• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2016 Week One: UCLA MEGATHREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Ohio state has moved to 5:1 odds to win the natty, only trailing bama at 4:1

And people said I was crazy for calling Ohio State under hyped

Also - I was a little happy for Texas, then all the Texas fans crawled out from where they have been hiding and I went back to wishing a meteor had hit that stadium.

ryseing

Lol he was automatically suspended for the first half, so Les just added a half against an FCS school

I'm eagerly awaiting the Paul Finebaum spin on the SEC's shit weekend.

Bama stomped and Auburn looked mostly respectable so I expect he will just focus on them.

Lol he was automatically suspended for the first half, so Les just added a half against an FCS school

I'm eagerly awaiting the Paul Finebaum spin on the SEC's shit weekend.

If Ole miss loses tonight, the SEC will have gone 6-6 in OOC matchups this week. 7-7 overall if you count the SEC v. SEC game. Finebaum and co can claim they had the toughest slate of games of any conference this week though.

jfkgoblue

If Ole miss loses tonight, the SEC will have gone 6-6 in OOC matchups this week. 7-7 overall if you count the SEC v. SEC game. Finebaum and co can claim they had the toughest slate of games of any conference this week though.
The fact that two SEC teams played each other, actually helped the SEC's record this week...

Yeah this Bleacher Report guy is spinning SO HARD.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Reverse argument is, SEC is the only conference with more than one win over a ranked opponent in week 1. Right now it's

Sec 3 (USC, UCLA, UNC)
AAC 1 (Oklahoma)
B1g 1 (LSU)
Big XII 1(ND)

Acc could get one, or sec could get its 4th today.

Cyan

Banned

Yeah Tennessee and Miss St had some tough matchups there.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
yeah you gotta look at how bad some of those wins were for the SEC. Arkansas, Florida and Tenn's wins are nothing to be proud about. Couple solid losses though (LSU, Auburn) that no one should be ashamed about.

But then some truly horrid losses like Kentucky and Miss State.

South Carolina and Vandy's pillow fight didn't do any favors

I mean, the SEC West (the vaunted division) was two plays from being 1-5 so far (possibly 1-6 after tonight. The East's frontrunner looked bad, though Georgia seemed solid.

The SEC comes out of this weekend (pending Ole Miss) with like, 4 out of 14 teams it can be proud of: Alabama, Georgia, and reaching a bit but LSU and Auburn (defenses good... offenses bad... but hung in with quality P5 opponents, particularly Auburn against #2 Clemson)

yeah you gotta look at how bad some of those wins were for the SEC. Arkansas, Florida and Tenn's wins are nothing to be proud about. Couple solid losses though (LSU, Auburn) that no one should be ashamed about.

But then some truly horrid losses like Kentucky and Miss State.

South Carolina and Vandy's pillow fight didn't do any favors

I mean, the SEC West (the vaunted division) was two plays from being 1-5 so far (possibly 1-6 after tonight. The East's frontrunner looked bad, though Georgia seemed solid.

The SEC comes out of this weekend (pending Ole Miss) with like, 4 out of 14 teams it can be proud of: Alabama, Georgia, and reaching a bit but LSU and Auburn (defenses good... offenses bad... but hung in with quality P5 opponents, particularly Auburn against #2 Clemson)

Alabama is stupid good and in my mind the far and away #1 team in the country after watching them treat USC like a mid major. However, this idea that the SEC is top to bottom the toughest conference, I'm not buying that. I don't think any conference or division is far and away better than the rest. Alabama anchors the SEC west, and Georgia somewhat anchors the east (if they don't slip up) but Alabama is still miles ahead of Georgia.

Lonestar

Agreeing that sec is not currently a top to bottom good league.

Not wanting to talk up aggie, but winning as an underdog over a ranked team is better than a lot of teams did week 1. UCLA didn't come off as a dumpster fire

Cyan

Banned
Alabama is stupid good and in my mind the far and away #1 team in the country after watching them treat USC like a mid major. However, this idea that the SEC is top to bottom the toughest conference, I'm not buying that. I don't think any conference or division is far and away better than the rest. Alabama anchors the SEC west, and Georgia somewhat anchors the east (if they don't slip up) but Alabama is still miles ahead of Georgia.

Basically this. Bama is looking like a world-beater again, but looks like a down year for the SEC overall. Not that it's looking any better for the Pac. UCLA, smh.

Lonestar

Basically this. Bama is looking like a world-beater again, but looks like a down year for the SEC overall. Not that it's looking any better for the Pac. UCLA, smh.

Not sure any conferences looked good. I guess B1G might be slightly ahead, based on 2 teams killing cream puffs and Wincy beating LSU. MSUn had a hard time with furman, Rutgers got creamed, and Northwestern lost to the MAC.

If FSU beats Ole Miss, I might say the ACC is slightly ahead.

jfkgoblue

Well, the show is way more humble about it than I thought, even going so far as to say that the SEC is NOT the best conference in CFB. Wow

I'd say the Big Ten had the best weekend(northwestern and Rutgers sucked though), but it's just one weekend.

I don't think the SEC has gotten worse per se, but the Big Ten and ACC have just gotten much better in recent years.

But it is very refreshing not seeing constant shitting on Big Ten these past 2 years though.

Oh and Paul is back to hyping up the past for the SEC.

Lonestar

Tammy on
I think she wants Gus gone, hard to tell, as it's been just a stream of ChewyTobacky Twang.

Shockingly, SEC Network pumping up SEC.

CrnJiEsWIAABkK0.jpg

Guess this is the sign for Smoke Draws :lol

jfkgoblue

SEC fans are missing the point on why people are shitting on the conference, it's not that we all think they are shit, it's the arrogance those fans have shown in the past... From "SEC! SEC! SEC!" chants to calling the SEC CG the "real" national championship, when in reality they had Florida(then Alabama) dominate, LSU with the winning of the ultimate clusterfuck season, and Auburn having a fluke run.

It's just been seeing Georgia (who, in my experience are the worst about this), Tennessee, South Carolina, etc fans acting like what Bama does somehow makes them better because they are in the same conference as them. Alabama deserves the credit, not the fucking SEC, and I will never understand the Bama fans that play into the conference pride.

Lonestar

SEC fans are missing the point on why people are shitting on the conference, it's not that we all think they are shit, it's the arrogance those fans have shown in the past... From "SEC! SEC! SEC!" chants to calling the SEC CG the "real" national championship, when in reality they had Florida(then Alabama) dominate, LSU with the winning of the ultimate clusterfuck season, and Auburn having a fluke run.

It's just been seeing Georgia (who, in my experience are the worst about this), Tennessee, South Carolina, etc fans acting like what Bama does somehow makes them better because they are in the same conference as them. Alabama deserves the credit, not the fucking SEC, and I will never understand the Bama fans that play into the conference pride.

I've been here this whole time, and can only speak for myself and I believe for the handful of Bama fans here that I know of. We more or less agree. Alabama has been carrying the league for a few years, and almost anytime one of us start up the SECSECSEC, its with /s mode turned on. I think the last time the SECSECSEC and the SEC CG being Mecca, had any real belief behind it, was 2008 or 2009. Otherwise we wouldn't have spent so much effort trying to get Auburn and Ole Miss merc'd by the NCAA (hell, there was a point where Auburn was trying to get Alabama merc'd, RIP Tom from T-Town's Mensware)

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Calling schools different names than what they normally go by gives them power.

It'll be a cold day in Florida before I call the Gators "Gata" no matter how bad Corrine Brown wants me to.

They aren't relevant enough to have a snarky Nick name. I barely know who the Gators are. I don't even know if we play them this year. Do they even have a football team anymore?

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!

It'll be a cold day in Florida before I call the Gators "Gata" no matter how bad Corrine Brown wants me to.

They aren't relevant enough to have a snarky Nick name. I barely know who the Gators are. I don't even know if we play them this year. Do they even have a football team anymore?
That's why you call them the University of Mississippi.

Lunar15

I thought calling Gators "Gata" was a derogatory term?

Also, #TeamMeteor

Lonestar

I'll assume it's the theme from Patton you're referring to.

And yes, all the time. Probably my favorite of theirs.

trying to remember if I've seen Patton, or have seen in 20+ years. So Police Academy used that theme? Am I remembering that wrong?

Clemson DC used Google to stop Auburn’s Wing-T offense

Clemson defensive coordinator Brent Venables took the same approach to stopping Auburn’s Wing-T offensive scheme that most other people do when trying to figure something out: he Googled it.

“I literally Googled, ‘How to stop the wing-T,’” Venables admitted to ESPN afterward.

Venables admitted that he hadn’t the slightest clue on how to defend against an offense that primarily stops being used beyond the high school level. So, one day before Saturday’s game, Venables cranked up the search engine.

:jnc

The conference doing well actually does play back into the members doing well. It's all about that money, although I think the fans who are doing it aren't smart enough to make that connection.

Stop calling them Ole Miss.

butwhy.gif

jfkgoblue

The conference doing well actually does play back into the members doing well. It's all about that money, although I think the fans who are doing it aren't smart enough to make that connection.

butwhy.gif
That is true to a limited extent, but even when the B10 was getting shit on, the conference was making more money than any one else, but the targeting and highlighting of the SEC's woes is a direct result of the conference chest thumping.

Hope Ole Miss wrecks shop tonight.

Lol local news just ran a five minute piece about just how bad LSU's offense has been under Les Miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom