• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Lots of little SEC nuggets from the meetings:

Will continue the 6-1-1 schedule the next 2 years, while they talk about changing it for 2016+, and the share for each of the 14 schools is 20.7 Million Dollars

@AlligatorArmy
And the $20.7M distributedSEC revenue distribution in 2009: $132.5M. In 2013: $289.4M. More than doubled in four years without a proprietary network?

And the $20.7M distributed to each school is more than the $20.6M TOTAL from 1991?

SEC's Slive coming out strong in favor of $4k yearly stipend for all scholarship athletes. All five big conferences support this.

SEC wants to take responsibility for picking teams away from the bowls in future years. Big change. Bowls draft now.

In 1980 the SEC distributed $4.1 million to its members. By 2013 that number is $289.4. Amazing money growth.

Georgia president Michael Adams says conference drug-testing policy is tabled & he's in the minority wanting it.

Big 12 gave half-shares to new members. RT @ClayTravisBGID: A&M prez on SEC payout this year: "When you get a whole list of numbers and they're all equal, that's nice to see."

A&M prez when asked if he had any comments on Texas: "I don't have to anymore. It's not relevant to us anymore."

Call it inflation, call it whatever, but call it what it is: $$$$$$$

cdyhybrid

SEC's Slive coming out strong in favor of $4k yearly stipend for all scholarship athletes. All five big conferences support this.

NCAA starting to sweat!

SEC wants to take responsibility for picking teams away from the bowls in future years. Big change. Bowls draft now.

Does this mean the conference would choose which team to send to each bowl the conference has a contract with?

Lonestar

Sounds more like No Contract to the bowls, and no more "drafting" meaning no more "and heeeeeere's Connecticut!"

Could be a shot at the Rose Bowl and the B1G/PAC lock.

cdyhybrid

Yes and it sounds HILARIOUS.

It's an interesting idea. I'd be interested in trying it given we kept the 1-win cushion and guaranteed champions' spot in the Rose Bowl.

Sounds more like No Contract to the bowls, and no more "drafting" meaning no more "and heeeeeere's Connecticut!"

Could be a shot at the Rose Bowl and the B1G/PAC lock.

Can't blame Slive for doing anything he can to get into the Rose Bowl!

ib0yRPvriVMeAg.gif

Talon

It's an interesting idea. I'd be interested in trying it given we kept the 1-win cushion and guaranteed champions' spot in the Rose Bowl.
Incoming seven straight years of some combination of Northwestern/Vanderbilt/UCB games.

Who am I kidding? Berkley ain't getting back to bowl games in the next year!

Draxal

Incoming seven straight years of some combination of Northwestern/Vanderbilt/UCB games.

Man, it's going to be Rutgers vs Syracuse at the Yankees Bowl for eternity. God help us (both RU fans and Cuse fans).

Lonestar

Can't blame Slive for doing anything he can to get into the Rose Bowl!

ib0yRPvriVMeAg.gif

Alabama used to own the Rose Bowl so much, we put it in the school's fight song!

cdyhybrid

We travel well and pull TV numbers so I don't have anything to worry about :D

Alabama used to own the Rose Bowl so much, we put it in the school's fight song!

I'd just be excited to see an SEC team play a game outside of the South!

Lonestar

We travel well and pull TV numbers so I don't have anything to worry about :D

I'd just be excited to see an SEC team play a game outside of the South!

I know Alabama's been to Dallas, Oklahoma, BYU, Hawaii and UCLA once in the last 15 years. Does that count? Also, Rose Bowl in 2009. It's just that Alabama is currently on it's "kill the B1G, 1 team at a time" tour, with Wisconsin and MSU in the next few years. We'll get back out there after 2020!

Not included in the $289.4 million was $14.1 million retained by the institutions participating in bowls and $980,000 divided among all 14 institutions by the NCAA for academic enhancement.

Revenues derived by the institutions from its local media packages are not included in the total amount.

Other yearly money distributions, since 1980, are as follows: 1980 ($4.1 million);
1981 ($5.57 million);
1982 ($7.24 million);
1983 ($9.53 million);
1984 ($18.4 million);
1985 ($9.34 million);
1986 ($13.1 million);
1987 ($13.56 million);
1988 ($14.34 million);
1989 ($13.85 million);
1990 ($16.3 million);
1991 ($20.6 million);
1992 ($27.7 million);
1993 ($34.34 million);
1994 ($34.36 million);
1995 ($40.3 million);
1996 ($45.5 million);
1997 ($58.9 million);
1998 ($61.2 million);
1999 ($68.5 million);
2000 ($73.2 million);
2001 ($78.1 million);
2002 ($95.7 million);
2003 ($101.9 million);
2004 ($108.8 million);
2005 ($110.7 million);
2006 ($116.1 million);
2007 ($122.0 million);
2008 ($127.6 million);
2009 ($132.5 million);
2010 ($209.0 million);
2011 ($219.9 million);
2012 ($244.0 million);
2013 ($289.4 million).

cdyhybrid

You already got a good look at LSU last year, homey.

That was in Baton Rouge. Though they came up here in '09.

I know Alabama's been to Dallas, Oklahoma, BYU, Hawaii and UCLA once in the last 15 years. Does that count? Also, Rose Bowl in 2009. It's just that Alabama is currently on it's "kill the B1G, 1 team at a time" tour, with Wisconsin and MSU in the next few years. We'll get back out there after 2020!

Yeah, you guys do travel decently. Was more talking about the Gatas :p

Lonestar

Take a listen to Gee's comments for yourselves!

1:28: “My view, very candidly — and I’ve said this to you before and I’m not certain if [athletic director] Gene [Smith] shares this, we haven’t really talked about this — but I think we’re moving precipitously toward about three or four superconferences of about 16 to 20 teams. And the possibility of them bolting from the NCAA is not unlikely.”

• 3:07: “And I want to make it very clear, we have never invited Notre Dame to join the Big Ten. And the reason is the fact that they — first of all they’re not very good partners. I’ll just say that. I negotiated with them during my first term and the fathers are holy on Sunday and they’re holy hell on the rest of the week. You just can’t trust those damn Catholics on a Thursday or Friday. Literally, I can say that.”

• 4:56: “[The addition of Maryland and Rutgers to the Big Ten] gives us 40 to 50 million more viewers, makes the BTN worth more money than God. I did say that. It’s a very powerful instrument for us.”

• 6:05: “The blocking strategy is that we simply have now put the ACC in an almost no-win position. So who do they immediately go to? Louisville. They may think about Cincinnati. They may think about Connecticut. But they’ve lost their foothold in that middle part of the area, in that middle part of the Atlantic coast.”

• 9:14: “I think the Big Ten needs to be predatory and positive rather than waiting for other people to take away from them. Very candidly, I think we made a mistake. Because thought about adding Missouri and Kansas at the time. There was not a great deal of enthusiasm about that. I think we should have done that at the time. So we would have had Nebraska, Missouri, Kansas and then moved into that other area. I think, by the way, that that can still happen.”

• 9:42: “I also think this. This is a high possibility. If the ACC continues to struggle, and Florida State goes off to the SEC or something like that, and Clemson moves in a different direction, all of a sudden Virginia and Duke, which are very similar institutions to — and North Carolina — which are very similar institutions to the Big Ten, there is a real possibility that we may end up having that kind of T which goes south. And I could see them joining us. And I could see them having a real interest in joining us.”

• 11:03: “You know Penn State just abhors Pitt. It would be the same way. Even though we love Cincinnati as a city, we want it to be an Ohio State city. They’d have to take Gene out and shoot him to let Cincinnati into the Big Ten. There are some things that we just would not to. And that’s the way that Penn State also feels about Pitt.”

• 11:49: “I would see potentially Missouri and Kansas. By the way it goes without saying this all has to be speculation that remains right here. And I could also see a T that goes south all according to what happens with the ACC, but we need to be ready to move.”

• 14:30: “Someone was saying to me, well, you know, Bret Bielema leaving … that was a blessing for Wisconsin and they knew it. Because he was under tremendous pressure. They didn’t like him. Barry Alvarez thought he was a thug. And he left just ahead of the sheriff.”

• 18:44: “The smaller schools in the Divisions II and III, which have substantial power but no power in terms of television draw or anything else, they have increasingly become rigid about the way that we change some of the rules in support of the revenue-generating institutions. And eventually that’s gonna drive us all into a new kind of a configuration. And that’s where I think we’re going.”

• 19:52: “I think the presidents of the institutions are very clear that their number one criteria is to make sure that we have institutions of like-minded academic integrity. So you won’t see us adding Louisville … or the University of Kentucky.”

• 23:44: “The NCAA is a cacophony and it’s not a chorus. Until we can get a chorus, we’re not going to be able to deal with this arms race in the right way I think.”

• 24:54: “Well you tell the SEC when they can learn to read and write then they can figure out what we’re doing. I’ve been down there. I was the chairman of the Southeastern Conference for two years. I’ll tell you something. It’s shameful. It really is.”

"Brett Bielema STRAIGHT UP THUGGING IT, YO"

cdyhybrid

Aggie fleeing from USC and Oregon

The Aggies have no such "national" game this season, but four years ago then-athletic director Bill Byrne announced A&M was adding contests against powerhouses Southern Cal (in 2015 and '16) and Oregon (2018 and '19).

Those games are no longer part of A&M's plans, Hyman said, because "having switched from the Big 12 to the SEC, we've had to scrub our whole schedule - throw it almost out. Going forward, we've had conversations with people, but we really can't be contractually (obligated) until the conference says you've got the green light."

They confirmed that the series is still on today, but that probably just means they haven't gotten around to cancelling it yet.

cashman

Banned
The most surprising thing I've learned from this thread is that enough people care about Rutgers athletics to form an insane sports board.

Draxal

The most surprising thing I've learned from this thread is that enough people care about Rutgers athletics to form an insane sports board.

There's an insane sport board for pretty much every team. I'm pretty sure Golden could link us to the UCF crazy board.

F
U
C
K

Texas Tech coach Kliff Kingsbury said senior flanker Javon Bell, who missed all of spring ball for academic reasons, is no longer on the team. His Tech career appears to be over.

The speedy junior-college transfer played in four games last season, catching 17 passes for 269 yards and a touchdown before he suffered a broken foot that ended his season.

At the time he went down, Bell led the team in receiving yards and was three off the team lead in receptions.

Junior Bradley Marquez goes into the summer as the starter at the position Bell played, backed by redshirt freshman Reginald Davis.

Marquez is a stud, but is coming off knee surgery. Davis sounds like he's good, but hasn't been tested at all. This was supposed to be Bell's year, and it sounds like that's not gonna happen.

F
U
C
K

Marquez is a stud, but is coming off knee surgery. Davis sounds like he's good, but hasn't been tested at all. This was supposed to be Bell's year, and it sounds like that's not gonna happen.

Oh well, next year you guys will have the notorious Amaro playing TE to make plays. I still don't know if the guy actually exists, but you and the other resident Tech fan consistently raved about him in about all of those long Tech writeups only 2 people read.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
U
C
K

This is no surprise at all. He hasn't been expected back for several months now, confirmation of the fact barely caused a batted eye. Don't count on Lauderdale making it in, either, though that of course isn't 100% yet.

Interestingly, Jordan Davis earned a scholarship, probably took Bell's. As far as the new guys Dylan Cantrell should be a beast but he'll be an inside guy. I'm not too worried about finding somebody on the outside that can play opposite Ward between Edwards, Davis, Fisher, Polite-Bray, and Moore (and Wheeler though he's still awfully light on the scale), while IR should be stacked as hell. If the OL can hold up our great depth at IR and RB should open up the outside.

This is no surprise at all. He hasn't been expected back for several months now, confirmation of the fact barely caused a batted eye. Don't count on Lauderdale making it in, either, though that of course isn't 100% yet.

Interestingly, Jordan Davis earned a scholarship, probably took Bell's. As far as the new guys Dylan Cantrell should be a beast but he'll be an inside guy. I'm not too worried about finding somebody on the outside that can play opposite Ward between Edwards, Davis, Fisher, Polite-Bray, and Moore (and Wheeler though he's still awfully light on the scale), while IR should be stacked as hell. If the OL can hold up our great depth at IR and RB should open up the outside.

I heard Lauderdale was fine. He just had some extra classwork to finish up a while back and that made people nervous, but he got it done.

This was confirmed (sorta) on Tech Talk when somebody said that the only guy that was really questionable among the recruits was Bennett.

Yup. Cantrell will be a stud. I followed him all this year really closely. But you're right, he's an inside guy all the way. He just doesn't have the flat-out field-stretching "top gear" speed and/or height we'd want on the corners.

I'm not worried about depth at WR. Just pissed that Bell couldn't get his shit together with all the help Tech offers. What a waste.

Have you heard anything about OTs and DTs? Any JUCOs to help with depth?

Oh well, next year you guys will have the notorious Amaro playing TE to make plays. I still don't know if the guy actually exists, but you and the other resident Tech fan consistently raved about him in about all of those long Tech writeups only 2 people read.

TE Jace Amaro started only six games his So yr before his injury...and yet:

STATS:

25 receptions
409 receiving yards
4 touchdowns
58.4 receiving yards avg. per game
16.4 yards avg. per catch (most by a Red Raider [with at least 10 REC] since 2008)

AWARDS:

ESPN All-Big 12 (1st Team)
Dallas Morning News All-Big 12 (Honorable Mention)
All-Big 12 (2nd Team)
Midseason College Football News All-America (2nd Team)
Midseason Phil Steele All-Big 12 (1st Team)
Midseason CBS Sports All-Big 12 (1st Team)
College Football Performance Award - National Tight End of the Week (10/15)
College Football Performance Award - Hon. Mention National Tight End of the Week (9/17)

(Look at the last two awards. Dude started six games. That means one out of every three games he started in, he was either named best in his position or hon. mention best in his position for the whole nation.)

He exists. I wouldn't be too proud of your own lack of knowledge though, if I were you. NFL scouts know who he is. Maybe if you read our "long write-ups," instead of bitching about them, you'd be able to identify one of the best players in the Big12 conference.

TE Jace Amaro started only six games his So yr before his injury...and yet:

STATS:

25 receptions
409 receiving yards
4 touchdowns
58.4 receiving yards avg. per game
16.4 yards avg. per catch (most by a Red Raider [with at least 10 REC] since 2008)

AWARDS:

ESPN All-Big 12 (1st Team)
Dallas Morning News All-Big 12 (Honorable Mention)
All-Big 12 (2nd Team)
Midseason College Football News All-America (2nd Team)
Midseason Phil Steele All-Big 12 (1st Team)
Midseason CBS Sports All-Big 12 (1st Team)
College Football Performance Award - National Tight End of the Week (10/15)
College Football Performance Award - Hon. Mention National Tight End of the Week (9/17)

(Look at the last two awards. Dude started six games. That means one out of every three games he started in, he was either named best in his position or hon. mention best in his position for the whole nation.)

He exists. I wouldn't be too proud of your own lack of knowledge though, if I were you. NFL scouts know who he is. Maybe if you read our "long write-ups," instead of bitching about them, you'd be able to identify one of the best players in the Big12 conference.

:tldr

if he's not on the injured list when Tech plays at Texas I'll revert back to this post.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I heard Lauderdale was fine. He just had some extra classwork to finish up a while back and that made people nervous, but he got it done.

This was confirmed (sorta) on Tech Talk when somebody said that the only guy that was really questionable among the recruits was Bennett.

I believe Level or Dickens said recently it was the SAT that is the holdup, they're waiting for results on that.

::edit::
It was Aaron Dickens, said on 5/28 that the last time they talked to him he said they were waiting on his SAT.

andycapps

Not a good college baseball thread other than the postseason one, so will post here. UGA is hiring Scott Stricklins from Kent State. They've made the NCAA tournament 5 times while he's been there and the World Series once. Was an assistant at GT before when they had some good success. Record at Kent State since 2005 was 350-188.

This is probably the best hire UGA could have made for that and definitely who I was hoping for.

Dick move by Bielema. ^ just because Gee is an ass doesn't mean he should lower himself to that level.

I believe Level or Dickens said recently it was the SAT that is the holdup, they're waiting for results on that.

::edit::
It was Aaron Dickens, said on 5/28 that the last time they talked to him he said they were waiting on his SAT.

Huh. That's not the info I had at all. I wonder when the last time Dickens talked to him was?

Have you heard anything about Bennett?

Anything about JUCOs coming in on the lines?

I just watched that damn NeoGAF documentary, and not one mention of the most important niche of all GAF, CFB-GAF? Fucking Denis Dyack ruins everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom