• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Limedust

ATT U-Verse question:

I have U-300, but the LHN (in standard definition) is no longer available. I'm pretty sure that it was in the past. Anybody else have this tier that can confirm?

andycapps

That's like saying you're short on festering wounds on your penis...

I like to think of them as the friends you have as a kid that make up stories all the time, but nobody in your circle of friends takes seriously. They're there for entertainment.

hey guy's, planetside 2 coming to PS4. Sign up!

Now, to go collect my Station Cash for this advertisement!

RAWL TAHD

ATT U-Verse question:

I have U-300, but the LHN (in standard definition) is no longer available. I'm pretty sure that it was in the past. Anybody else have this tier that can confirm?

I don't know who is who now, avatar changes or something.

Also, I think the LHN was bumped due to Ole Miss paying a bunch of money to.. someone.

ATT U-Verse question:

I think thats what we have. Does your package come with Showtime? LHN SD is on channel 609 for me.

ATT U-Verse question:

That's what I have and did have Lhn in sd. I'm on vacation until Sunday though so I'm unable to check.

Speaking of networks that struggle to get providers, any word on how many providers will pick up the new FOX sports 1 network? On week 1, they are already slated to exclusively air:

Utah St. @ Utah
NDSU @ Kansas State
Nicholls St. @ Oregon
Boise St. @ Washington

I hate how new sports networks are created each year now. Last year it was Comcast Sports and I still can't watch the Rockets/Astros play because the only provider that carries them is...Comcast. If I switched to Comcast, I wouldn't get LHN. There is no right answer

mcgruber

Speaking of networks that struggle to get providers, any word on how many providers will pick up the new FOX sports 1 network? On week 1, they are already slated to exclusively air:

Utah St. @ Utah
NDSU @ Kansas State
Nicholls St. @ Oregon
Boise St. @ Washington

I hate how new sports networks are created each year now. Last year it was Comcast Sports and I still can't watch the Rockets/Astros play because the only provider that carries them is...Comcast. If I switched to Comcast, I wouldn't get LHN. There is no right answer

why would you want to watch the astros? are they still on pace to lose 100 games?

why would you want to watch the astros? are they still on pace to lose 100 games?

Because those uniforms are pretty awesome.

Also, I hope they do suck. If you suck in Major League Baseball, you might as well go for full suck: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9273233/hoarding-prospects-being-horrible-houston-astros

But the difference between what the Astros were allotted with the no. 1 overall pick ($7.2 million) and what the Twins were allotted at no. 2 ($6.2 million) was a full million dollars.

Only this year, the advantage spreads to signing amateur talent on the international market as well. While there is no draft on foreign amateurs — yet — each team has a firm cap on how much money it can spend to sign kids from Latin America and other markets.4 Those caps are determined by "draft order" even though there is no draft. The upshot is that the Astros have $400,000 more to spend than the Chicago Cubs, who lost 101 games, and the gap only grows from there.

Because those uniforms are pretty awesome.

Also, I hope they do suck. If you suck in Major League Baseball, you might as well go for full suck: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9273233/hoarding-prospects-being-horrible-houston-astros

I read that article a couple weeks ago. I'm a slow reader so it took me like 20 minutes, but it was worth it. Astros fans today are very similar to Texas Longhorn fans of 2010. Knowing a massive overhaul is underway, you don't mind the struggle so long as its building towards a promising future. For the Astros, that time is 2015 or 2016. For the Longhorns it's.....well its supposed to be this year so we'll see. If we struggle this year Mack will say "I meant 2014" or "It would have been 2013 if Harsin didn't leave against my will"

cashman

Banned
I read that article a couple weeks ago. I'm a slow reader so it took me like 20 minutes, but it was worth it. Astros fans today are very similar to Texas Longhorn fans of 2010. Knowing a massive overhaul is underway, you don't mind the struggle so long as its building towards a promising future. For the Astros, that time is 2015 or 2016. For the Longhorns it's.....well its supposed to be this year so we'll see. If we struggle this year Mack will say "I meant 2014" or "It would have been 2013 if Harsin didn't leave against my will"

The problem with the Astros is that out of all the halfway decent players they traded away, all of them were bad trades except for Pence. They haven't had much upper minor league talent because of this.

Good morning everyone.

Federal judge tosses State of PA lawsuit against NCAA. Eh... whoever wins, we all lose. Basically just said this case does not support the Sherman anti-trust legislation on any useful level.

PA Case Tossed

Limedust

perfectchaos007 said:
I think thats what we have. Does your package come with Showtime? LHN SD is on channel 609 for me.

Showtime - Yes
LHN SD is Channel 609 - Yes, just not "enabled" the other day when I checked.

andycapps said:
I don't know who is who now, avatar changes or something.

ಠ_ಠ

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Good morning everyone.

Federal judge tosses State of PA lawsuit against NCAA. Eh... whoever wins, we all lose. Basically just said this case does not support the Sherman anti-trust legislation on any useful level.

PA Case Tossed

For some reason, I misinterpreted this as the Ed O'Bannon case, the "NCAA/EA makes money off of my image" case. Was about to make a snarky comment about NCAA Moneybags arriving at the courthouse, but this was the Sandusky's Revenge Tour case, and I'm ok with the result.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like RB Charles Sims from Houston, who many consider a top 5 RB in the next draft, wants to transfer to Tech for his final season (eligible immediately since he's already graduated) but Houston is blocking his release within conference, to anyone on their schedule this season, and to any school in Texas.

Personally I think if you've already graduated you should be able to transfer anywhere you damn well please. It's why I don't call the grad school instant eligibility thing a "loophole," because that term generally has a negative connotation as some kind of trick you're getting away with but somebody that graduates, has eligibility remaining, and wants to go to grad school is basically the epitome of what a student athlete should be.

There's apparently an appeal of some sort in process but assuming he doesn't make it to Tech word is he's going to WVU or Cal.

Looks like RB Charles Sims from Houston, who many consider a top 5 RB in the next draft, wants to transfer to Tech for his final season (eligible immediately since he's already graduated) but Houston is blocking his release within conference, to anyone on their schedule this season, and to any school in Texas.

Personally I think if you've already graduated you should be able to transfer anywhere you damn well please. It's why I don't call the grad school instant eligibility thing a "loophole," because that term generally has a negative connotation as some kind of trick you're getting away with but somebody that graduates, has eligibility remaining, and wants to go to grad school is basically the epitome of what a student athlete should be.

There's apparently an appeal of some sort in process but assuming he doesn't make it to Tech word is he's going to WVU or Cal.

Sorry Monroe. The whole fifth year grad school thing for 99.9% of the players out there is an opportunity to go somewhere else for playing time or for a better team than for "education."

They players go to their new school, pick a grad school that's not offered at their previous school (so it's a legal transfer by the rules), and then enroll in that program. It's not as if they pick their new school based on education. They pick it on the factors I listed above. It's a joke.

At the same time it's a bit dickish on part of the player to initiate such a thing so deep into the offseason. I mean a lot of his current desirability was built up at Houston, no? They got him an education/degree and he's now considered a top-5 RB. Now without consequence he gets to just bolt to another team? What's wrong with just finishing out his eligible career at Houston - he'll get plenty of exposure and still be a top-5 NFL back if he truly is one.

What grad program is he looking into that is offered at Tech but not UH? I'm sure it was just a coincidence it worked out like that...

And of course at the same time, it's not like schools don't exploit athletes or sometimes screw them over too. So in the end, I don't feel too bad for Houston. It's just funny time and time again seeing larger schools and conferences(in general) trash mid-majors or whatever publicly yet when they need something, quietly poach players/coaches/etc. or even schools themselves.

andycapps

Did WVU or Cal recruit him in highschool or something?

I dunno, I kind of agree with him. If they've already graduated, what's the big deal? They did their time, they should get to do what they want.

This is assuming he decides on Cal, of course. If not, this is a bullshit loophole that should be illegal.

Ehh... to me I don't see the issue with Houston blocking him here. They don't want the kid to play for an intra-state competitor. It's not some insidious attempt to deprive the kid of an education.

Here's where the 2,522 new seats will be going at the Shoe (starting in 2014).

XZ1LEF8.png

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds like he wants to move to a program with a similar style of offense.

Pretty safe bet. Holgorsen and Dykes were both on the Tech coaching staff while Kingsbury was a player so all three are keeping it pretty close in the family.

Sorry Monroe. The whole fifth year grad school thing for 99.9% of the players out there is an opportunity to go somewhere else for playing time or for a better team than for "education."

They players go to their new school, pick a grad school that's not offered at their previous school (so it's a legal transfer by the rules), and then enroll in that program. It's not as if they pick their new school based on education. They pick it on the factors I listed above. It's a joke.

I'm aware, I just think that if they already have a degree and want to transfer they should be able to go wherever they want whether they're really in it for the second degree or not. They've earned it at that point. One of the main reasons for the transfer rules in the first place is to make sure players don't just hop around on a whim and have to take the education part somewhat seriously; if you have already earned a degree you've clearly met that criteria already.

Those are some amazing seats. Are you supposed to twist around in the seat to watch or what?

Honestly, they shouldn't be too bad. They're unobstructed, at the very least.

I just don't like this idea of trying to cram in as many seats as possible. The Shoe is as close to perfect as it's ever been and I'd hate to see its design compromised.

cdyhybrid

Sounds like he wants to move to a program with a similar style of offense.

It took me a bit after reading this post to remember that Cal as a new coach and is running the Air Raid.

Edit: Entertaining reading on the UW Scout board after the Seattle Times hired an Oregon graduate and the (until-now) Oregon beat writer to cover UW. They conveniently forget that the previous guy (who is one of the best beat-writers in the country) went to school at Wazzu.

andycapps

Honestly, they shouldn't be too bad. They're unobstructed, at the very least.

I just don't like this idea of trying to cram in as many seats as possible. The Shoe is as close to perfect as it's ever been and I'd hate to see its design compromised.

Looks like they'll be looking over people from that other section to see the field.

KingGondo

Banned
Early lines are out, and OSU is only an underdog in one game, by 6.5 points @ Texas.

Also, Texas is favored in every game except one: a pick 'em against OU. :jnc

Brb, flying to Vegas.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Apparently, Miss State was on the docket for the NCAA infractions committee. Maybe for their part in the Cam Newton mess, or something else. They didn't get much:

quote:
Penalties in this case include: Public reprimand and censure.
Two years of probation from June 7, 2013 through June 6, 2015.

A one-year show-cause order for the former assistant coach, which prevents him from recruiting activities and booster interaction. The public report contains further details.

A reduction of the number of official visits to 39, from the four-year average of 41, for the 2012-13 and 2013-14 academic years (Self-imposed by the university).

A reduction of the number of recruiting days during the spring evaluation period by four, from 168 to 164, for the 2013-14 academic year (Self-imposed by the university).

A reduction in the number of total scholarships by two, from 85 to 83, for the 2012-13 academic year (Self-imposed by the university).

A reduction in the number of initial and total scholarships by two, from 25 to 23 and 85 to 83, respectively, for the 2013-14 academic year (Self-imposed by the university).

For the first two conference contests of the 2013 season, complimentary admissions to football recruits will be prohibited (Self-imposed by the university). Disassociation of the booster by the university’s athletics program. Details of the disassociation can be found in the public report (Self-imposed by the university).

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Apparently, Miss State was on the docket for the NCAA infractions committee. Maybe for their part in the Cam Newton mess, or something else. They didn't get much:

Has nothing to do with Newton. One of their boosters, whom they disassociated, allegedly gave money to a recruit. Something Redmon, Redfield. Kid is a redshirt freshman (DB) on their team this year.

KingGondo

Banned
Has nothing to do with Newton. One of their boosters, whom they disassociated, allegedly gave money to a recruit. Something Redmon, Redfield. Kid is a redshirt freshman (DB) on their team this year.
They swiped Fred Ross, a stud WR (who had been committed for months) from us this past year.

And then Ole Miss got LaQuon Treadwell over us, because if you're gonna be a WR, Mississippi is the place to go.

TL;DR: Fuck Mississippi, everybody knows you're cheating.

mcgruber

Early lines are out, and OSU is only an underdog in one game, by 6.5 points @ Texas.

Also, Texas is favored in every game except one: a pick 'em against OU. :jnc

Brb, flying to Vegas.

Is texas normally favored for betting for no good reason? Was it like that last year with their mediocre results?

Was this discussed yet?
https://mobile.twitter.com/JeffEquipBU/media/grid?idx=4&tid=330044869848477696

I think the gold looks horrid. https://twitter.com/JeffEquipBU/status/332491152035041281/photo/1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom