• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2015 Week Three Thread: Make College Football Great Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got back from Wallace Wade. Duke sure had a throwback game today, a throwback to the years when they literally couldn't win a game. I would say it was one of the worst showings I've seen from an FBS team this year but I had the rare misfortune of watching the Southern Utah/Utah State game, which was literally the worst offense performance I have ever seen in Division I play. Note that Northwestern also looked horrible for most of the game, they points were off special teams and four Duke turnovers.

Maybe Cutcliffe can fix things, but this was the third game in the season and you are supposed to have the kind of problems they had figured out by now. Chop Block U is going to demolish them.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Does Kavinsky not post on here anymore? I was going to give him a nod for NU's defense today.

I've not seen him in a while.

Jhriad

damn if our corners don't suck.

A lot of these are just good throws into pretty good one-on-one coverage. Now I'd like to see more effort into dislodging the ball but they're not often out of position. That 50 yarder was a mismatch with D. Young, not one of our corners. There's not a lot a corner can do if the ball is thrown well to that outside shoulder. You've just gotta go after the ball and hope to disrupt possession.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Sigh...why couldn't Abdullah have had one more year of eligibiliy. Newby and Cross do not have a killer mentality. They couldn't hit a hole or make a decisive cut to save their lives.

El_Chino

He shouldn't be suspended but it is a bad look.
Um, no. A coach should be able to put his players in check. Florida NEEDS the discipline. We're one of most penalized teams in the country. McElwain is not even the first coach to do this. Saban and muschamp have also done it. Let's be real here.

VRMN

NIU looks much better than I would have expected, but there is no way OSU doesn't win this. NIU is playing way too conservative to have a chance; it's nothing but false hope.

I mean, you can't be the beneficiary of three OSU turnovers and another turnover on downs and only turn all of that into 10 points against number 1 and expect to win. You just can't.

Jhriad

Sigh...why couldn't Abdullah have had one more year of eligibiliy. Newby and Cross do not have a killer mentality. They couldn't hit a hole or make a decisive cut to save their lives.

Yeah, Newby shows flashes but he leaves a lot of yards out there when he wastes time dancing around. I'd really like to see more of Wilbon. He might not have the top gear that Newby does but at least he has shown the ability to hit the holes as soon as they develop.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Um, no. A coach should be able to put his players in check. Florida NEEDS the discipline. We're one of most penalized teams in the country. McElwain is not even the first coach to do this. Saban and muschamp have also done it. Let's be real here.

A coach should be able to put his players in check. But I wouldn't want my coach doing it that way right on the sidelines in front of everybody and their mother. It looks bad. It just looks like a tantrum. Bench Taylor's dumb ass. Tear him a new asshole in the lockerroom for doing something so stupid. Call his daddy.

Mischamp yelling at his defense when they suck like he is doing today seems different to me for some reason.

NIU looks much better than I would have expected, but there is no way OSU doesn't win this. NIU is playing way too conservative to have a chance; it's nothing but false hope.

I mean, you can't be the beneficiary of three OSU turnovers and another turnover on downs and only turn all of that into 10 points against number 1 and expect to win. You just can't.

Yep. The defense has bailed OSU out these last two games, but I still expect this to be a fairly comfortable win. But they need to get this offense under control, and quick.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Yes, we did. :(

Gerry is solid, but damn if our corners don't suck. I said coming in to the season we could just as easily go 6-6 as 8-4, and it is looking pretty damn likely at this point. I am not even sure if it is coaching or "system" either, but we just don't have the talent.

I think it's mostly talent issues, but I think the talent issues are bad across the board for the Blackshirts. The LBs are young and inexperienced, the D-line is suffering from a lack of a really strong presence like Gregory or Suh, and neither can put any pressure on the QBs without leaving the anemic secondary out to dry.

It's just a bad situation and any teams in B1G with a halfway decent QB and receiving corps are licking their chops so much right now.

Yep. The defense has bailed OSU out these last two games, but I still expect this to be a fairly comfortable win. But they need to get this offense under control, and quick.

I think we're probably done dicking around with Cardale in first halves, so that's a big step forward.

The O-line and the playcalling are what I'm really concerned about - especially the latter.

Silkworm

A coach should be able to put his players in check. But I wouldn't want my coach doing it that way right on the sidelines in front of everybody and their mother. It looks bad. It just looks like a tantrum. Bench Taylor's dumb ass. Tear him a new asshole in the lockerroom for doing something so stupid. Call his daddy.

Mischamp yelling at his defense when they suck like he is doing today seems different to me for some reason.
Muschamp always seemed a bit volatile on the sidelines. McElwain is typically calm so seeing him react strongly seems a bit out of character (at least to me). Anyway, it's likely in the past and I expect that in the future McElwain would handle things in the manner you described if needed.

I think we're probably done dicking around with Cardale in first halves, so that's a big step forward.

The O-line and the playcalling are what I'm really concerned about - especially the latter.

I feel like the O-line's issues are going to settle down a bit once there's more continuity at QB, which leaves the playcalling.

(Go back in time 9 1/2 months, clone Herman's brain, and put it in Beck's body.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom