• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Saw that yesterday. What a rocket.

I still hate baseball conference tournaments and think going 0-2 is the best strategy unless you don't have a host spot sewn up or have meager hopes for the postseason.

So what you're saying is that SCar purposefully tanked their two games in the SEC tourney?

impirius

So what you're saying is that SCar purposefully tanked their two games in the SEC tourney?
This year was the worst-case scenario: unlike the past few years, we could've used a win to solidify a host spot, so we threw our weekend starters on short rest and got bounced anyway. Stupid tournament!

cashman

Banned
1: holy shit we went more than 24 hours without a post.
2: holy shit actual cfb news

Angelo Di Carlo ‏@angdicarlowndu 9m
BREAKING: Notre Dame confirms to WNDU that quarterback Everett Golson is no longer enrolled at ND. They can’t say why due to privacy laws.

Talon

BREAKING: Notre Dame confirms to WNDU that quarterback Everett Golson is no longer enrolled at ND. They can’t say why due to privacy laws.
Whaaaaaaat?

ag-my001

WNDU said:
In a phone interview, university spokesman Dennis Brown told NewsCenter 16, "Federal and school privacy laws preclude us from issuing any further comment at this time."
Yep, screams FERPA to me, so cheating is a definite possibility. Might even use this with my high schoolers on Tuesday: exams start next week.

andycapps

So the rumor is he cheated on final exams. Oh god, where is that one crazy ND fan

here is an actual source that he's gone. Reason not given

http://www.wndu.com/home/headlines/Golson-out-ND-208970441.html
Paging any Domer for a meltdown.

impirius said:
This year was the worst-case scenario: unlike the past few years, we could've used a win to solidify a host spot, so we threw our weekend starters on short rest and got bounced anyway. Stupid tournament!

UGA fired their baseball coach, David Perno. Had some great years and they have a top college baseball program, whatever that is, so they should be able to get a good replacement. Cincinnati has been interviewing Perno. He had some rough luck with a couple players getting paralyzed. Baseball is limited to 11.something full ride scholarships. But the Hope scholarship makes UGA a really attractive place for coaches since they can get in state kids that have a 3.0 average on the Hope scholarship that they wouldn't have had room for on a full ride.

Zigzz14

Jesus fucking Christ can this off season get any worse?AAHHHHHH!!! I am pounding shots as we speak, I can't fucking believe this. Tommy Reese? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I just.....FUCK.

My boy still in school says word around campus is he plagiarized a finals paper and if he jumps through hoops he will be able to come back next year.

Start Zaire this year and take the lumps. He is a talent and our running game and defense should be just as good as last year. I just can't take a full season of Tommy.

Great decision by Kiel

Jesus fucking Christ can this off season get any worse?AAHHHHHH!!! I am pounding shots as we speak, I can't fucking believe this. Tommy Reese? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I just.....FUCK.

My boy still in school says word around campus is he plagiarized a finals paper and if he jumps through hoops he will be able to come back next year.

Start Zaire this year and take the lumps. He is a talent and our running game and defense should be just as good as last year. I just can't take a full season of Tommy.

Great decision by Kiel

He probably has no regrets

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Didn't that big time QB prospect, who burned LSU at the last second by signing with ND, and then transferred right after the BCS game (because he was going to be behind this QB for another couple of years)

Ooops :lol

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

loooolllllllllllllllllllllll

This makes my night!

NomarTyme

lol.

To add insult to injury, Alabama puts a curse on any team they beat in the MNC. Here's what has happened to teams after they lost to Alabama in the MNC

Texas:
Garrett Gilbert era begins, 5-7 season, Muschamp leaves for Florida, then 2 more seasons with less than 10 wins. And we haven't beaten our main rival since losing to Alabama

LSU:
Tyrann Matheiu kicked off team, Mettenberger fails to be the great passer they thought he would be, no BCS bowl invite, lose to Clemson in the Chick Fil A bowl funding homosexual hate groups.

Notre Dame:
Manti Teo gets his dick sucked by an imaginary woman who was actually a man embarrasses not only himself but the entire university making ND a punchline for comedians over the course of 2 months, the Pope resigns, Gunner Keil transfers, QB Golson violates University honor code and gets kicked out of the University...and we haven't even started the 2013 season so more is yet to come.

Feel free to add in events I have forgotten

mre

Great decision by Kiel
A quality post by a Domer. FINALLY. :p

If they let him back in after plagiarizing a final that kind of undercuts the whole academic superiority angle that ND likes to play.

And by undercuts the whole academic superiority angle that ND likes to play, I mean undercuts it even more than having Teo as a graduate.
To add insult to injury, Alabama puts a curse on any team they beat in the MNC. Here's what has happened to teams after they lost to Alabama in the MNC

Texas:
Garrett Gilbert era begins, 5-7 season, Muschamp leaves for Florida, then 2 more seasons with less than 10 wins. And we haven't beaten our main rival since losing to Alabama

LSU:
Tyrann Matheiu kicked off team, Mettenberger fails to be the great passer they thought he would be, no BCS bowl invite, lose to Clemson in the Chick Fil A bowl funding homosexual hate groups.

Notre Dame:
Manti Teo gets his dick sucked by an imaginary woman who was actually a man embarrasses not only himself but the entire university making ND a punchline for comedians over the course of 2 months, the Pope resigns, Gunner Keil transfers, QB Golson violates University honor code and gets kicked out of the University...and we haven't even started the 2013 season so more is yet to come.

Feel free to add in events I have forgotten
For Texas, don't forget the whole cameras on Colt McCoy during the NFL draft while he waits. And waits. And waits.

For LSU: half their damn defense declared for the draft this year. Then their stud RB, Hill, who is on probation for having carnal knowledge of a minor, violated his probation by battering an individual at a bar.

Finally, star recruit Eddie Vanderdoes has left ND at the alter and will not be enrolling.

There are also apparently rumors that Devaris Daniels has been kicked out as well, though that hasn't been confirmed, yet.
Thought I would check GAF while sitting in the Tokyo Narita Airport. Totally worth it.

How was your trip?

Tamanon

Banned
Did we get confirmation on Vanderdoes yet?

I remember the quote from his dad that made it seem like he wasn't going....

He added in the text, "let people speculate, but you will be the first to know, as always, when it's time to let people know."

I mean, that doesn't sound like someone who is sticking around.

mre

Random poster on Bama's 247 site started a thread with the title:
ND Site Confirming Vanderdoes " Will Not Enroll "
247's CEO and President, Shannon Terry has the first reply and says:
He all of a sudden wants to go to UCLA.
So it's confirmed, just not CONFIRMED.

It's quite possible that ND doesn't release Vanderdoes from his LOI, which means he'd have to pay his own way to UCLA as a preferred walk-on. People are not making good life choices at Notre Dame right now. As long as Tommy Rees doesn't run away from any cops this summer, he's a shoe in for starting quarterback. And that thought makes me physically ill. Nothing good can happen in the offseason, which is why I've avoided this thread like the plague.

No shit: they chose to attend Notre Dame.

So Golson would have made a better life choice by going to a university that didn't play in the national title game, but allowed their student athletes to plagiarize their final exams? As "bummed" as I am that ND lost their starting quarterback, I'm much happier as an alum and a university-level educator that he got caught and has to take responsibility for his actions.

Limedust

How was your trip?

3 weeks was a while to be away from wife and kids, but you do what you have to do.

This was my second trip to Eastern Asia in the past couple of months, and here are my brief observations:

- Service at every restaurant was superb. At least one waiter / waitress spoke passable English.

- Credit cards were widely accepted everywhere except for buses and taxis.

- Large discrepancies in cost, compared to the U.S. Chicken fingers in South Korea would run $15 at a fast food joint, but a 45 minute ride on a limo bus was only $6.

- The Asian culture in general does not respect personal space for anyone. It was normal to be standing in line and have the person behind me actually touching, for no good reason. I believe this aspect of culture ties directly to...

- Asians really are awful drivers. There is no right-of-way, yielding, or protected turns.

It was a good trip, and I completed all qualification testing on schedule, which is always good.

I think I finally found the avatar that describes me and the school accurately.

I guess for good measure I could change the bottle to a beer color.

Just to be up front - don't care about the Julie Hermann "scandal" issue.

Not surprised the school didn't do their due diligence. However, with that said, I really don't care about an issue that happened almost twenty years ago.

This time though, it's hilarious to see all the misogynistic boosters climb on the "FIRE HER" train, when they fought tooth and nail for Mulcahy & Pernetti. The boosters were never for Hermann, because to quote them, "How can a woman understand football?"

Draxal

Not surprised the school didn't do their due diligence. However, with that said, I really don't care about an issue that happened almost twenty years ago.

This time though, it's hilarious to see all the misogynistic boosters climb on the "FIRE HER" train, when they fought tooth and nail for Mulcahy & Pernetti. The boosters were never for Hermann, because to quote them, "How can a woman understand football?"

All I gotta say is Barchi has to go. Everything he has done has been a disaster, the faculty hate him, he has fucked up every pr move possible.

Normally it wouldn't be a big deal. I mean it was 20 years ago. Barchi had to know it would look bad given their specific circumstances though.

I heard this hire didn't even come from the search committee either. RU added her on its own.

Draxal

Normally it wouldn't be a big deal. I mean it was 20 years ago. Barichi had to know it would look bad given their specific circumstances though.

I heard this hire didn't even come from the search committee either. RU added her on its own.

Ayup, everything about this says it was a Barchi decision gone wrong. I wonder if Christie abandons him now as he's pretty much his handpicked guy to get the UDMNJ merger through.

Cowing to a special interest group bit them in the ass.

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/c...tml?page=all&scpromo=1&mobile=1&ic=1&iphone=1

Normally it wouldn't be a big deal. I mean it was 20 years ago. Barichi had to know it would look bad given their specific circumstances though.

I believe that Rutgers should approach this situation as if everything was "normal." The key isn't to win the press clippings award in the short term, it's to hire an AD who will put winning coaches in place to win games.

Draxal

I believe that Rutgers should approach this situation as if everything was "normal." The key isn't to win the press clippings award in the short term, it's to hire an AD who will put winning coaches in place to win games.

Not going to happen, Christie is going to step in; probably has to get rid of Barchi now as he has fucked up everything possible.

AntoneM

Worst off season in years. Can we start a Texas going independent rumor? How about the AZ schools going to the big 12? umm.... WAC to come back as a fcs fooball conference?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Been awhile since this statement has been used correctly, but it seems that Mark Richt has lost control of the Georgia Football Program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom