• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2015 Week One Thread: One True Champion(TM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdyhybrid

War Tiggles.

Are there any interstate traditional rivalries of note?

A large chunk of CFB rivalries are interstate, usually because there's typically only "room" for one big-time program in a state. Giant states/recruiting hotbeds like Texas, Florida, and California are the exceptions.

You have Georgia-Florida, Ohio State-Michigan, USC-Notre Dame, Texas-Oklahoma, etc.

I don't think it will be a bloodbath based on the suspensions to the buckeyes and they will want to play two QBs, and one will not be as good as the other.

100 point blowout no.. Will they win comfortably.. Yes. Simply because the Hokies forget about this thing called offense that they haven't put together since Tyrod Taylor left.

I don't think it will be a bloodbath based on the suspensions to the buckeyes and they will want to play two QBs, and one will not be as good as the other.

I did just assume that South and North Carolina has a rivalry. Mainly because of the proximity and they have played each other regularly in the four years I have watched CFB.

Let me tell you about the Civil Conflict, it is quickly growing to being bigger than Ohio St/Michigan in terms of intensity and hatred

I did just assume that South and North Carolina has a rivalry. Mainly because of the proximity and they have played each other regularly in the four years I have watched CFB.

You're surely familiar with Michigan/Ohio State, Texas/Oklahoma, and the three way rivalry among Germany/Australia/Florida.

Ryuuroden

2-10-1

Nothing could be more dire.

And one of those 2 wins happened in the same year we lost to Michigan State (1998) which kicked us out of national championship contention for the 2nd straight year. (1997 was a Michigan loss as usual knocking us out)

Let me tell you about the Civil Conflict, it is quickly growing to being bigger than Ohio St/Michigan in terms of intensity and hatred

Yeah, I suppose the big rivalries are interstate ones which are also in the same conference.

I'm still learning the rivalries.

The big ones which are interstate and not in the same conference would be:

USC-Notre Dame
Florida-FSU???

I dunno.

Yeah, I suppose the big rivalries are interstate ones which are also in the same conference.

USC-Notre Dame
Florida-FSU???

I dunno.

USC and Notre Dame are more or less on opposite sides of the country. But they would be a big Out of Conference rivalry.

South Carolina/Clemson and Utah/BYU basically fill your requirements. Interstate rivalries are a lot more common in College Bball TBH

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!

USC-Notre Dame
Florida-FSU???

I dunno.
Wut?

Edit: I know you're an Aussie, but what do you think the "F" in FSU stands for?

cdyhybrid

USC-Notre Dame
Florida-FSU???

I dunno.

There aren't many left anymore, since a lot of them ended once one of the teams switched conferences. Oklahoma-Nebraska, Texas-aTm, etc.

Edit: Oh, different conference AND interstate. Yeah...uh, OU-Nebraska, USC-Notre Dame...

Florida.

haha. yeah I was just trying to think of any non-conference rivalries, then forgot they are both from florida.

What is bigger Florida v FSU or Florida v Miami or Miami v FSU?

haha

Miami/Florida isn't really a thing because they hardly ever play.

Miami has cost Florida State a couple of championships. "Wide right" is a phrase that will live in infamy. But Spurrier got that Florida program running white hot in the 90s and it has continued, and Florida has also cost Florida State championship opportunities. I'll have to defer to someone in state, but for me, it's FSU/Miami.

Miami has cost Florida State a couple of championships. "Wide right" is a phrase that will live in infamy. But Spurrier got that Florida program running white hot in the 90s and it has continued, and Florida has also cost Florida State championship opportunities. I'll have to defer to someone in state, but for me, it's FSU/Miami.

I would say outsider perspective is FSU/Miami, ill always remember all those wide right/left games

I would say outsider perspective is FSU/Miami, ill always remember all those wide right/left games

Yeah I have watched espn's 30 for 30 - "The U" so have seen those wide right games. Wasn't there a wide right in the last game between FSU/Miami last year maybe?

Michigan Notre Dame also have a pretty good rivalry from what I have seen.

Anyone against ND really...

Pac-12 is the worst for rivalries as far as I can tell.

What the hell was going on in that conference before Oregon and Stanford got good (which is only in the last decade from what I gather). Did anyone challenge USC?

Michigan Notre Dame also have a pretty good rivalry from what I have seen.

Anyone against ND really...

Pac-12 is the worst for rivalries as far as I can tell.

What the hell was going on in that conference before Oregon and Stanford got good (which is only in the last decade from what I gather). Did anyone challenge USC?

USC pretty much owned the 2000s in the pac, Washington, Washington st and ucla all had a couple good years in the 90s and early 2000s

just looking at the Washington wiki page:

Claimed national titles
2 (1960, 1991)

Unclaimed national titles
3 (1910, 1984, 1990)

Conference titles
15 (1916, 1919, 1925, 1936, 1959, 1960, 1963, 1977, 1980, 1981, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1995, 2000)

Early 90's mustve been good fun. What went wrong?

Whats the difference between claimed and unclaimed national titles?

What is bigger Florida v FSU or Florida v Miami or Miami v FSU?

Florida fans consider Georgia their bigger rival and Florida State fans despise Miami with a passion. There's no mercy for the latest crop of Miami Hurricanes teams when they play the Seminoles, the oldschool fans want nothing but FSU to beat them senseless on the field and see their program twitch like a fish out of water forever.

Florida State/Florida was always a slight bit more friendly even when the stakes were skyhigh back in the Spurrier years because everyone knew someone who went to the other school. It was intense but there was no burning hatred of a thousand suns involved like FSU-Miami.

Claimed national titles
2 (1960, 1991)

3 (1910, 1984, 1990)

Conference titles
15 (1916, 1919, 1925, 1936, 1959, 1960, 1963, 1977, 1980, 1981, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1995, 2000)

Because until the BCS, there wasn't even a national championship game. So, everyone relied on season ending polls to determine the national champion. The AP poll was generally seen as the most credible, but there were somewhere between 10 and 20 different polls, and so on most years there was not a consensus national champion. 5 polls may say one team is the national champion, but a few other polls may have a different team. If just one out of the 20 some odd polls said you were the national champion, then the school could claim it. However, most schools with integrity, don't try to claim championships that were obviously given to them by an outlier poll, but technically it is an unclaimed championship.

Lets look at 1973 for example:

The UPI, AP, FWAA, and NFF were the most credible polls at the time. Alabama had the UPI on their side, while Notre Dame had the AP, FWAA, and NFF on theirs. Both Alabama and Notre Dame claimed that national championship. Michigan, Ohio State, and Oklahoma had polls declaring them national champions, but they did not claim those titles because the polls weren't as credible or they conceded that another team was better that year.

Alabama 11–1 Bear Bryant B(QPRS), UPI
Michigan 10–0–1 Bo Schembechler NCF, PS
Notre Dame 11–0 Ara Parseghian AP, BR, FN, FWAA, HAF, NCF, NFF
Ohio State 10–0–1 Woody Hayes NCF, PS, R(FACT), SR
Oklahoma 10–0–1 Barry Switzer CFRA, DeS, DuS, SR

Have fun

Because until the BCS, there wasn't even a national championship game. So, everyone relied on season ending polls to determine the national champion. The AP poll was generally seen as the most credible, but there were somewhere between 10 and 20 different polls, and so on most years there was not a consensus national champion. 5 polls may say one team is the national champion, but a few other polls may have a different team. If just one out of the 20 some odd polls said you were the national champion, then the school could claim it. However, most schools with integrity, don't try to claim championships that were obviously given to them by an outlier poll, but technically it is an unclaimed championship.

The UPI, AP, FWAA, and NFF were the most credible polls at the time. Alabama had the UPI on their side, while Notre Dame had the AP, FWAA, and NFF on theirs. Both Alabama and Notre Dame claimed that national championship. Michigan, Ohio State, and Oklahoma had polls declaring them national champions, but they did not claim those titles because the polls weren't as credible or they conceded that another team was better that year.

Have fun

The funniest part about 1973 is that Alabama still claimed it after losing to Notre Dame head-to-head in the bowl game.

Have fun

Cheers for clearing that up.

So it is a bit oxymoronic/hypocritical for Washington to show how many unclaimed national titles that they have won on their wiki page then? haha

Because doing so, is sort of claiming it then.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Anyone who says they are a college football and say that Thursday's games are lame is not a college football fan.

WTF. Three quality games by my count!

Plus, IT'S COLLEGE FOOTBALL!!! Hell, I watched North Dakota St v Montana last week. I would watch MACball at this point, I am desperate for the sweet embrace that only College Football is legally allowed to give. :)

Re: Nebraska's potential for being in a slump, as per discussion a few days back:

It truly remains to be seen. We slumped the moment we ran Frank Solich out of town. Sure, he had his off-the-field issues, but those were the early 2000's. A coach at a perennial top 10 team could get away with murder during those days. We still beat good teams during those years and largely had solid records outside of a couple of anomalies. Then came the 4 years of darkness, followed by the Pelini years, which carried with them t-shirts that said, "I'm a Boliever" and so on. In the first couple of years, the ship looked righted. We had Suh, Lavonte David, Prince Amukamara, and so on. We won a couple of big games, but still couldn't escape our demons, namely winning the "big game."

2008, 0-4 against opponents who were ranked or ended ranked
2009 3-3 (including bowl victory over an overrated Arizona team)
2010 2-2 (Plus losses to a 5-7 Texas team and a 7-6 Washington team in the Holiday bowl)
2011 2-3 (each loss being a blowout, with an extra loss to a 6-7 Northwestern team on top...)
2012 1-2 (both blowout losses)
2013 1-2 (another blowout, other wasn't close either)
2014 0-3 (1 blowout, two close losses)

Those are not the records of a top-flight team. They are not the mark of a team that is improving, but instead treading water. No up or down but remaining in the same average state year in and year out. Couple that with more than our fair share of losing our heads in big games, and you have a team that was once the pinnacle of college football. We did things that no team has done since (3 championships in 4 years, 4-1 bowl record, with a 60-3 record from 1993-1997.

Now, I get worried about facing a Wisconsin team with Paul Effing Chryst at the helm. This is what the past 14 years have done to me. :(

I am hoping that Mike Riley comes in and coaches the team to have a chance in big games. I always felt like Bo was going to let us down, especially against the dreaded "mobile quarterback." I think Riley is a better coach capable of winning big, but has largely gone without the talent to do so. I will give him this season and the next two to really show what he can do. If he doesn't make serious headway, pay Scott Frost anything he asks and hope for the best.

cdyhybrid

Cheers for clearing that up.

So it is a bit oxymoronic/hypocritical for Washington to show how many unclaimed national titles that they have won on their wiki page then? haha

Because doing so, is sort of claiming it then.

Depends on your point of view, I guess. Don't think there's any harm in noting it as long as they declare the difference.

FyreWulff

I will never think of Mike Riley as anything other than a transition coach as the university waits for another head coach to become available.

As for Bo, I think he went to the small leagues to wait for stuff to blow over. Take the Solich route and go be an ex-Nebraska coach in a small town for a bit.

Thursday night college football is fine. Great even, with top billing on ESPN and everything. But it sucks that the NFL has started to make it a bit bigger, so it takes away some of the uniqueness there.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I will never think of Mike Riley as anything other than a transition coach as the university waits for another head coach to become available.

As for Bo, I think he went to the small leagues to wait for stuff to blow over. Take the Solich route and go be an ex-Nebraska coach in a small town for a bit.

Same. Unless he sneaks a B1G championship out of nowhere. Or at least puts us in contention for one each year. Then, he will be regarded as a hero who set us up for future success. Otherwise, he will be a sacrificial lamb until the next coach comes home.

cdyhybrid

Thursday night college football is fine. Great even, with top billing on ESPN and everything. But it sucks that the NFL has started to make it a bit bigger, so it takes away some of the uniqueness there.

Thursday night NFL matchups are usually pretty shitty, since TNF has last pick of the games IIRC.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Miami is Florida State's main rivals, with Florida being a close second, just like Georgia is Florida's main rival with FSU being a close second.

FSU fans are friends and family with Florida fans, and like to give each other shit.

FSU fans hate Miami fans because they suck.

Kinda nervous we gonna be without one of our star players. Caught alittle of the news and one of the Bruins players got busted.

E: Saw Lonestar's post.

Claimed national titles
2 (1960, 1991)

3 (1910, 1984, 1990)

Conference titles

USC finally fired Paul Hackett and got super lucky on the Pete Carroll hire. Then Phil Knight decided to buy the Oregon athletic department and UW had a series of disastrous hires including the Weasel.

Pfft. Where else can you see Andy Dalton give historically bad performances against the CLEVELAND BROWNS but Thursday Night Football?

andycapps

Auburn has started to confuse the local fast food chains:

rsqNmUL.jpg

Are you eagles or are you tigers? Make up your fucking minds.

They're the Wartiglesmen, get it right.

Miami is Florida State's main rivals, with Florida being a close second, just like Georgia is Florida's main rival with FSU being a close second.

FSU fans are friends and family with Florida fans, and like to give each other shit.

I'm still not sure who our #1 rival is. Probably Florida, though it's so close between them and Auburn that I can't pick which one I hate more.

Draxal

The only reason South and North carolina might have a rivalry is because SC got kicked out of the ACC.

Draxal

USC-Notre Dame
Florida-FSU???

I dunno.

Missing Army/Navy, the only game of the year that gets its own week.

The only reason South and North carolina might have a rivalry is because SC got kicked out of the ACC.

You have to get UNC fans caring about football before you can even have a football rivalry as well. Seriously, you'd think with three P5 teams in a forty mile radius you'd have more college football fans, but Duke fans still don't care about their program despite Cutcliffe's lazarus job there, UNC fans have been on the skids ever since Mack Brown left, and NC State fans care about their team for the UNC game and if FSU comes to down.

It's super sad. Fans in the area are lame when it comes to college football.

bachikarn

All the people I know would consider FSU to be our main rival. UGA definitely is for the older fans, but before the Muschamp era, we owned them so there wasn't much hate.

And personally for me, having more friends that are FSU fans makes the rivalry more intense because I can shit talk them, while the only UGA fans I can shit talk are on the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom