• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevtones

Oregon got off easy. But I got what I really wanted today. I can now accurately state that Oregon hasn't won a legitimate Rose Bowl since 1917.

Nah, history books will still show it as another day won by Oregon, sort of like June 26th, 2013.

Really though, couldn't happen at a better time for Oregon considering the onslaught of 4-5 star recruits nearby for the Nike camp.

Also, there's a lot resentment coming out against Kelly for Oregon. Guess they wanted to fine him $20k minimum but have no recourse once he went to Philly.

Pimpwerx

Meanwhile in Miami they're hoping they can skate by as well.

More like they're still wondering if the investigation of the investigation of the investigation will ever actually end. The Canes recruiting has gotten absolutely shit on with the indecision. PEACE.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I demand the 2008 Florida Gators be stripped of all titles, and the 2008 Alabama team to be awarded the SEC Championship, and allowed to play Oklahoma for the chance to kill Oklahoma, and claim it's 4th National Championship in 5 years.

Or you could stop making statements generalizing and/or shitting on an entire state from an experience you had with two cities and a news article.

Also, I'm Nebraska GAF. I was trying to point out how silly it is to make the comment you made about a state so large that it runs an extremely large spectrum of experiences.

Please. I'm pretty sure I'm not absurdly off-base in my disdain for Texas, its politics, and the extreme hubris of many (but admittedly not all) of its residents. If people want to interpret my dislike of the state as a personal attack, that's their own problem.

Jhriad

I'm pretty sure I'm not absurdly off-base in my disdain for Texas, its politics,

The political mess that is Texas is hardly unique to that state alone but I'd join you in the disdain of the political reality here (and in many other states). The state itself is pretty great though. Amazingly diverse culturally, great food everywhere, and if you like the outdoors it has pretty much everything you could ask for somewhere in the state.

and the extreme hubris of many (but admittedly not all) of its residents.

When you run into it, yes, it can be annoying. It's not exactly unusual though. New Yorkers and people from various areas on the west coast (I'm looking at you San Francisco) exhibit the same inflated sense of importance as those Texans.

cdyhybrid

The political mess that is Texas is hardly unique to that state alone but I'd join you in the disdain of the political reality here (and in many other states). The state itself is pretty great though. Amazingly diverse culturally, great food everywhere, and if you like the outdoors it has pretty much everything you could ask for somewhere in the state.

When you run into it, yes, it can be annoying. It's not exactly unusual though. New Yorkers and people from various areas on the west coast (I'm looking at you San Francisco) exhibit the same inflated sense of importance as those Texans.

San Fran's problem is all those disgusting individuals who lack the self-respect to prevent themselves from rooting for the Niners.

Lonestar

Oh, for local Birmingham Peeps, that 2nd Sports Radio station, 97.3 The Zone, is over. Changing Formats starting next week.

Finebaum, when he's back on the air for ESPN, will be broadcasted on his old station, WJOX 94.5. So, odds are, the Roundtable group will go back to midday, and those 2 schlubs from Texas will go away.

cdyhybrid

Oh, for local Birmingham Peeps, that 2nd Sports Radio station, 97.3 The Zone, is over. Changing Formats starting next week.

Finebaum, when he's back on the air for ESPN, will be broadcasted on his old station, WJOX 94.5. So, odds are, the Roundtable group will go back to midday, and those 2 schlubs from Texas will go away.

They moved our local non-ESPN station off FM after they had only been on it for a few months. Makes me sad. It sounded so much better than the AM.

Go Gata

They might be in a twisted way. Isn't the USC coach that got fired suing the NCAA? This will probably give him something else to use.

Todd McNair really doesn't need anything else, he's taking the NCAA to the cleaners as it is. There's plenty of evidence that the NCAA was corrupt, malicious in its treatment of him and USC and wasn't interested in justice. The NCAA is desperate to keep investigation documents under wraps and keep things from getting public. Not that they don't already have a ton of public shit coming out now.

As a USC fan I'm just resigned to the fact that we got screwed by some very bitter and malicious people and that nobody else is going to get hammered like we were despite doing far worse. Nothing much to do about it, just have to look forward and hope someday things improve.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Qmwcj2L.jpg

Fun fact, that's ALSO the number of teams Larry Scott wants to expand the conference to.

P.S. SEC sux.

459 total championships for a conference? Pffffft. Bama has than many championships in football alone.

SEC4LYFE!!!11!!!!!one!!!!11!!1!1!

Lonestar

lonestar, you got to post that gata calender pic in this thread too.

All those topics merged together when it all went down.

There was also the Orlando Sentinel with a truly horrible article on the mess.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/blogs/en-fuego/os-gd-tim-tebow-aaron-hernandez-arrest-20130626,0,6712012.post

And for Kara and his UCLA cloud pumping:

http://www.rollbamaroll.com/2013/6/26/4465920/juco-ot-dominick-jackson-flips-from-ucla-to-alabama
JUCO OT Dominick Jackson Flips from UCLA to Alabama

Limedust

Read this on another site:

By the way, we almost certainly can cross off one newcomer as a contributor. Scout.com’s John Garcia, Jr., confirmed that junior college transfer tackle Leon Brown, who also went through spring practice, has been dismissed from the team.

Complete and total coincidence.
WE DO WHAT WE WANT!

Lonestar

Had heard he wasn't working out, either straight up "playing" related, or he didn't care to go to class.

Lonestar

I'm wondering why they think he was involved in that. Did they know him? Did they find a weapon in that pond, and early ballistics test match a cold case?

andycapps

I'm wondering why they think he was involved in that. Did they know him? Did they find a weapon in that pond, and early ballistics test match a cold case?

I'm guessing something like that.

Limedust said:
By the way, we almost certainly can cross off one newcomer as a contributor. Scout.com’s John Garcia, Jr., confirmed that junior college transfer tackle Leon Brown, who also went through spring practice, has been dismissed from the team.

Mark Richt has lost control of Nick Saban.

Apparently the guy he killed last week had information on his involvement with the double murder last year, and that's why he got axed. That's what the story in the boston globe said. SNITCHES GET STITCHES, GUYS!

mre

Apparently the guy he killed last week had information on his involvement with the double murder last year, and that's why he got axed. That's what the story in the boston globe said. SNITCHES GET STITCHES, GUYS!

I'm sure the snitch would have preferred the stitches...

LosDaddie

Banned
CFB-Bros: I think I'm finally going to take your advice and just ignore Gaming side from now on. I just .....that side is unreadable. I mean, I'm most likely going with PS4 next gen, but damn...I just can't do GAming Side anymore.
The mods/admins need to do some cracking down over there. Sorry, Cyan.

ON TOPIC: I tried trolling some of my gata friends on FB with a Hernandez post, but my friend just linked to a YT vid of him scoring TDs on the 09 FSU squad. :( It still stings.

Lonestar

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Darius_Paige/status/350327172080205824[/tweet]

Looks like Darius Paige cleared the NCAA, will report to Tuscaloosa.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Anyone see this?

http://outkickthecoverage.com/aaron-hernandez-charged-with-first-degree-murder.php

Now let's dive into Aaron Hernandez's past, who is this guy, how did he get to the point where he'd be facing first degree murder charges at 23? Were there any clues he might be a bad guy?

Yes.

Unless, that is, you happened to be Florida head coach Urban Meyer.

Of course, Meyer's famously lax discipline wasn't just noticed by media, fans, and opposing coaches.

It was also noted by his former star cornerback Janoris Jenkins, who was tossed off the team by Meyer's replacement, Will Muschamp.

"No doubt, if Coach Meyer were still coaching, I'd still be playing for the Gators," says Jenkins, whom Muschamp booted from UF's team after being arrested twice for possession of marijuana during the offseason. "Coach Meyer knows what it takes to win."

Indeed.

There's no disputing Meyer's coaching abillity. but has Urban Meyer avoided disciplining his players in the public arena?

There's zero doubt.

And can you argue that Aaron Hernandez's problems three years later might have something to do with the cushy treatment he received from Meyer at Florida? After all, Hernandez had multiple failed drug tests, was put on probation for a bar fight as a freshman, had substantial gang-related connections, and was questioned about a double shooting on campus.

What did Meyer do to Hernandez for all these public incidents?

He suspended him for one game.

One game!

But, remember, there were no "bad guys" at Florida while Urban Meyer was there.

Just bad guy reporters.

Right.

Maybe Urban can be a character witness at Hernandez's murder trial.

mre

Lonestar

That "Bad Guy" comment is being thrown back on Urban, because of an instance when a Florida Newspaper reporter was asking questions at a practice, and Urban had previously taken offense to some of his articles, and called the reporter a "Bad Guy"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgqQshESm8s

Youre a bad guy, man. Youre a bad guy, Meyer said. If that was my son, wed be going at it right now.

Clay Travis is a douche.

Sorry, I have that reflex anytime I see a link to his website.

I'm sure that Hernandez was a model student-athlete while at Florida. After all, he was teammates with The Tesus, and if 10 minutes with The Tesus makes you a better person, imagine how good of a person Hernandez was after all that practice time with The Tesus?

Every Jesus needs a Judas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom