• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2015 Week Seven: Meet Texas, your 2015 National Champions

Lunar15

Spurrier always joked that he didn't want anyone to beat his biggest accomplishment: going 0-14 as QB for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. 2008 Detroit broke that streak, though.

andycapps

More than admitting he failed and someone else will likely do better?

That's less hurtful to his pride than continuing to lose. And I don't know that someone else will necessarily do better. That cupboard is pretty bare, though they might benefit from the interim coach being a lot more energized right now.

impirius

Spurrier was 86-49 at Carolina, and even losing out in-conference (VU, A&M, UT, UF) wouldn't have put him below .500 in SEC play.

It's no secret that questions about Spurrier's retirement have hurt recruiting over the past couple of years, and things clearly aren't going in the right direction on the field this season. Retiring now gives the Gamecocks a better chance in the future than limping to the end of what is likely to be a losing season. Something had to change, so he went ahead and changed it.

inm8num2

Did they graffiti the statue using a bottle of mustard?
Looks like it on the face and chest. ;)

We'll need a nice rug to tie the room together, since we're living in their heads and all.
Spartan Dawgs are going to cut off their johnsons.

Tech painted the arch yellow years back. It happens. Reminds me of when a piece of Clempson's rock was stolen.

Sparty gets vandalized about once every year (it goes both ways), but going after Magic? That's a line that shan't be crossed. :p

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Bob Stoops on Monday concerning the Texas loss -

Bob Stoops said:
"We did our part, we showed them 100 times. We went through the last, 2 years ago, the Texas game, and where they're ranked, and where we're ranked, and what's happening, and you show it to 'em, you show it to 'em, you show 'em. They've got to choose to be ready to play. I can't figure out why that would be that a 20 year old, 21 year old, when you only get to play so many times and you have a rivalry game, that they're not, you know. I didn't feel that way. Again, you could put it all on me, but I don't play."

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Oregon State v. Washington State - 87 passes

Thursday
Auburn (-2.5) v. Kentucky - NO COVER
UCLA v. Stanford (-7.5) - COVER

Saturday
Mississippi (-9.5) v. Memphis - COVER
Texas Tech (-34.5) v. Kansas - COVER
Iowa (-6.5) v. Northwestern - NO COVER
Alabama (-3.5) v. TAMU - COVER
Michigan State v. Michigan (-6.5) - NO COVER
BC v. Clemson (-17.5) - NO COVER
Florida v. LSU (-7.5) - NO COVER
USC v. Notre Dame (-9.5) - COVER
PSU v. OSU (-16.5) - NO COVER

Kacar

Oregon State vs Washington State-65

Thursday
Auburn (-2.5) v. Kentucky COVER
UCLA v. Stanford (-7.5) NO COVER

Saturday
Mississippi (-9.5) v. Memphis NO COVER
Texas Tech (-34.5) v. Kansas NO COVER
Iowa (-6.5) v. Northwestern COVER
Alabama (-3.5) v. TAMU NO COVER
Michigan State v. Michigan (-6.5) NO COVER
BC v. Clemson (-17.5) COVER
USC v. Notre Dame (-9.5) NO COVER
PSU v. OSU (-16.5) COVER

Draxal

Spurrier was 44-40 at USC. If he'd finished out the season he almost certainly would have finished below .500 there, which would have tarnished his legacy there.

MRE, champion of the South and Upper East Side Socialites

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Predict the total number of passes attempted!
Oregon State v. Washington State 82

Thursday
Auburn (-2.5) v. Kentucky No Cover

Saturday
Mississippi (-9.5) v. Memphis Cover
Texas Tech (-34.5) v. Kansas Cover
Iowa (-6.5) v. Northwestern No Cover
Alabama (-3.5) v. TAMU Cover
Michigan State v. Michigan (-6.5) Cover
BC v. Clemson (-17.5) Cover
Florida v. LSU (-7.5) Cover
USC v. Notre Dame (-9.5) Cover
PSU v. OSU (-16.5) No Cover

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Tiebreaker
Oregon State v. Washington State: 82 attempts

Thursday
Auburn (-2.5) v. Kentucky NO COVER
UCLA v. Stanford (-7.5) COVER

Saturday
Mississippi (-9.5) v. Memphis COVER
Texas Tech (-34.5) v. Kansas COVER
Iowa (-6.5) v. Northwestern COVER
Alabama (-3.5) v. TAMU NO COVER
Michigan State v. Michigan (-6.5) COVER
Florida v. LSU (-7.5) NO COVER
USC v. Notre Dame (-9.5) COVER
PSU v. OSU (-16.5) (25/-14) NO COVER

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
MRE, champion of the South and Upper East Side Socialites
Nah, I'd already said I'd probably find against her too, but too many jackasses here have no idea how the legal system works and ignore anyone who tries to educate them. Instead, they want to jerk-off over what a "bitch" or a "cunt" that woman was for suing her nephew for his inheritance before the ink was even dry on his mother's death certificate.

Westonian

Tiebreaker
Oregon State v. Washington State: 86 attempts

Thursday
Auburn (-2.5) v. Kentucky NO COVER
UCLA v. Stanford (-7.5) COVER

Saturday
Mississippi (-9.5) v. Memphis NO COVER
Texas Tech (-34.5) v. Kansas NO COVER
Iowa (-6.5) v. Northwestern NO COVER
Alabama (-3.5) v. TAMU COVER
Michigan State v. Michigan (-6.5) COVER
Florida v. LSU (-7.5) COVER
USC v. Notre Dame (-9.5) NO COVER
PSU v. OSU (-16.5) NO COVER

Draxal

Nah, I'd already said I'd probably find against her too, but too many jackasses here have no idea how the legal system works and ignore anyone who tries to educate them. Instead, they want to jerk-off over what a "bitch" or a "cunt" that woman was for suing her nephew for his inheritance before the ink was even dry on his mother's death certificate.

Honestly, once you explained what she was doing I was like ... Ohh that makes complete sense.

And, you were thus vindicated today.

Now I really hope MSU kicks the shit out of scUM.

oh we're going to act like we don't see this back and forth annually.

if spray paint on buildings is what helps you get motivated, expect to be motivated every year. because the shit happens on both campuses. every year.

inm8num2

oh we're going to act like we don't see this back and forth annually.

if spray paint on buildings is what helps you get motivated, expect to be motivated every year. because the shit happens on both campuses. every year.

Heh, it's almost as if you didn't continue reading the thread and took my comment as me being 100% super duper serious angry.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Heh, it's almost as if you didn't continue reading the thread and took my comment as me being 100% super duper serious angry.

Jesus, calm down you are being ridiculous right now. It is just a game, take a deep breath.

wABygpQ.jpg

he couldn't have possibly thought that statement would go over well

I honestly think, deep down, Stoops is getting to that point where he's like, "OU wouldn't be shit without me, I've worked my ass off, so whatever." He's tired of the nickname, he's tired of the Oklahoma media, and I think he believes fans should be more appreciative of what he has done for the program.

Specifically regarding the Texas game: the truth about who is to blame is, as always, somewhere in the middle because Bob is right: you can only repeat things to players so many times, and there was an intangible there with a Texas team whose season is essentially over and who were rallying around their coach that you can't simulate in practice.

On the other hand, if your guys can't execute some fundamentals against what is overall a pretty bad team, then obviously you need to review your procedures. Bob Stoops didn't get his nickname for no reason, and I can't fathom what the hell Mike Stoops was thinking when he saw Texas run the ball like 5000 times in the first half and made seemingly no adjustments in the second.

On the other hand, if your guys can't execute some fundamentals against what is overall a pretty bad team, then obviously you need to review your procedures. Bob Stoops didn't get his nickname for no reason, and I can't fathom what the hell Mike Stoops was thinking when he saw Texas run the ball like 5000 times in the first half and made seemingly no adjustments in the second.

And to think, stoops ran Venables out of town so his brother could be the DC.

andycapps

Stoops is a professional choke artist, but I can't imagine his job is in legitimate jeopardy.

He and Richt are like the same person. Big-game fuck-ups who nevertheless will always do just good enough to stay off the hot seat.

For Richt it's hard to justify firing someone that averages around 75% win ratio, which leads the program, I believe. One could say that back then, they didn't play as many games and didn't play as many cupcakes. It's a fair point. But, it's also hard to justify when recruiting is still going great, and donors are very happy with him, and while also trying to raise funds for a $30 million indoor facility.

If Georgia were to fire Richt, who would they hire? We're not getting Chip Kelly, even though he's everyone's vogue choice for coaching hires. His scheme is complete opposite of what UGA runs, he'd piss off donors with his style, he'd burn bridges with AD, etc.

Kirby Smart is probably the one that most UGA fans would want, but there are some unknowns there in that he's never been a head coach before, and we can ask Florida how things went with Muschamp in promoting a successful DC to head coach.

Maybe we go after Dan Mullen, who was what people were wanting in 2011 when Richt had an awful season. This one could work, but I don't know if Mullen is interested in leaving for what would be a step up, but maybe not the step up in program he's looking for.

Or the Memphis coach for a different direction of a successful mid-major head coach. We could get what we got with Jim Donnan when he was lighting things up at Marshall, then he comes to UGA and loses 85% of his games to our rivals.

There aren't good answers to the question of who we get if we fire him. USC a couple years ago had to settle for Sarkisian when they got turned down by quite a few people. If USC, who has that LA media market, great recruiting base, great tradition, and great facilities can't cherry pick who they want, then who could we get with our conservative and slow moving athletic director? The odds of us ending up with another Jim Donnan or Ray Goff are much higher than ending up with another Mark Richt, much less another Vince Dooley (who actually had several losing seasons and never won a NC until Herschel was there).

There was a pretty fascinating article I read the other day where a few years ago, UGA only had around 68 scholarship athletes. That was not because of sanctions, that was a case of piss-poor roster management by Richt at the time. In a rolling 4 year time period, we'd only been at around 80% of our scholarship athletes, which obviously puts you at a huge disadvantage depth wise, which was born out in the 2012 SECCG when Bama ran all over us, we knew it was coming, but couldn't sub anyone in because there was too big of a drop off in talent.

The program is not at that point anymore and is much more aggressive in recruiting than in years past, so that issue is changing, but those players are now juniors and below. But most of our starting defense are either sophomores or true freshmen. That doesn't bode well for a defense, obviously. So these kids are talented, they're just playing earlier now than they probably should because of a lack of quality upperclassmen. You'd still expect to see the defense improve as the season wears on.

This was a Pristine wall of text, but when I said the other day that my feelings on Richt are complicated, this is why.

Stoops is a professional choke artist, but I can't imagine his job is in legitimate jeopardy.

He and Richt are like the same person. Big-game fuck-ups who nevertheless will always do just good enough to stay off the hot seat.

The difference being that Stoops has actually won big games i.e. a national championship..

Richt.. CFB version of Norv Turner.

This would be a bad off season for Georgia to fire Richt. Do they really want to compete with USC and possibly Texas for coaches?

And if Texas keeps strong for another year then next year Georgia would possibly be up against Texas.

Richt is probably safe until both those jobs are filled.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
And...

Still more than Richt has done.

If fans were trying to justify Bowden keeping his job in 2007 with a win in 1993, that would be ridiculous.

Not saying Stoops is Bowden in his later years (or his early years) but after 14 years, I think a MNC is largely irrelevant.

And...

Still more than Richt has done.

But again, it's 14 years ago and he rode one of the most talented teams assembled in some time to do it.

They're basically the same coach.

Also is the OBC really doing gameday in Ann Arbor? I hope he does commentary/network stuff on occasion during the season from now on, I need his masterwork trolling and ability to throw shade.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
If fans were trying to justify Bowden keeping his job in 2007 with a win in 1993, that would be ridiculous.

Not saying Stoops is Bowden in his later years (or his early years) but after 14 years, I think a MNC is largely irrelevant.

I mean, we have schools firing MNC winning coaches, 2-5 years afterwards.

This was a Pristine wall of text, but when I said the other day that my feelings on Richt are complicated, this is why.

Yep, I 100% agree with everything you said.

For Georgia, what lies beyond Richt is potentially far worse than the reality of keeping Richt. At least with Richt you pretty much know what to expect.

This would be a bad off season for Georgia to fire Richt. Do they really want to compete with USC and possibly Texas for coaches?

And if Texas keeps strong for another year then next year Georgia would possibly be up against Texas.

Richt is probably safe until both those jobs are filled.

Texas job isn't opening up.
USC isn't exactly on fire with getting their top choices.
Georgia is in the SEC.

QED. Georgia wins.

Though I say keep Richt.

Yahoo! Pick 'Em

Sorry for no updates lately! I've been dealing with family emergencies.

Don't forget to get your picks in for this week. There are two games being played tomorrow night for the pick 'em.

Top Bottom