• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhriad

yeah, shit will go down if it happens

Given prior support for student-athletes getting paid in some fashion in the state I wonder what the official stance is for University of Nebraska.

Looks a lot better than the stadium now. Always thought Kyle Field looked bare (read: ugly) compared to other stadiums. It's been getting better with some of the renovations over the past few years though.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Given prior support for student-athletes getting paid in some fashion in the state I wonder what the official stance is for University of Nebraska.

Looks a lot better than the stadium now. Always thought Kyle Field looked bare (read: ugly) compared to other stadiums. It's been getting better with some of the renovations over the past few years though.

being in the B1G, it might get answered for them. Delany's talked about moving the B1G to Division III and no scholarships, to avoid the idea of "paying players"

had an error in there on frames, uploading a larger one

YfCayrm.gif

Amazzzzzing

FyreWulff

being in the B1G, it might get answered for them. Delany's talked about moving the B1G to Division III and no scholarships, to avoid the idea of "paying players"

lol, Nebraska would leave immediately. I'd imagine they'd be perfectly fine paying players considering how much money the citizens of the state feed the team.

Lonestar

Someplace else brought this up, and I remembered we laughed about it. That player with the Auburn tattoo who ended up at Alabama (I posted his corrected tattoo earlier today)

He had gotten his cousin's name misspelled (it ends in "ious" and he had "ius"), but also got it fixed:

Tattoo's: What a great idea they are.

Hash tags just got banned by NCAA at being on football fields. Sorry Miss State, you can't put #HAILSTATE on your field now.

Apparently this rule applies only to things on the field of play. Out of bounds, sidelines, etc. do not count and are fine. Although I don't know if cowbell has them of the actual play field currently.

jagowar

More pictures and video here... http://kylefield.com/

That always was the point with Kyle Field, it was always about getting as many seats as possible for the money they had to use so things like the exterior took a backseat. Now that they are effectively tearing down the entire thing a rebuilding (and have the budget) all that stuff is being put back in. I like that they are finally starting to make the buildings look similar. The football stadium is going to have a similar look to the Olsen Field which was just finished 2 yrs ago.

All that said there are already rumors about extra psl's and fees being added.... and our prices were already higher than most to make up for the student section.

Jhriad

That always was the point with Kyle Field, it was always about getting as many seats as possible for the money they had to use so things like the exterior took a backseat.

The exterior wasn't the only part of the problem. The open endzone just made the whole place look unfinished, even when they tried to slap stuff in there, and that bare bones look was pretty pervasive throughout the stadium. It was a functional stadium that I had plenty of good times at but it wasn't exactly anything worth looking at from any direction. For the size and amount of money the program had back when I went to my first game, I was a little taken aback at the stadium. Of course, the fan support wasn't exactly anything worth mentioning back then either. I can remember going to a TAMU v Mizzou game where the stadium wasn't even half full and it just emptied out further at halftime when it didn't look good for the Aggies.

Lonestar

Apparently this rule applies only to things on the field of play. Out of bounds, sidelines, etc. do not count and are fine. Although I don't know if cowbell has them of the actual play field currently.

They had it painted on the endzones.

That always was the point with Kyle Field, it was always about getting as many seats as possible for the money they had to use so things like the exterior took a backseat. Now that they are effectively tearing down the entire thing a rebuilding (and have the budget) all that stuff is being put back in. I like that they are finally starting to make the buildings look similar. The football stadium is going to have a similar look to the Olsen Field which was just finished 2 yrs ago.

All that said there are already rumors about extra psl's and fees being added.... and our prices were already higher than most to make up for the student section.

The seats at kyle have to be some of the coziest in the country. If you're obese there's no way you'll fit in without part of your ass hanging over into your neighbors seat. Even for someone just a few pounds overweight its a struggle. That may have been okay in Seattle, but it's necessary to have bigger seats in the SEC.

Lonestar

The seats at kyle have to be some of the coziest in the country. If you're obese there's no way you'll fit in without part of your ass hanging over into your neighbors seat. Even for someone just a few pounds overweight its a struggle. That may have been okay in Seattle, but it's necessary to have bigger seats in the SEC.

The other UT is notorious for having the worlds first 6 inch wide seats, presented by Subway. Eat Fresh, Viles!

Draxal

So I think Eddie Jordan has done a better job of recruiting than Kyle Flood which really sucks due to how different the situations are for both of the teams.

jagowar

Again goes to my point above of wanting to maximize every bit of space they had for seating.... one of the many things they are fixing with the redo is the seat width's. Will be curious how much of the stadium will be individual seats vs bench.

On a completely unrelated note.... today we finally get details of the SEC Network.

Beaver Stadium made the ultimate sacrifice of aesthetics for seating capacity.

It went from this:

1982-Beaver-Stadium.jpg

To this:

beaver%20stadium_99.jpg

To this hideous monstrosity:

beaver_stadium_insidelqu5u.jpg

beaver04.jpg

Lonestar

Again goes to my point above of wanting to maximize every bit of space they had for seating.... one of the many things they are fixing with the redo is the seat width's. Will be curious how much of the stadium will be individual seats vs bench.

On a completely unrelated note.... today we finally get details of the SEC Network.

wonder if they're close to the guestwork CBS put out a couple weeks ago (think I had a post on them)

Expect the rich to get insanely richer.

Lonestar

Some reports out there that Jarvis Jones never had this neck issue (stenosis). Wouldn't it be funny that USC screwed up and dropped a player for no reason at all.

I'm sure Florida fans find it high-larious.

jjasper

I haven't really been following this but is this going to be an official SEC channel through ESPN or is just going to be an expansion of coverage through current partners?

I'm glad BTN is run by Fox and not ESPN.

If it were ESPN, the mobile apps would probably be every bit as shitty as WatchESPN.

BTN's apps are pretty damn great.

Subitai

Speaking of Penn State, I discovered this nugget while reading up on Beaver Stadium. (I don't know if this was discussed back in November or not.)

2012 Team to Be Honored On Beaver Stadium Facade

So yeah, while it was kinda dumb that we gave our players rings this year, this was waaaaaaaaay dumber.
I'm really sorry you had some bad experiences w/ the programs sh*tty fans. I really am, but the way you post about Penn State, it sounds like everyone and everything associated with it is completely and genuinely unredeemable. I'm not sure if you mean to come off that way.

Moreover, in this case I think this is clouding your judgement.

The players who stayed saved the program from being in the gutter for a decade or more when they could have left Penn State without penalty. In hindsight, given how relatively bad the transfer experience was for players who did leave, it was in their best interest to stay, but absolutely no one was saying that a year ago. Also, from O'Brian's perspective, these kids not only saved his career, but actually boosted it when it was in their justified power to torpedo it. If it were me, I'd certainly want to do something beyond the team banquet to show my appreciation.

I'm really sorry you had some bad experiences w/ the programs sh*tty fans. I really am, but the way you post about Penn State, it sounds like everyone and everything associated with it is completely and genuinely unredeemable. I'm not sure if you mean to come off that way.

Moreover, in this case I think this is clouding your judgement.

The players who stayed saved the program from being in the gutter for a decade or more when they could have left Penn State without penalty. In hindsight, given how relatively bad the transfer experience was for players who did leave, it was in their best interest to stay, but absolutely no one was saying that a year ago. Also, from O'Brian's perspective, these kids not only saved his career, but actually boosted it when it was in their justified power to torpedo it. If it were me, I'd certainly want to do something beyond the team banquet to show my appreciation.

Grow a pair, dude.

Everyone gives each other shit. That's how college sports works.

Talon

The whole point of the outrage was that Penn State's football program and Joe Pa had become so deified that the abuse of innocents of decades was swept under the rug. Football was bigger than Penn State and the people of Penn State.

You don't see how holding a banquet again celebrating the football program receives derision?

Lonestar

wee, supposed big event, get Dari Noka as the host. PEENSsc DOOMED

Bringing out almost every coach in the SEC. Now's your time to strike, Delany. NOWS YOUR TIME.

Lonestar

SEC Network- With ESPN through 2034
1,000 live events, 450 on tv, 550 online
45 Football games anually, 3 SEC games each week
100 mens, 100 womens, 75 baseball
Championship coverage
Future SEC Storied, documentaries

Cecil Hurt ‏@CecilHurt 51s
First blowout of football season: Total football games, SEC Network 45, Longhorn Network 2.

SEC Network will launch August 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom