, wut.

Westonian

Pick 'ems

Thursday

Friday
Michigan State vs. Western Michigan MOV TIE BREAKER - Michigan State by 18 points

Saturday
New Mexico State vs. Florida (-36.5) - COVER
Wisconsin v. Alabama (-11.5) - NO COVER
Ohio State (-17.5) v. VA Tech - NO COVER

Holy crap, it's college football! The long dark season of emptiness is nigh over! I am doing nothing all weekend but watching mother effing college football.

Go BYU! (Another 8-5 season, because that schedule looks BRUTAL.)

Dsyndrome

I'd put money down on Texas to cover. That defense is legit and I don't buy into the ND offense.
Gotta be better than last year now that Golson's out for good. Glad I get to be at the game Saturday, gotta make sure I don't drink too much beforehand since it's a late game.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't know Herbstreit had an account here.
I can't give a reason why but I've been getting a bad feeling about TCU over the last few weeks. Feel like they're going to drop a game or two that they shouldn't and end up disappointing. Baylor has the individual star power all over the field, but I feel like they're going to be a bit more streaky and I think somebody is going to catch them on a downswing. For whatever reason I just don't feel particularly comfortable choosing either one of them.

With those two out of the picture I think OU is really the obvious choice but as I was looking for a 4th possible contender I honestly just thought that picking WVU would be fun. Do think they'll surprise a bit this year and I won't be surprised at all by a top 3 or 4 finish in the conference.

I can't give a reason why but I've been getting a bad feeling about TCU over the last few weeks. Feel like they're going to drop a game or two that they shouldn't and end up disappointing. Baylor has the individual star power all over the field, but I feel like they're going to be a bit more streaky and I think somebody is going to catch them on a downswing. For whatever reason I just don't feel particularly comfortable choosing either one of them.

With those two out of the picture I think OU is really the obvious choice but as I was looking for a 4th possible contender I honestly just thought that picking WVU would be fun. Do think they'll surprise a bit this year and I won't be surprised at all by a top 3 or 4 finish in the conference.

OU is starting Baker Mayfield.

They have no shot.

@drewjay
BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall said he will not officially announce suspensions from Miami Beach Bowl brawl until after Nebraska game.

Just get the suspensions out of the way early. No reason to kick the can until later, there's a reason why coaches just take the offseason suspensions on the chin early on in the season. You get some PT early on for the second string to help out with the inevitble injuries and stingers later on in the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom