• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingGondo

Banned
Texas Tech guys --

I'm going to be in Lubbock sometime over the next couple of weeks. Do you guys have any lunch / dinner recommendations?
Since OSU stole everything from Tech, I'd recommend you try the original Eskimo Joe's and Hideaway Pizza which I'm assuming are located there.

andycapps

Nebraska dropped entirely off his radar after spring? Really? Alrighty. I'd expect to be in the 'Just missed the list' category at least.

What I find funny is why people are ranking Florida so high, given that they don't have any answers to their offensive problems of last year. That should be same as last. Defense lost people. Still, it's preseason polls and doesn't mean much.

The Gators' offense had a strange spring. The offensive line was supposed to be deeper and better with two transfers (Max Garcia and Tyler Moore) becoming eligible and sophomore D.J. Humphries maturing into a starting left tackle, but the group got so banged up that coach Will Muschamp had to scrap the spring game format and just hold a regular practice. So at the moment, we don't really know if Florida's line will be better. If it is, watch out. Florida's defense, which should get Ronald Powell (ACL) back as a hybrid linebacker/defensive end and could have a monster on its hands if Fowler continues to develop, should be able to weather some pretty talented departures. That defense and a capable running game should make Florida competitive in the SEC East. But to compete for titles, the Gators will have to develop the passing game. At the moment, the great hope in Gainesville is freshman receiver Demarcus Robinson.

This part is what kills me. If the OL is better, what is that going to do? Driskell still can't pass. They lost their RB. Their big hope on offense is a freshman receiver. Yeah, I'm not seeing dominant offense out of this group. Which is fine for them, they can build their team around defense and an opportunistic offense. I just don't see why anybody would be optimistic about their offense.

And A&M at #2 is hilarious. It'll be interesting to see if Manziel can do as much as he did last year without those monsters on his OL. And with all the defensive coordinators having a whole offseason to scheme for him. I foresee a regression for them this year.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
My brother in law lived in Lubbock for a few years and made it sound like Outer Mongolia. I've never been.

Jhriad

And A&M at #2 is hilarious. It'll be interesting to see if Manziel can do as much as he did last year without those monsters on his OL. And with all the defensive coordinators having a whole offseason to scheme for him. I foresee a regression for them this year.

Offensive line should be almost as good as last year. They lost Joeckel but they still have Matthews. If they had lost him as well I think a lot of Aggies would have been surprised by the drop off Manziel would have had in his performance. Hardly any of them understand that the line was the reason Manziel and that offense was so good last year.

Shacks? Son I am disappoint.

As a former Big 12 member and Texas resident let me help him out here.

A trip to Lubbock isn't complete without watching the seasonal migration of the majestic tumbleweed. Roll on prickly brother, roll on.

andycapps

Offensive line should be almost as good as last year. They lost Joeckel but they still have Matthews. If they had lost him as well I think a lot of Aggies would have been surprised by the drop off Manziel would have had in his performance. Hardly any of them understand that the line was the reason Manziel and that offense was so good last year.

Okay, I thought they lost Matthews this year as well. But you're right, the offensive line is the main reason that Manziel was so effective this last year. And people not respecting his ability to run as well.

Texas Tech guys --

I'm going to be in Lubbock sometime over the next couple of weeks. Do you guys have any lunch / dinner recommendations?

Is it a trip with a lady or is it a dude trip? Also, what do you like? Steaks? Burgers? Tex Mex? You have a decent expense account, or are you on the cheap? Contrary to popular belief, Lubbock is a good-sized city, and has lots of options.

In related Lubbock news:

Alfredo Morales
@Alfredo56TTU
Message to all texas tech football players

BJrbnfnCAAIQYOV.jpg

www.twitter.com/Alfredo56TTU/status/331818994107547650

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Is it a trip with a lady or is it a dude trip? Also, what do you like? Steaks? Burgers? Tex Mex? You have a decent expense account, or are you on the cheap? Contrary to popular belief, Lubbock is a good-sized city, and has lots of options.

In related Lubbock news:

Business. With 2 senior partners so no real limit. As far as food, whatever you consider to be the "you've gotta eat here when you come to Lubbock" spot will be perfect. Lunch and dinner recommendation would be appreciated.

ag-my001

Okay, I thought they lost Matthews this year as well. But you're right, the offensive line is the main reason that Manziel was so effective this last year. And people not respecting his ability to run as well.

I think we're moving Matthews over to LT, so that should also help out. That line certainly was amazing last year; you could easily see Manziel scrambling less as the season wore on, not because the coaches called fewer QB runs, but because him and the line were working together so much better. He had the time to scan the field, and scrambles that started seven seconds into the play found more open field for bigger gains.

I'm much more concerned about our front seven on defense. To be honest, I think we're safer in the SEC than against the Big XII offenses, just because fewer games will turn into shootouts. But if our defense can't stop the run, keeping our offense on the sidelines and the game close, we could be in trouble.

This year will be plenty of fun: either A&M dominance, or schadenfreude for everyone else.

Business. With 2 senior partners so no real limit. As far as food, whatever you consider to be the "you've gotta eat here when you come to Lubbock" spot will be perfect. Lunch and dinner recommendation would be appreciated.

Cool.

Money won't be a real big issue in Lubbock. Nothing is really expensive. Even a steakhouse is pretty bargain-priced.

Let's just skip the bullshit and say that the 50 Yard Line is really where ya'll will want to be for dinner. There's no doubt. This is the landmark steakhouse in Lubbock. This is where men are men and make damn deals. Unless you're Tommy Tuberville who escapes out the bathroom window. A few years ago, the place had declined a bit, but for the last couple years, they've been back to their excellent standards. Try not loading up too much on the excellent cheese rolls and blueberry muffins (the 50 yd. line tradition), so you'll have room for desert.

2549 South Loop 289
(Loop and University)
(806) 745-3991

I'll throw some lunch suggestions up in a couple hours when I have a break. Do you know what side of town you'll be on, or do you care? Nothing's really that far away.

mre

Cool.

Money won't be a real big issue in Lubbock. Nothing is really expensive. Even a steakhouse is pretty bargain-priced.

Let's just skip the bullshit and say that the 50 Yard Line is really where ya'll will want to be for dinner. There's no doubt. This is the landmark steakhouse in Lubbock. This is where men are men and make damn deals. Unless you're Tommy Tuberville who escapes out the bathroom window. A few years ago, the place had declined a bit, but for the last couple years, they've been back to their excellent standards. Try not loading up too much on the excellent cheese rolls and blueberry muffins (the 50 yd. line tradition), so you'll have room for desert.

2549 South Loop 289
(Loop and University)
(806) 745-3991

I'll throw some lunch suggestions up in a couple hours when I have a break. Do you know what side of town you'll be on, or do you care? Nothing's really that far away.

No clue where we are staying, but we will be at the courthouse in (I'm assuming) downtown Lubbock during the day.

And thanks for the suggestion of the 50 yard line. I will definitely pass that along.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Beginning of the End, Selection Committee Chair for the 2015 Playoffs:
NCAA announces Utah State AD Scott Barnes named selection committee chair for 2015 tournament
Also has a few years at Washington and the PAC. USC and Oregon to tie up 2 spots.

cdyhybrid

Beginning of the End, Selection Committee Chair for the 2015 Playoffs:

Also has a few years at Washington and the PAC. USC and Oregon to tie up 2 spots.

Oregon will be getting the death penalty and USC is still suffering from sanctions such as being coached by Lane Kiffin.

2013 CBS Bowl Projections. Because it's never too early, right?

Has Bama and Ohio St in the final MNC.

ND, FSU in Orange
Aggy, Clemson in Sugar
Texas, Louisville in Fiesta
Nebraska, Stanford in Rose

And on the homer side, has UCF and Miami in the Russel(I don't think anyone realizes this was the Champs sports bowl) Athletic Bowl. Game would sell out, but fuck that bowl committee.

Jhriad

To be honest, I think we're safer in the SEC than against the Big XII offenses, just because fewer games will turn into shootouts.

Couldn't agree with this bit enough. I think part of the reason A&M had so much success last year is that most of the SEC offenses can't go tit for tat with their offenses. Score 30-35 and you've probably outpaced most of last year's offensive production in that league already.

2013 CBS Bowl Projections. Because it's never too early, right?

Oh hey lets look at this and see what they think...

cbsprebowlneb.png

I have only one response to that. We don't deserve to be there and we won't be. Let us just focus on improving our defense and we'll see where we're at in a few years. Until then, fuck off with your unrealistically high preseason expectations. Fuck you CBS. Don't you curse us with your evil voodoo.

No clue where we are staying, but we will be at the courthouse in (I'm assuming) downtown Lubbock during the day.

And thanks for the suggestion of the 50 yard line. I will definitely pass that along.

If you're at the county courthouse, you've got a couple easy options for lunch.

Either take a quick trip west on Broadway (the street which runs just east/west just south of the courthouse) a few blocks toward the Tech campus, and hit one of the restaurants there, like Gardski's Loft, (2009 Broadway, two blocks east of the main campus entrance, an old Lubbock staple for the last 30 years) or hit one of the many other places near campus.

Or, you can take Buddy Holly Ave. (the street just east of the courthouse) and head south to the nearby Depot District (where there are tons of bars/restaurants) and hit one of the many options there, like The Triple-J Chophouse and Brewery, (1807 Buddy Holly) which has a good lunch menu.

I think your group will be happy at either of those mentioned places for lunch, or, like I said, there's lots of other places in either area to enjoy a good lunch in the areas surrounding campus or the Depot District.

If you go the route of Gardski's Loft, just continuing down Broadway two blocks will get you right to the front entrance of Texas Tech's campus, so you might get a quick tour in while you're digesting, if you have the time. The campus (which wins a lot of national awards for its public art and landscaping) was looking beautiful a few weeks ago, with all the spring flowers in bloom, but apparently they had a freaky late cold front that came through last weekend and froze everything, so I don't know what it's going to look like for your visit. Usually this time of year, you're looking at sunny weather in the 70s-80s (and our beautiful co-eds in sundresses and shorts, which makes EVERYTHING in life better) during the day and cool nights in the 50s. Usually there is near-zero humidity on the high plains, but this week/weekend may have some strange weather. Thurs. and Fri. this week there is a chance of rain/t-storms, so be prepared.

Hope this helps a bit, and you guys enjoy your visit. Do you know which hotel? EDIT: Never mind. I see you answered that. I hope you're staying at the Overton.

mre

If you're at the county courthouse, you've got a couple easy options for lunch.

Either take a quick trip west on Broadway (the street which runs just east/west just south of the courthouse) a few blocks toward the Tech campus, and hit one of the restaurants there, like Gardski's Loft, (2009 Broadway, two blocks east of the main campus entrance, an old Lubbock staple for the last 30 years) or hit one of the many other places near campus.

Or, you can take Buddy Holly Ave. (the street just east of the courthouse) and head south to the nearby Depot District (where there are tons of bars/restaurants) and hit one of the many options there, like The Triple-J Chophouse and Brewery, (1807 Buddy Holly) which has a good lunch menu.

I think your group will be happy at either of those mentioned places for lunch, or, like I said, there's lots of other places in either area to enjoy a good lunch in the areas surrounding campus or the Depot District.

If you go the route of Gardski's Loft, just continuing down Broadway two blocks will get you right to the front entrance of Texas Tech's campus, so you might get a quick tour in while you're digesting, if you have the time. The campus (which wins a lot of national awards for its public art and landscaping) was looking beautiful a few weeks ago, with all the spring flowers in bloom, but apparently they had a freaky late cold front that came through last weekend and froze everything, so I don't know what it's going to look like for your visit. Usually this time of year, you're looking at sunny weather in the 70s-80s (and our beautiful co-eds in sundresses and shorts, which makes EVERYTHING in life better) during the day and cool nights in the 50s. Usually there is near-zero humidity on the high plains, but this week/weekend may have some strange weather. Thurs. and Fri. this week there is a chance of rain/t-storms, so be prepared.

Hope this helps a bit, and you guys enjoy your visit. Do you know which hotel? EDIT: Never mind. I see you answered that. I hope you're staying at the Overton.
I really, really appreciate the suggestions. We're not going there for a couple more weeks, but I like to plan ahead when I can.

We typically stay at hotels near the downtown area, which the Overton seems to be. I'll ask the secretary who booked the trips where we are staying tomorrow. I hope it's the Overton, because it seems to be right next to the campus, and I'd love a chance to stroll through it in our down time.

Garryk

Arkansas finalized their home-and-home with TCU for the 2016-17 seasons. Now that 2015 is freed up, hopefully we can finalize that home-and-home with Texas Tech.

Garryk

You planning a trip up to Jersey/New York this year?

My father and I were going to make a trip out of it, but my wife is due on 9/10 so I don't think that would fly. Now if my father-in-law is going to be staying with us then all bets are off.

Lonestar

So paying players wasn't exclusive to the Southwest conference at the time. SMU should be ashamed they were caught.

SMU was flaunting that shit. They were practically Rick James in the Champagne Room, splashing that 8-Ball of "Paying Players" all over the place.

andycapps

It's real, the one I posted was one of 4 different scouting reports for Jackson available on the website

Bwahahaha. Not that anything will come of it this far along, but still.

There's no way that can be accurate. I mean, I hate Auburn as much as mre and Lonestar, but the one mentioning a signing bonus, that line is at an angle totally different than the rest of the document. Seems like someone doctored that.

Lonestar

Could also mean "Large enough signing bonus to dissuade a player from going to college." Scholarship itself has a nice size value, then there's the once in a lifetime experience of going to college, being an athlete @ college, etc etc.

But hey, Auburn is right up there with SMU on the list of "schools with the most amount of severe sanctions" so, it's not exactly unheard of.

Still can't believe Alabama treated him the way he says they did. I have to assume Bear was barely functioning (and not long from death), and sent a moron to recruit him. That's what I gathered from that 30 for 30 movie on Bo.

There's no way that can be accurate. I mean, I hate Auburn as much as mre and Lonestar, but the one mentioning a signing bonus, that line is at an angle totally different than the rest of the document. Seems like someone doctored that.
That's not proof it's doctored, the scout could've typed it all out but the last line, taken it out of the typewriter, and decided to go back and add that line before sending it off. Typewriters suck.

andycapps

That's not proof it's doctored, the scout could've typed it all out but the last line, taken it out of the typewriter, and decided to go back and add that line before sending it off. Typewriters suck.

Definitely not proof of that.. And it doesn't surprise me one bit given what I know about Auburn's history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom