• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I just watched that damn NeoGAF documentary, and not one mention of the most important niche of all GAF, CFB-GAF? Fucking Denis Dyack ruins everything.

yeah, I called out jstevenson in the topic on it. Haven't been back to see if he realizes the mistake he made.

Lonestar

Just for knowledge purposes, know that Jaffe is an Auburn supporter (apparently from Birmingham). Adjust your opinions accordingly!!

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Huh. That's not the info I had at all. I wonder when the last time Dickens talked to him was?

Have you heard anything about Bennett?

Anything about JUCOs coming in on the lines?

Hadn't heard anything bad about Bennett, though he's only played OL for one year so he may not be ready to play next season anyway.

Assuming you already know about DE Andre Ross signing three weeks ago or so for the 2013 class, nothing much as far as JUCOs.

Draxal

HUGE CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT NEWS.

John Hopkins to Big tomorrow.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Right in the feels, man.

Nah, I had some idea what was coming after some jackhole dropped a spoiler. Was still pretty shocking how it went down.

Ohhh... you're a non-book reader, Game of Thrones watcher. Wait until you get to the part where Tywin loses his shit, starts to think that he's a woman named Mrs. Tinklefeathers, and forces Joffrey to wear a dress to
tea parties
because he's such a "pretty girl."

GRRM is one sick puppy, man.

Let me know if I need to put some spoiler tags up on that.

Schmitty

Ohhh... you're a non-book reader, Game of Thrones watcher. Wait until you get to the part where Tywin loses his shit, starts to think that he's a woman named Mrs. Tinklefeathers, and forces Joffrey to wear a dress to tea parties because he's such a "pretty girl."

Dude, come on, don't ruin the 4th book for them!

andycapps

Ohhh... you're a non-book reader, Game of Thrones watcher. Wait until you get to the part where Tywin loses his shit, starts to think that he's a woman named Mrs. Tinklefeathers, and forces Joffrey to wear a dress to
tea parties
because he's such a "pretty girl."

I'm glad that I haven't watched the most recent season at all yet. Now I can plow through the whole thing. I can guess what the end of season thing was since I've read the books, but I won't.

Garryk

GoT talk? GoT talk.

I seriously can't comprehend what it would be like watching this show without having read the books first.

EDIT: I imagine it might be like turning on the radio one day and finding out the Wisconsin coach quit his job to come coach your football team.

andycapps

GoT talk? GoT talk.

I seriously can't comprehend what it would be like watching this show without having read the books first.

EDIT: I imagine it might be like turning on the radio one day and finding out the Wisconsin coach quit his job to come coach your football team.

It could be worse, you could be a Tennessee fan.

Draxal

It could be worse, you could be a Tennessee fan.

Or have your college in complete chaos because of the 1996 Tennesee Vols volleyball team.

Man, Rutgers is a comedy of errors right now.

Not blaming the volleyball players one bit, this is 100% on Rutgers right now

Lonestar

watching GoT without having read it (or know what's coming) must be like being a current Tennessee fan. Cause it sure feels like what it used to feel like for Alabama fans, circa 1996-2007.

mre

Or have your college in complete chaos because of the 1996 Tennesee Vols volleyball team.

Man, Rutgers is a comedy of errors right now.

Not blaming the volleyball players one bit, this is 100% on Rutgers right now

What does volleyball have to do with the mess at Rutgers?

Draxal

What does volleyball have to do with the mess at Rutgers?

Our new AD was the former head coach of the Tennessee Vols volleyball team. She resigned in 1996 after the team revolted due to her heavy handed practices (she wasn't nearly as abusive as Rice). Not exactly the person you want to hire after you fuck up the Eddie Jordan hire (oh we can't even check with our own registrar to make sure he's a graduate) and after Ricegate.

Limedust

GoT talk? GoT talk.

I've read the books, but the wife hasn't. Last night she looked at me after the show was over and said, " Well... can't say I was expecting that to happen."

Lonestar

I've read the books, but the wife hasn't. Last night she looked at me after the show was over and said, " Well... can't say I was expecting that to happen."

You should have reminded her, of that time you got depressed, was after you read that part. Unless you just internalized it all.

Limedust

You should have reminded her, of that time you got depressed, was after you read that part. Unless you just internalized it all.

We didn't meet until January of 2004.

1996 - Game of Thrones
1998 - Clash of Kings
2000 - Storm of Swords
2005 - Feast for Crows
2011 - Dance with Dragons

Remeber when George published the next book in the series every other year?

Lonestar

I didn't really start reading the books till right at Season 1. Hell, it's more like "skimming" than reading. When I first heard of the "low points" I decided: "ahh, it's gonna be like that Georgie. Well, I'm just gonna skim and spoil it for myself, to save me the emotional baggage."

Just too much detail into meaningless things (800 course meals!), and too many small characters.

Cyan, just know that I begged people in the book thread to not go into the No Book Spoilers thread. Twice, even!

But in my heart of hearts I knew it wasn't going to keep people like Amir0x out. :\

I watch game of thrones without ever reading the books. Shits crazy confusing.

Also I'm in South Carolina this whole week. Wheres spuurrrrrrrrieeeeer

Draxal

Wait Cyan,

You've read a Wheel of Time but haven't read AGOT; or are you just doing your mod duties?

Anyway, I can't watch the show; it just goes against my notions of the books too much even though it isn't the show's fault.

LosDaddie

Banned
I haven't read any of the books, but I'm current on GoT on HBO. Actually, I passed out too early last night and haven't watched the most recent episode.

I try to stay out of the GoT threads here because GAF will be GAF and someone will spoil it.

mre

I've read WoT (well, I'm midway through the final book) but not ASoIaF, yes. When I first heard of ASoIaF, I was already elbow-deep in WoT and didn't want to get into another endless fantasy series where you have to wait years for the next book.

Not to mention the risk of getting involved in another fantasy series written by an author of questionable health who is plodding along in his production of the books.

Also, what is a Trojan? Surely you meant Trogan.

KingGondo

Banned
I'm not too worried about GRRM dying. And even if he does, I'm sure he has enough notes that someone else can finish the series.

I'm also unreasonably excited for the GRRM-arillion. The pre-ASOIAF history of Westeros is fascinating.

Garryk

I'm not too worried about GRRM dying. And even if he does, I'm sure he has enough notes that someone else can finish the series.

I'm also unreasonably excited for the GRRM-arillion. The pre-ASOIAF history of Westeros is fascinating.

I remember reading that he has told HBO how he wants to end the series since he is most likely going to be lapped by them.

Draxal

I've read WoT (well, I'm midway through the final book) but not ASoIaF, yes. When I first heard of ASoIaF, I was already elbow-deep in WoT and didn't want to get into another endless fantasy series where you have to wait years for the next book.

I hear you, currently reading ASoIaF reminds me of reading the later middle books of WoT; too much worldbuilding too many povs not enough action.

KingGondo

Banned
I remember reading that he has told HBO how he wants to end the series since he is most likely going to be lapped by them.
I'm sure his editors know too, and I'm also sure he has copious notes on the final 2 books. Besides, I'm serious when I say I wouldn't be upset if he died tomorrow. Guy has given the world an amazing gift with what he's written already.

In actual CFB news, Kyle Allen (5* QB from California) just picked Aggy over OSU, UCLA, ND, and Maurice Clarett University.

I liked Aggy more when they sucked.

I'm sure his editors know too, and I'm also sure he has copious notes on the final 2 books. Besides, I'm serious when I say I wouldn't be upset if he died tomorrow. Guy has given the world an amazing gift with what he's written already.

In actual CFB news, Kyle Allen (5* QB from California) just picked Aggy over OSU, UCLA, ND, and Maurice Clarett University.

I liked Aggy more when they sucked.

I honestly don't know how a recruit could visit Aggieland and want to spend four years there.

John Hopkins to Big tomorrow.
And confirmed. Even though I dreamed about it back in the pre-Nebraska B1G days, I'm disappointed since adding Maryland and Rutgers left the B1G only one school shy of a lax conference on it's own with at least four decent options that could've added lax, and since the Hopkins women are staying on course to go independent. Still, with JHU and 2013 tournament participants Maryland, OSU, and PSU, the ACC elitists who laughed at Maryland leaving their elite "conference" can suck it. B1G lax has the potential to be as dominant as B1G hockey
2012-13 doesn't count

KingGondo

Banned
Seriously. After all the pointing and laughing I did, I'm gonna be annoyed if the SEC move actually ends up working out for them. :/
To be fair, they lucked out supremely when they got Manziel, but all they needed was that one good year and now the recruiting is unstoppable.

W1SSY

Just gonna put this here and back out slowly.
BL3FSchCAAIAytC.jpg

LosDaddie

Banned
And confirmed. Even though I dreamed about it back in the pre-Nebraska B1G days, I'm disappointed since adding Maryland and Rutgers left the B1G only one school shy of a lax conference on it's own with at least four decent options that could've added lax, and since the Hopkins women are staying on course to go independent. Still, with JHU and 2013 tournament participants Maryland, OSU, and PSU, the ACC elitists who laughed at Maryland leaving their elite "conference" can suck it. B1G lax has the potential to be as dominant as B1G hockey
2012-13 doesn't count

I have no idea what you just said. Lax? Hockey? WTF is that?

jagowar

To be fair, they lucked out supremely when they got Manziel, but all they needed was that one good year and now the recruiting is unstoppable.

The funny thing is nobody expected him to actually start.... it was a virtual lock that jameill showers would be the starter at spring ball but something happened over that summer and manziel came back from summer as a completely different player and everybody knows the rest.

I still don't know why the other big12 and texas teams ever allowed us to go.... letting the sec into texas was a horrible mistake even if we moved and continued to suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom