• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talon

Here's kind of an insane chart, the highest paid public employee by state:

BJ2VfooCcAAcgRj.png
Yeah, this shit is stupid. And what did the NCAA numbers finally show? Only 38 Athletic programs in the country are making a profit?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Reading, and the most recent news was that he's in a 3 way battle for the starting spot? Guess he either found out he's 3rd, or he's a prima donna and doesn't believe he should be mired in a constant battle for the starting spot.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Florida a basketball coach? What the fuck man?
Have you looked at what Billly Donovan has done over his career as a head coach versus what William Muschamp has done?

It helps when the three "big" football schools all have relatively new head coaches who only had either (1) coordinator experience prior to becoming the coach or (2) minimal head coaching experience at a tiny school (Temple), prior to their current positions.

Have you looked at what Billly Donovan has done over his career as a head coach versus what William Muschamp has done?

It helps when the three "big" football schools all have relatively new head coaches who only had either (1) coordinator experience prior to becoming the coach or (2) minimal head coaching experience at a tiny school (Temple), prior to their current positions.

I know Billy's track record....

But still. It's just not right, mang.

KingGondo

Banned
Reading, and the most recent news was that he's in a 3 way battle for the starting spot? Guess he either found out he's 3rd, or he's a prima donna and doesn't believe he should be mired in a constant battle for the starting spot.
Yeah. It's hard to get a read on what happened since Gundy is so secretive.

My guess is that they asked him to redshirt his sophomore year and he didn't want to. There are lots of schools that he'd be a presumptive starter at. I wouldn't be surprised if he transferred closer to home (Illinois) and picked a B1G school.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
The QB position, you're either the starter, a player who understands that he isn't good enough to play, or is in the process of transferring to someplace else.

It's rare to find a QB that doesn't fit into those roles.

Tamanon

Banned
Also, the big schools in Florida have relatively new football coaches, especially compared to Billy D's career.

Now, if Urban were still here, it'd probably be different.

cashman

Banned
Yeah. It's hard to get a read on what happened since Gundy is so secretive.

My guess is that they asked him to redshirt his sophomore year and he didn't want to. There are lots of schools that he'd be a presumptive starter at. I wouldn't be surprised if he transferred closer to home (Illinois) and picked a B1G school.

He'd fit pretty good in a Pac 12 offense

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
My mind has been fucking blown tonight. Alabama's logo from the 1950's when Auburn was still Alabama Polytechnic Institute:

Rwih7kV.gif

Those motherfuckers steal everything from us. Even our old logos.

I'm in Aggieland.

Someone please save me.

what day is your sisters graduation? i'll know then when to pray for your sanity. if you ever get tired of all the "whoop!" yells, shout out an errant "Hook em Horns!" and the entire arena will "hiss" its fuckin hilarious.

I saw that. Sad to say, but a lot of shitty students manage to get through with the lower standards, plus Oklahoma public schools are... not the best.

One of the things that kept us from being able to join the Pac-12.

The BigXII loves all their members just the way they are even with their flaws. Jesus would be a BigXII fan for that reason.

I'm in Aggieland.

Someone please save me.

Ok, here is what you do.

When they say "Howdy," that's just their primitive way to say "Hello."

Don't walk on the grass, it rattles up the natives.

They had a good season last year, so they should be super aggy.

If you drag out an "A", don't be surprised if someone blurts out a "Whoop." This isn't a war cry, and should be harmless. However, if they hiss at you, run.

what day is your sisters graduation? i'll know then when to pray for your sanity. if you ever get tired of all the "whoop!" yells, shout out an errant "Hook em Horns!" and the entire arena will "hiss" its fuckin hilarious.

Saturday. I told her I'd wear my finest burnt orange to the ceremony. (Not that she'd mind, as she pretty much hates this place and can't wait to leave.)

The campus sucks. I hate how it's stuck in its own area and not integrated with the surrounding community.

Ok, here is what you do.

When they say "Howdy," that's just their primitive way to say "Hello."

Don't walk on the grass, it rattles up the natives.

They had a good season last year, so they should be super aggy.

If you drag out an "A", don't be surprised if someone blurts out a "Whoop." This isn't a war cry, and should be harmless. However, if they hiss at you, run.

Much appreciated. I'm hoping to get out of here with only minimal interaction with the natives. It's better for both parties.

Saturday. I told her I'd wear my finest burnt orange to the ceremony. (Not that she'd mind, as she pretty much hates this place and can't wait to leave.)

The campus sucks. I hate how it's stuck in its own area and not integrated with the surrounding community. I hate campuses like this.

The architecture doesn't help.

It transitioned from the male military college to an actual university in the 70s, aka the worst building design in American history. I think they even Texags hates the look of the campus.

I'm sure you've answered this before, but why did she choose A&M in the first place? Obviously she wanted to go out of state, but surely aggyland wasn't the only out of state school she had to choose from. I bet she really enjoyed the tour, thinking surely the students aren't as tradition crazy as this tour guide....then sometime during her first semester it hit her and she realized "I've made a terrible mistake"

The fact that I had to drive through the asshole called East Texas in the midst of a monsoon to get here certainly didn't help my disposition.

I'm sure you've answered this before, but why did she choose A&M in the first place? Obviously she wanted to go out of state, but surely aggyland wasn't the only out of state school she had to choose from. I bet she really enjoyed the tour, thinking surely it really isn't this crazy once I'm accepted...then sometime during her first semester it hits her and she realized "I've made a terrible mistake"

She's in agriculture. It came down to A&M and Florida, and A&M made her a better offer and had a stronger program in her area of study.

In retrospect, I don't think she regrets her decision. She has a fantastic gig lined up at UNL, and she did make quite a few great friends at A&M in spite of her overall dislike of the community. You live and you learn.

The fact that I had to drive through the asshole called East Texas in the midst of a monsoon to get here certainly didn't help my disposition.

Hope you're a white protestant.

The rest of Texas identifies with the state of Texas rather then the South. In order to make up for the rest of the state, East Texas is super Southern.

Did you drive through Tyler? The city is like....college station with more trees ( and roses when they are in season )

Nope. We entered at Texarkana and then pretty much kissed civilization goodbye.

I think Google Maps was feeling unusually vindictive. I knew College Station was somewhat remote, but we were on narrow two-lane highways for the bulk of our drive in Texas.

Thankfully I will not be making the return journey. I've got a work conference in Orlando and I'll be flying there from Houston on Sunday.

cashman

Banned

I think Google Maps was feeling unusually vindictive. I knew College Station was somewhat remote, but we were on narrow two-lane highways for the bulk of our drive in Texas.

Thankfully I will not be making the return journey. I've got a work conference in Orlando and I'll be flying there from Houston on Sunday.

Did you drive the entire way from Ohio?

Hope you're a white protestant.

The rest of Texas identifies with the state of Texas rather then the South. In order to make up for the rest of the state, East Texas is super Southern.

Can we pick and choose what's "Texas"? If we can then I'm afraid the conservatives would exile Austin from the state.

How's this representation:

East of Houston = The south
South of Corpus Christi + El Paso= North Mexico
Area between San Antonio and El Paso = Cowboys & seemingly endless amounts of badlands
Everywhere else: What Texans want to be associated by.

She's in agriculture. It came down to A&M and Florida, and A&M made her a better offer and had a stronger program in her area of study.

In retrospect, I don't think she regrets her decision. She has a fantastic gig lined up at UNL, and she did make quite a few great friends at A&M in spite of her overall dislike of the community. You live and you learn.

Well I guess I can't blame her for choosing aggy when her major is agriculture. And the fact she has a job lined up makes the whole process worth it. I'de trade my degree for a job right now if I could.

Well I guess I can't blame her for choosing aggy when her major is agriculture. And the fact she has a job lined up makes the whole process worth it. I'de trade my degree for a job right now if I could.

Yeah, it worked out for the best. It was for her PhD, so one approaches the college selection process quite differently than one would for undergrad. It's more of a strategic career choice and not as much of a personal lifestyle choice.

She's got the stupid ring (though she spent as little on it as possible), but she's still 100% Buckeye.

Ugh conference season. If I see you going 20 in a 45 I'm running you off the road.

Take a stroll over to UCF. About 30-45min from the convention center.

cdyhybrid

Ugh conference season. If I see you going 20 in a 45 I'm running you off the road.

Take a stroll over to UCF. About 30-45min from the convention center.
We're actually at an on-site Universal Studios hotel. Royal Pacific, I believe.

I'm excited. I've been to Disney, but not Universal.

Also, I'll be relying on taxis. Definitely not bothering to rent a car.

Draxal

Not anymore. Eddie got paid.

Nope, his base is around 450k (but realistc bonuses makes it around 900k) and Stringer's realistic bonuses is around 1 million. He could make potentially 1.4 million with bonuses but Stringer can make 1.5 million this year with them.

Mind you this is Stringer's last year and there's going to a huge showdown about it, and it's an annual complaint about Rutgers fans about how much money Stringer makes (Geno makese a shit ton more then her ... but he wins a shit ton more as well).

The big concession that Eddie got was his assistant pool is a lot higher.

andycapps

Too many snowbirds there. Be safe in Aggyland.

Universal/Islands of Adventure and especially CityWalk in general is fun. I'm someone that hates theme parks, especially Disney, but Universal/Islands of Adventure if tolerable to me. A lot more to do for older people.

Tamanon

Banned

CityWalk is pretty good there. I'm a fan of Universal in general over Disney.

Nope, his base is around 450k (but realistc bonuses makes it around 900k) and Stringer's realistic bonuses is around 1 million. He could make potentially 1.4 million with bonuses but Stringer can make 1.5 million this year with them.

Mind you this is Stringer's last year and there's going to a huge showdown about it, and it's an annual complaint about Rutgers fans about how much money Stringer makes (Geno makese a shit ton more then her ... but he wins a shit ton more as well).

The big concession that Eddie got was his assistant pool is a lot higher.
According to this, Jordan is at $550,000 base, $500,000 guaranteed additional, which would put him at $1.05m total guaranteed. According to this, Stringer is at $1.035m total (It's not broken down like Jordan's, but this from 2009 indicates it's probably also a base + additional guaranteed break out.)

Draxal

That highest state salary thread is off to a good a start. Athletics already being compared to slavery.

Good example of Rutgers self loathing there too, although in all honesty Rutgers is a complete oddball in this siutation, because the New Brunswick campus has a weird weird weird layout compared to most other land grant schools.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Sam Torn, Co-Chair of the Kyle Field redevelopment committee recently sat down with TexAgs.com to describe how the renovation came to life. He also touched on how the stadium would still be one of the most intimidating in the country.

“Our goal is, when an opposing team walks out on this field it is going to be so loud, it is going to be so intense, that literally someone is going to wet their pants.”

Good example of Rutgers self loathing there too, although in all honesty Rutgers is a complete oddball in this siutation, because the New Brunswick campus has a weird weird weird layout compared to most other land grant schools.

Speaking of Rutgers, more issues I would think. Your new BB coach claimed a degree from Rutgers.

It is now coming out that he didn't...

AWF is straight up lying.

The buses don't get pulled to service the games and deny students their ability to get to class.

Also: I actually know the guy who wrote that Deadspin article. That's all I will say on the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom