• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

andycapps

Their first night game was last year. We have only had 12 night games in our stadiums history. Problem was Big wasnt allowed to play night games in November until this upcoming season and the old stadiums. Ohio Stadium cant support lights on its own so we have to rent lights everytime we want to use them, Michigan also had to. Noon games are kind of the traditionally big 10 slot though too.

Urban has been pushing hard for more night games so hopefully we start to see more.

Ohio State can't afford stadium lights? They should spend the dough on some, night games are the best games. Nothing like some fully liquored up alums and students packing out the place and seeing some CFB under the lights.

Ohio State can't afford stadium lights? They should spend the dough on some, night games are the best games. Nothing like some fully liquored up alums and students packing out the place and seeing some CFB under the lights.

The stadium itself cant support lights on the one side due to how its built. So we hire some outside company to bring them in and I guess its a huge pain in the butt from what I have been told. Plus Tress was never a huge fan of night games, but thats all changing now.

I do agree though that night games are the best, our 2 largest crowds have came during night games.

andycapps

The stadium itself cant support lights on the one side due to how its built. So we hire some outside company to bring them in and I guess its a huge pain in the butt from what I have been told. Plus Tress was never a huge fan of night games, but thats all changing now.

Strange. I'm sure they can have an architect figure out how to install them in the stadium. Where there's a ton of money, there's a way.

ESPN dresses down the Rutgers basketball coach for making homophobic comments.

Yet, not a peep when its own anchor does the same.

Ah yes, keep on being that 'bastion' of journalism ESPN.

Was he permabanned?

Not permed. But, I admit I am now posting with 5 fouls in the fourth quarter from here on. (NBA)

Besides, Marshall had yet another superior recruiting class compared to all CUSA teams (last year's CUSA). Houston also had a good haul, but it doesn't matter much longer now, does it? Anyway, I have to survive on GAF long enough to see this come to fruition.

Draxal

Ayup; they were harping on that even more than the basketballs. And let's be real here, Biruta vs Rice would be like Mourning vs Van Gundy.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Not permed. But, I admit I am now posting with 5 fouls in the fourth quarter from here on. (NBA)

Besides, Marshall had yet another superior recruiting class compared to all CUSA teams (last year's CUSA). Houston also had a good haul, but it doesn't matter much longer now, does it? Anyway, I have to survive on GAF long enough to see this come to fruition.

Glad to hear that you're still alive and kicking.

ChiTown--what prompted the tag change? You've been on a spiral of tag-downgrades for a while now, but this last one is a bit... pointed?

Talon

Alright, let's not play the false equivalency game. There's a difference between using an epithet and then sharing your own (as misguided as they are, in my mind for comments in a public space) religious views.

Tamanon

Banned
Alright, let's not play the false equivalency game. There's a difference between using an epithet and then sharing your own (as misguided as they are, in my mind for comments in a public space) religious views.

Yeah, I think the Rutgers coach didn't mean any insult to gay people.

Branduil

icsBRWvONRY4o.jpg

This will never get old.

Garryk

I heard ol' Bielema talking on the radio about a possible Arkansas and Texas Tech 2014-15 Home & Home series. It's been awhile since we lost a game to the Big 12.

Could always promote NW's mens from club, they'll just need another woman's sport for Title 9.

I'm not sure how much resistance will be there on NW's part.

It still surprises me that Northwestern doesn't have a varsity men's lacrosse team yet.

Given the sport's connection to wealth and prestige, it seems perfect for an elite private school like Northwestern.

Aren't you a Rutgers guy? You should know there's no space. Oh wait, I forgot, Rutgers sucks at that too. ;)

Could always promote NW's mens from club, they'll just need another woman's sport for Title 9.

I'm not sure how much resistance will be there on NW's part.
jNW won't add men's lacrosse because of Title IX since there's no easy women's add. Also their club team is in no sense promotable (unlike Michigan's was.) If an existing school adds the sport (and I think that's more likely than Hopkins giving up independence,) my guess would be, in order, Michigan State or Illinois, with an outside shot at Wisconsin or Minnesota.

Johns Hopkins confirmed.

I hope they don't go that route. I hate that affiliate member bullshit.
Hopkins would be the only affiliate I'd be able to stomach, but this season is a perfect reason why Hopkins will remain the Notre Dame of lacrosse. Very weak season, but they're still on the tournament bubble based on name alone.

Literally any other school added as an affiliate would weaker than the Maryland/Rutgers round of expansion and would make the conference look desperate. It'd be better to just pay an existing member to add the sport.

It still surprises me that Northwestern doesn't have a varsity men's lacrosse team yet.

Given the sport's connection to wealth and prestige, it seems perfect for an elite private school like Northwestern.
There's more to it than that, there's Title IX and there's also the fact that jNW is the least athletically minded B1G member. With just 19 sports, it has fewer sports than Purdue (who doesn't seem to "compete" in anything beyond football and basketball) and Maryland (who just cut a ton of sports and jumped conferences to make budget.)

Draxal

I think Title 9 is the only reason, Northwestern would probably have the second strongest lacrosse team in the Big 10 after a couple of years.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
So, were any of you interviewed for this NeoGAF documentary? Seems like they failed to notice the most reasonable, sane portions of the website.

Hopkins would be the only affiliate I'd be able to stomach, but this season is a perfect reason why Hopkins will remain the Notre Dame of lacrosse. Very weak season, but they're still on the tournament bubble based on name alone.
Hrm... this story takes the opposite tack. They're saying Hopkins being on the bubble makes it more likely they jump in to the B1G as an affiliate for the automatic qualification to the tournament. One problem with that, of the five current or soon to be B1G lacrosse teams, three are locks for this year's tournament and you have to believe that Michigan isn't going to be a doormat for long. Hopkins can't count on the AQ just because it joins the B1G.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom