• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2015 Week One Thread: One True Champion(TM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

andycapps

Ha wow, UGA will be starting former UVA QB Graysom Lambert at QB on Saturday. Sounds like both he and Ramsey will play though. He started out summer practices horribly and gradually worked his way up to being in the top 2. Longer the competition went with Ramsey not being named the starter the more I thought it would be Lambert.

Jhriad

Is it too soon to say Nebraska is in a state of downturn?

We already went through the downturn. It was 2002-2007. We're currently in more of a holding pattern than a downturn. Everyone has a perception that the program is in the shitter because of how ugly the nationally televised games have been over the past few years but it's not. For all his flaws as a HC, Pelini did stabilize the program as his ceiling and floor were fairly close to one another. As much crap as I give the guy, I still think he's talented coordinator and coach. A number of his character traits just weren't well suited to being a Head Coach. Perhaps with time and a bit of seasoning those will smooth out some and he could do really well.

Personally, I'd hold off using that term until they've had a sub-.500 season.

Um...

The Callahan Era was the downturn for Nebraska football. Pelini was able to stabilize the program off of Callahan's recruits but he wasn't able to adjust when necessary, recruited poorly, and was too loyal to a few assistants that needed to be let go. Despite the veracity of my statements in the previous thread I appreciate what Pelini did for the program but it was time to move on.

@drewjay
BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall said he will not officially announce suspensions from Miami Beach Bowl brawl until after Nebraska game.

wait, wut.

"We hold our student-athletes to a high standard. Well... unless we need them to win."

-Bronco Mendenhall

Jhriad

Thought this joke tweet was pretty funny:

#BREAKING: #BYU Coach Bronco Mendenhall now says he will announce the player suspension, but only after the players involved have graduated.

ag-my001

I was wondering why there hadn't been any posts in the other thread today. Last checked last night, completely missed the new thread.

Is it possible to vote "push" for a bonus point?
Obviously not this week, but assuming a while number MOV.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Ohio State fans consider the Cooper years a downturn. Sometimes fans aren't the best arbiters of the current strength of their own programs. (Not saying that Cooper shouldn't have gone, but Buckeye fans grossly exaggerate how dire those years supposedly were.)

Nebraska fans will BEG for the Pelini years if they end up going through what Michigan has gone through since the departure of Lloyd Carr.

2-10-1

Nothing could be more dire.

Starting Jake fucking Rudock at QB? Ugh.

For as "good" as Denard was, he was a fucking running back playing QB, and Devin was fucking a WR playing QB. We haven't seen truly competent QB play (except maybe in flashes) since Chad Henne and Ryan Mallett were here. I think Rudock is going to be refreshing as shit, even if "competent" is all he is.

For as "good" as Denard was, he was a fucking running back playing QB, and Devin was fucking a WR playing QB. We haven't seen truly competent QB play (except maybe in flashes) since Chad Henne and Ryan Mallett were here. I think Rudock is going to be refreshing as shit, even if "competent" is all he is.

But that's just it he's not competent he sucks. He was awful at Iowa. Yeah he got a bum rap and was in a bad situation but he's not a good QB. I'd have rather just rolled with Morris and let him take his lumps.

Hopefully Harbs gets his QB's in soon.

Woooooooooow what the fuck I just heard why the FIBS fired Beckham.

That's fucked up to do to a bunch of kids.

Chris R

Is it Thursday yet?

Thursday
South Carolina (-3.5) vs. UNC - COVER
TCU (-19.5) vs. Minnesota - COVER
Friday
Michigan State vs. Western Michigan MOV TIE BREAKER - MSU by 21
Saturday
New Mexico State vs. Florida (-36.5) - NO COVER
Louisville v. Auburn (-14.5) - COVER
BYU v. Nebraska (-9.5) - NO COVER
Texas v. Notre Dame (-11.5) - NO COVER
Wisconsin v. Alabama (-11.5) - COVER
Arkansas St. v. USC (-33.5) - NO COVER
Stanford (-12.5) v. Northwestern - COVER
Ohio State (-17.5) v. VA Tech - COVER

GARNET & GOLSON will become a thing.

Digging this. It certainly felt like Jimbo was pretty fair to both SMAG and Golson and they had a good competition all camp. If Golson has a good year I imagine he will not be the last QB to come to FSU as a free agent, err. "graduate transfer" while Jimbo's coaching there.

Yes, his record against Michigan was absolutely miserable.

But OSU fans need some perspective on the Cooper era. What we consider a downturn, most programs would consider a fucking Golden Age.

at the same time, I wont apologize for being a fan and having standards I expect this team to perform at

wow, so many people expecting Sth Carolina to cover against Nth Carolina.

This is going to be a close game. The line has even come down to 2pts so most gamblers think so too.

ag-my001

Thursday
TCU (-19.5) vs. Minnesota - COVER

Friday
Michigan State vs. Western Michigan MOV TIE BREAKER - MSU by 28

Saturday
Louisville v. Auburn (-14.5) - NO COVER
Texas v. Notre Dame (-11.5) - NO COVER
Wisconsin v. Alabama (-11.5) - COVER
Stanford (-12.5) v. Northwestern - NO COVER

Nah, just sounds like lots of people betting on USC brought the line down

yeah, thats what I mean. When gamblers see UNC at +3.5pts, they put money on it because they think that they will be within 3pts of SthCar. The line then gets shortened because the bookies want approximately an even amount of money put on SthCar as UNC to maximise their profits.

I think people have forgotten how woeful SthCar really were last year. I lost a bit of money early on, on them.

This year their defence will be better, which was their major problem last year, but their offence looks pretty bad.

Also, its a rivalry game and at UNC.

If ever was a time UNC get a cheap one over Spurrier, this week will be it.

Here we fucking go! I'm an Arizona State Sun Devils (Fuck The Wildcats) and a Georgia Bulldogs fan (Fuck the Gators). Both teams have great chances to go big this season. I'm hoping that Bulldogs may make a run for the title and the Sun Devils will at least go to the Rose Bowl. Got my stuff ready.

Enron

Banned
Ha wow, UGA will be starting former UVA QB Graysom Lambert at QB on Saturday. Sounds like both he and Ramsey will play though. He started out summer practices horribly and gradually worked his way up to being in the top 2. Longer the competition went with Ramsey not being named the starter the more I thought it would be Lambert.

barfffff.

#hand2chubb
#neverpass

diehard

Fleer
Just get the suspensions out of the way early. No reason to kick the can until later, there's a reason why coaches just take the offseason suspensions on the chin early on in the season. You get some PT early on for the second string to help out with the inevitble injuries and stingers later on in the season.

The suspensions will be given out for the first game , Bronco just won't say who it is until after the game (they will miss said game) Its kinda dumb but making it out like its a big deal is stupid too.

Current lines FYI, with how they are trending. Where I have said (-2, down 1.5) I meant he line has got closer by 1.5pts.

Interesting, all the lines I could find have got shorter i.e. there was good value in getting on all the underdogs when mre listed the lines.

Thursday
South Carolina (-2, down 1.5) vs. UNC
TCU (-14, down 5.5) vs. Minnesota

Friday
Michigan State (-17.5) vs. Western Michigan

Saturday
New Mexico State vs. Florida (don't have)
Louisville v. Auburn (-10.5, down 4)
BYU v. Nebraska (-7, down 2)
Texas v. Notre Dame (-9.5, down 2)
Wisconsin v. Alabama (-10.5, down 1)
Arkansas St. v. USC (-27.5, down 6)
Stanford (-12, down 0.5) v. Northwestern
Ohio State (-11, down 6) v. VA Tech

The suspensions will be given out for the first game , Bronco just won't say who it is until after the game (they will miss said game) Its kinda dumb but making it out like its a big deal is stupid too.

Ah OK. Good deal then. He's probably just doing it to keep the players and coaches from having to deal with the suspension talk before the game.

ag-my001

Current lines FYI, with how they are trending. Where I have said (-2, down 1.5) I meant he line has got closer by 1.5pts.

Interesting, all the lines I could find have got shorter i.e. there was good value in getting on all the underdogs when mre listed the lines.
That usually happens. People jump on large spreads that seem too high. When they shrink, fans of the favorite join in on what they see as more favorable lines.

Though there are always odd things that can happen with large schools with big fan bases. Usually they get a few extra points towards being favored, as many fans want to bet for them, never against.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Glad we still have Scott punting. Because we clearly don't have a QB. Sad to have all that talent at WR and no one to throw them the ball.

Hopefully the defense is better this year.
Can't you read? We have 3 QBs on 1st string alone!

jjasper

Slow day at work and I read season previews all afternoon. I think I am excited for the first time in like 10 years.

We are totally gonna go 7-5 and I am going to be totally cool with it.

That usually happens. People jump on large spreads that seem too high. When they shrink, fans of the favorite join in on what they see as more favorable lines.

Though there are always odd things that can happen with large schools with big fan bases. Usually they get a few extra points towards being favored, as many fans want to bet for them, never against.

Yeah, I understand that. I have been gambling on CFB for a couple years now. The early lines are where the money is at.

However, I guess what I am getting at is that the way mre should not be giving the lines until later in the week, when they are more reflective of a larger pool of money on the game, therefore harder to pick.

I guess, that we will see what happens with the results this week, but picking the actual margin like previous years is harder and more skilful IMO.

mre

Thursday
South Carolina (-2, down 1.5) vs. UNC
TCU (-14, down 5.5) vs. Minnesota

Friday
Michigan State (-17.5) vs. Western Michigan

Saturday
New Mexico State vs. Florida (don't have)
Louisville v. Auburn (-10.5, down 4)
BYU v. Nebraska (-7, down 2)
Texas v. Notre Dame (-9.5, down 2)
Wisconsin v. Alabama (-10.5, down 1)
Arkansas St. v. USC (-27.5, down 6)
Stanford (-12, down 0.5) v. Northwestern
Ohio State (-11, down 6) v. VA Tech
Please note that while I used the lines to develop mine, I did tweak them. Hence why I stated they weren't "Vegas approved." Sorry, I should have made that clearer.

If your name is here, I have your pick 'em:
cdyhybrid
chaosblade
chicko1983
lonestar
perfectchaos007
StrikerObi
AlteredBeast
Dsyndrome
Randolph Freelander
andycapps
Ganhyun
Frustrated_Grunt
zyxwvu4321
Battlezone
xeris
Fragamemnon
bucknuticus
Kacar
timetokill
KingGondo
theprodigy
Mac the Knife
Westonian
Chris R
ag-my001

jjasper

I assume we are using yahoo for the pick ems this year.

Pick 'ems

Thursday
TCU (-19.5) vs. Minnesota - NO COVER

Friday
Michigan State vs. Western Michigan MOV TIE BREAKER - Michigan State by 20 points

Saturday
Louisville v. Auburn (-14.5) - COVER
Texas v. Notre Dame (-11.5) - COVER
Wisconsin v. Alabama (-11.5) - NO COVER
Stanford (-12.5) v. Northwestern - NO COVER

looks like we got the ESPN song we'll hear ad-nauseam: lauren alaina's "history"

Had to look her up. apparently she was an American Idol runner up one year.
ESPN says the song will be heard during ESPN's College Game day broadcast throughout the season.

"History" will be a central part of the spots building towards the College Football Playoff semifinals on New Year's Eve and National Championship on January 11, 2016.

Alaina could not contain her excitement about the song, “For a southern girl, college football is everything. I am so pumped to have my song used for ESPN’s college football coverage. Thank you ESPN for giving me something to make my boyfriend, dad, and brother think I’m that much cooler.”

really girl? At least pretend that you like sports

yeah, thats what I mean. When gamblers see UNC at +3.5pts, they put money on it because they think that they will be within 3pts of SthCar. The line then gets shortened because the bookies want approximately an even amount of money put on SthCar as UNC to maximise their profits.

I think people have forgotten how woeful SthCar really were last year. I lost a bit of money early on, on them.

This year their defence will be better, which was their major problem last year, but their offence looks pretty bad.

Also, its a rivalry game and at UNC.

If ever was a time UNC get a cheap one over Spurrier, this week will be it.

There is no rivalry between South Carolina and North Carolina.

And the game is in Charlotte, a neutral site with the stadium literally 10 miles from the state line, and closer to Columbia (USC) than Chapel Hill (UNC). Given that South Carolina is a more football-hungry state than North Carolina, I'd be shocked if the crowd wasn't a SC lean.

Edit: I see Fragglerock has you covered on location.

andycapps

barfffff.

#hand2chubb
#neverpass
That's basically all we'll do this year other than some play action pass. Whoever the QB was this year was only an one and done since Eason comes in next year anyway. Honestly, I'm more worried about our receiver depth than whoever lines up under center. Behind Mitchell we're young. Talented but young.

Excited to watch Terry Godwin this year. And hopefully some two tight end sets.

mre

Auburn has started to confuse the local fast food chains:

rsqNmUL.jpg

Are you eagles or are you tigers? Make up your fucking minds.

So will Ohio St score 100 against VaTech? That game is going to be a bloodbath. And I can't wait.

I don't think it will be a bloodbath based on the suspensions to the buckeyes and they will want to play two QBs, and one will not be as good as the other.

There is no rivalry between South Carolina and North Carolina.

And the game is in Charlotte, a neutral site with the stadium literally 10 miles from the state line, and closer to Columbia (USC) than Chapel Hill (UNC). Given that South Carolina is a more football-hungry state than North Carolina, I'd be shocked if the crowd wasn't a SC lean.

Edit: I see Fragglerock has you covered on location.

I did just assume that South and North Carolina has a rivalry. Mainly because of the proximity and they have played each other regularly in the four years I have watched CFB.

Are there any interstate traditional rivalries of note?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom