• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2015 Week Seven: Meet Texas, your 2015 National Champions

Urbs was doing his standard shit at Bowling Green and Utah. His QBs didn't run for 1000 but to be fair one of them was Alex Smith. DickRod was doing his standard shit at WuVu and getting similar stats out of his QBs IIRC. That shit was pretty memorable because their offenses were considered pretty wacky or gimmicky at the time and they got a lot of chatter.

VY was not the first of his kind, but he was definitely a hell of a QB.
oh yeah thats right. i forgot alex smith was a spread qb in college. oh well sometimes you get credit for being first if you happen to be the first really popular one rather than the actual first.

This weeks game poster:

201507-game-poster.jpg.pagespeed.ce.-60cvZApoA.jpg

hmm VY *did* ad lib a lot but its not true that they didn't design an offense around VYs abilities. The spread zone read was installed after that OU loss the year before the championship run. i cant say what rich rod and urban were doing before 2005, but VY did seem like the first of his kind given he was the first to pass for 3k and run for 1k in the same season

dude was a beast. i wouldnt give mack and davis much credit though. they were obviously relatively average football coaches with good management skills which mostly meant letting the really talented players do their thing and get out of the way.

Dick Rod's system isn't really about the read option. It is more about spreading the field wide as possible, throwing the ball short and letting receivers and backs use space and make moves in the open field.

You can find an old version of his playbook here:

http://jameslightfootball.com/2015/03/08/rich-rodriguez-2005-west-virginia-offensive-playbook/

I think he has adopted more read option over the years, because pretty much everyone has.

http://www.californiagoldenblogs.co...zona-wildcats-football-kadeem-carey-bj-denker

oh yeah thats right. i forgot alex smith was a spread qb in college. oh well sometimes you get credit for being first if you happen to be the first really popular one rather than the actual first.

The thing I remember about VY though is that a lot of what he did wasn't really the planned stuff we see teams run these days. A lot of Vince Young best runs were like Russell Wilson's best runs, undesigned runs that came when he made something out of a busted play. It helped that he was taller, stronger and faster than a lot of guys as well.

El_Chino

Ah yes, because no one ever gets arrested at other schools and the coaches know exactly which prospects have a higher propensity for crime.
Shh, just let the Gator hate flow. Imagine if this was the 90s, it would be so much worse.

I think Florida gets too much shit here for no reason.

Lunar15

Shh, just let the Gator hate flow. Imagine if this was the 90s, it would be so much worse.

I think Florida gets too much shit here for no reason.

I'm just on edge this week. Lots of shitty news.

Don't know about hate, but I'm used to people clowning around about florida, no problems with that. There's a disproportionate amount of Florida fans in here, so it evens out. Everyone else has to deal with us filling a page with orange and blue uniforms.

EDIT: Literally, there's so many gators on this page alone. It's kind of weird.

Glad to see Florida is continuing Urban Meyer's tradition of recruiting reprehensible human beings.

Oh shut up. Urban Meyer never recruited "reprehensible human beings." He let guys off for doing shit when they got to UF, no doubt, but it's not like these guys talk about all the shit they're going to get into while being recruited.

Why does everyone hate the Gators? It's so sad, no other school ever gets shat on like this or made fun of or mocked or whatever. Only the Gators. It's so hard out here for a Gator fan.

Anyway, on an unrelated note, go Yellowjackets! Chop block some fools!

I don't really hate the Gators per se(outside of 2006 National Championship Game and just some of their fan base. Not talking about Gator-GAF here)

1) the way some piss and moan about how Urban left even when he brought you national championships is idiotic. On other sports websites (Bleacher Report for example when I frequented it more so than now) complain and whine. Spurrier was never bitched about in comparison.

2) Gata being a U.F fan. I mean we shouldn't want one of his teams being successful because that would give him hope about the Jacksonville Jaguars. (Of course I'm a Cleveland fan so the same could be said of me)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Why does everyone hate the Gators? It's so sad, no other school ever gets shat on like this or made fun of or mocked or whatever. Only the Gators. It's so hard out here for a Gator fan.

They are a non-Alabama SEC team!

I guess I should want other SEC teams to do well so it makes my team look better. But no, the best season ever would be the theoretical one where only undefeated Bama makes a bowl/playoff game.

Ironic, coming from a LSU Tyga fan like yourself. Why don't you geaux eat some corn dogs with a side of grass

andycapps

I'll have y'all know I've hated the Gatas for as long as I've drawn breath. I didn't need another arrest to stoke those fires. They burn eternal.

Lunar15

Dagnabbit, I blame spurrier for all of this.

That son of a gun.

I'll have y'all know I've hated the Gatas for as long as I've drawn breath. I didn't need another arrest to stoke those fires. They burn eternal.

And I wouldn't have it any other way. I don't hate the dawgs though, I always want them to win, except when they play us. Same for FSU, really. I don't even hate Meyer! I'm a bad Gator fan in that respect.

In terms of schools that get the most hate on here, I'd say FSU was a top contender last year. Wasn't even deserved most of the time. Oregon too, especially this year. I imagine that's the PAC side of things.

El_Chino

I don't really hate the Gators per se(outside of 2006 National Championship Game and just some of their fan base. Not talking about Gator-GAF here)

1) the way some piss and moan about how Urban left even when he brought you national championships is idiotic. On other sports websites (Bleacher Report for example when I frequented it more so than now) complain and whine. Spurrier was never bitched about in comparison.

2) Gata being a U.F fan. I mean we shouldn't want one of his teams being successful because that would give him hope about the Jacksonville Jaguars. (Of course I'm a Cleveland fan so the same could be said of me)
No matter what he did, how his team was doing, or what team he coached. The way he left was extremely sketchy, considering not long after he went to the buckeyes.

Hell I'm even disappointed the way Spurrier retired, a coach shouldn't do that to their team.
I hate the Gators.
I hate the Seminoles.

I'm even disappointed the way Spurrier retired, a coach shouldn't do that to their team.

If I may defend him for a moment. I haven't heard anything he has said, but maybe once he decided he was going to retire, he didn't think he would give the team his all. He wouldn't have skin in the game, his mind would be elsewhere. I bet that he knew that upon making the decision, he might as well do it immediately instead of playing out the string as a lame duck. That, and it avoids attention should he announce his retirement but stick around, as then the second half of the season would become all about him and his legacy instead of the team. To an extent, that's going to happen this way, too, but less so since he won't be on the sideline and there won't be some countdown to his last game.

He'll I'm even disappointed the way Spurrier retired, a coach shouldn't do that to their team.

Guess it depends who you talk to. Fans fucking love it. Not because they hated Spurrier but because they appreciate a coach getting out of the way if he feels like he's just bogging the program down and isn't it in anymore.

Honestly I feel like this is better for most involved. It allows SCar to start looking for a new coach/es earlier and they in turn can get working on the recruiting trail earlier.

Mark Richt has lost control of the thread.

No matter what he did, how his team was doing, or what team he coached. The way he left was extremely sketchy, considering not long after he went to the buckeyes.

Okay.. So what? The man didn't owe the Gators a damn thing. I mean how is it sketchy?

Left school first time. Didn't want quit so came back.

Retired second time probably after his family busted his ass which families would do.

Went to espn to be an analyst because what the hell was he going to do. Sip margaritas on a beach at his age? Nah.

Tressel happened and that is his dream job. So yeah.. Makes sense he would want to take that job.

Here we are. The question is would Gata fans be less butthurt about what happened if Muschamp wasn't a dud? The answer is no because why would they be? Everything would have been fine in the swamp then.

List of schools that get piled upon in this thread:

???

I'm honestly missing it.

Okay.. So what? The man didn't owe the Gators a damn thing. I mean how is it sketchy?

Urban Meyer owned the tattoo shops that ultimately brought down Jim Tressel and allowed him to ascend to the throne. He was just biding his time at ESPN.

It all makes sense if you follow the money, sheeple. ILLUMINATI

El_Chino

If I may defend him for a moment. I haven't heard anything he has said, but maybe once he decided he was going to retire, he didn't think he would give the team his all. He wouldn't have skin in the game, his mind would be elsewhere. I bet that he knew that upon making the decision, he might as well do it immediately instead of playing out the string as a lame duck. That, and it avoids attention should he announce his retirement but stick around, as then the second half of the season would become all about him and his legacy instead of the team. To an extent, that's going to happen this way, too, but less so since he won't be on the sideline and there won't be some countdown to his last game.

Guess it depends who you talk to. Fans fucking love it. Not because they hated Spurrier but because they appreciate a coach getting out of the way if he feels like he's just bogging the program down and isn't it in anymore.

Honestly I feel like this is better for most involved. It allows SCar to start looking for a new coach/es earlier and they in turn can get working on the recruiting trail earlier.
The way I look it is South Carolina football is a sinking ship and Spurrier was the captain, a captain should go down with the ship instead bailing out and leaving them to their doom.

But that's just my opinion.

Left school first time. Didn't want quit so came back.

Retired second time probably after his family busted his ass which families would do.

Went to espn to be an analyst because what the hell was he going to do. Sip margaritas on a beach at his age? Nah.

Tressel happened and that is his dream job. So yeah.. Makes sense he would want to take that job.

Here we are. The question is would Gata fans be less butthurt about what happened if Muschamp wasn't a dud? The answer is no because why would they be? Everything would have been fine in the Swamp.

What made it sketchy was the "health related" issues associated to the stress of coaching, he looks he's been in great shape since then! Even players from that team couldn't believe he left the way he did.

It has nothing to do with "owing us" anything.
Everyone in Gainesville felt that after Tebow, Harvin, Haden and all the play makers left, he didn't want to be around anymore because he didn't want to rebuild, but hey that's just one "Gata's" opinion. Mock all you want.

Urban Meyer owned the tattoo shops that ultimately brought down Jim Tressel and allowed him to ascend to the throne. He was just biding his time at ESPN.

It all makes sense if you follow the money, sheeple. ILLUMINATI

And he causes Pryor and company to go and buy them.. That bastard.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Jimmy Hyams ‏@JimmyHyams 4h4 hours ago
Steve Shaw said he’s interested in expanding replay to include ineligible receiver downfield since it is such a hard call for officials.

Steve Shaw is the Coordinator of the Ref's in the SEC.

*Steve Shaw is an Alabama Graduate, TINFOIL AWAY.

What made it sketchy was the "health related" issues associated to the stress of coaching, he looks he's been in great shape since then! Even players from that team couldn't believe he left the way he did.

It has nothing to do with "owing us" anything.
Everyone in Gainesville felt that after Tebow, Harvin, Haden and all the play makers left, he didn't want to be around anymore because he didn't want to rebuild, but hey that's just one "Gata's" opinion. Mock all you want.

Except.. He left you all with talent when he left.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1441755-florida-football-re-grading-the-2009-recruiting-class

So you don't have to read it if you don't want. Bleacher Report write up which basically shows that it was a top ten class (11 according to Rivals) to a top five class (According to ESPN) I mean if he wasn't in the mood for a rebuild then I guess it didnt show up in recruiting.

Players can't believe that a coach wouldn't tell them about how he was outside when it is clear he had health related issues. I mean it would be like Coaches wanting your players to worry about things that are outside of their control (you know like good coaches would do). I mean unless you think he had his wife fake a 911 call and medical reports just to get out of Gainesville.

I don't get this line of thought. It makes no sense. If you just want to say I hate Urban because he left and then we sucked then.. sure. I can understand that. This whole lying about his health and then going to Ohio State in a year thing and the like is just grasping at straws.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Stick around. Every school gets grief in here, because most every school either deserves it or at the very least has fans of rival schools who like to needle and prod. FSU, Penn State, Auburn, Ohio State, etc. Coaches, players, nobody is immune.

What the hell has Penn State ever done to deserve criticism?

Stick around. Every school gets grief in here, because most every school either deserves it or at the very least has fans of rival schools who like to needle and prod. FSU, Penn State, Auburn, Ohio State, etc. Coaches, players, nobody is immune.

Well that's almost completely true.. Duke hasn't though because they don't really play much football there so their collective souls clean.
Cutliffe is awesome and I actually don't dislike Duke.

What school did Maurice Clarrett go to?

Everytime I see his name. I get depressed. He could have been possibly the best running back in Ohio State history. I honestly believe that.

andycapps

And I wouldn't have it any other way. I don't hate the dawgs though, I always want them to win, except when they play us. Same for FSU, really. I don't even hate Meyer! I'm a bad Gator fan in that respect.

In terms of schools that get the most hate on here, I'd say FSU was a top contender last year. Wasn't even deserved most of the time. Oregon too, especially this year. I imagine that's the PAC side of things.
You lost me when you said you rooted for us, but that's cool man. I don't hate fans of other teams, just the football program. Although some individual fans of other schools have tried my patience over the years when they get a little drunk, but we all have our bad days.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
You lost me when you said you rooted for us, but that's cool man. I don't hate fans of other teams, just the football program. Although some individual fans of other schools have tried my patience over the years when they get a little drunk, but we all have our bad days.

You have never dealt with Miami fans then.

Top Bottom