• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2015 Week Seven: Meet Texas, your 2015 National Champions

cdyhybrid

I was reading up on the twitter fallout from the Sark fire and someone mentioned Pat Fitzgerald at Northwestern and Troy Calhoun at Air Force, both of which are pretty interesting candidates but have zero experience with the booster relations and glitz that comes with USC.

Yeah, I think having to play nice with the boosters and the media is going to keep some guys away from there. They'll find someone, though. The program has too many advantages to stay down.

I was reading up on the twitter fallout from the Sark fire and someone mentioned Pat Fitzgerald at Northwestern and Troy Calhoun at Air Force, both of which are pretty interesting candidates but have zero experience with the booster relations and glitz that comes with USC.

I like Calhoun. NOt sure if Fitzgerald is a USC type of guy though. He might be too comfortable at NW. One guy I saw mentioned that intrigues me is Justin Fuente from Memphis but I don't know if he's a big enough name to merit serious consideration from Haden and co. (which is a shame)

ryseing

Chip Kelly
Tom Herman
Kyle Whittingham
Hugh Freeze
Dan Mullen
Ed Orgeron

Who am I missing?

USC is, in a lot of ways, a lateral move for Sumlin at this point. With all the money A&M is pouring into that program he's got a pretty sweet arrangement. Plus the administration is probably more willing to look the other way on certain things compared to USC since USC is only starting to really recover from the scholarship losses.

Justin Fuente.

I feel like USC at this point has to go the UF route and get a guy from the G5 who wins games. Memphis has a legit shot at a NY6 berth, especially if they beat Ole Miss this week.

I like Calhoun. NOt sure if Fitzgerald is a USC type of guy though. He might be too comfortable at NW. One guy I saw mentioned that intrigues me is Justin Fuente from Memphis but I don't know if he's a big enough name to merit serious consideration from Haden and co. (which is a shame)

Beat me to it.

Maybe USC hires Mike Riley away from his nightmare at Nebraska.

Rowdy-Roddy-Piper.gif

El_Chino

He either didn't know and didn't check his weight gain substance with the staff to see if it was legal, or he knew and didn't check it.

One's dumb, one's dishonest.

Or he really didn't think to check with the staff. I just feel like just because you're a collegiate/pro athlete doesn't mean you're no longer capable of an honest mistake. To think that in itself is dumb.

FyreWulff

Maybe USC hires Mike Riley away from his nightmare at Nebraska.

they'd basically have to (functionally) buy out both Riley and Bo Pelini's contracts to even get Nebraska to think about letting that happen

Bo is still on our payroll for a while

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/...cle_5e4adf56-f8b5-11e4-932a-f3d7b4192de1.html

>> At $128,009 per month from now through Feb. 28, 2019 — 1,389 days — Nebraska will pay Pelini $4,212.99 per day to not be the Husker coach. That includes weekends.

Draxal

So likely coaches to move up.

Babers (Bowling Green) - Briles Disciple.
Fuente (Memphis) - Patterson Disciple
Herman (Houston) - Meyer amongst others.

cdyhybrid

Jeff Darlington ‏@JeffDarlington 10s
I always thought if Spurrier returned to Florida, it would be as the coach. But this, coming back to replace Grier as QB, is a real stunner.

I'm shocked that Spurrier is retiring mid-season. Did he have a health scare?

FyreWulff

Jeff Darlington ‏@JeffDarlington 10s
I always thought if Spurrier returned to Florida, it would be as the coach. But this, coming back to replace Grier as QB, is a real stunner.

I'm shocked that Spurrier is retiring mid-season. Did he have a health scare?

Could be. Did he fly to the LSU game? Flights are a good way to trigger heath issues in older people.

impirius

Could be. Did he fly to the LSU game? Flights are a good way to trigger heath issues in older people.

They did fly to the LSU game, but I think* it's probably just fatigue catching up to him during a difficult season. He's been very exasperated during press conferences lately, and it's a far cry from the amusing sort of exasperation we're used to. I hate to see him end his Gamecock career this way.

* I hope

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Life is pain

Welp, HBC has nothing left to prove but I am surprised he is doing it mid season. I guess no point in doing the SCAR/Duke series he talked about, but there was a good chance he wouldn't be there when it happened anyway. Cutcliffe probably won't be at Duke at that point either, not as head coach anyway.

impirius

Welp, HBC has nothing left to prove but I am surprised he is doing it mid season. I guess no point in doing the SCAR/Duke series he talked about, but there was a good chance he wouldn't be there when it happened anyway. Cutcliffe probably won't be at Duke at that point either, not as head coach anyway.

I'd still love to see that series, and not just because I'm in Durham. (Well, okay, a little bit because I'm in Durham.)

I agree, but the boosters have too much influence and I don't think they liked the Orgeron pick

Then Haden needs to keep them happy and shut them up without completely kowtowing to them. Christ, keep the hands out of the kitchen. Winning solves everything and if Ed could have done that then he should have picked that battle to fight.

Steve Spurrier is 70 years old? I have no idea why that surprised me. But it does mean retirement makes a whole lot of sense.

I am shocked. I mean he is 70, but that program wouldn't have been where it was without him. I mean that program might be in disarray. It didn't even look like there was a succession plan put into place or something to ease the transition.

What a fuckin day.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I'd still love to see that series, and not just because I'm in Durham. (Well, okay, a little bit because I'm in Durham.)

It still might, I think Cutcliffe said he thought it would be a great game when asked about it. At some point, we're going to have to play some SEC teams soon, and it can be a long ass time before we play a team like Alabama again.......

although, if we did, we're not losing 63-13 like last time.

Spurrier's final game was coaching the home team at LSU. lol

But his sorry ass team still beat UNC....Next to Tennessee, I don't know any team Spurrier trolled better than UNC.

I have a /csb to add.

I was working my company's booth at a county trade show today and next to me was a lady selling fudge. We talked for a bit because foot traffic was slow and I even bought some fudge from her. I told her it was amazing then I asked her why she didn't have a storefront, and she said that's something they would look into when her son goes off to college next year. I asked where he was going and she said he was recruited to play for Florida. Wait, what? Long story short, her son is 2016 Florida Gata QB commit Kyle Trask. So naturally I asked her if she had heard the news today about Grier getting busted with PED's and of course she was and also concerned that since it was an over the counter supplement that her son and other players may accidentally take something banned. And I agreed with her and said "yeah I bet that list of banned substances changes on a weekly basis with all the new stuff over the counter, so you have to be up to date". She mentioned he was trying to finish all his course work to get to Florida in January to enroll early and I said well after this news about Grier, he may be needed sooner than later. Anyways, that was my interesting convo with the fudge lady today. /csb

jjasper

And now Spurrier is retiring. Not enough drinks in the world.
This is sad but it was pretty clear it was coming. His run at USC was over anyone could see it. Just sucks his last game has come and gone with no celebration just a beat down in a weird situation

Top Bottom