• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.
AWF is straight up lying.

The buses don't get pulled to service the games and deny students their ability to get to class.

Also: I actually know the guy who wrote that Deadspin article. That's all I will say on the subject.

Not sure what that means. But either way I'm seeing it is an NCAA requirement for the coach to hold a degree. Does he have another degree elsewhere?

Draxal

Not sure what that means. But either way I'm seeing it is an NCAA requirement for the coach to hold a degree. Does he have another degree elsewhere?

He might actually have a degree with Rutgers too, Rutgers Registrar isn't .... exactly the best well run department in the world.

Hey mre:

These aerial pictures of Lubbock, (looking at the east side of the Texas Tech campus,) just showed up online, and one of them will give you a real good idea of where you'll be staying:

The Overton Hotel is the tallest building in the top right corner of this photo:

ibRAOM0KbjLXv.jpg
(To give you an idea of scale, this photo shows about 1/4 of Texas Tech's main campus, not including the Medical School campus or the golf course, either.)

Here's a few more of this side of the Texas Tech campus. Too bad the flowers weren't out when the pilot took these...

(The building wrapped in yellow just behind "The Bubble" is our new state-of-the-art Petroleum Engineering Lab, under construction.)

This shot shows the new construction area around the stadium. The steel frame for the massive new endzone jumbotron and sound system is now complete, and starting to be bricked up. The stone work and brick for the arches of the colonnade that will enclose this entire side of the stadium apparently arrived on site today. It should all be done by the first home game.

Draxal

oh yeah FERPA

is that grandfathered in lol

From 1974, and it's in the actual transcript himself. He also coached at BC and at ODU, so either those two universities fucked up (doubt it) or the registrar fucked up (someone's getting fired no matter what).

edit.

If it's true that he didn't earn a degree, Barchi has to be fired right away.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Hey mre:

These aerial pictures of Lubbock, (looking at the east side of the Texas Tech campus,) just showed up online, and one of them will give you a real good idea of where you'll be staying:

The Overton Hotel is the tallest building in the top right corner of this photo:

(To give you an idea of scale, this photo shows about 1/4 of Texas Tech's main campus, not including the Medical School campus or the golf course, either.)

Here's a few more of this side of the Texas Tech campus. Too bad the flowers weren't out when the pilot took these...

(The building wrapped in yellow just behind "The Bubble" is our new state-of-the-art Petroleum Engineering Lab, under construction.)

This shot shows the new construction area around the stadium. The steel frame for the massive new endzone jumbotron and sound system is now complete, and starting to be bricked up. The stone work and brick for the arches of the colonnade that will enclose this entire side of the stadium apparently arrived on site today. It should all be done by the first home game.
Cool shots. Thanks for posting them. What is "The Bubble"? A natatorium?

Cool shots. Thanks for posting them. What is "The Bubble"? A natatorium?

No, "The Bubble" seen here was originally designed to be a multi-purpose indoor practice facility for football and track. It hasn't been used for football for a number of years though, as it was not really that great for that purpose. Tech is currently designing a new indoor facility for football. I think the eventual plan is for the bubble to be demoed, since It doesn't fit the current specs for hosting NCAA indoor track meets anymore either.

Good guess on the natatorium though, because we do have a similar bubble over our olympic pool facility on the west side of campus (which is not shown in these pics) which is right next door to Tech's now-famous student water park.

These things were a 70's experiment that nobody in the AD is super happy with now. Under the building regulations in the charter that were amended in the 90's, these facilities wouldn't even be allowed to be built. Same for the library which was also built in a modern style. Tech now has very strict guidelines for architecture, landscaping and public art that are pretty unique. Every building on the main campus (the Health Science Center is a seperate entity) must be built in the Spanish Renaissance style Tech is known for, and for every project over $500K, an additional 1% is tacked on for public art acquisitions, and another 1% is tacked on for landscaping.

For a campus that's grown as fast as Tech has, and has raised as much money as Tech has recently, this has served an important purpose--to avoid runaway "construction boom" projects. University administrators at fast-growing schools often lack discipline and just want to throw up buildings everywhere (and put their names and the names of their friends on them.) Because of these rules, each project costs more than it might elsewhere, which makes every project more carefully considered from both a design and funding perspective.

No, "The Bubble" seen here was originally designed to be a multi-purpose indoor practice facility for football and track. It hasn't been used for football for a number of years though, as it was not really that great for that purpose. Tech is currently designing a new indoor facility for football. I think the eventual plan is for the bubble to be demoed, since It doesn't fit the current specs for hosting NCAA indoor track meets anymore either.

Good guess on the natatorium though, because we do have a similar bubble over our olympic pool facility on the west side of campus (which is not shown in these pics) which is right next door to Tech's now-famous student water park.

These things were a 70's experiment that nobody in the AD is super happy with now. Under the building regulations in the charter that were amended in the 90's, these facilities wouldn't even be allowed to be built. Same for the library which was also built in a modern style. Tech now has very strict guidelines for architecture, landscaping and public art that are pretty unique. Every building on the main campus (the Health Science Center is a seperate entity) must be built in the Spanish Renaissance style Tech is known for, and for every project over $500K, an additional 1% is tacked on for public art acquisitions, and another 1% is tacked on for landscaping.

For a campus that's grown as fast as Tech has, this has served an important purpose--to avoid runaway "construction boom" projects. University administrators at fast-growing schools often lack discipline and just want to throw up buildings everywhere (and put their names and the names of their friends on them.) Because of these rules, each project costs more than it might elsewhere, which makes every project more carefully considered from both a design and funding perspective.

Yeah your campus is spread the hell out, just like A&M's. At UT you can walk from one side of campus to the other in 10 minutes while at A&M it takes almost 30. I'm sure Tech is the same way if you say that first pic only represent 1/4th of the campus. Buldings at UT are mostly compact and tall to save precious real estate. We're looking to expand with a medical school now, but there's currently no where to put. As a result, UT recently bought out some land that public businesses currently occupy, and there are talks about demoing the Erwin Center. It's the price we pay for having a major University in the middle of a city with 820,000+ people

Yeah your campus is spread the hell out, just like A&M's. At UT you can walk from one side of campus to the other in 10 minutes while at A&M it takes almost 30. I'm sure Tech is the same way if you say that first pic only represent 1/4th of the campus.

It's actually not that bad. The nice thing about Tech is, for the most part, your dorms, athletic facilities, student rec/leisure facilities, specialty labs and stuff like the Law school and the Med school are on the outside edges of campus, but most of the stuff you'd need as an undergrad (most of the buildings representing the colleges your arts/sciences prerequisites are in, Engineering, and the Student Union) are on the inside, fairly close together. Your big colleges' buildings, (like Business, English, Communications, ect) as well as the larger science labs, are located just outside the center, but inside all that more remote stuff.

The Tech campus is surprisingly walkable. Even though the bus stops are all over the place, I never took a shuttle bus while I was a student there, not even once, and I didn't get a bike until my last year.

Buldings at UT are mostly compact and tall to save precious real estate. We're looking to expand with a medical school now, but there's currently no where to put. As a result, UT recently bought out some land that public businesses currently occupy, and there are talks about demoing the Erwin Center. It's the price we pay for having a major University in the middle of a city with 820,000+ people

Well, you pick your poison. UT might not have a ton of land in Austin, but they've got tons and tons of land out in west Texas, keeping your pockets fat with oil/gas money. Meanwhile the University that actually represents west Texas gets none of it. So I'm having a hard time squeezing out sympathy for ya, buddy. ;)

It's actually not that bad. The nice thing about Tech is, for the most part, your dorms, athletic facilities, student rec/leisure facilities, specialty labs and stuff like the Law school and the Med school are on the outside edges of campus, but most of the stuff you'd need as an undergrad (most of the buildings representing the colleges your arts/sciences prerequisites are in, Engineering, and the Student Union) are on the inside, fairly close together. Your big colleges' buildings, (like Business, English, Communications, ect) as well as the larger science labs, are located just outside the center, but inside all that more remote stuff.

The Tech campus is surprisingly walkable. Even though the bus stops are all over the place, I never took a shuttle bus while I was a student there, not even once, and I didn't get a bike until my last year.

Well, you pick your poison. UT might not have a ton of land in Austin, but they've got tons and tons of land out in west Texas, keeping your pockets fat with oil/gas money. Meanwhile the University that actually represents west Texas gets none of it. So I'm having a hard time squeezing out sympathy for ya, buddy. ;)

But if you look at a map, it's really hard to consider Lubbock "west Texas". UT-Permian Basin or UT El Paso, now those schools are more in west Texas geographically. You can't represent the Panhandle AND west Texas. Pick one! ;p

But if you look at a map, it's really hard to consider Lubbock "west Texas". UT-Permian Basin or UT El Paso, now those schools are in west Texas geographically. You can't represent the Panhandle AND west Texas. Pick one! ;p

Hey, we've got system schools in El Paso and the like too... but I don't make the rules. Everything west of Ft. Worth (besides south Texas) is considered west Texas. It's been that way since the days of the cattle drives. That's why Ft. Worth is called "The Gateway to the West."

Wiki don't lie either: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Texas

Now that you've been properly schooled, I urge you to email your chancellor and board of regents, and have them cut us a check for the money you guys've stolen over the years. I figure $5 Billion would be a nice way to say "sorry chums." ;)

We'll even promise not to spend it all on football. Although a giant, Colossus of Rhodes-sized statue of Crabtree's catch sounds like a good way to spend the money to me...

LOL. Yeah. Dude is getting the love right now. Hope he can keep it going, but expectations are pretty crazy now.

Last year it was Leach @ Wazzu with similarly lofty expectations. Fortunately for Kingsbury, he's coming into a program that is already on the right track. A 7-5 record for Kingsbury in his first year would be solid, but I'm sure fans are expecting 10-2.

Hey, we've got system schools in El Paso and the like too... but I don't make the rules. Everything west of Ft. Worth (besides south Texas) is considered west Texas. It's been that way since the days of the cattle drives. That's why Ft. Worth is called "The Gateway to the West."

Wiki don't lie either: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Texas

Now that you've been properly schooled, I urge you to email your chancellor and board of regents, and have them cut us a check for the money you guys've stolen over the years. I figure $5 Billion would be a nice way to say "sorry chums." ;)

We'll even promise not to spend it all on football. Although a giant, Colossus of Rhodes-sized statue of Crabtree's catch sounds like a good way to spend the money to me...

Yeah I made the drive from San Antonio to El Paso a couple years ago and couldn't help but notice all of the Texas Tech University road signs. You guys must have a lot of satellite campuses/buildings/ land in that area.

Plug your ears and tie yourself to the wall. We don't want to lose you.

I made it. Barely.

I'm sorry, but if you want your name announced for getting a bachelor's degree, go to an 800-student private Christian school.

More than two hours of nothing but names being announced. Fucking madness.

Jhriad

I made it. Barely.

I'm sorry, but if you want your name announced for getting a bachelor's degree, go to an 800-student private Christian school.

More than two hours of nothing but names being announced. Fucking madness.

And that's only one of the ceremonies that was held this weekend.

Graduation had about 7,500 total candidates spread over 3 days and 5 total ceremonies. The platform guests and everything have to be doing coke or doing shots in the back or something to sit through all of that.

Didn't help one of the ceremonies had Bill Clinton speaking so that one went longer. I think it totaled almost 3 hours. They usually last about 2 hours.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Sounds like a Colorado qb got arrested on felony assault charges. A lineman who is transferring to Nebraska was too

Au revoir, Aggieland.

It's been...interesting.

Did you touch the giant aggy ring in front of their traditions center? I was surprised how cheap the thing felt. I'm pretty sure it's a hollow plastic ring with no metal.

Sounds like a Colorado qb got arrested on felony assault charges. A lineman who is transferring to Nebraska was too
Another QB transferred last month too. Does that make Connor Wood the last remaining QB on campus? lol

Did you touch the giant aggy ring in front of their traditions center? I was surprised how cheap the thing felt. I'm pretty sure it's a hollow plastic ring with no metal.
They have a "traditions center?"

Is it where one goes to get indoctrinated?

(No, I did not touch the giant ring, nor any other ring for that matter.)

They have a "traditions center?"

Is it where one goes to get indoctrinated?

(No, I did not touch the giant ring, nor any other ring for that matter.)

Did you walk on the grass?

Actually, it would have been better if you had gone buck wild like the drum major and dotted the i on that sumbitch.

Roto:
ESPN's Brock Huard ranks Ohio State junior Braxton Miller as the No. 5 draft-eligible QB for the 2014 draft.
Miller checks in behind Teddy Bridgewater, Tajh Boyd, Aaron Murray, and Marcus Mariota. However, Huard does place Miller ahead of big names like A.J. McCarron, Johnny Manziel, Stephen Morris, Logan Thomas, and Derek Carr. "Accuracy can't always be taught, but neither can winning and toughness," Huard writes. "If his passing efficiency improves, Miller's stock will soar and NFL teams will clamor for a leader they couldn't find in the 2013 draft."
Thoughts about this?

I've been doing some serious research in UF and Gata nation. Solid school.

Wish me luck on round one of interviews on Monday from UF. I feel a little dirty even considering this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom