• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2015 Week Seven: Meet Texas, your 2015 National Champions

Speaking of food...

Guys, I don't know if I can participate here anymore. I might be unqualified since I... this is hard to say.... I'm sick of Chick Fil-A.

Maybe an ice cold Dr. Pepper would cheer me up.

Speaking of food...

Guys, I don't know if I can participate here anymore. I might be unqualified since I... this is hard to say.... I'm sick of Chick Fil-A.

Maybe an ice cold Dr. Pepper would cheer me up.

Sounds like you need to make a visit to the nearest N-N-N...

36R7dSn.gif

Pronto.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Steve Patterson would have put on a UT Athletic Fundraiser with Bevo Brisket, you know, since they're always hurting for money over there at Texas.

Lonestar

No they're not gonna eat the fucking mascot

Vegan-ism has reached the topic, ya'll. Abandon ye ship and depart.

PS: Maybe I don't go to the super pricey steakhouses, but man, Vince Young's Steakhouse has some high ass priced shiiiiiit. 8 oz filet for $38 :(

KodaRuss

RIP Bevo, too bad he missed the OU game.

I was a sophomore when he became Bevo. Original name was Sunrise Studly.

Got to take a couple pictures of him up close a few times, pretty incredible animal.

ag-my001

No they're not gonna eat the fucking mascot

They used to. First Bevo was BBQ'd, with the meat (and hide) shared with A&M students.

"Only a week later, amid rumors that the Aggies planned to kidnap the animal outright, the longhorn was removed to a ranch sixty miles west of Austin. Within two months, the United States entered World War I, and the University community turned its attention to the conflict in Europe. Out of sight and away from Austin, the branded steer was all but forgotten until the end of the war in November 1919. Since food and care for the animal was costing the University fifty cents a day, and because the steer wasn't believed to be tame enough to roam the campus or remain in the football stadium, it was fattened up and became the barbecued main course for the January 1920 football banquet. The Aggies were invited to attend, served the side they had branded, and were presented with the hide, which still read "13 - 0."

https://www.texasexes.org/about-texas-exes/history-and-traditions/ut-history/truth-about-bevo

KodaRuss

They used to. First Bevo was BBQ'd, with the meat (and hide) shared with A&M students.

"Only a week later, amid rumors that the Aggies planned to kidnap the animal outright, the longhorn was removed to a ranch sixty miles west of Austin. Within two months, the United States entered World War I, and the University community turned its attention to the conflict in Europe. Out of sight and away from Austin, the branded steer was all but forgotten until the end of the war in November 1919. Since food and care for the animal was costing the University fifty cents a day, and because the steer wasn't believed to be tame enough to roam the campus or remain in the football stadium, it was fattened up and became the barbecued main course for the January 1920 football banquet. The Aggies were invited to attend, served the side they had branded, and were presented with the hide, which still read "13 - 0."

https://www.texasexes.org/about-texas-exes/history-and-traditions/ut-history/truth-about-bevo

Yes they did and I am pretty sure they still ate him/sold his meat as a fundraiser in the past. I could be pulling this out of my ass but I remember hearing Bevo XIII (XIV just passed away) was the first to not be eaten/sold. It was ruled that he is a pet and it was not allowed to be eaten/sold.

Lunar15

I miss the days when we had a live gator.

I was not alive for the days when we had a live gator.

EDIT: I was looking for a picture of our live gator mascot when I stumbled upon proto-albert. Dear god.

Draxal

I miss the days when we had a live gator.

I was not alive for the days when we had a live gator.

EDIT: I was looking for a picture of our live gator mascot when I stumbled upon proto-albert. Dear god.

That's 8ball tier terrifying.

Meier

The Yahoo pickem is getting pretty intense. 23 picks takes a lot of effort!

My wife took a pic of Bevo before the start of the season. Walked by a few hours later and they didn't do much cleaning up of all that shit after he left, lol.

Ganhyun

questioning why mods close one thread, but let another stay open when the thread closed (church group beats one boy to death and leave his brother is serious condition trying to get them to confess their sins) really should be discussed if a thread about Ann Coulter owning Raven Simone is perfectly fine to be open.

You guys seriously have one of the worst mascots ever. I mean a buckeye is a fucking shrub and your mascot is a nut from the shrub. lol

I think Syracuse Orange might be the absolute worst though.

a "buckeye" is not a shrub. A Buckeye is a nut from Buckeye tree.

thank you very much

Also one of the few unique mascots in sports. We can only have so many animals.

a "buckeye" is not a shrub. A Buckeye is a nut from Buckeye tree.

thank you very much

Also one of the few unique mascots in sports. We can only have so many animals.

A buckeye is both a tree/shrub and the nut, right? See? Your mascot is confusing too!

You are right it's unique. I'd rather be that than another fucking Tigers team.

Lonestar

questioning why mods close one thread, but let another stay open when the thread closed (church group beats one boy to death and leave his brother is serious condition trying to get them to confess their sins) really should be discussed if a thread about Ann Coulter owning Raven Simone is perfectly fine to be open.

I'm assuming they closed it because they've had precedent in closing topics about miserable events that discuss nothing beyond how miserable the event was.

Ganhyun

You could always PM a mod to ask? Seriously, we say this a lot but people always want to run into a thread with guns blazing to yell about mods not doing their job right.

Anyway, the explanation is right in the locked thread. We specifically make an effort to lock threads about "Gaborn News"-style stories. If it's about something gross or depressing ("mother decapitates baby!") and is minor or local news story, we lock it. There's some gray area in what qualifies as a major story and what doesn't, and sometimes we're going to err there. I don't think we did here, though maybe the story is more important than it sounds on first description.

I don't particularly care about Ann Coulter owning Raven Simone, but it's also not something I'd go out of my way to lock. *shrug* Don't see how it's at all relevant to the other thread.

I'd agree if it were a 'local' story except its on CNN and ABC?

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/16/us/new-york-church-assault-case/

A buckeye is both a tree/shrub and the nut, right? See? Your mascot is confusing too!

You are right it's unique. I'd rather be that than another fucking Tigers team.

Shrub=tree, also the tree gets its name from the nut. Seems pretty easy to me...

You dont just call the thing an apple come from also an apple.

Also ties back to Ohio being the Buckeye state and residents referred to as buckeyes due to the amount of Buckeye Trees that are all over the state.

also delicious candy so take that!

Shrub=tree.

Well yeah I know they're not the same, I was just going by what Google spat out to me when I typed buckeye

buck·eye
ˈbəkˌī/Submit
noun
a North American tree or shrub

But then I searched for "buckeye shrub" and the closest thing is the bottlebrush buckeye.

Random question: Do you think the SEC collectively has the worst set of quarterbacks of any Power 5 conference?

If not, which conference has a worse set of QBs?

Meier

are there any "sure thing" QB's this year, in all of CFB?

Last weekend, ESPN did this huge special on Goff. Spent like 10-15 minutes on him. It was a nice piece about how he'd grew up a diehard Cal fan and how cool it was for him to be starring for them and whatnot. Seemed like a real grounded kid. We all know how the game later that night went.

Top Bottom