• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that I endorse the actions of the waste of space that vandalized your stadium, spray painting a wall (which can be painted over again) and adding a very poor excuse for a tiger paw to the field (which, again, will fade out after a few weeks) is quite different than taking a huge chunk out of an irreplaceable rock.

That grass they painted over was irreplaceable as well!

andycapps

Not that I endorse the actions of the waste of space that vandalized your stadium, spray painting a wall (which can be painted over again) and adding a very poor excuse for a tiger paw to the field (which, again, will fade out after a few weeks) is quite different than taking a huge chunk out of an irreplaceable rock.

That spray painting job was pretty tame. There's been much worse vandalizing by fans of opposing fanbases.

Breaking the rock was wrong. Like you mentioned, they can paint over spray paint but you can't fix a broken rock.

There was a funny one back in the 70's or 80's with Georgia and Florida going back and forth. I'm trying to find an article on it. I remember something about some Florida fans messed with the arch, and then on their way out of town got busted for not having their seat belts on and the cops saw the paint cans and they got busted for that too.

Blatz

I wasn't equating the offenses, only the classless-ness of the actions. But I did see that they only valued the damage at $500 and theft at $300. So....

All kidding aside. I know Howard's rock is worth a hell of a lot more than $800 to you guys. That's just what the original police report said.

ih7o4PhD8g9U5.gif

Sorry, but I laughed.

Find a better plexiglass case?

All the Clemson fans on my facebook page are outraged over this. Apparently it's not just an act of vandalism! It's something more extreme!

I understand that it was a douche move to steal a piece of the rock. However, this isn't anywhere on the level of poisoning the Auburn trees.

All the Clemson fans on my facebook page are outraged over this. Apparently it's not just an act of vandalism! It's something more extreme!

I understand that it was a douche move to steal a piece of the rock. However, this isn't anywhere on the level of poisoning the Auburn trees.

I love how Auburn honored their sacred trees by ritualistically toilet papering them.

The trees are probably glad to be dead.

Um...

A) It's a fucking rock. No one died.
B) Is there even any evidence a USCeast fan did it?
C) It's a fucking rock. It's not even a special rock, like from the moon or something.

I don't know where you went to school, or if you even went to school, but if you don't understand why tradition is important, it's not surprising this doesn't make sense to you.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
There's been much worse vandalizing by fans of opposing fanbases.

I remember before a JP game in the late 90s, some LSU fans broke in to Sanford Stadium in a truck and did doughnuts on the turf. It looked like shit for the game.

KingGondo

Banned

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Guess Alabama got a commitment from D Cornwell, or whatever his name is, a potential #1 qb prospect. Just another Friday in Tuscaloosa.

I don't know where you went to school, or if you even went to school, but if you don't understand why tradition is important, it's not surprising this doesn't make sense to you.
I understand why tradition is important, but... it's a fucking rock. No one died. The environment wasn't damaged (excepting the Death Valley environment when it was removed.) It's not a work of art. Most of the rock is still there. Clemson players will still be able to get their rock cooties before the game.

I understand why tradition is important, but... it's a fucking rock. No one died. The environment wasn't damaged (excepting the Death Valley environment when it was removed.) It's not a work of art. Most of the rock is still there. Clemson players will still be able to get their rock cooties before the game.

Let me know how you feel if you one day get to your car and there's a big dent in it. I'm sure no one will be dead, the environment won't be damaged, and most of the car will still be there (and be functional). It's a fucking car. However, I'm sure you'll be pissed just the same. And your car doesn't even have any tradition.

Let me know how you feel if you one day get to your car and there's a big dent in it. I'm sure no one will be dead, the environment won't be damaged, and most of the car will still be there (and be functional). It's a fucking car. However, I'm sure you'll be pissed just the same. And your car doesn't even have any tradition.
You can bet your sweet ass that I'll be sure to blame an Iowa State fan.

KingGondo

Banned
Guess Alabama got a commitment from D Cornwell, or whatever his name is, a potential #1 qb prospect. Just another Friday in Tuscaloosa.
Yeah, Cornwell's from Oklahoma and barely even sniffed the in-state schools.

You should have seen my expression when Luke Del Rio decided he'd rather walk on and be like the 6th QB at Bama rather than sign his LOI with us.

And then Wes Lunt leaves, which would have put him in the driver's seat to start for 3+ years.

Saban is the devil.

ag-my001

He asks that we walk a mile in his shoes. Does that mile include all the VIP seats at sporting events and being surrounded by hot coeds?

If so...

KingGondo

Banned
He asks that we walk a mile in his shoes. Does that mile include all the VIP seats at sporting events and being surrounded by hot coeds?

If so...
I was thinking the same thing.

Plus, it's not like he doesn't bring on a ton of attention and scrutiny because of his own behavior. Tough life that kid has...

Lonestar

Gainesville PD gets another one!

To Make Matters worse, Florida's net result from the Sugar Bowl Appearance is!!!!

-$840,000. Instead of coming out ahead for the purse, Florida had to pay $840k to show up (and lose)

Getting invited to play in a bowl game does not guarantee that a school will not lose money when making an appearance. In fact, bowl appearances sometimes cost more than what they generate -- even BCS games that feature the sport's biggest names.

And it turns out even one of the best-run athletic departments in the country playing in its conference's most sought-after bowl destination isn't immune. The Gainesville Sun reported that at an annual budget meeting Wednesday, Florida revealed it lost $840,000 when in played in January's Sugar Bowl. The culprit: The Gators athletic department was unable to sell its allotment of 17,500 tickets. There was a sizable amount of unsold tickets.

The financial blow is insult to injury after former Florida defensive coordinator Charlie Strong and his Louisville Cardinals dominated the Gators, 33-23.

Branduil

I don't see what's wrong with what he did. You transfer to an NCAA school from another and you lose a year of eligibility unless there's a medical reason or a serious family issue that the NCAA grants a waiver for.

He compared someone who wanted to leave to be close to his sick grandmother to a guy who was cheating. Also, he had no problem not waiting to skip from Cincinnati.

Are adults not required to carry out the terms of a contract anymore? I think this happened at FSU this year as well. It's not surprising that schools don't want to be the first to set a precedent that the LOI doesn't mean anything.

He compared someone who wanted to leave to be close to his sick grandmother to a guy who was cheating. Also, he had no problem not waiting to skip from Cincinnati.

Nailed it, hes hopped from school to school, not "honoring his contract" as well.

Also, he had no problem not waiting to skip from Cincinnati.

Ah the truth comes out. Well as long as Cinci's current coach didn't do the same thing, then I guess we're good here.

Also it's not like this was Kelly's decision anyway. The decision not to release EV from his LOI was almost certainly made by the AD.

Lonestar

I don't see what's wrong with what he did. You transfer to an NCAA school from another and you lose a year of eligibility unless there's a medical reason or a serious family issue that the NCAA grants a waiver for.

Nick Freakin Saban released the Backup QB to go to Virginia, and he was even allowed to immediately be allowed to play, didn't even have to sit out a year.

course, Phillip Sims couldn't stay at Virginia, but that's after the fact.

andycapps

There must be more to this story than what you posted. I didn't see that part in there. I may just be really tired.

I'm not defending him leaving Cincinnati but he has a point, he paid a penalty. They didn't let him out of that obligation.

Nick Freakin Saban released the Backup QB to go to Virginia, and he was even allowed to immediately be allowed to play, didn't even have to sit out a year.

course, Phillip Sims couldn't stay at Virginia, but that's after the fact.

There is a difference between a backup transferring and a recruit who has yet to set foot on campus wanting to get out of their LOI. There isn't a single school that would give a release.

Draxal

Phil Steele has FSU at pre-season #3 this year. I'd be glad to see us be this year's TA&M, but I think he's smoking crack.

Phil Steele goes heavily by recruiting stars in the past; and FSU recruits amazingly well. And I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but we know that FSU doesn't develop the recruits as well as they should (or win as much as they should with as many draft picks you had this year).

KingGondo

Banned
Phil Steele has FSU at pre-season #3 this year. I'd be glad to see us be this year's TA&M, but I think he's smoking crack.
He also has Texas at #4 and OSU at #6, which are both huge reaches based on last year's results.

And even though he has us ranked #6, we didn't have a QB on his first, second, third, or fourth-team selections for the Big 12.

Yeah, his credibility isn't too strong.

EDIT: According to Twitter Sources, Wes Lunt is transferring to Illinois.

Have fun on that awesome team in that uptempo offense in that great conference, buddy.

He also has Texas at #4 and OSU at #6, which are both huge reaches based on last year's results.

And even though he has us ranked #6, we didn't have a QB on his first, second, third, or fourth-team selections for the Big 12.

Yeah, his credibility isn't too strong.

EDIT: According to Twitter Sources, Wes Lunt is transferring to Illinois.

Have fun on that awesome team in that uptempo offense in that great conference, buddy.

I'll make sure to wave to him when I see him in class...

KingGondo

Banned
I'll make sure to wave to him when I see him in class...
You don't go to ND?

He actually will be on the field with an offense like the one you sarcastically described, the second weekend in September. They'll just be playing for the other team.
I really do wish him the best of luck, it still just blows my mind that he transferred. The starting job was his for 3 years (after this) if he wanted it.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I know he's from Rochester (close to me) but I'm still surprised Lunt picked the U of I. Figured he's pick someone with a more pass happy offense. If Beckman wanted someone who can actually pass he'd have been playing O'Toole over Scheelhaase last season.

cdyhybrid

This ticket guarantee crap needs to stop. Schools have to pay a bunch of money for their allotments and then get undercut, so people don't buy from them. It's ridiculous. If a bowl can't sell its tickets or get in the black without forcing schools to pay them, then it shouldn't exist.

Agreed. The Rose Bowl never really faces this problem, do they? Or at least I haven't heard about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom