• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2016 Week Four - Off-Season Thread - tOSU wins it all

Status
Not open for further replies.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Mre, for the OT next week?

sM74sRkh.jpg
I don't pick on cripples, sorry.

andycapps

This is an interesting article on why women dress up so much for games in the south. I don't think any men are complaining, but it's nice to see a reason why.

"In all southern college towns, football is a huge part of that culture," says Hoover. "The entire back of our [Athens] store during gameday season is devoted to red and black." At other locations, the inventory is similarly tailored to reflect the team’s colors.

Even for football fans hailing from big schools in other conferences, the pervasiveness and extent of this practice in the SEC can be jarring. Dr. Mardi Schmeichel and Dr. Stacey Kerr both came from undergraduate campuses where football was a Big Deal, (Nebraska and Miami, respectively) before heading to the UGA for their doctoral programs.

"I had heard about the dressing up phenomenon in the south, but I guess I had kind of written it off as something a small group of women did, or that maybe it was just something in the Greek system," says Schmeichel. She quickly realized how drastically she had underestimated the both the football culture and the dedication to its fabled dress code. "It was far beyond the scope of what I had even been led to believe about how dressed up people were, and how many people were involved in that practice."

"Not even just college-aged women, but older women [were in dresses] as well," says Schmeichel.

For Kerr too, the difference in gameday attire was striking. "At Miami, women would dress up all the time to go to class... but at football games, it was T-shirts and shorts." says Kerr.

"You hear that saying," says Kerr, "‘Girls in pearls, guys in ties.’ But the ‘guys in ties’ in our data, they were not nearly as present." Schmeichel agreed, "There were men who were maybe wearing a polo shirt, but in comparison the women were much dressier." The researchers considered "dressy" outfits as involving any kind of dress, skirt, low-cut/spaghetti strap top, heeled shoes, or items of clothing that don’t have a "masculine" equivalent. "We heard a lot about cowboy boots," says Schmeichel.

As to why this is more common among women rather than men, a little bit of sports history can help explain. It turns out, the practice is actually more of a preservation of tradition than a creation of one, as Kerr and Schmeichel discovered. According to local newspaper articles from the 1890s cited in The Ghosts of Herty Field, women from neighboring girls’ schools (because UGA wasn’t integrated at the time) were present at what the book claims is the very first football game in the deep south in 1892. And by 1893, women were such a fixture that at away games, their absence was notable.

"This was somewhat of a disappointment to the men… Athens is far superior in this respect, as the Lucy Cobb and Home School girls have become almost as essential to a game as the referee and umpire." — The Red & Black, as quoted in The Ghosts of Herty Field

So, if there have always been women at UGA games, and up until the ‘60s, they were always — quite literally — dressed up, women in attendance at SEC games didn’t start dressing a certain way, they just never stopped.

andycapps

ABC saw Michigan/Penn State on the schedule and creamed their pants. Hopefully Michigan gets up big in the first quarter and it becomes a ratings disaster.
I think there's a very good chance of that happening. The rest of the day is pretty disappointing after the Florida Tennessee game.

Stanford game could be interesting.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I think there's a very good chance of that happening. The rest of the day is pretty disappointing after the Florida Tennessee game.

I still fully believe that Florida/Tennessee is the actual Turd of the Week.

Draconian

I think Arky/A&M will be the best SEC game of the day. It's a shame it kicks off at 9 on the east coast though.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Northwestern has been a thorn in our side for a while. I expect that we will beat them this week by two touchdowns, but it wouldn't surprise me if they win at the last second.

Draxal

Iowa Rivals beat guy predicted Iowa 31-27 victory over Rutgers

Rutgers beat guy predicted 35-13.

Shows you how negative both of our teams are after last week.

clav

Northwestern has been a thorn in our side for a while. I expect that we will beat them this week by two touchdowns, but it wouldn't surprise me if they win at the last second.

Northwestern fans don't forget: https://youtu.be/V2GR28uZrsg

I think that first conference meeting (aka welcoming Nebraska to B1G in 2011) is tempering your expectations: https://youtu.be/s1QM8d27n7g

I'm not seeing the upset factor here. Duke is bad, and Nebraska just took down an Oregon team last week.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Bye weeks always feel a little weird, but after our bye this weekend we also have a Thursday game (Kansas) next week so it will be an odd couple of weeks for us.

Bye weeks always feel a little weird, but after our bye this weekend we also have a Thursday game (Kansas) next week so it will be an odd couple of weeks for us.

Bye weeks are great for Texas Tech.

Only week in which they aren't the underdogs on their schedule.

BOOM! YEAH! TEXAS TECH INSULT LANDS!

Silkworm

This about sums up my feelings on the game. Its gonna suck. 4+ hours of pure shit.
Also thought this was funny.

http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/2016/9/23/13029104/rivalry-week-please-let-this-end

It might suck but as long as the Gators win, I don't care. ;-)

Come on Appleby. Just manage the game, let the Gator D throttle UT and let Pinero get his FGs. Gators win 9-0! ;-) Hopefully Del Rio will heal quickly and return to starting action sooner than later *fingers crossed*

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Bye weeks are great for Texas Tech.

Only week in which they aren't the underdogs on their schedule.

BOOM! YEAH! TEXAS TECH INSULT LANDS!

I know you're doing a bit but that's no excuse.

Implying someone's team is an underdog against Kansas should be an instant perma-ban.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom