• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Louisville/Kentucky sentiment is probably shared by the rest of the Big 10 presidents. I guess this basically solidifies that the only expansion targets for the B1G in the South would be UNC/UVA or maybe Ga Tech.

I find it hilarious that Notre Dame's stated reason for never joining the Big Ten even in the modern era was the anti-Catholic blackballing they received from the conference in the 1920s. It's good to know that the BIG is at least consistent off the field.

The American Athletic Conference will be having a teleconference this morning to release the logos. USA Today managed to leak them out last night, though. I actually think they're ok. Minus the gradient.

USA Today

There should also be team specific colors for these logos/wordmarks like some other conferences have done.

So fucking awful. Gradients and more gradients.

Hilarious stuff from Ohio State president, Gordon Gee:

Some other great comments include references to the Polish Army, Little Sisters of the Poor, and Jim Tressel. Comedy gold.
Gee's verbal diarrhea continues.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
BLiOTz5CEAANkFp.jpg:large
Prepping for his "whining about schedules" climb.

Avatar has a mockup of a team specific colors. Looks much better. The gradients apparently are limited to electronic media I guess?

While a flat appearance should be on merchandise and print. I think I posted our AD with a hat on with the logo and it was much better since it had no gradient. It's growing on me. The team color ones, if they go with the color schemes I have seen, will look really nice.

Luckily for Gee, this is the summer of Rutgers.

I predict this Gee story disappears in two days and the media resumes its assault on Rutgers.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Guys, we need to have a vote.

There's a motion on the table to expel Menelaus from College Football GAF because of reasons.

All in favor, please vote "yay." There will be "nay"* votes taken.

*I had to resist the urge to post neigh after Menelaus' thread.

Draxal

This just adds fuel to the coming Rutgers-Mo Clarett U rivalry. We can call it the Presidential Gaffe Bowl.

It's the Steinbrenner Bowl, and the two do are doing a good job of aping him.

Anyone think Jim Delaney called Gee and told him to say something stupid to help out his future B1G brethren?

I agree with this theory.

Lonestar

Before getting interrupted by mre's vote ("yay" btw), I found this to be proof that Saban has succeeded in his original goal ("Of having your opponents to declare "they don't even want to play against you")

cdyhybrid

There's a motion on the table to expel Menelaus from College Football GAF because of reasons.

Neigh Nay.

I don't want this thread to become insular and exclude our beloved Gata lifelongs fans if we disapprove of their favorite exercise regimen.

andycapps

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=sec&id=64821&src=desktop

This is a tricky situation for the presidents because schools have vastly differing opinions about drug testing and what they deem is the right way to do it. As ESPN colleague Brett McMurphy points out, it shouldn't be as difficult for the schools to agree on punishment, but the amount of testing, type of testing and what is considered a positive test could all be viewed differently by each school.

There's also a sense that some schools are too lenient when it comes to testing, and maybe some schools think a new uniform policy could be too much.

SEC is considering a league wide drug policy. As you can imagine, Georgia is in favor and pushing pretty heavily.

cdyhybrid

WR James Johnson retires due to a wrist injury that caused him to miss last season and 4 other guys request and are granted a release from their scholarship to transfer. The four guys transferring were only spot contributors if they got on the field at all, so not a huge loss. Guess our crazy incoming WR class is going to be contributing right away.

We knew something like this was coming in order to make the scholarship numbers work, I just didn't think it would be this soon. The transfer guys probably saw the writing on the wall with regards to their playing time next season.

That place had been called the Tech Ghetto at least as far back as when my parents went to Tech in the '70s. It was unbelievably overdue for renovation.

How did you not live in dorms your first year at Tech? Did you have family to live with?

I was in Austin and I had taken some time off from college to tour with my band for three years. Over that time, I was also doing some location scouting and assisting in my downtime for a fashion photographer who had just moved to Texas from the Chicago market. I fell in love with the business and discovered I had an eye for it (I've always been an artist) so I transferred to Texas Tech as basically a third-year sophomore to study photography.

The reason I picked Tech to transfer to was because I liked the flexibility if the program which allowed a mix of commercial photography and fine art study, and my sister, who had graduated from Tech, gave me an inside track to get a good part-time job so I could support myself while I was there.

He made money by posting a video of himself squirting water up his ass on the internet.

I think that's a negative, but I am also pretty sure those type of shenanigans is what the Internet is for.

mre

He made money by posting a video of himself squirting water up his ass on the internet.

I think that's a negative, but I am also pretty sure those type of shenanigans is what the Internet is for.
someone post that "lol wut pear" picture, please.

I'd ask if it was too late to send the Aggies back to the Big 12, but I already know the answer to that. :(

Don't forget they embarrassed the country by talking about their weirdo ring obsession like it was a normal activity across the US to a buncha Europeans and Australians.

So no, you can keep em.

mre

Don't forget they embarrassed the country by talking about their weirdo ring obsession like it was a normal activity across the US to a buncha Europeans and Australians.

So no, you can keep em.
You know what, this is Texas' fault anyway. Assholes.

impirius

Avatar has a mockup of a team specific colors. Looks much better. The gradients apparently are limited to electronic media I guess?

While a flat appearance should be on merchandise and print. I think I posted our AD with a hat on with the logo and it was much better since it had no gradient. It's growing on me. The team color ones, if they go with the color schemes I have seen, will look really nice.

That's much better. The star is still kinda store-brand, though.

Lonestar

Alabama might need a new AD after Bill Battle's 2 recommendations for the Playoff Committee:

former Tennessee coach and AD Doug Dickey and former SEC commissioner and Tennessee native Roy Kramer

Reverse-Dave Hart

Right now there are two yay votes for exiling mre from CFB island (me, Cyan) and zero nay votes.

The odds are looking for slim for mre now.

Menelaus, on the other hand, looks like he's going to stick around.

mre

Right now there are two yay votes for exiling mre from CFB island (me, Cyan) and zero nay votes.

The odds are looking for slim for mre now.

Menelaus, on the other hand, looks like he's going to stick around.

I'll go with the will of the people. Keep in mind, however, that we are not taking Nay votes for the vote on Menelaus.

mcgruber

Don't know if the numbers will work out with the 6-1-1 schedule in the sec, but wouldn't making the 9th game neutral site solve the issue of 5 vs 4 home games?

andycapps

Don't know if the numbers will work out with the 6-1-1 schedule in the sec, but wouldn't making the 9th game neutral site solve the issue of 5 vs 4 home games?

Doubt that would happen. Some people will have more home games than others in certain years but on a year to year basis it should all balance out. They'll cry about it for the first year, but they'll appreciate those added home games and the amount of money it brings in. Neutral site wouldn't help anyone's bottom line.

Garryk

After this season, the Arkansas-A&M game will move back to Jerry's World so we will have an uneven amount of home-away games. I don't see 4/5 or 5/4 being a problem.

mre

Also, there aren't enough quality neutral site locations to do this within the geographical proximity of the two teams who would be playing.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
looks like Phillip Sims couldn't cut it at UVA either

Good, we can count on UVA for another win. I think we can qualify for a bowl again this year.

Too bad about Sims. I won't get to see him bust out the spinarooni on his next rushing touchdown.

Draxal

Oh man this situation at Rutgers is not good. I thought it might have ended yesterday with all the ex governors saying lay off Barchi, but I think this emboldened press even more.

cdyhybrid

Trustees: Gee 'embarrassed' Ohio St.

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Ohio State University's top trustees say insensitive comments by the university president have embarrassed and divided the university.

The trustees say in a letter to president Gordon Gee that his comments risk diminishing the collective efforts of the university and of Gee's own good work.

The March 11 letter was obtained Friday by The Associated Press.

It lays out several steps Gee must take following the revelation of remarks he made last year jabbing Notre Dame, Roman Catholics and the Southeastern Conference.

Those steps include issuing personal apologies and getting help from professionals to revisit Gee's personal communications and speechwriting processes.

Trustee chairman Robert Schottenstein and trustee Alex Shumate, who led the search committee that hired Gee in 2007, also say Gee must reprioritize what speaking engagements he accepts.

Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press

:jnc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom