• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LosDaddie

Banned
I loved wearing my FSU ring, until I lost it about 1yr after graduating while moving down to Orlando. :( fuck....that's almost 10yrs ago. I need to just order a new one. Time flies.

By that measure, Mike Hart, Matt Leinart, Dwayne Jarrett, Chad Henne, Ted Ginn Jr., (insert college star that did next to nothing in the league here) should have been studs.

Mike Williams (USC) is the perfect indication for the difference between the college and pro game. Williams just absolutely overwhelmed every opponent with his size and vertical rather than skills like route running and change of direction.

Anyways, as much as I love to "lol B1G," the draft number is more an indication of the juniors and seniors one year. Also, even Draxal doesn't understand why half these kids were drafted.

If he doesnt then the Bills fan should be worred. Tavaris Jackson and Kevin Kolb competing with this him. Also going on college performance is dumb lots of great college football players went on to amount to nothing in the pros

I just think NFL teams/coaches place too much important on physical specs and NFL Combine/Pro Day work outs. It leads to players like EJ going higher in the draft than they should. I firmly believe EJ Manuel will be a bust if he has to start this season. I mean....unless he played last year ultra conservative to save his body for the NFL.

I'm sad Marvin Bracy is leaving FSU to go pro in track. He's the only notable alum from my HS in like 15-20 years to play for the team.. I had really high hopes. Dude is so damn fast. :(.

eh, I'm not bummed about Bracy. It would've been nice to has his speed on special teams, but he didn't seem to want to be on the football team.

Meier

Has Menelaus ever participated in CFB-GAF? He be one crazy Aggy.

He's a really funny guy. He plays FIFA with the Xbox club all the time so we interact a lot on there... he's been banned from GAF a SHITLOAD over the past year or two, just got back from a 2-monther. :lol

His XBL name is Ragnar Lodbrok.. he recruited a few other Aggies to the team and one of them joined GAF actually. We have a bit of banter since my limited UT affiliation.

He's a really funny guy. He plays FIFA with the Xbox club all the time so we interact a lot on there... he's been banned from GAF a SHITLOAD over the past year or two, just got back from a 2-monther. :lol

His XBL name is Ragnar Lodbrok.. he recruited a few other Aggies to the team and one of them joined GAF actually. We have a bit of banter since my limited UT affiliation.

Whats this fifa you speak of? Is this the sport soccer I keep hearing about?

Menelaus is a funny dude, and he gets banned regularly for screwing around in OT. As Meier said, we play FIFA with him a fair bit - he's a nice guy. He's posted a few times in CFB GAF.

Meier

Menelaus is a funny dude, and he gets banned regularly for screwing around in OT. As Meier said, we play FIFA with him a fair bit - he's a nice guy. He's posted a few times in CFB GAF.

I don't understand how you don't have a title after all this time.

Cyan, work your magic with those who can bestow titles. Cornballer's work as the official TV thread info curator should be recognized!

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I dunno. I feel like a conference championship should be the bare minimum to qualify for a ring. Maybe get one for winning some big-time bowl games.
I agree completely. But then you have to compare: at least winning your division and getting rings claiming a divisional championship versus: (1) not winning your conference, (2) not winning your division, and (3) claiming a "championship" because you won 12 games.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I don't understand how you don't have a title after all this time.

Cyan, work your magic with those who can bestow titles. Cornballer's work as the official TV thread info curator should be recognized!

A tag? He needs a freakin' medal for making it all year posting updates on The Following.

cdyhybrid

I agree completely. But then you have to compare: at least winning your division and getting rings claiming a divisional championship versus: (1) not winning your conference, (2) not winning your division, and (3) claiming a "championship" because you won 12 games.

True. Didn't Maurice Clarett U's rings say they were division champs though? Or were they just claiming it Aggie-style?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
A tag? He needs a freakin' medal for making it all year posting updates on The Following.

I don't know if a person who won't even bother to write 1 post, in the topic for the best show on Regular Television, Person of Interest.

gif testing

zox1the.gif

True. Didn't Maurice Clarett U's rings say they were division champs though? Or were they just claiming it Aggie-style?

They didnt claim a championship of anything specific. They just say champions, we were the champions of having a 0 in the loss column I guess. Urban decided on doing it as a way to honor the players for going 12-0 and not getting to go to any kind of post season stuff.

Also champions of an AD being too arrogant to the NCAA.

Not like it matters, theyll all be in tattoo parlors or pawn shops soon enough.

andycapps

EXCELLENT!

Andy - that will be my tag when Cyan gets tagging powers.

He can probably put in a word with the big men if you really want it? At least that's how I think these things go. A big Google chat all day long talking about if Chitown's tag needs to be adjusted, etc.

jakncoke

Banned
I loved wearing my FSU ring, until I lost it about 1yr after graduating while moving down to Orlando. :( fuck....that's almost 10yrs ago. I need to just order a new one. Time flies.

I just think NFL teams/coaches place too much important on physical specs and NFL Combine/Pro Day work outs. It leads to players like EJ going higher in the draft than they should. I firmly believe EJ Manuel will be a bust if he has to start this season. I mean....unless he played last year ultra conservative to save his body for the NFL.

eh, I'm not bummed about Bracy. It would've been nice to has his speed on special teams, but he didn't seem to want to be on the football team.

If he cant get it done with Buffalo weapons he was never meant to be. Spiller, Johnson, Woods and Rogers is a pretty good core of talent on the offensive side of the ball. That imo is enough to get decent numbers, also he really should have a semi cvonservative offense, stupid to be like Bruce Arians and have your rookie qb pass for the 12th most attempts ever

cdyhybrid

If he cant get it done with Buffalo weapons he was never meant to be. Spiller, Johnson, Woods and Rogers is a pretty good core of talent on the offensive side of the ball. That imo is enough to get decent numbers, also he really should have a semi cvonservative offense, stupid to be like Bruce Arians and have your rookie qb pass for the 12th most attempts ever

While I like bashing on Arians' offense, I dunno if he would've gone that far with any rookie besides Luck. Luck was by far the most NFL ready rookie we've seen in years.

Jhriad

Super excited about the new East/West divisions in the Big 10. That could not have worked out better for the Huskers.

As much as I think it'll help us maintain a good W-L record in the long term, like the Big 12 North, I wonder what effect it will have on recruiting. We're no longer playing in Texas and now we won't be playing in a lot of the bigger recruiting states within the conference as frequently. Plus it'll probably affect when our games played during the day (determining the potential # of eyeballs on the game) and what markets they're shown in.

had an error in there on frames, uploading a larger one
YfCayrm.gif

Neat, I see my avatar in there. Now what exactly is that for?

Jhriad

Ever going back to Planetside?

I'd like to. Just depends on work. Past four months have pretty much had me slammed constantly so I haven't had enough time to dedicate to PS. Starting to quiet down a bit now so I've popped in a bit but not as much or for as long as I would like.

Lonestar

I'd like to. Just depends on work. Past four months have pretty much had me slammed constantly so I haven't had enough time to dedicate to PS.

VS GAF was no more. Only a handful remain, and most of us moved to AT.

Jhriad

VS GAF was no more. Only a handful remain, and most of us moved to AT.

Sucks to hear about VS GAF. I think I just bit off too much with work and trying to run a real outfit without much officer support. Handled it okay for a while there but once I started getting busy I wasn't able to lead platoons and recruit much and the folks I hoped would pick up the slack kinda fell by the wayside. What's AT? EDIT: Feel free to PM me your reply. Don't want to go too far off topic. :) Second Edit: Ah, do you mean Azure Twilight?

Lonestar

Sucks to hear about VS GAF. I think I just bit off too much with work and trying to run a real outfit without much officer support. Handled it okay for a while there but once I started getting busy I wasn't able to lead platoons and recruit much and the folks I hoped would pick up the slack kinda fell by the wayside. What's AT? EDIT: Feel free to PM me your reply. Don't want to go too far off topic. :) Second Edit: Ah, do you mean Azure Twilight?

yeah, Azure.

Good because there's alot of people on all the time, with people leading the squads/platoons. Downside, sometimes the leading isn't great.

I know people still cry about not having continent lock (yet), but the game is constantly a blast to me.

Lonestar

Making up with off topic-ing:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/jeremy-fowler/22172762/big-tens-jim-delany-talks-ed-obannon-vs-ncaa-johnny-manziel

Jimbo Delany on Ed OBannon and his lawsuit, JFF, and Playoffs!

“There should be no compromise on it,”

“baseless theories supported only by inaccurate speculation aimed at destroying amateurism in college athletics.”

“We don't want to go Division III; we want to go Division I,”

“If Johnny Manziel was playing arena football tomorrow, what is his uniform worth?”

read the article to fill in the blanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom