• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LosDaddie

Banned
So the first weekend of CFB should be awesome....if you're an SEC fan. VT vs Bama and UGA vs CU. Hopefully the ACC puts up a good fight.

I renewed my Sirius sub since they kept sending me those $25 for 6mos offers. I figured Bill King will have good CFB discussions during the season....at least better Mike & Mike.

Oh and OT: Looks like I'll be able to still post on GAF at my new job (like I'm doing right now). But damn, the workload is kinda scary.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Apparently, the sec coaches voted 13 to 1 for keeping the 8 sec game schedule, with Saban being the one voting for 9 games.

Course, the vote is more a recommendation, it has no actual power. That's the presidents vote.

cdyhybrid

Apparently, the sec coaches voted 13 to 1 for keeping the 8 sec game schedule, with Saban being the one voting for 9 games.

Course, the vote is more a recommendation, it has no actual power. That's the presidents vote.

I would think the Presidents would want a 9-game schedule. That conference game is probably cheaper and gets more eyeballs than playing whatever D2 team you would be beating up on otherwise.

AntoneM

Lol at Vandy (James Franklin) If this doesn't say "we suck" I don't know what does: "We'll go to nine and people will say, 'We don't have enough sexy out-of-conference games anymore, so you're going to have to play nine and another.' When's it going to stop? Two years from now they're going to say, 'You know, we probably ought to schedule an NFL team. You're probably going to have to play the Jets. You're going to have to play the Falcons.' Now we're going to play nine games and and an NFL team. When's it going to end?"

Welcome to the Pete Carroll era Pac 10.

andycapps

I agreed with Saban's comments about this, which was based around what fans want to see. I know that some are voting based on keeping the permanent cross rival and because they don't think it's changing this year anyway. Everyone knew it wasn't going to happen this year.

So the local sports station was talking about Miami sports fans and how they suck. They started pulling ticket prices for the Miami Hurricanes games, you can get tickets for the U vs Va tech for $5. Other games were $2-3. Pathetic.

So the local sports station was talking about Miami sports fans and how they suck. They started pulling ticket prices for the Miami Hurricanes games, you can get tickets for the U vs Va tech for $5. Other games were $2-3. Pathetic.

I have no clue why they gave up the Orange Bowl. I guess the capacity between the OB and Joe Robbie are similar, but I'm sure the location does UM no favors. That and their fanbase has been nothing but bandwagoners from the start.

The Dolphins really are the only team with a loyal following. But even that is being strained with a string of terrible ownership since the mid-late 1990s...

cdyhybrid

Ugh, Oregon's playing at 12:30 EST @ Virginia. Hate those early start times!

It's Virginia, so at least you can sleepwalk through the game and win by 30.

Edit:

Ivan Maisel podcast

Further, SEC blogger Chris Low, who's suffering on the white beaches of Destin, Fla., while covering the SEC meetings, reports that his conference is eventually headed to a nine-game conference schedule -- "nine games in the conference is coming," Low says.

Lonestar

I agreed with Saban's comments about this, which was based around what fans want to see. I know that some are voting based on keeping the permanent cross rival and because they don't think it's changing this year anyway. Everyone knew it wasn't going to happen this year.

We all know the permanent rivals aren't going anywhere. The UA/UT/UGA/AU faction is ironclad. It's buoyed with the Ole Miss/Miss State/UK/Vandy click, who don't want the "one game we're competitive in" game to go away.

The only negative to the 9 game schedule, will be the uneven home game schedules. Some will have 5, some will have 4. But there's no way out of this that includes "no bitching." There's always "unequality", in the eyes of Tiger Fans.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
We all know the permanent rivals aren't going anywhere. The UA/UT/UGA/AU faction is ironclad. It's buoyed with the Ole Miss/Miss State/UK/Vandy click, who don't want the "one game we're competitive in" game to go away.

The only negative to the 9 game schedule, will be the uneven home game schedules. Some will have 5, some will have 4. But there's no way out of this that includes "no bitching." There's always "unequality", in the eyes of Tiger* Fans.

*LSU Tigers, not the Auburn Tigers or the Missouri Tigers.

I can't wait for the first year under the 9 game schedule. I hope, hope, hope, that LSU gets 4 home games and Bama gets 5 that year. I'm going to start lighting a candle everyday just for that wish to come true.

cdyhybrid

I can't wait for the first year under the 9 game schedule. I hope, hope, hope, that LSU gets 4 home games and Bama gets 5 that year. I'm going to start lighting a candle everyday just for that wish to come true.

Isn't it really more like 7 home games vs. 8? :p

Lonestar

You know AU, when they are relevant, will increase it's bitching factor to LSU levels.

Draxal

I really wish the SEC took in Clemson, because the Tiger Pod would have amused me.

KingGondo

Banned
Awesome. Can't wait to see the piggie busses back in Lubbock. Will remind me of when I was a little kid. Those guys travel well and bring a fun attitude.
This post is entirely too positive.

I'm gonna leave this thread for a while, and when I come back I want to see some posts denigrating Arky and the SEC.

mre

Pristine:

Forgot to update you after my Lubbock visit. I didn't really time to walk around campus, which was disappointing, but the area around campus was nice and is going through a lot of renewal.

If I had to pick one word to describe Lubbock, it would be "flat."

We ended up working through lunch, so I didn't get to try any of your lunch suggestions. For dinner, we ate at Cafe J, which was fucking awesome. Highly recommend it. If you ever eat there, you have to try the Cream of Green Chili Soup. Best soup I have ever eaten. I canot recommend it any more.

Remember when we had Trojan fans?

That was weird.
No, but I remember when we had Trogan fans. Before Cyan started permabanning them.

This post is entirely too positive.

I'm gonna leave this thread for a while, and when I come back I want to see some posts denigrating Arky and the SEC.

I've got nothing. I'm happy with this. Sorry. Too many memories of the Southwest Conference.

Pristine:

Forgot to update you after my Lubbock visit. I didn't really time to walk around campus, which was disappointing, but the area around campus was nice and is going through a lot of renewal.

Yeah. As a lawyer, you'd dig this story. The Overton Park area where your hotel now stands, and most of the area around it, was the site of the largest privately-funded urban renewal project in U.S. history. One developer, Delbert McDougal, had the vision for the whole project in 1993, a complete purchase of over 900 parcels of land over 325 contiguous urban acres, demolition of everything except for the churches in the area and a few historic or otherwise significant buildings, and a rebuild as a "new urbanism" walking/biking type neighborhood for living/work/retail.

Most of that whole area was once nothing but cheap apartments, a few shabby motels, and small, run-down, cheaply-built postwar homes. It was always called North Overton technically, but nobody called it that. It was commonly known as the "Tech Ghetto." I lived there my first year at Tech. I owned a gun. It was so bad, that in 1999, after six years of planning and researching who owned what, McDougal began buying. He had easily bought up over 40% of the entire area for his redevelopment project in just 90 days, and nobody even realized it. Even after he came out to make his plan public, (in order to speed up the project and get the city involved in case eminent domain--which was used only four times for the whole project...all settled without the courts--would be required,) instead of having landowners holding him up for higher prices as one would expect, the opposite was true. Owners were still so willing to sell that the developer ran out of money and had to bring new bankers in to help him finance all the paper.

In Jan. 2002, demolition started, and by the end of the year, most of that whole side of the city was reduced to rubble, which had to all be carted off, as there was a lot of asbestos and lead and everything else you'd expect in mostly post-WWII construction. It looked really eerie there. Looking at the pictures of the town in Oklahoma devastated by the tornado made me think of it immediately. Complete destruction and desolation as far as the eye could see, yet in a city.

Pretty amazing to see the project winding down now and looking almost like it never happened, just a decade later. What you are seeing now is mostly the work of other developers building around McDougal's original project. For example, they are building an Alamo Draft House (a really amazing motion picture theater chain based in Austin that caters to film geeks in amazing ways) in Lubbock just across from the main campus, in another, smaller redevelopment project called North Slide Square.

The busy-bee developer who started all this is now doing a $1.2 billion overhaul of Downtown Lubbock, which is already quietly underway, and will likely get bigger as new investments are coming forward. First step is getting all the old power/telephone lines underground. The plans look amazing. The City of Lubbock is notoriously conservative (most would even say cheap) in terms of spending money, but they've done a good job moving these projects along and spending money for the future where it will surely be needed, like securing water for the next 100 years. With all the new oil/gas finds in the area, and all the money McDougal made on the ambitious Overton project, there will be no lack of private money for the project, for sure.

If I had to pick one word to describe Lubbock, it would be "flat."

Yup. It's the high plains. Think of it as basically being on top of a huge flat-topped mesa, geographically. Lots of people don't realize the altitude is so high either. 3,256 ft above sea level.

We ended up working through lunch, so I didn't get to try any of your lunch suggestions. For dinner, we ate at Cafe J, which was fucking awesome. Highly recommend it. If you ever eat there, you have to try the Cream of Green Chili Soup. Best soup I have ever eaten. I canot recommend it any more.

I've seen it many times, but always passed by. I know it's owned by the folks behind the Grapevine, which was really good. That soup sounds delicious. Thanks for the tip. Sorry you missed the 50-yd Line and Triple-J's Chophouse and Brewpub though.

Hope you had a good time, even though you were obviously busy working. Lubbock is a friendly place, and the coeds are top-shelf Texas.

No, but I remember when we had Trogan fans. Before Cyan started permabanning them.

LOL

The American Athletic Conference will be having a teleconference this morning to release the logos. USA Today managed to leak them out last night, though. I actually think they're ok. Minus the gradient.

USA Today

h1WTObw.jpg

There should also be team specific colors for these logos/wordmarks like some other conferences have done.

mre

I've seen it many times, but always passed by. I know it's owned by the folks behind the Grapevine, which was really good. That soup sounds delicious. Thanks for the tip. Sorry you missed the 50-yd Line and Triple-J's Chophouse and Brewpub though.

Hope you had a good time, even though you were obviously busy working. Lubbock is a friendly place, and the coeds are top-shelf Texas.
I pitched the 50 Yard Line, and our local counsel was considering Triple-J's, along with Cafe J and the Texas Tech Club (or whatever the restaurant was in in the football stadium). He really wanted to take us to the club in the stadium, but they were booked until later that night and we had a 6AM flight out, so early was best.

I think that local counsel frequent Cafe J a lot, so they opted for there. I'm sure we'll be in Lubbock more over the next few years, so I'll have plenty of chances to try the other places.

andycapps

The only negative to the 9 game schedule, will be the uneven home game schedules. Some will have 5, some will have 4. But there's no way out of this that includes "no bitching." There's always "unequality", in the eyes of Tiger Fans.

You bring up a good point. Home games are worth about $2 million to UGA, and many more millions to the community from all the big spenders coming to town. Not only is having home field an advantage to the team, but probably more importantly to each AD, it's a ton of money for them.

Not on this issue. Their Georgia game is part of the "problem" as well.

True, Auburn won't want it to go anywhere. I don't expect it to. I know Coach Richt has said it's very important to him to keep that rivalry at all costs. He doesn't care if they go to 9, but that game has to stay.

Why exactly is Les Miles so against playing UF every year? Is it because UF is good and it's another tough game? Cry me a river, Les.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Most of that whole area was once nothing but cheap apartments, a few shabby motels, and small, run-down, cheaply-built postwar homes. It was always called North Overton technically, but nobody called it that. It was commonly known as the "Tech Ghetto." I lived there my first year at Tech.

That place had been called the Tech Ghetto at least as far back as when my parents went to Tech in the '70s. It was unbelievably overdue for renovation.

How did you not live in dorms your first year at Tech? Did you have family to live with?

Why exactly is Les Miles so against playing UF every year? Is it because UF is good and it's another tough game? Cry me a river, Les.
Im not a big Les Miles fan but since 2000 LSU has played UGA and Florida 17 times. Alabama has played them 8 times. Playing more than twice as many games against the two best teams from the other division over a ten year period does seem a little unfair.

andycapps

Im not a big Les Miles fan but since 2000 LSU has played UGA and Florida 17 times. Alabama has played them 8 times. Playing more than twice as many games against the two best teams from the other division over a ten year period does seem a little unfair.

Well they're going to play UF every year, so that's 12 of those. UGA has played LSU 7 times since 2000 and 3 of those were championship games. Two games were in the same year (2003) due to a regular season matchup and then playing again in championship game. So I think the total is actually 19.

UGA has played Auburn and Alabama 17 times since 2000, so it goes both ways. The only school that has a legit gripe here should really be Tennessee. Just noticed that Tennessee played LSU and Bama in 2010 and 2011. LOL

Well they're going to play UF every year, so that's 12 of those. UGA has played LSU 7 times since 2000 and 3 of those were championship games. Two games were in the same year (2003) due to a regular season matchup and then playing again in championship game. So I think the total is actually 19.

UGA has played Auburn and Alabama 17 times since 2000, so it goes both ways. The only school that has a legit gripe here should really be Tennessee. Just noticed that Tennessee played LSU and Bama in 2010 and 2011. LOL
Yeah, and in the same time frame Florida has played LSU and Bama 17 times. The basic gist of it is that Auburn over the long run is not going to be nearly as good as LSU. Tennessee over the long run is not going to be nearly as good as Florida. By forcing teams into yearly games, some teams are going to get screwed. When the SEC eventually goes to a 9 game schedule this will mostly be fixed, but as of now Miles has a pretty decent argument.

andycapps

Yeah, and in the same time frame Florida has played LSU and Bama 17 times. The basic gist of it is that Auburn over the long run is not going to be nearly as good as LSU. Tennessee over the long run is not going to be nearly as good as Florida. By forcing teams into yearly games, some teams are going to get screwed. When the SEC eventually goes to a 9 game schedule this will mostly be fixed, but as of now Miles has a pretty decent argument.

Auburn and LSU are pretty close when you look at their overall records. But still, these games aren't going anywhere and I agree that when the SEC moves to a 9 game schedule, these arguments will go away (to be replaced by new ones).

Miles has a decent argument, but nobody else is whining about it, so it makes him look whiny. Like I said, if anybody has a reason to bitch, it's Tennessee.

Individual circular gradients in each letter? Dotting the capital I with a star? Are they trying to kill me?

It is unfortunate. Good thing, though, is I already saw some merchandise of the logo with our AD wearing a hat with the logo on it. Much, much better without the gradient. And shows some promise the gradient won't really survive on clothing at least.

Twatter Pic

Hilarious stuff from Ohio State president, Gordon Gee:

Gee, who has taken heat previously for uncouth remarks, told members of the council that he negotiated with Notre Dame officials during his first term at Ohio State, which began more than two decades ago.

"The fathers are holy on Sunday, and they're holy hell on the rest of the week," Gee said to laughter at the Dec. 5 meeting attended by Athletic Director Gene Smith and several other athletic department members, along with professors and students.

"You just can't trust those damn Catholics on a Thursday or a Friday, and so, literally, I can say that," said Gee, a Mormon.

During his comments to the Athletic Council, Gee also questioned the academic integrity of schools in the Southeastern Conference, and the University of Louisville.

The top goal of Big Ten presidents is to "make certain that we have institutions of like-minded academic integrity," Gee said. "So you won't see us adding Louisville," a member of the Big East conference that is also joining the ACC.

After a pause followed by laughter from the audience, Gee added that the Big Ten wouldn't add the University of Kentucky, either.

During the meeting, Gee also said he thought it was a mistake not to include Missouri and Kansas in earlier Big Ten expansion plans. Missouri has since joined the SEC.

"You tell the SEC when they can learn to read and write, then they can figure out what we're doing," Gee said, when asked by a questioner how to respond to SEC fans who say the Big Ten can't count because it now has 14 members.

Some other great comments include references to the Polish Army, Little Sisters of the Poor, and Jim Tressel. Comedy gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom