• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2015 Week One Thread: One True Champion(TM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

andycapps

All the people I know would consider FSU to be our main rival. UGA definitely is for the older fans, but before the Muschamp era, we owned them so there wasn't much hate.

And personally for me, having more friends that are FSU fans makes the rivalry more intense because I can shit talk them, while the only UGA fans I can shit talk are on the internet.

Right, for the only period of Florida football that exists: the 90's and on. I kid, I kid. I think it probably also depends on where you live. If you're a Florida fan right near the Georgia line, I'm going to guess that's a bigger rivalry for you. And same if you're a Georgia fan in South Georgia, Florida is probably the #1 rival. And West Georgia it would be Auburn.

UGA is finally building an indoor facility that will be started at the end of this season. Waiting until then because they'll be losing one of the 3 practice fields to put this one up, it'll connect directly to the existing athletics facility/weight rooms, etc. Cost will be 30.2 million with half coming from athletic reserve fund, and half coming from a donation campaign they're starting.

I love how in the second picture the architecture firm actually photoshopped Richt standing there watching the players. :jnc

3tLRZ8r.jpg

srQFLeS.jpg

ILCAJHC.jpg

Q0iirXP.jpg

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
All the people I know would consider FSU to be our main rival. UGA definitely is for the older fans, but before the Muschamp era, we owned them so there wasn't much hate.

And personally for me, having more friends that are FSU fans makes the rivalry more intense because I can shit talk them, while the only UGA fans I can shit talk are on the internet.

IFlorida has always been my favorite rivalry for the reasons you stated, but Miami is way more intense (at least was when I was in school, living in California now there is no real exposure to either rivalry except here). Miami games were downright unpleasant because of how worked up both sides would get.

Lunar15

What? Florida has always been FSU's main rival. They didn't used to chant "Fuck The Canes" during completely unrelated games back in the 70's. It was always "Fuck The Gators" at any chance they could.

Don't get me wrong: Miami/FSU rivaly is big, but it didn't get quite as big until Miami entered the ACC. Both UF and FSU hit their strides in the 90's and it was just a really, really bitter rivalry then. In the 2000's, when FSU wasn't quite as good and Florida was coming into its own, I'd say Georgia became a bigger rival for Florida, but for FSU, it was always Florida.

That said, FSU/Miami is certainly the messiest rivalry, but that's just anything involving UM if you ask me.

My favorite mini-rivalry was Tennesee during the Peyton years, just because we always beat them despite them being really good. Kept them from going to a National Championship, even.

andycapps

What? Florida has always been FSU's main rival. They didn't used to chant "Fuck The Canes" during completely unrelated games back in the 70's. It was always "Fuck The Gators" at any chance they could.

Don't get me wrong: Miami/FSU rivaly is big, but it didn't get quite as big until Miami entered the ACC. Both UF and FSU hit their strides in the 90's and it was just a really, really bitter rivalry then. In the 2000's, when FSU wasn't quite as good and Florida was coming into its own, I'd say Georgia became a bigger rival for Florida, but for FSU, it was always Florida.

That said, FSU/Miami is certainly the messiest rivalry, but that's just anything involving UM if you ask me.

My favorite mini-rivalry was Tennesee during the Peyton years, just because we always beat them despite them being really good. Kept them from going to a National Championship, even.

It also lead to one of the best Spurrier quotes of all time "You can't spell Citrus without U-T."

andycapps

LSU got this. Fournette gonna get dat Heisman too.

Fournette gets so much love despite not getting close to the numbers of Chubb or Elliott last year. He's a great back, but let's see how he does with a higher amount of carries and being the guy the defense focuses on like Chubb was last year.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

I can only speak from personal experience growing up in the 80s and 90s in Jacksonville and going to FSU in the early 00s.

Growing up, I was surrounded by Florida fans so that was the most obvious rivalry. But in school, Miami was the hardest to get tickets to, the most intense, and the most hated program we played. They kept beating us too. And their fans are the worst.

Going to a Miami game is like going to a Raiders game. It brings out the worst in everyone.

Spurrier leaving ruined the UF/FSU rivalry to a certain extent. Just look what he has done for the visibility of the Clemson/Cock rivalry. He is a treasure, the man you love to hate.

Tallahassee didn't ever put up signs over the entire city with the final score on them when we beat Florida in a game. Tallahassee did so when we beat Miami in '89 though.

Both rivalries were always real, but Miami is the school FSU fans and alumni would rather see hit with a meteor given the choice between the two. FSU fans also don't have too much of a problem seeing Florida recover from their recent unpleasantness, whereas FSU fans want Miami to wander in the proverbial desert forever.

I saw this for a CFA opening up in the Seattle area a couple of months ago. Free food for a year might be worth it.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

:/

Being that I don't like Chicken, CFA never ranked with me. Good milkshakes though, that lemonade one was great. But camping out for 52 free sandwiches (that you can only eat once a week) is fucked. They're either out of work, on vacation, or just skipping a workday, for maybe $200 worth of food.

Larry was right, we truly are the one true champions.

Fournette gets so much love despite not getting close to the numbers of Chubb or Elliott last year. He's a great back, but let's see how he does with a higher amount of carries and being the guy the defense focuses on like Chubb was last year.

LSU's RB by committee style really hurts him. I hope Miles actually allows him to be the work horse this season instead of spreading it around.

Don't get me wrong: Miami/FSU rivaly is big, but it didn't get quite as big until Miami entered the ACC.

Crazy talk.

Miami only joined the ACC about 10 or 11 years ago. Miami/FSU was blistering hot for nearly 20 years before that. If anything, it could only have cooled since Miami joined the ACC, since they have never once made it to the ACC CCG, and Florida State fell off for a few years at the end of Bowden's run.

Lunar15

As someone who has been to multiple Miami/FSU games, I can definitely attest that it's the rowdiest rivalry. But then again, so is UM/FIU, apparently. I think it's just UM fans, man.

But yeah, I grew up in the Spurrier/Bowden era, so that was just a cornerstone. My mom also went to UF in the 70's when FSU loathed UF, despite neither team being all that great. But I guess it's really the 80's when UM was stomping everyone that it got super hot.

I think what made the FSU/UF rivalry so ridiculous is that they always play at the end of the season. Playing each other in a National Championship will also do that.

But yeah, late 2000's was all about Georgia, but that's mainly my skewed perspective because my sister started going there then.

Also, I've noticed there's a ton of Gaffers from Florida, not just in this thread.

Nialrot

Central Florida coach George O’Leary, who was named the school’s interim athletics director in June, has expressed a strong desire to assume the position full time and step down as football coach at the end of this season, according to two people who have communicated directly with school officials about the situation.

This can't be a good idea...

UCF really needs to step up their game if they want an invite to the big boy table.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/aac/2015/09/01/george-oleary-permanent-athletic-director-central-florida-step-down-coach/71507104/

andycapps

LSU's RB by committee style really hurts him. I hope Miles actually allows him to be the work horse this season instead of spreading it around.

We do it by committee too, but there's one back who gets the majority of the carries. I'm assuming that back will be Fournette this year for LSU.

Nialrot

That's a shame. It'll be hard to find a similar efficient replacement.

The head coaching position I'm not too worried about since he's been grooming his heir apparent for the last 10+ years in Brent Key (recently promoted to OC).

Full-time as AD makes me a little nervous though.

This can't be a good idea...

UCF really needs to step up their game if they want an invite to the big boy table.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/aac/2015/09/01/george-oleary-permanent-athletic-director-central-florida-step-down-coach/71507104/

I was opposed to this at first. But I've warmed up to the idea. Staffers might not like it because he's going to demand accountability and results throughout the department. He's basically the architect of the program today and has had a lot of influence over the department over the years. Given some of the absolutely atrocious decisions made at the AD level recently like our abysmal apparel Nike contract and other issues, it's not like the previous administrations have truly gotten things done as well as they should have.

He also has a lot of connections throughout sports around the country and is generally respected - despite transgressions years and years ago.

For realignment, the AD generally has little influence anyway. Stuff like that is handled by consulting firms, media rights companies like ESPN, and university presidents.

Nialrot

I was opposed to this at first. But I've warmed up to the idea. Staffers might not like it because he's going to demand accountability and results throughout the department. He's basically the architect of the program today and has had a lot of influence over the department over the years. Given some of the absolutely atrocious decisions made at the AD level recently like our abysmal apparel Nike contract and other issues, it's not like the previous administrations have truly gotten things done as well as they should have.

He also has a lot of connections throughout sports around the country and is generally respected - despite transgressions years and years ago.

For realignment, the AD generally has little influence anyway. Stuff like that is handled by consulting firms, media rights companies like ESPN, and university presidents.

Temples new $30 million deal with Under Armour is just salt in the wounds of Todd Stansburys tenure at UCF.

Will be a interesting year on and off the field.

Jhriad

Yeah, I suppose the big rivalries are interstate ones which are also in the same conference.

I'm still learning the rivalries.

The big ones which are interstate and not in the same conference would be:

USC-Notre Dame
Florida-FSU???

I dunno.

A few that I didn't see mentioned much:

Nebraska - Oklahoma (Or Nebraska and anyone from the old Big 12 practically since all those teams consider Nebraska to be a rival.)
Army - Navy
Michigan - Notre Dame
Michigan State - Notre Dame
Pitt - West Virginia
Texas - Texas A&M

The funniest part about 1973 is that Alabama still claimed it after losing to Notre Dame head-to-head in the bowl game.

The SEC is rife with teams claiming shit they don't have any real right to claim. Texas A&M joined that stupid party when they joined the conference. Every time I went by the stadium and saw that '97 Conference Championship up there made me fume. A&M loses by almost 40 points but hey, we'll claim it anyway. Those two extra national titles are pretty asinine as well considering the whole 'Aggies never lie, cheat, or steal.' tagline. I guess they're not lies, they're just creative ways of looking at the truth.

I will never think of Mike Riley as anything other than a transition coach as the university waits for another head coach to become available.

Well, given his age I don't think he was ever really going to be a long term HC. So long as he does okay and stays in good health he'll probably be around for something like 5-7 years. It'll be an interesting period for us regardless.

Temples new $30 million deal with Under Armour is just salt in the wounds of Todd Stansburys tenure at UCF.

Will be a interesting year on and off the field.

Yup. Absolutely disgusting. Cincy, USF, WKU, and tons others. And of course we're stuck with it for another 5 years or so. If the 9.95 sites are to be believed, there are some pretty strong indications he fought not to rock the boat with Nike at UCF to increase his chances of landing the Oregon St AD job.

The fanbase fought so hard to dump Adidas for Nike thinking we'd have a better situation. Now we can only hope Adidas or Under Armour (as long as they don't destroy our uniforms that much) will still be willing to step up in a few years and give us a deal at least on par with Western Kentucky or something....

KingGondo

Banned
A few that I didn't see mentioned much:

Nebraska - Oklahoma (Or Nebraska and anyone from the old Big 12 practically since all those teams consider Nebraska to be a rival.)
Army - Navy
Michigan - Notre Dame
Michigan State - Notre Dame
Pitt - West Virginia
Texas - Texas A&M
It's too bad the only ones that play anymore are Army and Navy.

Draxal

It's too bad the only ones that play anymore are Army and Navy.

I didn't include most of them since a good amount of them were conference games (nebraska/oklahoma, wvu/pitt, and well texas and A&M is in intrastate, and didn't want to list all of ND's rival as Navy is probably the second biggest one for them after USC).

Coastal Carolina is moving to the FBS and joining the Sun Belt Conference, so now we are up to three G5 schools with better fans in the state than the ACC teams.

They started selling CFA inside the GT stadium now. It's not a full menu, but hey it's still legit.

You just need spicy chicken and you are good to go.

Thursday
South Carolina (-3.5) vs. UNC - COVER
TCU (-19.5) vs. Minnesota - COVER

Friday
Michigan State vs. Western Michigan MOV TIE BREAKER - MSU by 15

Saturday
New Mexico State vs. Florida (-36.5) - NO COVER
Louisville v. Auburn (-14.5) - NO COVER
BYU v. Nebraska (-9.5) - COVER
Texas v. Notre Dame (-11.5) - NO COVER
Wisconsin v. Alabama (-11.5) - NO COVER
Arkansas St. v. USC (-33.5) - NO COVER
Stanford (-12.5) v. Northwestern - COVER
Ohio State (-17.5) v. VA Tech - NO COVER

i dont know what im doing

Lonestar

and I've already forgotten the email I just created to log into that blasted thing.

Speaking of North Carolina schools, I was trying to put together the details of ECU fans tearing down the goal posts at NC State's stadium after beating Miami, of all teams, after a hurricane forced the game to be relocated.

I found not only that I did not misremember those events -- ECU did tear down NC State's goal posts following that game -- but it actually happened at least 4 times , including once in 1987 that prompted NC State to cancel having ECU as an opponent.

Sorry about those goal posts
The perception by N.C. State folks that ECU fans are a bit on the rowdy side apparently is rooted in goal posts, specifically the four times that they came crashing down at Carter-Finley Stadium after thrilling ECU victories, including this scene from the 1984 game in Raleigh. The assaults on State’s goal posts even happened once when State wasn’t theopponent. ECU’s stadium was damaged during Hurricane Floyd in 1991(*), and State generously loaned its stadium to the Pirates to host Miami. After the emotional victory over the Hurricanes, ECU fans did what they would have done if actually playing at home.
---------------------------------------------------------------
(*) This date is wrong. It was 1999, not 91.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, that's how you do it, kids. You want to storm the field (or the basketball court) and cause some mayhem? OK, go right ahead. Just have the guts to do it on the road.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I guess I need to make an account for this Yahoo stuff. I used Google sign in before and they seem to have removed that option.

Lonestar

I guess I need to make an account for this Yahoo stuff. I used Google sign in before and they seem to have removed that option.

That was how I did it as well.

Got it to text me the id, and of course, it also sent me my old ID as well.

Reading about how Kyle Flood wants to split QB reps when we have a 1st time QB as a starter in the opening game against a patsy once again reminds me how much of a shitty head coach Kyle Flood is.

Speaking of North Carolina schools, I was trying to put together the details of ECU fans tearing down the goal posts at NC State's stadium after beating Miami, of all teams, after a hurricane forced the game to be relocated.

NC State fans are still SUPER salty about ECU fans doing that, despite it being one of the most emotional games I've ever seen played. It's crazy, they always bring it up when I ask why NC State fans can't be the kind of foam-at-the-mouth type of fans that ECU alumni are since that's the kind of fanaticism I am used to having grown up in the deep south.

"Florida focused on stretching field vertically."

Heard this shit so many years now I just have to laugh. But, we might finally have a true, pro-style QB and there are a few guys to throw to, so, perhaps it'll work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom