• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good luck! Are you going to lifelong them like every junior that gets a GAF account?
Doubtful. But if this actually happened and I also made it past the second round and got an offer, I'd be one of those dbags with UCF stuff all over my desk. I know that.

Edit: Admissions. Doing outreach and reviewing applications basically. I work at a different university now doing similar stuff but this would be an evolution for sure. Don't want to stick in admissions long term but it is another step for me wanting to get into student leadership and support areas I guess.

Thoughts about this?

Braxton has a long way to go before he can even sniff a NFL roster. He is a dynamic college QB but still struggles to a read defense, has pretty poor mechanics, and lacks accuracy. Right now theres no way he is a top 5 NFL prospect. Although Urban did say when he came in last year Braxton had been taught everything wrong and was at the stage he expects incoming freshman at. Last season was the first year he has actually worked with a good QB coach, the ones under Tress's staff were awful and not qualified to teach a 6 year old how to throw.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
The Goaline Stand does have a sweet painting, plus the conversation between an Alabama player and a PSU player. "Better throw it" :lol

Lonestar

Who's the dude with the 24 avatar?

Also, I'm on my phone so I can't see it clearly :jnc

You're a young one, I was sporting this one YEARS ago

BKKtqe6CcAItJGf.jpg:large

Alabama's 2012 NC Ring (not real diamonds!)

Top 5 hits in college football

Clowney's hit from last year made #2 on the list.

I'm a Texas Tech homer, but if this were just a list of hardest hits, Texas Tech's safety Dwayne Slay would probably have two of them, perhaps from the same game against Kansas State in 2005, when he caused two forced fumbles with just brutally massive hits. In the Texas A&M game a few weeks later, A&M QB Reggie McNeal was so frightened of Slay that he'd literally take a knee or dive to the ground when Slay approached. Probably just as well, because Slay would later see A&M's massive RB Javorski Lane, who had broken straight up the middle and was running full steam, and blast him so hard he coughed up a fumble as well. Against Oklahoma, Rhett Bomar also wanted nothing to do with Slay, and he created so much fear in the backfield, OU's WRs all had alligator arms. In the following Cotton Bowl vs. Alabama he would hit a poor guy so hard, he stumbled all the way to the wrong sideline.

Dude would end the season with eight forced fumbles, the Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year trophy and a first-team All-American. It was the craziest season I ever saw in terms of big hits from one guy.

I need to find the stockpile of .gifs from this guy...

Jamar Wall was another Tech safety with big hits...but Slay was on a different level.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Next time we get into one of those pissing matches with non-CFB GAF about how athletics is a drain on a university, here's an article from Forbes demonstrating the benefits a strong athletic department can have on a university: http://www.forbes.com/sites/tomvanr...f-nick-saban-everyone-wants-to-go-to-alabama/

But the money flowing directly from Bryant-Denny Stadium is just the start. If you think that a top college football coach earning seven figures is overpaid, think again. To appreciate just how modest Saban’s $5.3 million salary is, take a wider look around campus. Since 2007, Tuscaloosa has swelled its undergraduate ranks by 33% to over 28,000 students. Faculty count has kept pace: up 400 since 2007 to over 1,700. But it’s more than growth – it’s where the growth is coming from. According to the school, less than a third of the 2007 freshman class of 4,538 students hailed from out of state. By the fall of 2012, more than half (52%) of a freshman class of 6,397 students did. Various data from US News and the New York Times shows that the school’s out-of-state tuition cost – nearly three times higher than the rate for in-state students – rose from $18,000 to $22,950 a year during that period.

Add it all up – more students from outside Alabama paying ever-increasing premium tuition bills – and the school realized $50 million more in out-of-state tuition revenue for last fall’s incoming class than it did for the same class in 2007 ($76 million vs. $26 million). Kick in the additional $8.5 million in in-state tuition, which rose to $9,200 a year from $6,400 over the same period, and overall tuition revenue rose to $104 million from $46 million for the respective 2012 and 2007 freshman classes. And to boot, the school’s most recent capital campaign (i.e. donations from alumni and others) raised $600 million for scholarships and facilities, the most ever.

For the admissions office, more applications mean more selectivity. Six years ago, 64% of students applying to the University of Alabama were accepted. By 2012, the acceptance rate had dropped to 53%. About one in four students from the 2012 freshman class carried a 4.0 high school GPA. The class also includes 241 National Merit Scholars, more than any other public university in the U.S.

andycapps

I'm a Texas Tech homer, but if this were just a list of hardest hits, Texas Tech's safety Dwayne Slay would probably have two of them, perhaps from the same game against Kansas State in 2005, when he caused two forced fumbles with just brutally massive hits. In the Texas A&M game a few weeks later, A&M QB Reggie McNeal was so frightened of Slay that he'd literally take a knee or dive to the ground when Slay approached. Probably just as well, because Slay would later see A&M's massive RB Javorski Lane, who had broken straight up the middle and was running full steam, and blast him so hard he coughed up a fumble as well. Against Oklahoma, Rhett Bomar also wanted nothing to do with Slay, and he created so much fear in the backfield, OU's WRs all had alligator arms. In the following Cotton Bowl vs. Alabama he would hit a poor guy so hard, he stumbled all the way to the wrong sideline.

Dude would end the season with eight forced fumbles, the Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year trophy and a first-team All-American. It was the craziest season I ever saw in terms of big hits from one guy.

I need to find the stockpile of .gifs from this guy...

Jamar Wall was another Tech safety with big hits...but Slay was on a different level.

If we were going to be homers, I would have picked Bacarri Rambo's hit on an Auburn defender that knocked himself unconscious and saved a TD (and the game) in 2010. But, I'll be happy with Herschel bowling over Bill Bates as being the #1 play on that list.

Garryk

Did Michael dyer ever land at a bcs school? I remember talk of him transferring

He did a radio interview saying he wants to play for the Razorbacks not too long ago. Most of the fanbase (99%) don't want him. He's doing the Arkansas Baptist stuff hoping to get a cleansed slate.

Talon

Next time we get into one of those pissing matches with non-CFB GAF about how athletics is a drain on a university, here's an article from Forbes demonstrating the benefits a strong athletic department can have on a university: http://www.forbes.com/sites/tomvanr...f-nick-saban-everyone-wants-to-go-to-alabama/
You know why?

Every SEC school outside of Vanderbilt automatically accepts you if you're in the Southeast and are a National Merit Scholar. It's sort of hilarious getting those offers in your mail.

Florida used to claim to have the most NMS.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
You know why?

Every SEC school outside of Vanderbilt automatically accepts you if you're in the Southeast and are a National Merit Scholar. It's sort of hilarious getting those offers in your mail.

That was probably the least relevant of the bolded points with regards to the benefits of a strong athletic program.

Lonestar

speaking of Vanderbilt: Nashville Steeplechase Catfight! Warning, not really clear, but one chick might not be wearing panties under her sundress.

Featuring Vandy's Starting Center breaking up the fight while wearing a blazer, a visor on backwards, and a football that he never lets go. Cause he's a football player.

PS: One fightee proceeds to leave the event in her limo.

andycapps

You know why?

That has little to do with the point of the article. The point is that with a successful football program, that is tying directly to increased enrollment. Particularly, in out of state enrollment, which carries a higher tuition cost, and therefore, more money for the school.

I heard a while back on how Dallas is now the second highest metro area sending students to UGA. Much of that was attributed to Stafford coming from that area a few years ago. I'd love to see a beat writer do an article on that.

cdyhybrid

speaking of Vanderbilt: Nashville Steeplechase Catfight! Warning, not really clear, but one chick might not be wearing panties under her sundress.

Featuring Vandy's Starting Center breaking up the fight while wearing a blazer, a visor on backwards, and a football that he never lets go. Cause he's a football player.

SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC!

andycapps

Haha that was amazing. I saw signs for that up everywhere when wife and I were in Nashville a couple weeks ago.

Lonestar said:
More Angles
Using all them ESPN provided camera's for even MORES ANGLES - 17 seconds in, appearance of random guy slipping on the grass.

Real News: FSU not oking Matthew Thomas's transfer request.

And they're all from cameras held vertically. Tisk tisk.

Not surprised about the Matthew Thomas news, and that's the right decision by them. Can't afford to set a precedent out of letting these kids out of their obligations. I still can't see him staying at this point as it'd be too awkward.

Kevtones

gnarly-ass hit from 1998

go to 2:45

shoulder-lead but it would be illegal now, fucking brutal

the guy that did it never called for fair catches as a punt returner either, he was perfect for the XFL

andycapps

Christian Robinson, former inside linebacker at UGA that just graduated, is coming back as a graduate assistant coach to UGA. He was undrafted and didn't make training camp for St Louis Rams, and had always planned on coaching after growing up a coaches son. Good for him. He's a good kid and will be a good coach one day.

Meier

I wish i could find it but back in about the mid 2000s Iowa had a DE named Matt Roth. I remember watching a game, Iowa/Minny if I remember right, in which Iowa had blocked an extra point. As soon as Iowa picked the ball up roth destroyed the kicker, one of the biggest hits I have ever seen.

andycapps

There's a petition for the NCAA to reinstate Kolton Houston. Not that they'd pay attention to such a thing but they should. Go here if you'd like to vote.

About 1k votes so far.

I bring you Rutgers Gonna Penn State Edition #3:

http://www.rutgers.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=641&tid=164480732&mid=164480732&sid=988&style=2

Apparently, there is a conspiracy theory against Rutgers by the media because the media dared to report that the two finalists for the AD position had some skeletons in their closet.

CONSPIRACY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've gotta say - for a region that supposedly doesn't care about college sports, the Northeast is giving the South a good run for its money in College Sports nuttery.

Draxal

I bring you Rutgers Gonna Penn State Edition #3:

http://www.rutgers.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=641&tid=164480732&mid=164480732&sid=988&style=2

Apparently, there is a conspiracy theory against Rutgers by the media because the media dared to report that the two finalists for the AD position had some skeletons in their closet.

CONSPIRACY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've gotta say - for a region that supposedly doesn't care about college sports, the Northeast is giving the South a good run for its money in College Sports nuttery.

Well, let's be real here ... how is Frazier's issue a controversy at all.

I'm much more salty about how poor our recruiting is atm.

For an athletic department mired in a scandal, any red flags are worth reporting. It's not a media conspiracy to say that his record isn't spotless.

bachikarn

You know why?

Stealth brag.

Pretty sure UF doesn't do that anymore. Can't afford it with budget cuts. Number of NMS is a factor in USNews rankings, which is why they all did it. Pretty dumb since the NMS qualifying score varies by state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom