• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2016 Championship Week: Of Meaningless Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love Wilson to come. Honestly I wish they would but the efforts for Cam Akers but at this point it's probably a lost cause. If we can retain Wade and get Wilson/Okudah I am happy. Tufele and Sheffield would also be icing on the cake. I think we are probably out for Bolden and Holmes.
Bolden will probably stay home.. man Darnold really put the program on his damn back. Holmes will probably stay out West as well..

I think we will get Tufele.. Sheffield is possible in case Wade leaves (and I don't think he is)

Akers seems tough.. if Ohio State was a little closer.. he'd have probably committed to Ohio State. I think Ed gets Cam and probably Wilson for LSU.

jjasper

Shots Fired! Wooo!

Oddly enough dude was actually moving UTk in the right direction but USC was just too alluring. He probably would have recruited the Viles in to a much better position than where they are now. It is definitely a better coach that Butch by leaps and bounds.

I think USF is perfect for him and may hurt the teams that recruit Florida hard as he has the ability to keep some of those players and doubly so with his re-polished resume.
Only problem was he was young and stupid and did a lot of dumb things recruiting (i.e. Major violations) that had he been here would have caught up to him and gotten him in deep shit. If he has learned from that and it doesn't seem like he did anything too bad at USC he can be a good coach. And yeah he is definitely a better coach than Butch Jones.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Taggart isn't what Oregon needs though. Our offense was still good if inconsistent this year.. the defense was terrible.

Taggart brings a great run offense, but ZERO defense.

At least WMU played some defensive with a great offense.. and still I don't care how bad the teams Taggart took over.. he's had one really good year.. this one in a bad conference.

The fact is, he's still a sub-500 HC with horrible defense coming to a team that needs defense.

Maybe it works out, but on paper it looks like a dud.. and if this is the best we can do then we should have waited a year. I'd like to have seen one more year from Taggart keeping USF rolling to prove he has what it takes.

"I'd like to see all 5 conference champs make the playoff." - Mark Emmert 2016

Taggart isn't what Oregon needs though. Our offense was still good if inconsistent this year.. the defense was terrible.

Taggart brings a great run offense, but ZERO defense.

At least WMU played some defensive with a great offense.. and still I don't care how bad the teams Taggart took over.. he's had one really good year.. this one in a bad conference.

The fact is, he's still a sub-500 HC with horrible defense coming to a team that needs defense.

Maybe it works out, but on paper it looks like a dud.. and if this is the best we can do then we should have waited a year. I'd like to have seen one more year from Taggart keeping USF rolling to prove he has what it takes.

He's also shown he can turn around bad programs and that he is capable of adapting his scheme to his personnel. Your defense, statistically, can't get any worse under Taggart and unlike Hoke who came in and tried to overnight change the Ducks from a 4-3 to a 3-4, Taggart will likely look at what he has and go with a scheme that fits it.

Also he has a winning record in 4 of 7 seasons coached and his teams improved every season.

cdyhybrid

Sounds like UT had a disappointing season but it's the atmosphere inside the building that would end up doing him in.

That's too bad. I don't think one disappointing season should do you in, but if football feels like a funeral keeping him around would be hard to justify.

andycapps

Sounds like UT had a disappointing season but it's the atmosphere inside the building that would end up doing him in.

That's too bad. I don't think one disappointing season should do you in, but if football feels like a funeral keeping him around would be hard to justify.
$10 million dollar buyout and an outgoing AD will probably keep him in there for one more season.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Another Alabama QB is transferring 4 in 1 year. We will only have 1 scholarship QB available for the playoff.

Congratulations, committee. You played yourself.

jjasper

What is interesting about that article is it sounds like it was started as just a state of the football program before most shit went down (transfers, losses, life championship) and the guy putting together was shocked at what he was hearing.

Another Alabama QB is transferring 4 in 1 year. We will only have 1 scholarship QB available for the playoff.

Congratulations, committee. You played yourself.

Cornwell isn't leaving until after spring. No idea about Bateman. Relax. We'll be fine.

Worst comes to worst, ArDarius was a hell of a QB in high school, and we know from the Auburn game he can still throw the rock lol

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I think everyone saw the QB exodus coming, I recall a lot of people saying that was a reason Saban wouldn't start Hurts.

andycapps

What is interesting about that article is it sounds like it was started as just a state of the football program before most shit went down (transfers, losses, life championship) and the guy putting together was shocked at what he was hearing.
Seems like it.

I think everyone saw the QB exodus coming, I recall a lot of people saying that was a reason Saban wouldn't start Hurts.

Yep. It was the one thing that gave me pause, but I always figured Saban would start the best guy, whoever it was.

Only thing that really sucks about this is I'd hoped Tua could redshirt next season to put more space between him and Hurts. Seems a bit less likely now. We need a backup.

Mac could be that, but I doubt he's signing up to come in as a cushion between two blue chippers when he's that himself. It's an interesting situation, to say the least.

tebunker

Banned
Yep. It was the one thing that gave me pause, but I always figured Saban would start the best guy, whoever it was.

Only thing that really sucks about this is I'd hoped Tua could redshirt next season to put more space between him and Hurts. Seems a bit less likely now. We need a backup.

Mac could be that, but I doubt he's signing up to come in as a cushion between two blue chippers when he's that himself. It's an interesting situation, to say the least.

Pretty crazy how it all fell out. An embarrassment of riches but also caused partially by bringing in a grad transfer in long ball coker.

Cooper starts last year without Coker and either develops better and we still win but he probably secures the job for this season.

Granted if any of these guys leaving were good enough to start they would.

Just need some depth.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I can tell we beat UGA cause fucking people care about GT again.

I've dubbed this test the grocery store test.

When we were good aka 2014 people would make comments to me (wearing GT gear). When we fell off a cliff in 2015 I wore the same gear but crickets chirping.

Fast forward to today. Went into Kroger on my way home to just grab a couple things. Boom people give a shit again. I should maybe also call it the old lady test cause like 2 out of 3 times its an older lady saying something like "Georgia Tech huh? I'm so happy we beat Georgia."

I'm always nice and cordial, but as I told my own mom and my wife where are these people when we aren't good?

andycapps

I can tell we beat UGA cause fucking people care about GT again.

I've dubbed this test the grocery store test.

When we were good aka 2014 people would make comments to me (wearing GT gear). When we fell off a cliff in 2015 I wore the same gear but crickets chirping.

Fast forward to today. Went into Kroger on my way home to just grab a couple things. Boom people give a shit again. I should maybe also call it the old lady test cause like 2 out of 3 times its an older lady saying something like "Georgia Tech huh? I'm so happy we beat Georgia."

I'm always nice and cordial, but as I told my own mom and my wife where are these people when we aren't good?
I think you're describing the average Tech "fan." Not you, of course. They're only there when they beat Georgia.

mre

Will they retroactively award Browning the Heisman based upon his performance in the Peach Bowl?

REPORT: CINCINNATI COULD HIRE LUKE FICKELL AND KERRY COOMBS

fuuuuuuuuu
giphy.gif

mre

Why would they? He couldn't beat USC and played like ass against Colorado and Utah.
See Stephen Garcia circa 2010. If even a nobody like Garcia can light us up, then surely the One True Heisman Winner, Browning, should easily pick apart a secondary that might start a former walk-on.

cdyhybrid

See Stephen Garcia circa 2010. If even a nobody like Garcia can light us up, then surely the One True Heisman Winner, Browning, should easily pick apart a secondary that might start a former walk-on.
He can't pick them apart if he's getting sacked immediately!

mre

He can't pick them apart if he's getting sacked immediately!
Nonsense. I'll just refer you to Appleby from last week who threw for 300 yards and 2 TDs. Watching a hack like Appleby put up a performance like that on Bama's D had to have given Browning an almost week-long erection. I hope he's gone to the doctor for that issue.

Nonsense. I'll just refer you to Appleby from last week who threw for 300 yards and 2 TDs. Watching a hack like Appleby put up a performance like that on Bama's D had to have given Browning an almost week-long erection. I hope he's gone to the doctor for that issue.

He threw for 269 yards on 39 attempts for a measly 6.7 yards per attempt. He also had 84 yards in INT returns against him which just makes his numbers even more ghastly.

mre

He threw for 269 yards on 39 attempts for a measly 6.7 yards per attempt. He also had 84 yards in INT returns against him which just makes his numbers even more ghastly.
What did Appleby do to you? Why do you have to diminish his accomplishments? 67% passing is no slouch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom