• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
So Te'o is on the Chargers, where hopes of a championship will be as realistic as Lennay. Perfect.

Well. Bonus is you can't beat an imaginary gf. Unlike their last Samoan LB.

Ball is a good pickup for Denver.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
k-bigpic.gif

AntoneM

The streak for ASU is over. Since 1960 at least one ASU player has been drafted every year. that ended in this draft. I guess the silver lining is that the NFL doesn't think we've lost much talent.

AntoneM

He's a leader on the field, has good head on him. He's a great athlete, but, not a guy who has freakish talent. He's smart and strong enough that he could play his way into a starting role, but he's not a starter in the NFL right now.

UCF continued it's streak of drafted players dating back to 2006. They went in later rounds, but whatever. 2 picks in the draft then 5 others picked up in free agency so far. I wouldn't be shocked to hear of one more getting picked up.
Not bad but I think 2014 and 2015 will be really interesting and could see some players go much higher in the draft depending on their seasons in 2014 and 2015.

andycapps

UGA ended up with 8 getting drafted. Notably undrafted was Kwame Geathers who could have come back for his redshirt senior season, but thought he would be drafted. He got picked up as a free agent, of course, but not much of a guarantee with that. I know Ellerbe was picked up as a free agent with a signing bonus of like $1000 and is now a starting LB for the Ravens. So it can happen, just seems rare.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
UGA ended up with 8 getting drafted. Notably undrafted was Kwame Geathers who could have come back for his redshirt senior season, but thought he would be drafted. He got picked up as a free agent, of course, but not much of a guarantee with that. I know Ellerbe was picked up as a free agent with a signing bonus of like $1000 and is now a starting LB for the Ravens. So it can happen, just seems rare.

Wasn't he your backup NT? Seems weird for him to leave with Jenkins gone. He had a year to show off what he could do.

andycapps

Wasn't he your backup NT? Seems weird for him to leave with Jenkins gone. He had a year to show off what he could do.

They split time fairly equally, but Jenkins was seen as the starter. Jenkins ended up on the Saints, which sucks, but I hope he does well in every game except for when they play the Falcons twice a year. Geathers comes from a family of NFL players, so I think there was some worry about him only having so many snaps in his body so he wanted to get in there ASAP. He could have been dominant this year as a senior, but I hope he makes it through roster cuts.

Geathers got picked up as a FA by the Chargers, who need a big tackle in their 3-4 D.. But the knock against him in the past was in playing too high, but he's huge and has all the physical tools. Should have come back for another year.

LosDaddie

Banned
The FSU media (esp Warchant) was all too happy to spam out press releases of 11 players being drafted, EVEN MORE THAN ALABAMA. :lol Tomahawknation was more reserved, and mentioned how FSU had 5 players go in the first 42 picks.

It helps in recruiting, sure, but we still have an egomaniac for a HC, and still lose to teams like NCSU, and struggle to beat a 6-6 GT team in the ACC CG. So who the fuck cares. I still see FSU going 8-4 next season...maybe 9-3 or possibly 7-5. I will have to study the schedule closer to Sept.

So was EJ Manuel even good last year? I can't remember him being anything special.

Bills drafted on phyiscal specs alone, and they made a huge mistake taking EJ in the first round. Now, he'll basically have to start Day 1, and that's going to be a disaster. He's soft mentally, and needs a lot of coaching...and the right kind of coaching. EJ needs to be coddled because he internalizes hard coaching to the point where he shuts down.

EJ put up 'good' numbers last season only because FSU is in the shitty ACC. When he finally faced a solid defense (UF), he had a meltdown and played nothing like a 5th year Sr.

He represented FSU well, but few FSU fans are sorry to see him gone.

Draxal

The FSU media (esp Warchant) was all too happy to spam out press releases of 11 players being drafted, EVEN MORE THAN ALABAMA. :lol Tomahawknation was more reserved, and mentioned how FSU had 5 players go in the first 42 picks.

It helps in recruiting, sure, but we still have an egomaniac for a HC, and still lose to teams like NCSU, and struggle to beat a 6-6 GT team in the ACC CG. So who the fuck cares. I still see FSU going 8-4 next season...maybe 9-3 or possibly 7-5. I will have to study the schedule closer to Sept.

Well, Rutgers had more players then Michigan/The Maurice Clarett University Fighting Maurice Claretts/ and Nebraska combined, and we still would have lost to all three of those teams last year.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Bill King took a more critical angle this morning, and wondered if the fact that FSU had 11 players drafted wasn't a--I don't want to use the word indictment, but maybe criticism (?) of the job Jimbo has done as coach. With 11 players going in the first round getting drafted, Bill wondered if FSU has underachieved over the past two years, even taking into account the ACC win last year.

Edited because FSU did not have 11 players drafted in the first round.

andycapps

Bill King took a more critical angle this morning, and wondered if the fact that FSU had 11 players drafted wasn't a--I don't want to use the word indictment, but maybe criticism (?) of the job Jimbo has done as coach. With 11 players going in the first round, Bill wondered if FSU has underachieved over the past two years, even taking into account the ACC win last year.

No doubt that FSU and Miami always pull in top players and put tons of those guys in the pros every year. But with that talent, they should be winning championships. Put it this way, how dominant would a better coach than Jimbo be with the players that he has year in and year out?

Still, won the ACC last year, and they should be good this year.

Tamanon

Banned
Yeah, I mean ACC competition is pretty weak compared to many conferences, and FSU supposedly has immense talent, but they just can't even seem to sniff a championship.

LosDaddie

Banned
Well, Rutgers had more players then Michigan/The Maurice Clarett University Fighting Maurice Claretts/ and Nebraska combined, and we still would have lost to all three of those teams last year.

The NFL draft is a bit nonsensical, IMO. NFL teams place far too much importance on physical traits, and less on college performance. I believe it's the reason why there are so many busts in the NFL.

Bill King took a more critical angle this morning, and wondered if the fact that FSU had 11 players drafted wasn't a--I don't want to use the word indictment, but maybe criticism (?) of the job Jimbo has done as coach. With 11 players going in the first round, Bill wondered if FSU has underachieved over the past two years, even taking into account the ACC win last year.

OVerall, you mean. And yeah, King is somewhat right. FSU went 12-2, were ACC Champs, and had a BCS bowl win last season. That's pretty fucking good from an outside perspective, but if you watched all of FSU's games, you'd know they looked very average in a lot of those games.

FSU is in a weird spot right now. Jimbo has brought the program back to, uh, competitive status, and his record is solid (31 wins in 3yrs), but many feel he has reached his ceiling. But how do you tell any potential new coach that 31 wins in 3yrs, and/or a 12-2 record isn't good enough? :lol

Talon

The NFL draft is a bit nonsensical, IMO. NFL teams place far too much importance on physical traits, and less on college performance. I believe it's the reason why there are so many busts in the NFL.
By that measure, Mike Hart, Matt Leinart, Dwayne Jarrett, Chad Henne, Ted Ginn Jr., (insert college star that did next to nothing in the league here) should have been studs.

Mike Williams (USC) is the perfect indication for the difference between the college and pro game. Williams just absolutely overwhelmed every opponent with his size and vertical rather than skills like route running and change of direction.

Anyways, as much as I love to "lol B1G," the draft number is more an indication of the juniors and seniors one year. Also, even Draxal doesn't understand why half these kids were drafted.

Draxal

By that measure, Mike Hart, Matt Leinart, Dwayne Jarrett, Chad Henne, Ted Ginn Jr., (insert college star that did next to nothing in the league here) should have been studs.

Mike Williams (USC) is the perfect indication for the difference between the college and pro game. Williams just absolutely overwhelmed every opponent with his size and vertical rather than skills like route running and change of direction.

Anyways, as much as I love to "lol B1G," the draft number is more an indication of the juniors and seniors one year. Also, even Draxal doesn't understand why half these kids were drafted.

That's true, ask any Rutgers fan if 1 out of these 2 would have been drafted (Mark Harrison and Marcus Cooper); everyone would have selected Mark Harrison.

Ohio State plays 3 night games this year. vs Wisconsin, vs Penn St, and At Northwestern

Wasn't it just a few years ago Michigan played their first ever home night game? What is it with the B1G and their insistent avoidance of utilizing artificial lighting? They are adopting stadium lit games at a slower pace than the speed of B1G football.

Wasn't it just a few years ago Michigan played their first ever home night game? What is it with the B1G and their insistent avoidance of utilizing artificial lighting? They are adopting stadium lit games at a slower pace than the speed of B1G football.

Their first night game was last year. We have only had 12 night games in our stadiums history. Problem was Big wasnt allowed to play night games in November until this upcoming season and the old stadiums. Ohio Stadium cant support lights on its own so we have to rent lights everytime we want to use them, Michigan also had to. Noon games are kind of the traditionally big 10 slot though too.

Urban has been pushing hard for more night games so hopefully we start to see more.

Really. Number 2? 3 was so much better! At least 1 or 4 didn't win.

2 would be great, though, if the football was horizontal. Looks awkwardly tall as is.

Talon

Ohio State plays 3 night games this year. vs Wisconsin, vs Penn St, and At Northwestern
Oh, shit, I should go to the game at Northwestern. To watch us get bum fucked again.

I have a good track record. Every Ohio State at Northwestern game that I've seen has led to Ohio State losing in the National Championship game ('07 Football, '08 Basketball).

Oh, shit, I should go to the game at Northwestern. To watch us get bum fucked again.

I have a good track record. Every Ohio State at Northwestern game that I've seen has led to Ohio State losing in the National Championship game ('07 Football, '08 Basketball).

It NW homecoming game too! Should help the purple spot look a little bigger amongst the red.

jakncoke

Banned

OVerall, you mean. And yeah, King is somewhat right. FSU went 12-2, were ACC Champs, and had a BCS bowl win last season. That's pretty fucking good from an outside perspective, but if you watched all of FSU's games, you'd know they looked very average in a lot of those games.

FSU is in a weird spot right now. Jimbo has brought the program back to, uh, competitive status, and his record is solid (31 wins in 3yrs), but many feel he has reached his ceiling. But how do you tell any potential new coach that 31 wins in 3yrs, and/or a 12-2 record isn't good enough? :lol

Bills drafted on phyiscal specs alone, and they made a huge mistake taking EJ in the first round. Now, he'll basically have to start Day 1, and that's going to be a disaster. He's soft mentally, and needs a lot of coaching...and the right kind of coaching. EJ needs to be coddled because he internalizes hard coaching to the point where he shuts down.

EJ put up 'good' numbers last season only because FSU is in the shitty ACC. When he finally faced a solid defense (UF), he had a meltdown and played nothing like a 5th year Sr.

If he doesnt then the Bills fan should be worred. Tavaris Jackson and Kevin Kolb competing with this him. Also going on college performance is dumb lots of great college football players went on to amount to nothing in the pros

ChiTownBuffalo

ChiTownBuffalo

Oh. Welp. I quit.

See you guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom