• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2016 Championship Week: Of Meaningless Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Guess they just give the Outland Trophy away for anything these days. Cam Robinson from Alabama won it.

I mean, he's done fine at times, but he was much better last year.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
CzMvKg6UAAATSte.jpg:large

oh man, ESPN....come on.

in case anyone doesn't notice
That's not Reuben Foster's picture.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Briles is suing Baylor for libel and slander.

Link

My first few thoughts -

1. Briles must have given up on getting a job for 2017. I think his level of toxicity was a surprise to him. Things like Houston going out of their way to say they weren't considering him must have been quite the wake up call.
  2. Baylor won't be able to hide behind sovereign immunity like we did with the Leach thing.
  3. I don't feel like he'll settle, as I think he's in this to clear his name and be able to work again more than he's in it for the money.

If I'm right on #3, along with #2 this could get real ugly.

Link

My first few thoughts -

1. Briles must have given up on getting a job for 2017. I think his level of toxicity was a surprise to him. Things like Houston going out of their way to say they weren't considering him must have been quite the wake up call.
  2. Baylor won't be able to hide behind sovereign immunity like we did with the Leach thing.
  3. I don't feel like he'll settle, as I think he's in this to clear his name and be able to work again more than he's in it for the money.

If I'm right on #3, along with #2 this could get real ugly.

I wonder if this will all lead to the Pepper Hamilton report going public

Guess they just give the Outland Trophy away for anything these days. Cam Robinson from Alabama won it.

I mean, he's done fine at times, but he was much better last year.

I think he was deserving this year, but why the hell was our O-line crowned the best in the nation last season? They were pretty dreadful, and not just by Alabama standards. Derrick Henry running for 2200+ yards behind them is actually pretty damn incredible, he'd have broke 3,000 if he hadn't been hit behind the line as often as he was.

CzMvKg6UAAATSte.jpg:large

oh man, ESPN....come on.

in case anyone doesn't notice
That's not Reuben Foster's picture.

Lmfao at them using a picture of Robert Foster.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I think he was deserving this year, but why the hell was our O-line crowned the best in the nation last season? They were pretty dreadful, and not just by Alabama standards. Derrick Henry running for 2200+ yards behind them is actually pretty damn incredible, he'd have broke 3,000 if he hadn't been hit behind the line as often as he was.

People have used that award as evidence that Bama had a great Oline last year, but it clearly wasn't the case. And this year hasn't been great either despite another nomination. If Bama really has the best Oline that must mean every Oline in the country must be struggling.

tebunker

Banned
People have used that award as evidence that Bama had a great Oline last year, but it clearly wasn't the case. And this year hasn't been great either despite another nomination. If Bama really has the best Oline that must mean every Oline in the country must be struggling.

Well to be fair most college olines are bad. There are good players but in general schemes and offenses have been designed to minimize the impact of bad line play.

Too much cut blocking, fast passing, and the pistol/shotgun. When tackles are in effect pass blocking 90% of the time its hard to really grade them.

Then add in a lot of teams just run RPO and then every lineman just needs to pick a hat and run block.

Not nearly as much trapping or pulled sweeps in CFB anymore so technique isn't coached as much.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

FSU has two all ACC olinemen. We have a horrendous oline. Just so happens 3 terrible players overshadow two great ones.

So more Marvin Wilson news..

Bama appears to be out of the Wilson race according to their insiders. Wilson is in love with Ohio State and he and his mother love Larry Johnson and his opinion is "it's like Alabama, but more fun." He reportedly loves the family environment and Browning and Okudah have been pursuing him hard.

It might come down to LSU and Ohio State with the Aggies having a decent shot at landing him still.

Also Darnay Holmes to Ohio State still might be a possibility (reportedly 40% or so) even if Wade stays.. I tell you.. if we landed both.. I think I might do a dance.

Wasn't Oregon's problem that they had a good offense with a crap-tier defense? Taggart essentially ran a good offense with one of the worst defenses in the league. Plus finished second in his division!

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if this will all lead to the Pepper Hamilton report going public

Depends on what you mean by "report." If it's just the presentation they received and associated materials then yes, I would imagine that's discoverable.

If you mean a full written report, it doesn't exist -

regent Dr. Ron Wilson...told KWTX why nothing was released beyond a 13-page “findings of fact” that included almost no facts.

“Pepper Hamilton is an oral report so the process of writing would take four to six months. Also with the personal nature of the information so much of it would be redacted. Plus, the cost would be a factor,” Wilson said.

So essentially Baylor didn't buy the "written report" add-on from PH, claiming cost and timing issues, conveniently leaving them without a paper trail.

-NeoTB1-

Major Applewhite - not Kiffkins - hired as head coach at Houston.

SportsCenter ‏@SportsCenter 52s52 seconds ago

THIS JUST IN: Houston offensive coordinator Major Applewhite has been named head coach of the Cougars.

THIS JUST IN: Houston offensive coordinator Major Applewhite has been named head coach of the Cougars.
That's still a solid hire for them..

Guess Lane is staying or going to work with Ed

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!

Looks like Houston hired Major Applewhite as their HC.

Sorry, Kiffikins.

::edit::
Beaten, but saved for posterity for two of us using "Kiffikins."
LSU be all like "so you're telling me there's a chance!"

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
The idea of playing against Kiffin next season if he got the job was weird to me. He's like a mythological creature whose exploits are told far and wide but who you never expected to actually encounter in real life.

tebunker

Banned
Kind of shocking. I'm guessing Kiffikins probably didn't like the buyout talks.

Would you? It sounded like they have deusions of grandeur. As much success as they have had until they are in a bigger conference they won't be able to hold good coaches for too long.

The other key here is Applewhite kinda can't go to UT anymore...so good on him for getting the HC job, wish him success, maybe he'll stick around longer than others.

Now I wonder is USF goes after Kiffy

Great hire by Houston. I was hoping we could get Applewhite back as an OC under Herman but the head coaching gig is a much better situation for him. He'll do just fine leading UH

Keep Sterlin then as OC?

Kinda indifferent with him tbh. His schemes didn't impress me all that much, and it got predictable at times. I wish there was another Harsin like guy available

Willie Taggart has offered the DC job to ex-Texas head coach Charlie Strong oregon.247sports.com/Article/Willie….

Honestly I think Charlie should take a look at getting Taggart's old job. Charlie needs to go back to Florida

Would you? It sounded like they have deusions of grandeur. As much success as they have had until they are in a bigger conference they won't be able to hold good coaches for too long.

The other key here is Applewhite kinda can't go to UT anymore...so good on him for getting the HC job, wish him success, maybe he'll stick around longer than others.

Now I wonder is USF goes after Kiffy

Kiffikins given his history must have some delusions of grandeur too. Anyone who takes him is taking a big risk up front. UH isn't that much of a risk and has a relatively long term level of success and is better than a good number of P5 programs.

P5 is a bullshit label by and large. And is used by many programs as a means to ride the success of actual big programs. And ultimately if a coach does that well, P5 schools have plenty of money to deal with the buyout anyway, so I don't see the big deal of a smaller school protecting themselves and asking for a large buyout. It's not like if a school like UT wants someone bad enough, they can't pay for them.

UH this year, had they not shit the bed in those few games, likely would have had a shot at the top 4 I think. I think they started ranked high enough and had enough help. Would they have gotten in? Don't know. But they would have had a shot at least.

andycapps

If Kiffin can't get the HC job he desires, and Sark really fell off the wagon, what are the odds he just sticks around in Tuscaloosa?
High, though I think if he's offered the USF job he should take it. Give him a chance to repair his HC resume before a bigger program may give him a chance in a couple years.

But you got Schiano. Charlie as a DC would only be a one year gig.
Schiano may also be a one year too depending on the breakdown of rumors.

Plus between the two.. it's probably better to be at Ohio State where you have more defensive talent stocked compared to Oregon where you have to start entirely from scratch

andycapps

Schiano may also be a one year too depending on the breakdown of rumors.

Plus between the two.. it's probably better to be at Ohio State where you have more defensive talent stocked compared to Oregon where you have to start entirely from scratch
He may also be able to make a name for himself at Oregon. Their defense has been so bad.

High, though I think if he's offered the USF job he should take it. Give him a chance to repair his HC resume before a bigger program may give him a chance in a couple years.

I think he should (and would) take the USF job if it's offered, I'm just assuming it isn't for the sake of wondering.

Man, what happens to Sark? Smh

Draxal

I don't think Schiano wants to leave fwiw, Rutgers 9.95 crowd saying that he was really burnt out as a program builder and all G5 programs are pretty much program builder atm.

I don't think Schiano wants to leave fwiw, Rutgers 9.95 crowd saying that he was really burnt out as a program builder and all G5 programs are pretty much program builder atm.

He was burnt out because Rutgers never wanted to spend any money, and he had to start with resources of a Patriot League level school.

The only school in the Big East/AAC that perhaps did as little for football was UConn.

If Greg's perception in Tampa wasn't so toxic, the USF job would be a perfect fit for him.

I don't get why Greg is so hated in Tampa, Lovie fizzled out faster than Greg despite having butt loads more experience.

He was burnt out because Rutgers never wanted to spend any money, and he had to start with resources of a Patriot League level school.

The only school in the Big East/AAC that perhaps did as little for football was UConn.

If Greg's perception in Tampa wasn't so toxic, the USF job would be a perfect fit for him.

I don't get why Greg is so hated in Tampa, Lovie fizzled out faster than Greg despite having butt loads more experience.
Greg is a bigger asshole than Lovie (who players like to play for by and large)

I still remember dumb shit he did.. like going all out on plays against the Giants when the games were over and the Giants were just taking a knee. Gerald McCoy saying Greg bitched him out for helping a player up off the ground. He did not endear himself to the locker room.

Word circulating that Luke Fickell will be the man for #UC football job. Not confirmed, and several false alarms have sounded. Stay tuned

Greg is a bigger asshole than Lovie (who players like to play for by and large)

I still remember dumb shit he did.. like going all out on plays against the Giants when the games were over and the Giants were just taking a knee. Gerald McCoy saying Greg bitched him out for helping a player up off the ground. He did not endear himself to the locker room.

Also that whole the players like to play for thing is garbage. If they really liked to play for him, why did he win 3 less games than Greg? They enjoyed playing for him so much that effort really translated into the W/L column.

I don't know, I didn't mind him telling the defense to rush the snap on a kneel down, if you're only down by less than 1 score. The unwritten rule that the offense decides they want the game to end by kneeling down so the defense has to capitulate is ridiculous.

Greg had the hard job of translating his style of coaching from 18-22 year olds, to grown men, and it's something that's difficult to do. It's the same issue Coughlin had for years where he pretty much ran things like Patton.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom