• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2015 Week One Thread: One True Champion(TM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FyreWulff

Also was being a bit salty the other day, but I really hope people aren't taking Nebraska's opening game winning streak seriously.

1985 - Loss to @Florida State
1986 - Win over Florida State
1987 - Utah State
1988 - Texas A&M (in New Jersey)
1989 - Northern Illinois
1990 - Baylor
1991 - Utah State
1992 - Utah
1993 - North Texas
1994 - #24 West Virginia (in New Jersey)
1995 - @ Oklahoma State
1996 - Michigan State
1997 - Akron
1998 - Louisiana Tech (Solich Debut)
1999 - @ Iowa
2000 - San Jose State
2001 - TCU
2002 - Arizona State
2003 - #24 Oklahoma State
2004 - Western Illinois (Callahan Debut)
2005 - Maine
2006 - Lousiana Tech
2007 - Nevada
2008 - Western Michigan (Pelini Debut)
2009 - Florida Atlantic
2010 - Western Kentucky
2011 - Chattanooga
2012 - Southern Miss
2013 - Wyoming
2014 - Florida Atlantic
2015 - Loss to BYU

15 straight years of opening at home
11 years straight of scheduling paycheck teams

Not really a record that should have been a point of pride.

MrJames

Also was being a bit salty the other day, but I really hope people aren't taking Nebraska's opening game winning streak seriously.

1987 - Utah State
1989 - Northern Illinois
1990 - Baylor
1991 - Utah State
1992 - Utah
1993 - North Texas
1995 - @ Oklahoma State
1996 - Michigan State
1997 - Akron
1999 - @ Iowa
2000 - San Jose State
2001 - TCU
2002 - Arizona State
2005 - Maine
2006 - Lousiana Tech
2007 - Nevada
2009 - Florida Atlantic
2010 - Western Kentucky
2011 - Chattanooga
2012 - Southern Miss
2013 - Wyoming
2014 - Florida Atlantic
2015 - Loss to BYU

At least they played a few away games. Florida now holds the active record at 25. All at home against paycheck teams. Florida also now holds the longest winning streak over an opponent at 28 against Kentucky after Temple beat Penn State.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I guess the kit is trying to keep it simple, as it just says to pitch all the yeast at once and then let it sit at room temperature for a few weeks. We've got a good orchard near us, so I'll probably use their stuff so long as it's preservative free.

What makes good drinking juice is different than what makes the best cider, but I bet the orchard would have some good recommendations if they press the apples for you.

Marshall played great.

A little too close for comfort. But, you gotta win the games you are supposed to win, even if you only win by 10. If the Herd was going to convince me they could repeat as CUSA champs, they'd have to run the score up at home against a weaker OOC opponent, but it might be a down year based on what I saw today.

El_Chino

So as a whole, what Power 5 conference shined the most the first week? I would say SEC, I believe they only have one loss (what the hell Vandy?) Pac 12 and Big 10 were the two worst performers for sure

So as a whole, what Power 5 conference shined the most the first week? I would say SEC, I believe they only have one loss (what the hell Vandy?) Pac 12 and Big 10 were the two worst performers for sure

SEC was ahead of the game. I think the PAC-12 had some missteps this week and had the worst single-week showing. I wouldn't look too bad at the Oregon final score because that EWU team is no joke.

I still think in general the ACC is the P5 dumpster.

El_Chino

SEC was ahead of the game. I think the PAC-12 had some missteps this week and had the worst single-week showing. I wouldn't look too bad at the Oregon final score because that EWU team is no joke.

Really? The ACC still has FSU, Clemson and Louisville should bounce back.

Westonian

This weekend was really bitter sweet. Legendary ending to the Nebraska game only to find out Taysom Hill is most likely done for his career with a broken foot.

On the bright side we saw our freshman QB, who hadn't played in a game in four years (just got back from his Mormon mission to Chile the months ago) look incredibly poised in a huge game in front of nearly 90,000 people. And he killed it!

Our DBs look just as bad as they always have, and the loss of Taysom and Williams has cratered the running game, but we have three huge receivers and a real QB. This could be the start of something great at BYU.

Also, can't believe I'm tied for first in the pick 'em. Really starting to second guess my no cover pick for tOSU.

0 for 3 in P5 matchups this weekend, by my count, with a 4th game to go. To be fair, the ACC team was the underdog in all 3 games, so the outcomes were not unexpected, and a loss tomorrow night is also not unexpected.

This is where I go back to the last weekend of last season when the ACC went 4-0 against the SEC just to cheer my ACC-homer self up.

Thankfully, at least the ACC won all its games against lesser competition this weekend. That's not always a given.

Draxal

Really? The ACC still has FSU, Clemson and Louisville should bounce back.

Louisville being the third best team is a bad thing. Although, Chop Block U is probably the third best team right now.

And let's not talk about VPI and tOSU last year.

Welp, one more sleep till our game. Ill be traveling to blacksburg tomorrow, pretty pumped as Lane Stadium night game is on my college football bucket list. Likely wont get to participate during the game in this thread so ill get these out of the way now:

Urban2.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Welp, one more sleep till our game. Ill be traveling to blacksburg tomorrow, pretty pumped as Lane Stadium night game is on my college football bucket list. Likely wont get to participate during the game in this thread so ill get these out of the way now:
May you have a safe, but disappointing journey.

El_Chino

Urban2.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
Try not to get upset this time :p

Urban had a scary revenge face in the last interview I saw prior to the upcoming game. Don't think he forgot what happened Week 1 last year ;o

Draxal

So our student section chants Fuck Penn State now on third downs on d.

However, on TV it comes off as Block that Kick .... it's really confusing to hear that on third down.

MajorMane

1987 - Utah State
1989 - Northern Illinois
1990 - Baylor
1991 - Utah State
1992 - Utah
1993 - North Texas
1995 - @ Oklahoma State
1996 - Michigan State
1997 - Akron
1999 - @ Iowa
2000 - San Jose State
2001 - TCU
2002 - Arizona State
2005 - Maine
2006 - Lousiana Tech
2007 - Nevada
2009 - Florida Atlantic
2010 - Western Kentucky
2011 - Chattanooga
2012 - Southern Miss
2013 - Wyoming
2014 - Florida Atlantic
2015 - Loss to BYU

Yeah, it was always more of a weak record than anything. 351 sellout games in a row is a little better.

That was a hot, stressful, and long game to be at yesterday, but there were a lot of good things that happened at that game and a lot of things that can be improved on. If it had been a Bo Pelini-coached game, we would have never recovered from the halftime deficit. (Love ya, Bo, but when you lost it, the team lost it.) If Nebraska can improve so that all of our drives look like that opening drive on offense, we'll be in a good place.

And STERILISATION!!!

out of the teams that have played, what are peoples' top 5 teams?

I honestly just swap TCU and Alabama at 2 and 3. The other two teams seemed fine.

edit: I'm going to try to watch more Cornhusker games this year. Seeing a team not play hurry-up is refreshing and once the offensive line gels in mid season they have the backs to really move the ball and open it up for Armstrong who showed some flashes of brilliance.

Also I generally don't go out of my way to give props to Boise fans but this was fab:

0HHlnq6.jpg

One of these things is not like the other.

Silkworm

At least they played a few away games. Florida now holds the active record at 25. All at home against paycheck teams. Florida also now holds the longest winning streak over an opponent at 28 against Kentucky after Temple beat Penn State.

That Florida streak may be put to the test in 2017 when they play Michigan in Jerry Jones' playground to start the season. Not sure how good either team will be in two years but it should definitely be a tougher test than the Gators season opener next year in Gainesville against UMass Minutemen . ;-)

MaGlock

So I understand it was only Texas but what is college-gafs thoughts on the Irish? I liked what I saw but that's over the dead shell of Texas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom