• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2015 Week Seven: Meet Texas, your 2015 National Champions

FyreWulff

it sucks he retired mid season, but i guess he knows in this day and age you can't wait until after all the bowls for your school to have the best options for a new hire

pxleyes

Banned
This is sad but it was pretty clear it was coming. His run at USC was over anyone could see it. Just sucks his last game has come and gone with no celebration just a beat down in a weird situation
The man deserves better. Curious to see what USC and Florida do to honor him in the coming weeks.

The new hires! None of these coaching positions will be filled until after the season is over (and maybe the NFL season as well).

You're basically kicking off a six or seven week job search if they quit now though. You bring in the coach before their previous' teams CCG and/or bowl game. It's still not a lot of time given how damaging a bad hire can be.

cdyhybrid

You're basically kicking off a six or seven week job search if they quit now though. You bring in the coach before their previous' teams CCG and/or bowl game. It's still not a lot of time given how damaging a bad hire can be.

For sure, but we won't hear much about the actual search, assuming there aren't a bunch of leaks.

For sure, but we won't hear much about the actual search, assuming there aren't a bunch of leaks.

I dunno. I remember plenty of tracked planes in late November/early December last year. Fans get super bored when it's not Saturday.

Some people mentioned Kyle Whittingham for USC-that's totally not happening.

andycapps

South Carolina is almost certainly doomed to a bad hire. The OBC was by far the best coach they've ever had, and it's going to be unlikely that they'll get someone in there able to replicate that level of success.

Not meaning to be a bad news bear, just giving my take on where I think Sakerlina will go from here.

Lunar15

Ah man, don't like to see Spurrier retire like this. I mean, I think he's doing the school a bit of a favor, his heart really wasn't in it the past few months.

Ah well, here's to all the visor throws!

South Carolina is almost certainly doomed to a bad hire. The OBC was by far the best coach they've ever had, and it's going to be unlikely that they'll get someone in there able to replicate that level of success.

Not meaning to be a bad news bear, just giving my take on where I think Sakerlina will go from here.

Surely there will be a good assistant coach who wants to head coach in the SEC who will put their hand up?

South Carolina should get their share of talent and their spend on football is good.

It would be a pretty appealing position I would think.

MrJames

https://t.co/ZCNG3oITPc

Wetzel's list of top Spurrier zingers

A few more...

Near the end of Steve Spurrier's tenure as Florida's coach, after the Gators lost to rival Florida State three straight times from 1998 to 2000, a frustrated fan called the coach's radio show.
"Coach, I live in Tallahassee and work with a bunch of FSU fans," the caller said. "I can't stand it anymore."
"Well, I'd suggest you move to Georgia then," Spurrier quipped.

After the Gators clinched their first SEC championship with a 45-13 win over Georgia in 1991, Spurrier told reporters, "How is it when [Georgia] signs people, they get the 'best,' but when we play, we've got the best players? Georgia has signed a lot of good players. Something just happens to them at Georgia, I guess."
When the Georgia-Florida game moved to the schools' campuses for two years during the mid-1990s because of construction at Jacksonville's stadium, which has traditionally hosted the annual border war, the Gators beat the Bulldogs 52-17 in Athens, Ga. Florida became the first opponent to score more than 50 points in Sanford Stadium. Florida backup quarterback Eric Kresser threw a touchdown pass with about one minute to go in the game. As Spurrier left the field, a Georgia fan doused him with a cup of tobacco spit.
"A lot of our coaches have mentioned to me that no one had scored 50 points in here before, so we wanted to do that," Spurrier said at the time. "We wanted to try to make it a memorable game for the Gators, and it was."

cashman

Banned
Surely there will be a good assistant coach who wants to head coach in the SEC who will put their hand up?

South Carolina should get their share of talent and their spend on football is good.

Spurrier is an incredible coach and he was there for 11 years and only won the division once. It's a trap.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Blue Chip recruit, and former USC commit Daelin Hayes, who signed a financial aid agreement with the Trojans has announced on twitter that he is decommitting from USC. Several other schools had been courting the linebacker despite his commitment to USC. The statement read:

"At this time my family and I feel that it is in my best interest to de-commit from the University of Southern California and open my recruitment process," Hayes wrote in a Tweet. "I'd like to thank the USC Coaching staff for the opportunities that they have placed before me."

The 5-Star recruit drew interest from several schools including Notre Dame, UCLA, Alabama, Arizona, Arizona State and many more.

So, incoming NCAA violations on the Trojans. Someone break out the idiotic rulebook, could have sworn there's a penalty if the kid ends up not going to your school once you signed the Financial Aid paperwork.

But kids are already decommiting from all of USC, east and west.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
So, incoming NCAA violations on the Trojans. Someone break out the idiotic rulebook, could have sworn there's a penalty if the kid ends up not going to your school once you signed the Financial Aid paperwork.

But kids are already decommiting from all of USC, east and west.
I believe the penalties only apply if you took advantage of the extra contacts and/or other benefits allowed by a player signing the financial aid paperwork.

Predict the total number of passes attempted!
Oregon State v. Washington State - 84

Thursday
Auburn (-2.5) v. Kentucky COVER
UCLA v. Stanford (-7.5) NO COVER

Saturday
Mississippi (-9.5) v. Memphis COVER
Texas Tech (-34.5) v. Kansas COVER
Iowa (-6.5) v. Northwestern NO COVER
Alabama (-3.5) v. TAMU COVER
Michigan State v. Michigan (-6.5) NO COVER
BC v. Clemson (-17.5) COVER
Florida v. LSU (-7.5) COVER
USC v. Notre Dame (-9.5) COVER
PSU v. OSU (-16.5) COVER

FyreWulff

Spurrier is a total legend to me. Grew up loving him to death. He was the Gators.

As a Husker fan we of course thought of him as a villain for those bowl games we played him in, but everybody here certainly has respect for his career.

also just saw this quote from him

"when a fire at the Auburn library destroyed 20 books: "The real tragedy was that 15 hadn't been colored yet.""

YO, DAMN

Limedust

Sark getting fired for cause?
OBC retiring mid-season?
perfectchaos007 handling recruit's mom's fudge?

I LEAVE YOU GUYS ALONE FOR ONE EVENING BY YOURSELVES AND THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS!

andycapps

:jnc

@schadjoe: Laremy Tunsil had the use of three separate loaner vehicles over a sixth-month period without payment.

A few more...

Hanging "half a hundred" on UGA in Sanford is memorable as this year was the 20th anniversary of that happening. UGA put 52 on Sakerlina this tear, and it makes me warm inside to think that that probably pushed him over the edge.

Not really. They don't have the in state recruiting that Florida, Georgia, and LSU do. Bama gets recruits from everywhere. Sakerlina doesn't. I'm sure they'll find a coach, but it's not in the top 10 of national choices for a coach to go to. In the SEC, it probably ranks somewhere in the middle of desirability.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member

Technically I believe you're correct, but I don't think enforcement is really happening on that right now. We were in the same position with Stidham last year, and while there were a number of articles about how we violated an NCAA rule (as well as a couple of other schools in the same position last year IIRC) to my knowledge nothing has been done about it yet.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Technically I believe you're correct, but I don't think enforcement is really happening on that right now. We were in the same position with Stidham last year, and while there were a number of articles about how we violated an NCAA rule (as well as a couple of other schools in the same position last year IIRC) to my knowledge nothing has been done about it yet.

I think it recently happened to LSU but they just got a small slap on the wrist.

http://recruiting.blog.ajc.com/2015/02/27/5632/

I guess the punishment kind of sucked.

andycapps

This is a great quote from Bill Stanfill regarding Spurrier.

VFK1GXUh.jpg

Sad to see Ole Ballcoach retire. But even sadder to hear Grier is suspended. Absolutely brutal. Why do the football gods hate me? I didn't ask for too much, like those cheatenous Pats fans or thievenous Canes fans. All I wanted was one good year of football. Just fucking one. Ugh.

Interesting to see all the positive thoughts directed at Spurrier. Dude quit on his team mid-season because he doesn't like losing and that doesn't seem to really bother anyone.

KYLE FLOOD IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR THE USCE JOB!

HE IS HAPPY AT RUTGERS! YOU WILL NEED TO SETTLE FOR AN INFERIOR SCRUB COACH LIKE MARK DANTONIO.

Not feeling all of the OBC love after the juvenile way he acted any time the prospect of retirement came up, or the shitty and sleazy ways he went after journalists who dared to challenge him.

I generally don't have much respect for coaches who are too obstinate to realize they need to hang it up. They're willing to hold their programs back because they're too fucking arrogant to get the hell out.

Top Bottom