• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
HONK HONK MOTHERFUCKER

TRENT TRUCK COMING THROUGH

Nah, pretty sure most OU fans realize Bama is a better destination right now.

OU doesn't have the same recruiting clout they had 5 years ago. They're losing recruits to OSU, Aggy, SEC schools, and even Baylor.

think he lived in Florida before moving to Norman

Subitai

Is it just me or is there a massive Chinese defense force on GAF that always likes to defend cruelty by people from China by pointing out how the U.S. is just as bad? Even when the U.S. has nothing at all to do with a story in question. I mean I would make a comment in the threads on these articles to that effect, but I'm not willing to risk getting banned.

It's starting to get to the levels where I might just follow bluemax and ChiTown out of here.

On a related note - I used to be anti-mega thread, but now I'm pro-mega thread. Why? I feel like I can make more honest comments in a mega thread than I can in the OT threads on subjects.
Just make your points, but don't get so attached you have to feel you need to convert people. Like you said, the risk of banning isn't worth it. Unfortunately there is fair amount of truth to "a gaf-defense force for everthing".

I've been out of this thread for a while. What happened to ChiTown and BlueMax?

Limedust

I don't relate to the GAF hive mind, so I only visit because of this thread... I just update my link every time we bump to a new page. There have been CFB threads here since the late 90's, and I like the people who post in here.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Just make your points, but don't get so attached you have to feel you need to convert people. Like you said, the risk of banning isn't worth it. Unfortunately there is fair amount of truth to "a gaf-defense force for everthing".

I've been out of this thread for a while. What happened to ChiTown and BlueMax?
BlueMax got permabanned by EviLore for **reasons**. ChiTown left after getting a bullshit tag as a result of the Boston bombing thread.
I don't relate to the GAF hive mind, so I only visit because of this thread... I just update my link every time we bump to a new page. There have been CFB threads here since the late 90's, and I like the people who post in here.
Right on. This is by far my favorite place to talk college football. Best group of college football fans on the net.

cashman

Banned
Right on. This is by far my favorite place to talk college football. Best group of college football fans on the net.

Yeah. There aren't really many good places in the first place due to the crazy high amount of batshit fans out there. Thankfully they don't last long here.

Lonestar

I'd figure having an Alabama dynasty would have turned most of you against the Alabama Crew.

There's always the upcoming 3 peat. Maybe then.

I'd figure having an Alabama dynasty would have turned most of you against the Alabama Crew.

There's always the upcoming 3 peat. Maybe then.

I think it's because you bama dudes are chill as fuck and not insufferable douches line I would have been if Osu went on a run like bama. :p

I got mad respect for Saban and what he's done.

Lonestar

Where am I? Do I need to disable GAF Dark? I'm scared.

took me 15 minutes to figure out how to turn on GAF Dark. Had to install a Stylish app, and probably open my entire computer to Google. Or at least "more open" than it was (cause hey, Google knows everything).

Did this ever get posted? (I know I posted the 2014 expansion seating diagram, but I don't think I posted the artist rendering of the permanent lights.)

580346_570025733038392_1255252973_n.jpg

166004_570025933038372_1288863752_n.jpg

Lonestar

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Andrew_Gribble/status/348470143862571008[/tweet]

GAF has gone social media. This will be my last post on GAF. DOWN WITH SOCIAL MEDIA. UP WITH PASTRIES.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Long Bielema article on Grantland is a good read. Why was Wisconsin so miserly with assistant coach salaries if Its rolling in that Big 10 Network dough?

No need to leave completely. There's a reason my posting has dropped off significantly/completely in threads other than this one. Too many dumb arguments out there that end up with you saying dumb things you don't actually believe in the first place and don't know why you said them.

Lord help me if I ever go into politics and somebody tracks this account back to me.

I'd seen some threads about it but hadn't opened any of them. Sounds great.

Long Bielema article on Grantland is a good read. Why was Wisconsin so miserly with assistant coach salaries if Its rolling in that Big 10 Network dough?

Wasn't just wiscy, the entire big 10 didn't pay assistant coaches shit.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Alvarez must've thought Bielema was bluffing about.leaving over it. Obviously the money was there because Wis. increased the salary pool for his replacement so it didn't look bad.

Subitai

BlueMax got permabanned by EviLore for **reasons**. ChiTown left after getting a bullshit tag as a result of the Boston bombing thread.

Thanks.

As others have said, you Bama-gaf guys go a long way in setting the chill tone here.

B1G schools have the mindset to expand their athletic depts. through more sports, so additional revenues in general are spent on them when possible. (see new lax & ice hockey leagues)

tokkun

Scott Walker hates Madison liberals, so he has been appointing Regents to shift money from Madison to other schools in the system, so money has been tight across the whole university for the past few years.

The second issue is that because Wisconsin has only been relevant in football for the last 20 years or so, there is not a large base of donors to quickly raise funds in that sort of scenario.

Alvarez must've thought Bielema was bluffing about.leaving over it. Obviously the money was there because Wis. increased the salary pool for his replacement so it didn't look bad.

There is more money in the pool for assistants now because Anderson is making $1 million less per year than Bielema was.

andycapps

RIP Bluemax and Chitown.

Just now seeing the site redesign since I've been on my phone or tablet for the last week. This is really weird, but I think I like it. The dark theme is nice.

Lonestar

I don't think that case is up before the Supreme Court... I don't think the trial court has even ruled on whether to grant/deny certification of the class. Could be wrong, though, as I haven't been following it that closely.

Someone had brought up SCOTUS, and it was a football reporter, made me think it was about that.

Was just looking at a power rankings list of big 10 teams, and saw Maryland/Rutgers on the list and thought i had a stroke for a second. Nope, forgot that really happened.

Official AAC members in one week!

AAC AAC AAC! Don't care that this is basketball news and that I already posted it in the college BB thread, but UCF just unveiled their new BB court to go along with the transition to a new conference.

Deadspin

Main differences are the changing of our Knighthead logo to our standard stacked UCF athletics logo and the use of a black stain for the hardwood. Nice effect - different but classy.

For a minute there, I actually thought UCF had been picked up by the ACC and you were so excited you were typoing all over the place.

So... what's an AAC?

It's the existing Big East minus the basketball schools. So basically CUSA 4.0. AAC = American Athletic Conference
2013 Config:
Louisville
USF
UCF
Cincinnati
Temple
Houston
SMU
Tulane
Rutgers
UConn

For 2014 and beyond:
Delete UL - (To ACC), Rutgers(To Big 10... lol).
Add East Carolina, Tulsa.

For 2015:
Add Navy - FB Only.

andycapps

From Get the Picture:

Sadly, five-star recruit mocks Ole Miss for racism.

Lemme get off Ole miss I'm sorry people y'all ain't racist….y'all just have KKK marches every month—
Tyga Sims lll (@marlon_humphrey) June 24, 2013

Even sadder is what passes for a rebuttal:

There is no evidence that there have been any KKK rallies on the school’s campus this year, let alone monthly.

The last known KKK rally at Ole Miss was in 2009 when KKK members protested the school’s removal of the song “From Dixie with Love” from the song list. At the time the Associated Press noted about 12 KKK members protested, while as many as 250 people protested the KKK’s presence.

Correction duly noted.

Original tweets from the recruit were from here, and here are some selected ones:

“@kbouyerxo: @DonnieLeeJr @marlon_humphrey have you been?! Lol” yes I went they had a KKK march and everybody decommitted — Tyga Sims lll (@marlon_humphrey) June 24, 2013

Lemme get off Ole miss I’m sorry people y’all ain’t racist….y’all just have KKK marches every month — Tyga Sims lll (@marlon_humphrey) June 24, 2013

“@Dan_Buggs3: @marlon_humphrey hahaha and that’s when I saw y’all buddies” that’s when I saw white people in white night gowns

— Tyga Sims lll (@marlon_humphrey) June 24, 2013

Time to block all these ole miss fans hahaa

— Tyga Sims lll (@marlon_humphrey) June 24, 2013

That's great. His rebuttal includes the fact that a KKK march hasn't happened on campus in 4 years. Thanks Obama!

andycapps

What a completely clueless rebuttal. Fantastic!

It is pretty awesome. All they need to do is deflect and talk about how pretty their coeds are or how awesome the tailgating is. Stick to the positives and don't brag about how you haven't had a KKK march in 4 years on your campus.

Not to mention the "celebration" when Obama won a second term...

LOL forgot about that. For those that missed it.

And for Ole Miss people, I'm just poking fun. I'm sure this is a minority of people giving the majority a bad name.

ag-my001

Don't be fooled by Adidas' decent Aggy redesign. Most of their stuff is gimmicky and has no style whatsoever.

You gotta be careful with Adidas. An established program can enforce that they just want an update. Other programs are at the mercy of a full redesign. Honestly, with how A&M had been doing, we got lucky with ours.

Not sure I can accept any Neb. jersey that's black with how their defense has been in recent years. Though I haven't looked at post-BigXII numbers, I'm sure they've improved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom