• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcgruber

OU, TCU and probably K State. They haven't really lost much offensively, and the linebackers should be much better next year.

I think osu has a much better chance than k state. I could see a bit of an upset with a loss to tech/baylor too. You think ou will win the conference?

cashman

Banned
I think osu has a much better chance than k state. I could see a bit of an upset with a loss to tech/baylor too. You think ou will win the conference?

I don't see Tech as being all that good in Kingsbury's first year and Baylor has a new QB so I don't think they'll beat Texas. OSU is a maybe, but that games in Austin so I think the horns take that one. I don't necessarily think that OU is the best team in the BigXII, but they will beat the shit out of UT, and I'm never going to predict a win against KSU until I see it for myself.

Mainly I'm banking on the entire conference being down and Texas taking a step up.

KingGondo

Banned
I don't see Tech as being all that good in Kingsbury's first year and Baylor has a new QB so I don't think they'll beat Texas. OSU is a maybe, but that games in Austin so I think the horns take that one. I don't necessarily think that OU is the best team in the BigXII, but they will beat the shit out of UT, and I'm never going to predict a win against KSU until I see it for myself.

Mainly I'm banking on the entire conference being down and Texas taking a step up.
I feel very confident about OSU this year. Every position is strong (although depth at some spots is a bit questionable). Honestly my biggest worry is whether or not Chelf is a conference champ-level QB. I like him, but I'd be more excited if Walsh was starting.

I think we have a decent shot to be undefeated coming into Austin.

I really want to go to the OSU-UT game in Austin, but it'll probably be too expensive with F1 also in town.

mcgruber

I feel very confident about OSU this year. Every position is strong (although depth at some spots is a bit questionable). Honestly my biggest worry is whether or not Chelf is a conference champ-level QB. I like him, but I'd be more excited if Walsh was starting.

I think we have a decent shot to be undefeated coming into Austin.

I really want to go to the OSU-UT game in Austin, but it'll probably be too expensive with F1 also in town.

I'd be suprised if Walsh wasnt the starter by the texas game. His numbers look superior to chelf's. Were they in garbage time?

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Has nothing to do with Newton. One of their boosters, whom they disassociated, allegedly gave money to a recruit. Something Redmon, Redfield. Kid is a redshirt freshman (DB) on their team this year.

Miss. St. got in trouble for some amateur hour cheating by a booster who didn't know what he was doing. Memphis is the deep end of the crootin pool and if you're going to play the game you have to do it right.

The funniest part is that the booster offered him 6 grand NOT to visit another school. So many rumors about the lengths the MSU staff goes to to keep commits from visiting elsewhere. The jokes write themselves.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
This was confirmed (sorta) on Tech Talk when somebody said that the only guy that was really questionable among the recruits was Bennett.
Bennett is gone, and it had something to do with academics, but apparently he's likely to end up at KSU now so I don't think the issue was straight up qualifying. At any rate, as I mentioned before he has only played OL for one season so he was likely up for a redshirt anyway; Safe to assume the coaches figured that after he didn't work out whatever he needed to work out that they can just pick up a December graduate JUCO OL and it will come out as a wash.

Andre Ross got Bennett's scholarship, and us getting Ross meant that OU and TCU didn't get him, so even though Bennett was at a position of need I think the swap we made with Ross and the fact that Bennett wouldn't contribute this season anyway means I don't think him not making it really messes up anything.

Bennett is gone, and it had something to do with academics, but apparently he's likely to end up at KSU now so I don't think the issue was straight up qualifying. At any rate, as I mentioned before he has only played OL for one season so he was likely up for a redshirt anyway; Safe to assume the coaches figured that after he didn't work out whatever he needed to work out that they can just pick up a December graduate JUCO OL and it will come out as a wash.

Andre Ross got Bennett's scholarship, and us getting Ross meant that OU and TCU didn't get him, so even though Bennett was at a position of need I think the swap we made with Ross and the fact that Bennett wouldn't contribute this season anyway means I don't think him not making it really messes up anything.

Thanks for the update.

andycapps

FSU wide receiver, Greg Dent, arrested yesterday on charges of sexual assault:

According to the probable cause affidavit, the alleged victim, who is a long-time friend of his, claims that Dent forced himself on her after a night out with friends. She was staying over at his apartment. The incident is alleged to have occurred Saturday. Dent is alleged to have given a statement to police after being read his Miranda rights (AKA "the right to remain silent"), but the statement is redacted in the report.

KingGondo

Banned
I'd be suprised if Walsh wasnt the starter by the texas game. His numbers look superior to chelf's. Were they in garbage time?
Apologies for the uber-late reply...

Honestly it's kind of a toss-up, although I feel Walsh has exceptional mobility and his passing isn't noticeably worse than Chelf's. I just feel like Chelf will manage the game, rack up good stats against bad competition, and then I'm not sure I trust him against the marquee opponents on our schedule.

It's not really a big of a deal anyways, because I'm pretty sure Walsh will get 10-20 snaps/game in short-yardage and goal-line situations.

How am I supposed to post Danny O'Brien left Wisconsin then leave a snarky comment about how he was no Russel Wilson if the forums are down all day?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
wouldn't put it past one of those Auburn guys being responsible for stealing Giant Bomb's video equipment. MAN THE PITCHFORKS!

GAF broke its personal record for most users ever online today. Thanks Nintendo

I don't know how because this was one of the weakest Nintendo showing in memory. They didn't even have a normal show and WiiU is on life support it seems. I think this was right there, if not worse, than the 2003 E3 conference.

Edit: As far as APR - yikes FIU basketball. Banned from the postseason and in danger with one more year of being stripped of D1 rights.

UCF football finished 15th overall and 9th when counting only public schools. 976 was the number. But it's all a joke when you consider how the NCAA handled the atrocious cheating at UNC.

For anyone interested heres the top 15 players in ncaa 14

1. Jadeveon Clowney, South Carolina defensive end
2. Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M quarterback
3. De'Anthony Thomas, Oregon running back
4. A.J. McCarron, Alabama quarterback
5. Marqise Lee, USC wide receiver
6. C.J. Mosley, Alabama linebacker
7. Braxton Miller, Ohio State quarterback
8. Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville quarterback
9. Jake Matthews, Texas A&M left tackle
10. Aaron Murray, Georgia quarterback
11. Taylor Lewan, Michigan left tackle
12. Tajh Boyd, Clemson quarterback
13. Sammy Watkins, Clemson wide receiver
14. Denicos Allen, Michigan State linebacker
15. Ka'Deem Carey, Arizona running back

http://traditionsportsonline.com/the-top-15-rated-players-in-ea-sports-ncaa-football-14

and a link to all the team ratings:

http://www.landgrantholyland.com/2013/6/11/4420462/team-ratings-in-ncaa-football-14-revealed-at-e3

ag-my001

My dream of Manziel safe behind two senior tackles can still come true!

Curse you NFL Draft!!

andycapps

Nick Chubb committed to UGA for 2014. So with Sony Michel's commitment they have the #1 RB's from GA and FL. Chubb is the Gurley in that class, squats 560 and benches 350 or so. Good pickup though since Gurley and Marshall will likely go pro after 2014.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!

http://traditionsportsonline.com/the-top-15-rated-players-in-ea-sports-ncaa-football-14

and a link to all the team ratings:

http://www.landgrantholyland.com/2013/6/11/4420462/team-ratings-in-ncaa-football-14-revealed-at-e3

Alabama has the best offense in the game? Bwah? Don't get me wrong, we've got some stud playmakers, but this has got to be a first...

Alabama has the best offense in the game? Bwah? Don't get me wrong, we've got some stud playmakers, but this has got to be a first...

This isnt me saying Bama isnt a good squad the past few years, on the contrary this is truly one of the most impressive runs we have seen. But ever year EA puts them in as 99 in pretty much everything, lets get real for a sec.

Lonestar

one of those athlon/lindy's had Alabama #1 in the WR core. Seriously. I think. But #3 in the SEC in backfield, behind UGA#1 and A&M#2

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
This isnt me saying Bama isnt a good squad the past few years, on the contrary this is truly one of the most impressive runs we have seen. But ever year EA puts them in as 99 in pretty much everything, lets get real for a sec.
I guess they do what they have to do to skew the combined rankings to set that order up how they want to, but still.
one of those athlon/lindy's had Alabama #1 in the WR core. Seriously. I think. But #3 in the SEC in backfield, behind UGA#1 and A&M#2
Hard to argue with being behind UGA. We really only have Yeldon returning as an experienced "every-down" back, but he's a hell of a player. Fowler and Hart are decent, but are coming back from injuries last year. Of course we're also adding 247's #5 & #6 ranked running backs, their #3 ranked all-purpose back, and their #1 ranked athlete who happens to own almost every single meaningful high school record for running backs.

Are they putting A&M up there because of Manziel? Because their returning RB corp is unimpressive.

As a aside, I would rank Amari Cooper higher than AJ. I think AJ is a great QB, but Cooper is just special.

I guess they do what they have to do to skew the combined rankings to set that order up how they want to, but still.

Hard to argue with being behind UGA. We really only have Yeldon returning as an experienced "every-down" back, but he's a hell of a player. Fowler and Hart are decent, but are coming back from injuries last year. Of course we're also adding 247's #5 & #6 ranked running backs, their #3 ranked all-purpose back, and their #1 ranked athlete who happens to own almost every single meaningful high school record for running backs.

Are they putting A&M up there because of Manziel? Because their returning RB corp is unimpressive.

As a aside, I would rank Amari Cooper higher than AJ. I think AJ is a great QB, but Cooper is just special.

I wish NCAA would utilize the whole rating scale like Madden does, or at least more like madden.

andycapps

I thought those 99 numbers in every category for Bama were pretty lazy, honestly. Though I think Bama and UGA's offenses are very similar, with an edge to UGA in the RB category, but an edge to Bama for their OL. Bama has good receivers, but I think UGA has them in that category too. Malcolm Mitchell compares pretty well with Cooper, then we have Michael Bennett, Chris Conley.. We have several after them that will see lots of time in Justin Scott-Wesley and Rantavious Wooten, and I think that JUCO transfer Rumph will have a big year. His size is impressive, if he can learn the routes and learn how to block downfield he will see time. We have some awesome tight ends in Arthur Lynch and Jay Rome, Lynch should have a huge year.

Really the only thing I'm envious about with Bama's team is the OL. I'd love if our guys eventually look like that. Though we do have a former Bama OL as our OL coach (Will Friend), maybe he can get them there.

Lonestar

I thought those 99 numbers in every category for Bama were pretty lazy, honestly. Though I think Bama and UGA's offenses are very similar, with an edge to UGA in the RB category, but an edge to Bama for their OL. Bama has good receivers, but I think UGA has them in that category too. Malcolm Mitchell compares pretty well with Cooper, then we have Michael Bennett, Chris Conley.. We have several after them that will see lots of time in Justin Scott-Wesley and Rantavious Wooten, and I think that JUCO transfer Rumph will have a big year. His size is impressive, if he can learn the routes and learn how to block downfield he will see time. We have some awesome tight ends in Arthur Lynch and Jay Rome, Lynch should have a huge year.

Really the only thing I'm envious about with Bama's team is the OL. I'd love if our guys eventually look like that. Though we do have a former Bama OL as our OL coach (Will Friend), maybe he can get them there.

You do not want to start this, not this early.

Bold is complete lunacy. Cooper, Moncrief, and Mike Evans (who isn't special, but is huge and will run 8 yard hook patterns for completions 95% of the time). Maybe Jordan Matthews, but I'm hesitant on believing anything out of Vandy.

Mitchell's on the next tier, and everyone else on the 2 teams are bit time players, or "they look good on paper." We're both filled with "They look good on paper" players, and with the amount of hype OJ Howard's gotten, he better be 1st team SEC at the TE position.

andycapps

You do not want to start this, not this early.

Bold is complete lunacy. Cooper, Moncrief, and Mike Evans (who isn't special, but is huge and will run 8 yard hook patterns for completions 95% of the time). Maybe Jordan Matthews, but I'm hesitant on believing anything out of Vandy.

Mitchell's on the next tier, and everyone else on the 2 teams are bit time players, or "they look good on paper." We're both filled with "They look good on paper" players, and with the amount of hype OJ Howard's gotten, he better be 1st team SEC at the TE position.

Well given that Mitchell played on defense last year for the first several games, I think they put up pretty similar stats. They're almost exactly the same size. Cooper is great, don't get me wrong. They're both different receivers than AJ Green or Julio Jones, which was the big question a few years ago about who was better.

I didn't mention any good on paper players other than Rumph, and that's just because of his size and that he's a JUCO transfer. Bennett and Conley were great last year, Bennett was killing it before his season ending injury. Conley just doesn't get a lot of passes his way, though I think with Tavarres King gone he'll get more attention.

AntoneM

I think NCAA got ASU and Zona confused unless they think the worst defense is the Pac south last year will be better than the best defense in the Pac south last year.

KingGondo

Banned
OSU's ratings: 91 overall, 93 on offense, 92 on defense.

I do think our defense has a chance to be very good this year, but it depends on how our new DC's schemes work out. I expect that we'll be much more aggressive and try to force TOs via strip-sacks and tipped passes (instead of the patented Bill Young "give up a 10-yard pass and hope for a TO at some point" strategy). Every spot on defense has experience, and most have depth.

Also, our offensive rating should be higher.

Draxal

So Rashan Gary just got an offer from OSU (2016 DT), so he has offers now from Alabama, OSU, FLorida, Rutgers and Temple.

Fuck Meyer and Cristobal.

cdyhybrid

Cal last in the conference and Furd first in APR.

This is what happens you spend all that money on a damned football stadium instead of academics!

impirius

jump_to_conclusions_mat.jpg

I don't think most Carolina fans are happy about this, either. I hope they catch whoever is responsible, although it looks like this happened early in the month, and I haven't seen any indication of how quickly Clemson found out about it. Ugh.

Blatz

Glass houses and all that....

http://www.wltx.com/news/article/232763/2/Williams-Brice-Stadium-Vandalized-with-Clemson-Tigers-Colors

There's plenty of low class-ness to go around. Although the real point is we don't know who broke the rock.

I hope they catch whoever did it and punish them.

Glass houses and all that....

http://www.wltx.com/news/article/232763/2/Williams-Brice-Stadium-Vandalized-with-Clemson-Tigers-Colors

There's plenty of low class-ness to go around. Although the real point is we don't know who broke the rock.

I hope they catch whoever did it and punish them.

Not that I endorse the actions of the waste of space that vandalized your stadium, spray painting a wall (which can be painted over again) and adding a very poor excuse for a tiger paw to the field (which, again, will fade out after a few weeks) is quite different than taking a huge chunk out of an irreplaceable rock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom