• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhriad

Speaking of Penn State, I discovered this nugget while reading up on Beaver Stadium. (I don't know if this was discussed back in November or not.)

2012 Team to Be Honored On Beaver Stadium Facade

So yeah, while it was kinda dumb that we gave our players rings this year, this was waaaaaaaaay dumber.

Yep, pretty dumb alright.

Coaches are there. Saban looks thrilled to not be on the recruiting trail. Thrilled.

LOL. Wouldn't have noticed it if you hadn't pointed it out. Also, that is one long ass time to wait to renegotiate the contract.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
LOL. Wouldn't have noticed it if you hadn't pointed it out. Also, that is one long ass time to wait to renegotiate the contract.

I have to figure, the yearly revenue scales up towards the end of the contract, or there's room to negotiate an increase at a later time. Or it's astronomical already, and dwarfs the speculated 25-30 mill per school.

SECN will televise games in afternoon (i.e., CBS window) although CBS will still have "first choice" of games.

Jon Solomon ‏@jonsol 4m
CBS no longer has window of exclusivity for SEC games. SEC Network games in early, mid-afternoon and evening window.

Pete Roussel ‏@coachingsearch 7m
Mike Slive: "We're a Saturday league. We've agreed to play only 2 Thursday games. That won't change."
- happy about this one

They are sticking with no info on subscriber cost, but ESPN says there's no cost directly at consumers, it's with the distributors. Which just means the cost of ESPN will go up for everyone. Thanks, America!

The SEC Network will be based in noted SEC stronghold Charlotte. - Crazy how the Network is based in a state that's outside the footprint :lol

Garryk

https://o.twimg.com/2/proxy.jpg?t=HBgpaHR0cHM6Ly90d2l0cGljLmNvbS9zaG93L2xhcmdlL2NubW5mOS5qcGcUsAQUrAIAFgASAA&s=95X8uJGDZrZruuTbpEe2np-mHZI5qF5xnjPCda3twOY[IMG]

Coaches are there. Saban looks thrilled to not be on the recruiting trail. Thrilled.

Can always count on Coach BOOM to have the craziest suit on.[/QUOTE]

Saban should be happy. Tenner hired a coach shorter than him.

Also, :jnc at Butch's Wiki:

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butch_Jones[/url]

"Died: He is really old"

jagowar

- happy about this one

They are sticking with no info on subscriber cost, but ESPN says there's no cost directly at consumers, it's with the distributors. Which just means the cost of ESPN will go up for everyone. Thanks, America!

I kind of hate the noon Saturday kickoffs... I would prefer any night game (even thurday) to that slot.

I also was hoping to see some financial details of this but with the amount of content that will be on there you have to think it will be the biggest. Will be very interested to see how the negotiations go if they really can make it ubiquitous as espn(in market)/espnU(out of market). If they really make it national it would be a pretty big deal.

Lonestar

Sounds like there are 3 channels games will be on. ESPN, ESPNU, and SECN. I'd have to assume that any load on "ESPN" is actually divided up between ESPN and ESPN2.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/5/2/4293400/sec-network-tv-espn-announcement-details

Same article, but they've added more, especially in questions that happened after the Presser.

Will the SEC Network air high school football games?
No.

Did the LHN have High School games? Probably impossible to go through all the various rights to air HS games from 11 different states.

Will the SEC Network be able to re-air games shown on other ESPN networks? CBS?
Yes.

Nice to see that the SECN digital service/app will also show the CBS games (WatchESPN doesn't). Seems like there will be it's own "App", that's also available on XBox (like WatchESPN is now)

Will the conference staff be on air or have any regular shows?
No.

Seems like a dig at Cooking with Mack.

Will the SEC Network air bowl games? SEC Conference Championships?
There are no current plans to air bowl games on the Network. The Network will televise the SEC Championships for all sports other than football.

Bowl games and the SECCG (football) won't be on the SECN. They'll be on ESPN, CBS, etc.

impirius

Right now, I see all my favorite team's games online at the [SEC school athletics] site. Will I still be able to see all those games?
The Network is for media rights to all sports across our 14 member institutions. Any games produced by the schools will have an outlet, either the SEC Network or its digital extensions, where fans can watch.
I follow baseball and other sports via a CBS "Gamecocks All-Access" app. Very curious to see what will happen to that.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Mack Brown has a cooking show?

I think Mack Brown has several shows that air on the LHN, and they all involve him doing a variety of "homemaker" activities: cooking, sewing, crying because his husband is leaving him for someone younger and prettier. Things like that.

FFS.

Wasn't there an Onion article with this exact premise?

I feel like it would make more sense to "honor" the 2015 team or whatever since that would be the class going through all 4 years of bowl bans/sanctions. That is of course if you're going to do anything like that in the first place.

I think Mack Brown has several shows that air on the LHN, and they all involve him doing a variety of "homemaker" activities: cooking, sewing, crying because his husband is leaving him for someone younger and prettier. Things like that.

I don't know if he cried about it.

I think he's more of a Mildred Pierce type.

cashman

Banned
The players who stayed saved the program from being in the gutter for a decade or more when they could have left Penn State without penalty. In hindsight, given how relatively bad the transfer experience was for players who did leave, it was in their best interest to stay, but absolutely no one was saying that a year ago. Also, from O'Brian's perspective, these kids not only saved his career, but actually boosted it when it was in their justified power to torpedo it. If it were me, I'd certainly want to do something beyond the team banquet to show my appreciation.

Actually the Big 10 did that.

11W did some mockup suggestions for new OSU logos/unis.

I like them a lot, save for the black nameplates. The O logos are great.

uni-logo.jpg

uni-home-away-580.jpg

uni-away-mock.jpg

uni-home-mock-300.jpg

uni-back-580.jpg

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
My car does not have any Alabama stuff on it. People in this state do crazy stuff to property near and dear to the opposing fan base.

cdyhybrid

My car does not have any Alabama stuff on it. People in this state do crazy stuff to property near and dear to the opposing fan base.

You're not a True Fan™. I bet that Louisville guy has 50 different Louisville logos somewhere on his car.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
When I go home to visit my parents, I regularly see cars with 4-5 different pieces of Alabama flair on them. I also saw a guy wearing houndstooth croakies once. I threw up in my mouth.

Lonestar

Now, I have dozens of Alabama shirts, via always getting 4-8 every christmas, and I don't work in a posh law office like Advocate mre, so I've been on a constant rotation of Alabama shirts during the daytime, as well as wearing one of the dozen of Alabama hats I have (also given to me, on my Birthday).

But my car, still just a Black 2012 Chevy Cruze. One with a license plate and nothing else (except pollen, dust, and dead bugs). Never saw the point of bumper stickers (of any kind), and don't want to place a gawdy front bumper sign, either.

Guileless

True story: I stayed w/ a friend in a Vandy dorm for an Ole Miss/Vandy football game once, and the residents wanted us to change the channel on the communal tv from a Miss. St.-LSU game to the World Series. Let that sink in. Granted this was back when Vandy went 2-9 every year.

KingGondo

Banned
True story: I stayed w/ a friend in a Vandy dorm for an Ole Miss/Vandy football game once, and the residents wanted us to change the channel on the communal tv from a Miss. St.-LSU game to the World Series. Let that sink in. Granted this was back when Vandy went 2-9 every year.
I always thought baseball was just for little kids and old people. Apparently it's also for Vandy students too.

jjasper

The only people I have ever met that care about baseball are either from Boston, ATL, NY, or STL.

I played baseball in high school

Guileless

Most of those guys would not have been comfortable on a stool at the Flora-Bama discussing the ess eee see. They probably work at Goldman Sachs now.

andycapps

The only people I have ever met that care about baseball are either from Boston, ATL, NY, or STL.

I played baseball in high school
I like baseball but I only watch it if it's my team. I never watch the world series unless my team is in it. It's way too boring to watch if you have no vested interest.

andycapps

I thought college baseball is kinda popular in sec and acc territory.
It is somewhat. But I was talking about MLB not college. If the Vandy students mentioned above passed up a Miss State/LSU football game for the World Series, must have been MLB World Series.

Welp. Looking likely Penn St won't be returning to UCF in 2014. Sucks.

But in exchange the teams will likely end up in Ireland for the season opener. Guess Bill O'Brien and George O'Leary have a little bromance going on. Certainly a trip I'd consider. Never been to Europe...

Apparently, the Alamo Bowl is a "big-time bowl game" now:

LLP0Zv1.jpg

At least we had to win it. Some bowls just give it for showing up. After looking it up, it's the Pinstripe, Gator, and Outback.

Also, I am pretty sure "Bowl Gifts" are a fancy way of saying "Shit to sell"

tokkun

Today I learned that 1st-rounder Travis Frederick has apparently been working in the same office as me, just a few desks away for the past few months, but none of my co-workers thought it was noteworthy enough to mention because they don't care about football.

Today I learned that 1st-rounder Travis Frederick has apparently been working in the same office as me, just a few desks away for the past few months, but none of my co-workers thought it was noteworthy enough to mention because they don't care about football.

In fairness, he's only a first-rounder in Jerry Jones' gin-hazed reality. (And I say that as a Cowboys fan desperate to have that guy pan out.)

Still cool that he's in your office...how do you miss a 300+ lb guy with a huge beard a few desks from you?

tokkun

In fairness, he's only a first-rounder in Jerry Jones' gin-hazed reality. (And I say that as a Cowboys fan desperate to have that guy pan out.)

Still cool that he's in your office...how do you miss a 300+ lb guy with a huge beard a few desks from you?

I guess I fell victim to my own stereotypes about football player academics.

I did see him around, but I didn't put 2 & 2 together because I didn't think a football player would be working in a computer engineering research lab. Apparently he was an Electrical Engineering and Math double-major, and smart enough to be recruited to do undergraduate research.

Was in Chicago this past weekend and on the train was talking with a couple auburn fans on their honey moon. Seemed like good folk, also I was drunk so that could have been an illusion.

andycapps

Looks like Bret is learning quickly about how to cope in the SEC west:

Will put out a release shortly with a list of a few current student athletes that will explore new opportunities. Transition is a process.—
Bret Bielema (@BretBielema) May 06, 2013

cdyhybrid

From the UW Facebook page. It's gorgeous here, finally summer! Can't wait for football.

Also, the Seattle Times beat writer covering the Huskies is switching over to covering the Seahawks. Glad I'll still get to read his stuff (he's one of the best in the business, IMO), but sad he's leaving the college coverage. Wonder who they'll get to replace him.

Also, a bonus image (older obviously since the stadium is currently still under construction):

andycapps

Matthew Thomas (linebacker) that committed to FSU for the 2013 season and is supposed to be playing this fall is asking them to release his commitment so he can go to Georgia or USC. Probably won't happen, but he claims that he didn't know where to go and his mom pressured him to go to FSU. I can't see how if he did stay at FSU that he would have a good time there after talking this poorly of the situation.

To be fair to FSU, it doesn't sound like it's anything against them, he just ended up going there by default. Sounds like he

“What happened was on Signing Day [was] I wasn’t sure who I wanted to sign with. I had issues with different schools. But when I told my mom I didn’t want to sign with anybody and wait and give it a few days she said I couldn’t do that. She said, ‘FSU is a good school – pick them. It’s close to home.’ I wasn’t agreeing with it. But I felt like I was being disrespectful to her if I didn’t sign. So I made her happy.”

Thomas said the pressure of having already committed to make his college announcement live on ESPN also made things tougher. He said he has spent the last few months trying to convince himself Florida State was the right choice, but it just hasn’t felt right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom