• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2015 Week Seven: Meet Texas, your 2015 National Champions

ryseing

But his sorry ass team still beat UNC....Next to Tennessee, I don't know any team Spurrier trolled better than UNC.

Georgia.

Somebody out there has hired a gypsy to curse this team
I swear to you all I will make it my personal mission to hunt down this gypsy and kill them. Upon doing so I will then carve out the gypsy's heart, burn it with the customary ritual herbs and scatter the ashes around Memorial Stadium. It's the only way.

Oh Nebraska.

Lunar15

Its hilarious coming from Florida fans after the vitriol they've thrown Urbz way

I'll never hate someone who's given us two national championships.

His exit was weird, but hey, Ohio State is his dream job, I get it.

Also, I'm glad this thread went back to hating Spurrier. Just feels right. Everyone was loving him too much, this is how I remember it being.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Yeah one quit after the season, one didnt.

What do Florida fans care if Spurrier quit on Carolina? He didn't quit on them like Urbz did for weird reasons and then go to another college team that would seem to contradict his weird reasons.

Spurrier is also not evil. Just a dick.

Draxal

What do Florida fans care if Spurrier quit on Carolina? He didn't quit on them like Urbz did for weird reasons and then go to another college team that would seem to contradict his weird reasons.

Spurrier is also not evil. Just a dick.

A really funny dick.

I think he also realized that since Harb's is back in full glory that his dickiness championship belt has been taken over by Harbs, who is probably going to succeed in flipping some big recruits from tOSU and PSU.

Lunar15

Spurrier was a stubborn asshole. I'll never forget the November FSU game where Danny Wuerffel just kept getting sacked and everyone was pleading for him to use the shotgun formation.

When he finally used the shotgun in the National Championship, which was pretty tantamount to our victory, he mentioned to the reporter that his wife told him he had to use the shotgun or he was banned from the house.

But I really loved him. I believe he's a really good man and the players always loved him. He infuriated sports writers to no end though, it was great.

LOOK GUYS!

STEVE SPURRIER IS NOT GOING TO COACH RUTGERS! KYLE FLOOD IS STILL THE COACH AT RUTGERS!

StEvE SpurrIER might be able to coach Illinois. However, there is only one coaCh for me.

The best coach.

This MAN:

101714-FSO-CFB-Kyle-Flood.vadapt.620.high.41.jpg

xeris

Predict the total number of passes attempted!
Oregon State v. Washington State - 74

Thursday
Auburn (-2.5) v. Kentucky COVER

Saturday
Mississippi (-9.5) v. Memphis NO COVER
Texas Tech (-34.5) v. Kansas COVER
Iowa (-6.5) v. Northwestern COVER
Alabama (-3.5) v. TAMU NO COVER
Michigan State v. Michigan (-6.5) NO COVER Pretty sure I'm wrong but can't pick UM.
BC v. Clemson (-17.5) COVER
Florida v. LSU (-7.5) COVER
USC v. Notre Dame (-9.5) NO COVER
PSU v. OSU (-16.5) COVER

Draxal

LOOK GUYS!

STEVE SPURRIER IS NOT GOING TO COACH RUTGERS! KYLE FLOOD IS STILL THE COACH AT RUTGERS!

StEvE SpurrIER might be able to coach Illinois. However, there is only one coaCh for me.

The best coach.

This MAN:

101714-FSO-CFB-Kyle-Flood.vadapt.620.high.41.jpg

I'd love it if Flood hired him as a consultant to especially piss off Politi.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently Texas Tech scored 366 total points last season, and through only half of this season we already have 316.

Only need 50 points to match last season's points total, and we play Kansas this weekend.

If you guys want one more crazy story, a former A&M player and UT commit, was just arrested for stabbing somebody to death in Dallas. You might remember Thomas Johnson as that one A&M player who went missing for a few days and then quit the team after that.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...homas-johnson-suspected-dallas-jogger-killing

He has confessed to the killing

“It appears Mr. Johnson picked this victim at random. Absolutely random,” Deputy Chief Rob Sherwin said. “He just attacked him. … It’s just very unusual. It’s quite shocking.”

Police also said that Johnson admitted to the murder after he was apprehended. His alleged victim was described as a white male between 25 and 35 years old. The man, who died at a hospital, was one of four people murdered by White Rock Lake on Monday in Dallas, though the attacks don't appear to be connected. Johnson allegedly killed the man as he was running on the White Rock Trail.

4 murders around 1 lake on Monday and they are not connected. That's horrifying

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
He has confessed to the killing

“It appears Mr. Johnson picked this victim at random. Absolutely random,” Deputy Chief Rob Sherwin said. “He just attacked him. … It’s just very unusual. It’s quite shocking.”

4 murders around 1 lake on Monday and they are not connected. That's horrifying
I believe he also called the police on himself when he realized what he did. Schizophrenia is a bitch.

andycapps

I love the description in the link:

"The Jackets were division champs last year, and went on to win the Orange Bowl and grab the #8 ranking in the final AP Poll. This year promises even bigger things."

Yeah, about that...
Yeah, things have changed quite a bit since last season. I haven't watched enough to know what's the difference, I've just seen their offense be pretty inconsistent.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Most Duke football fans still love Spurrier, from the UNC scoreboard photo, to coaching a game that he was suspended from by watching it from a building adjacent to WW and calling in the plays, and still voting for those sorry Duke teams in the coaches poll. He got a nice ovation a couple of years back when he attended the 25th anniversary of the 89 team.

bachikarn

Spurrier was a stubborn asshole. I'll never forget the November FSU game where Danny Wuerffel just kept getting sacked and everyone was pleading for him to use the shotgun formation.

When he finally used the shotgun in the National Championship, which was pretty tantamount to our victory, he mentioned to the reporter that his wife told him he had to use the shotgun or he was banned from the house.

But I really loved him. I believe he's a really good man and the players always loved him. He infuriated sports writers to no end though, it was great.

Gator fans always say this, but it is not as easy as they make it seem.. Spurrier almost exclusively used under center at the time (which was really weird/unique for passing offense). You can't just switch to things you have never practiced in the middle of a game.

Yeah, things have changed quite a bit since last season. I haven't watched enough to know what's the difference, I've just seen their offense be pretty inconsistent.
Its a combination of poor play, injuries, and inexperience. We had 7 RBs graduate after last season. We have had 10 RBs either get hurt, or kicked off the team so far this season. Walk ons and true freshmen are getting significant playing time. Not a single guy who carried the ball against Clemson had any carries at all last year. Adding to that, our OL is playing pretty poorly and our long snapper has snapped the ball over our punters head 3 times so far this season.

Lunar15

Gator fans always say this, but it is not as easy as they make it seem.. Spurrier almost exclusively used under center at the time (which was really weird/unique for passing offense). You can't just switch to things you have never practiced in the middle of a game.

Yeah, but it was a gradual thing all season. I get what happened and why he refused to use it, it was just funny hearing him tell the anecdote about his wife and poking fun at his own stubbornness.

We won the national championship, so it's a good memory. A funny one. His stubbornness was endearing, at least looking back at it.

andycapps

I really dislike Mark Bradley from the AJC quite a bit, but I think he nailed Spurrier's resignation here.

More at the link

Over the past few hours, I’ve seen Spurrier characterized as “a class act.” He wasn’t. He was a great coach, but he wasn’t a classy one. He ran up the score. He chortled at the loser’s expense. His press conferences were often described as “hilarious.” They weren’t. They were amusing, yes, but they weren’t fall-down-laughing funny in the way a Jim Valvano briefing could be. (That line about the Auburn library fire and the coloring books is older than Spurrier, who’s 70.)

What was striking about a Spurrier session wasn’t the quality of wit but the rarity of what we were seeing/hearing. For both better and worse, nobody else did what he did. I say again: What successful coach tweaks his vanquished opponents? Does Krzyzewski gig Wake Forest? And if your opponents were so dim-witted, doesn’t that diminish the achievement of vanquishing them? Why couldn’t a coach of such surpassing excellence be content with being surpassingly excellent?

It stood to reason that any coach – not that there are any quite like Spurrier – who flaunted winning would be hypersensitive to losing. Sure enough, the two times things didn’t go Spurrier’s way, he did what coaches are forever urging their players never to do: He quit. He bailed after two losing seasons with the Washington Redskins. Now he’s gone after six games, four of them losses. As long as he was winning and strutting, coaching was a gas. When it became clear he couldn’t win/strut, he’d head for the beach.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Its a combination of poor play, injuries, and inexperience. We had 7 RBs graduate after last season. We have had 10 RBs either get hurt, or kicked off the team so far this season. Walk ons and true freshmen are getting significant playing time. Not a single guy who carried the ball against Clemson had any carries at all last year. Adding to that, our OL is playing pretty poorly and our long snapper has snapped the ball over our punters head 3 times so far this season.
How many running backs did you have on scholarship last year?

Lunar15

The thing I liked about spurrier is that, while he was a stubborn prick who could burn opponents on any given day, he had a sense of humor about himself. He could laugh at himself, even though he hated losing. I think that if he lacked that, he'd be terrible.

But love for him outside of the fanbases he coached is relatively recent. The press hated him, other coaches hated him, he just didn't give a shit.

Are florida fans upset at him for leaving when he did? Not at all. Will South Carolina's fans be all that mad? No, they won't. At least not for long. He gave that program a lot, even if they only won the division once. He put that team in the conversation for years.

I also don't get the argument that he's a coach that was too obstinate to hang it up. He just did the opposite of that, he's getting out because he realizes it's not working anymore. It's way better than Bowden who lounged around in a figurehead fashion while Jimbo was making all the calls for some time. Then when they finally ditched Bowden, it was a bit of a shitstorm as he went out with a bit of a grudge. That, to me, is worse.

How many running backs did you have on scholarship last year?
We had 13 on scholarship last year (3 redshirts). 7 graduated. Of the other 6, one got kicked off the team, two are injured and out for the year, and the other three are currently injured but should come back at some point this season.

Lunar15

Everyday should be Saturday had a good writeup on it. Noted florida homer, but it's a look into how he ticked and why it was kind of endearing but also very selfish.

I'd post it but I'm on mobile.

Interesting to see all the positive thoughts directed at Spurrier. Dude quit on his team mid-season because he doesn't like losing and that doesn't seem to really bother anyone.

I think Stewart Mandel said something on Twitter last night like "Mark Richt is 80-36 at Georgia and might get his car keyed. Steve Spurrier 44-40 and might get a parade."

They need THAT FLOOD!

HE HAS A 25-19 COACHING RECORD AT RUTGERS! RUTGERS!

IF YOU CAN WIN THERE WITH THE SPINELESS MEDIA, PRESIDENT, BOOSTERS, NJ FOOTBALL PLAYERS, BREATHING DOWN ON YOU THEN YOU CAN WIN ANYWHERE.

JUST THINK WHAT HE COULD DO WITH ACTUAL SUPPORT.

,@SportsCenter: USC AD Pat Haden says he couldn't get a hold of Steve Sarkisian to fire him & the 2 still haven't spoken. #LIVEonSC

Yikes

Top Bottom