• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jagowar

Don't be fooled by Adidas' decent Aggy redesign. Most of their stuff is gimmicky and has no style whatsoever.

I would say the opposite is true.... adidas at least tries to retain the traditional style where nike is trying to push people to their wild and crazy styling (oregon/new nfl).

KingGondo

Banned
You gotta be careful with Adidas. An established program can enforce that they just want an update. Other programs are at the mercy of a full redesign. Honestly, with how A&M had been doing, we got lucky with ours.
I'd love to say something negative about A&M's new unis, but they're honestly pretty sharp.
I would say the opposite is true.... adidas at least tries to retain the traditional style where nike is trying to push people to their wild and crazy styling (oregon/new nfl).
Wrong. Nike is a lot better at emphasizing tradition and establishing identities for the programs that want that style (Bama, OU, USC, Ohio State, Texas), and creating new identities for the programs without a strong tradition (Oregon, Oklahoma State, Oregon State, ASU).

Adidas imposes idiotic mandatory design elements (square neck collars, the three-stripe design) on unis that don't need it, while fucking with historically great designs (Nebraska, Michigan, ND) and doing their best to ape Nike with gimmicks that are simply ugly (UCLA's new jerseys, Indiana's new helmets, not to mention their terrible sleeved basketball jerseys with Zubaz shorts).

I will give Adidas one thing: they're not Under Armour.

You gotta be careful with Adidas. An established program can enforce that they just want an update. Other programs are at the mercy of a full redesign. Honestly, with how A&M had been doing, we got lucky with ours.

Not sure I can accept any Neb. jersey that's black with how their defense has been in recent years. Though I haven't looked at post-BigXII numbers, I'm sure they've improved.

I'd be shocked if post BigXII numbers weren't fairly worse than the last couple of years in the BigXII.

That said, I still like the uniforms and don't have a problem with a once (maybe twice for a big enough game) a year deviation from the classic. I really liked the ones we wore for Wisconsin last year.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Any hints as to how bad Oregon is going to get hit or, conversely, how easy they are going to get off?

cdyhybrid

Any hints as to how bad Oregon is going to get hit or, conversely, how easy they are going to get off?

If you believe the Oregon boards, the NCAA is actually going to apologize to Oregon tomorrow for ever insinuating that they broke the rules in the first place.

I feel like if it was going to be bad something would have leaked. Although everyone at Ohio State thought they were in the clear before our ruling came down.

Ain't nothin' happening to Oregon.

They lucked out by getting into trouble when it's become (more) publicly apparent how corrupt and poorly run the NCAA is.

Kevtones

Indeed. Luckily, tomorrow will be fun.

In a statement that accompanied the October 2012 summary disposition proposal, the Ducks acknowledged that “errors were made and that we will improve” but also that “our coaches did nothing to intentionally gain unfair advantages.”

The NCAA’s enforcement staff — essentially the prosecutor, while the Committee on Infractions was judge and jury — agreed during the summary disposition attempt that “the violations were not intentional in nature.” But it also argued that the Ducks nevertheless had “an obligation to ensure that the activities being engaged in comply with NCAA legislation.”

My gut tells me not too bad...

I do, of course, like the point that Ted Miller made about that the 'dark cloud' placed over the program for two years is a pretty decent prologue to whatever the punishment is. Probably hurt Oregon more than the loss of three scholarships would.

cdyhybrid

My gut tells me not too bad...

I do, of course, like the point that Ted Miller made about that the 'dark cloud' placed over the program for two years is a pretty decent prologue to whatever the punishment is. Probably hurt Oregon more than the loss of three scholarships would.

The knowledge that you haven't won a legitimate Rose Bowl in nearly 100 years is probably enough punishment.

Jhriad

Roughly 60% of my experience with Texas is in College Station, so don't judge me too harshly.

Considering you could fit 6 Ohios into a single Texas and you saw what was probably one of the least interesting cities in the state it's not saying much. Texas is too large and diverse to be generalized so.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Tonight, it's Joe Germaine Night in Texas

JoeG-OSU-Pass-2.jpg

Considering you could fit 6 Ohios into a single Texas and you saw what was probably one of the least interesting cities in the state it's not saying much. Texas is too large and diverse to be generalized so.

Texas GAF needs to grow a backbone. Florida, Ohio, Michigan, et al. get shit thrown at us constantly on GAF and you don't see us getting bent out of shape over it.

KingGondo

Banned
Big 12 Blog Best Case Scenario said:
STILLWATER, Okla. -- The Cowboys began their season with a victory against an SEC team, and ended it with a loss to one.

The Cowboys rolled through their nonconference slate with three wins all by at least 20 points, including a rout of Mississippi State. Early struggles in their Big 12 opener at West Virginia gave way to 21 consecutive second-half points and a 17-point victory. OSU took a top-10 ranking back home and made it look easy against Kansas State before TCU brought the first real fight to the Cowboys. Both defenses starred, and Clint Chelf was able to come back from a sack/fumble courtesy of Devonte Fields that gave TCU a fourth-quarter lead. Josh Stewart's four catches on the eventual game-winning drive pushed OSU to a 24-20 win in Stillwater.

Ames and Lubbock have been difficult places for the Cowboys to win at times, but OSU proved the better team in both trips, which were largely incident-free and pushed OSU to 8-0; a KU rout a week later meant 9-0.

The pressure was officially built for the home stretch. The trip to Texas to face a top-10 Longhorns squad had plenty of hype, but OSU's turnover-free performance helped it hold off a late Texas rally for a 31-27 win. Baylor brought its big guns the next week and embarrassed the OSU defense, but Blake Jackson, Tracy Moore and Stewart answered, helping Chelf rack up 400 yards and five scores in a 47-44 win, giving OSU a spotless 11-0 record heading into Bedlam. No surprise here: Another classic for bragging rights in the Sooner State, which won't be a Sooner State for the next year after the Pokes' overtime victory. Last year, Blake Bell broke the Cowboys' hearts. This year, it's Jeremy Smith's turn, breaking two tackles for the game-winning score, setting off another field-storming and a trip to the national title game. A loss to Alabama at the Rose Bowl tasted bitter, but nobody's forgetting these Cowboys anytime soon.
HNGGGGGGGGGG

(Though I did :jnc at the fact that his best-case scenario still has us losing to Bama. It's OK, I'd still gladly take a trip to Pasadena.)

Lonestar

@BFeldmanCBS: #Oregon will NOT get hit with any bowl ban due to NCAA sanctions, per source.

Bruce Feldman ‏@BFeldmanCBS 2m
NCAA COI is hitting Chip Kelly with a Show-Cause penalty from the #Oregon case, per source.

@BFeldmanCBS: #Oregon will NOT get hit with any bowl ban due to NCAA sanctions, per source.

Bruce Feldman ‏@BFeldmanCBS 2m
NCAA COI is hitting Chip Kelly with a Show-Cause penalty from the #Oregon case, per source.

Oh so you mean jack shit wont happen to the guy who bailed. There needs to be some way these coaches get busted.

Lonestar

http://www.goducks.com/pdf9/2348690.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=500
Link to report

Basically, 1 scholarship loss over 3 years. Meaning, instead of the 85 limit, it's 84, for the next 3 years.

Probation for 3 years (meaningless unless you get caught again)

Limit on recruiting visits and days to "evaluate" recruits

Not allowed to use subscription services. A hefty blow to the Rivals/Scout Empire!

SBN College Football ‏@SBNationCFB 15m
Oregon can't subscribe to recruiting services for three years. The Ducks should keep in mind @SBNRecruiting is subscription-free.

ABC
Always Be Closing

andycapps

One of the only things I wish the NCAA would do is to mandate that all member associations put wording in their coaches contract that they are liable for prosecution if they break any NCAA bylaws and then leave the member institution. Will never fucking happen though.

Oh well Oregons punishment is ol Chippy leaving, dont think theyll be nearly successful without him.

But hey! Ive been wrong many times before.

Jhriad

Texas GAF needs to grow a backbone. Florida, Ohio, Michigan, et al. get shit thrown at us constantly on GAF and you don't see us getting bent out of shape over it.

Or you could stop making statements generalizing and/or shitting on an entire state from an experience you had with two cities and a news article.

Also, I'm Nebraska GAF. I was trying to point out how silly it is to make the comment you made about a state so large that it runs an extremely large spectrum of experiences.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Slap on the wrist for Oregon. I don't really mind though. I'm sure a lot of UW and OSU fans will be taking to the messageboards this morning. It's sad that they only wanted Oregon to get severe penalties so they had a chance to compete. I would rather beat them at full strength so they don't have any excuses. Not sure when we will be able to beat them, but it'll happen again someday. I'm making my first trip to Autzen this year regardless.

I'd be salty myself over this joke of a ruling but hell we had a LOIC affecting both basketball and football with the AD as the ringleader and even we eventually avoided a FB postseason ban. While we were previously under probation - so we were a repeat violator.

cdyhybrid

Oregon got off easy. But I got what I really wanted today. I can now accurately state that Oregon hasn't won a legitimate Rose Bowl since 1917.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom