• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Offseason: FEAR THE TREE (and other non-threatening PC mascots)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdyhybrid

Sirpopop will post here when Christie tries to usurp AAC coach of the year Kyle Flood and take his place running the team, I'm sure.

Draxal

Man, I despise Sweeney so much, after he pretty much railroaded Pernetti.

And yeah, Christie gets complete control over the BOG over this, which would be disgusting especially after the last BOG nominee. (Nordcross the political boss of South Jersey personal lawyer).

Sirpopop will post here when Christie tries to usurp AAC coach of the year Kyle Flood and take his place running the team, I'm sure.

Christie is a NJ Dallas Boy Domer fanboy, what would Mike Brey do.

Blatz

Clemson's Howard's Rock was vandalized by an 18 year-old Clemson Fan, apparently.

"Micah Rogers, 18, of Pisgah Forest, N.C., was arrested and released in connection with the crime. He has a Clemson sticker on his car, and Clemson memorabilia in his home."

It's a shame that happened, but I'm relieved it wasn't a Gamecock that did it.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Qmwcj2L.jpg

Fun fact, that's ALSO the number of teams Larry Scott wants to expand the conference to.

P.S. SEC sux.

Go Bruins!

Re: klan marches in oxford. They did protest on campus a few years ago (on a home football weekend) against the university distancing itslef from civil war symbols. There was like 10 guys in robes in the free speech area protected by cops surrounded by people jeering. You couldn't hear them and they looked nervous and left after 15 minutes or so.

The OM rivals reporter claims the racism angle used by some coaches backfires on recruits who make it to campus. But there are some from Mississippi who never set foot on campus for a visit (e.g. Fletcher Cox).

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Go Bruins!

Re: klan marches in oxford. They did protest on campus a few years ago (on a home football weekend) against the university distancing itslef from civil war symbols. There was like 10 guys in robes in the free speech area protected by cops surrounded by people jeering. You couldn't hear them and they looked nervous and left after 15 minutes or so.

The OM rivals reporter claims the racism angle used by some coaches backfires on recruits who make it to campus. But there are some from Mississippi who never set foot on campus for a visit (e.g. Fletcher Cox).

You're missing the obvious: The KKK crowd were on loan from Auburn.

barnerklan_medium.jpg

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Never seen that pic but I went to school with the photographer credited in the bottom corner. I bet he made certain to get that hat in the photo.

Tamanon

Banned
Clemson's Howard's Rock was vandalized by an 18 year-old Clemson Fan, apparently.

"Micah Rogers, 18, of Pisgah Forest, N.C., was arrested and released in connection with the crime. He has a Clemson sticker on his car, and Clemson memorabilia in his home."

I'm sure all those Clemson fans who railed against South Carolina are going to be apologetic.

Kid will be tried as an adult too. Can't community service your way out of this one bucko!

Since the rock couldn't be appraised for more than $10 I guess all they would be able to get him for is trespassing and damage of ( ~$10) property.

impirius

I can't even be mad about Clemson fans blaming Carolina fans initially. It's natural to lash out when something bad happens, the rivalry is permanently heated anyway, and at least nobody started a war or anything.

We totally get to be smug assholes about it for a day or so, though

Someone has some crow to eat, I wonder who it was...
...oh yeah, it was this guy.

I can't even be mad about Clemson fans blaming Carolina fans initially. It's natural to lash out when something bad happens, the rivalry is permanently heated anyway, and at least nobody started a war or anything.
It may be natural, but people of an institution of higher learning are supposed to use their learning to help them think things through a little before going off half-cocked.

We totally get to be smug assholes about it for a day or so, though
Definitely. ;)

Draxal

Lets face facts:

B1G Schools:
- Have struggled vs Alabama
- Have struggled vs USC
- have struggled in bowl games
- Needed a BS call in the 2002 Fiesta Bowl to win their only national championship in the last 15 yrs
- have gotten SMOKED numerous times in the National Championship Game (Florida, LSU among others)
- Don't have a very good BCS bowl track record

This is where Rutgers comes in. Rutgers will help the the B1G better compete against SEC powers as well as USC, which is why I think that we will ultimately be the B1G Flagship. Lets go over the reasons why:
Fertile Recruiting Area

There is more talent within 3 hours of Rutgers than within 3 hours of any B1G school, which is why many of them recruit nationally. For example, Of all 24 players in Ohio States recruiting class, 10 of them were from Ohio. Of Rutgers 22 players in our recruiting class, 16 of them were from NJ or the surrounding states.
Larger Media Presence than any other B1G School

When we beat PSU, we'll get the back pages of the NYC dailies. When we beat OSU, we'll get the front pages of the NYC dailies. And one day, when we win it all, we'll get the FRONT and BACK pages of the NYC dailies.

We are well positioned to be the BIGGEST college football story of 2014

Just look at the media coverage we received this year over our basketball and AD issues. We win B1G in football, and we will soon be the YANKEES of college football.

Rutgers had more NFL draft picks in 2012 than any B1G school

This shows that we are doing a good job of developing our talent to be NFL ready, and is the culmination of 13 years of doing things the right way.
Better talent and Depth than any B1G School

I get EXCITED every time I project our 2014 lineup:
LT - Keith Lumpkin (rs jr) 6-8, 310 lbs, Ryan Brodie (rs so), Jorge Vicioso (sr)
LG - Marquis Wright (rs jr), 6-3, 285 lbs, Dorian Miller (rs fr), Hugh Ahern (sr)
C - Betim Bujari (sr), 6-4 290 lbs, Derek Nelson (rs so), Brandon Arcidiacono (rs so)
RG - Kaleb Johnson (sr), 6-4 300 lbs, Taj Alexander (sr), JJ Denman (rs so), Chris Fonti (sr)
RT - Chris Muller (rs so), 6-6 315 lbs, Bryan Leoni (sr)

WR - Miles Shuler (sr),5-10 175 lbs, Ruhann Peele (rs so), Andre Patton (rs fr), David Njoku (fr)
WR - Brandon Coleman (sr)**, 6-6 220 lbs, Leonte Carroo (jr), Carlton Agudosi (rs so), TJ Taylor (rs fr), John Tsmis (rs fr)
TE - Tyler Kroft (jr),6-6 235 lbs, Taylor Marini (rs fr), Nick Arcidiacono (rs fr)
QB - Gary Nova (sr), 6-2, 225 lbs, Blake Rankin (rs so), Chris Laviano (rs fr), Tyler Wiegers (fr)
FB - Michael Burton (sr),6-0 230 lbs, Sam Bergen (sr), Kevin Marquez (rs so), Jacob Kraut (fr)
RB - Savon Huggins (sr), 6-0 200 lbs, Desmond Peoples (rs so), Dontea Ayres (so), Joshua Hicks (fr)

Defense

DE - Max Issaka, (rs jr),6-3, 255 lbs , Myles Jackson (rs jr), Kemeko Turay (rs fr) or Eric Wiafe (rs fr)
DT - Darius Hamilton (jr), 6-4 260 lbs, Josh Klecko (rs fr), Djwany Mera (rs jr), Sebastian Joseph (rs fr)
DT - Ken Kirksey (sr), 6-1 280 lbs, Al Page (rs jr), Jamil Pollard (rs so), Daryl Stephenson (rs jr), Pete Mokwuah (fr)
DE - Julian Pinnix-Odrick (rs so), 6-5 250 lbs, David Milewski (sr), Quanzell Lambert (rs so),

WLB - Kevin Snyder (sr),6-3 225 lbs, Nick Internicola (rs fr), Sidney Gopre (fr),
MLB - Steve Longa (rs so), 6-1 220 lbs, Devan Carter (rs fr)
SLB - Quinton Gause (rs jr),6-1 220 lbs, Lester Liston (so), Justin Nelson (rs fr)

CB - Ian Thomas (rs so),6-1 200, Gareef Glashen (sr),
CB - Nadir Barnwell (so),5-11 190, Johnathan Aiken (sr), Deion Stephenson (rs so)

SS - Lorenzo Waters (sr),6-0, 200, Davon Jacobs (rs so), Saquan Hampton (fr)
FS - Tejay Johnson (sr), 6-2 190, Bryan Gross-Armiento (rs fr), Sheldon Royster (sr), Jevon Tyree (rs so),

**-denotes that player may declare for draft after 2013 season

Note that:
- On offense 8 of 11 starter are projected to be juniors or seniors
- On defense 7 of 11 starters are projected to be juniors or seniors
- 11 of 11 projected defensive second string players will have been with the program more than a year
- 9 of 11 second stringers on offense will have been with the program at least two years
- there are projected to be zero true freshmen on the two deep
- This is the kind of lineup that coud BEAT USC, Alabama, and other SEC schools
- We'll be more loaded than Fort Knox in 2014
Now lets contrast our lineup with the best of the B1G, Ohio States possible 2014 lineup. The source is Phil Steeles college football preview, and wherever someone was graduating after the 2013 season, I simply took the player listed next in his depth chart.

Offense
QB - Braxton Miller, 6-2, 215 lbs
RB - Rod Smith*, 6-3, 238 lbs
Slot - Jordan Hall*, 5-8, 194 lbs
WR - Cory Smith*,
WR - Devin Smith, 6-1, 198 lbs
TE - Jeff Heurman 6-6, 250 lbs
C - Jacoby Boren*, 6-2, 287 lbs
RG - Tommy Brown*, 6-4, 310 lbs
LG - Antonio Underwood*, 6-3, 301 lbs
RT - Taylor Decker, 6-7, 315 lbs
LT - Kyle Dodson*, 6-6, 324 lbs

Defense

DE - Adolphus Washington, 6-3, 292 lbs
DT - Michael Bennett, 6-3, 285 lbs
NT - Tommy Schutt, 6-2, 303 lbs
LEO - Noah Spence, 6-3, 247 lbs

WLB - Ryan Shazier, 6-2, 222 lbs
MLB - Curtis Grant, 6-3, 241 lbs
SLB - Joshua Perry, 6-4, 243 lbs

CB - Doran Grant, 5-11, 191 lbs
CB - Bradley Roby, 5-11, 192 lbs

SS - Devan Bogard, 6-0, 192 lbs
FS - Tyvis Powell, 6-3, 201 lbs

*-Denotes New Starter

Note that:
- 4/5 of Ohio States starting Offensive Line will be all new
- Braxton Miller threw for around 1500 fewer passing yards LY than Gary Nova
- Not much of a size difference between Rutgers and OSUs players
- Rutgers talent appears to be better than OSUs, with differences most prominent at QB, WR, and RB.

Rutgers Balanced Offense
Last year, Gary Nova had 2,695 passing yards and Rutgers had 1,578 rushing yards.In contrast, B1G schools beat one another up in conference, running the ball, but they struggle in out of conference games, evidenced by their weak BCS bowl record, partly because they lack effective passing attacks. Below are the National Rankings of B1G passing attacks, of ur 2014 opponents.

2012 Season B1G Passing Attack Rankings for Rutgers 2014 opponents
17 - Indiana
35 - Penn State
85 - Michigan State
88 - Nebraska
94 - Michigan
100 - Maryland
101 - Ohio State
111 - Wisconsin

USC has been very successful against B1G Schools, sporting a 67-26-2 record

USCs previous success against the B1G is predictive of how Rutgers will fair against the B1G, because the programs are very similar in that we:
- favor a balanced pro - style offense
- feature a superfast defense
- play faster and have superior overall team speed when compared with B1G schools

- we play a sanctions effected PSU after a tuneup against Howard, which is why we are going to SMOKE them
- we play Tulane after playing Navy
- we can get ready for OSU during a bye week
- we only have one set of road games back-back
-Nebraska and Wisconsin will have to replace around 11 senior starters in 2014
- MSU will have to replace 9 senior starters

After our successful 2014 season, I expect Rutgers to CLEAN UP recruiting wise, each and every year, making the rest history, and solidifying Rutgers as the B1G FLAGSHIP.

Rutgers Stadium
Rutgers Stadium is going to be an ABSOLUTE ZOO for B1G games, because games will no longer be just football games, they will be EVENTS. All the Rutgers LOONEYS will come out for these events and Rutgers Stadium will have an electric atmosphere that will be like Louisville x 2. Rutgers stadium will be LOUDER and MORE INTENSE than any environment our B1G friends are used to. With 42K fans, the Louisville atmosphere was RIDICULOUS. With 53K fans, the atmosphere is going to be OUT OF THIS WORLD, especially with the CLOSED endzone.

2014 Schedule will allow Rutgers to get off to a fast start

After further inspection, the schedule is not quite as daunting as it first appeared:
Sat. Sept 6 - Howard
Sat. Sept 13 - PSU
Sat Sept 20 - Navy
Sat Sept 27 - Tulane
Sat Oct 4 - Michigan
Sat Oct 11 - Idle
Sat Oct 18 - at Ohio State
Sat Oct 25 - at Nebraska
Sat Nov 1 - Wisconsin
Sat Nov 8 - Indiana
Sat Nov 15 - Idle
Sat Nov 22 - at MSU
Sat Nov 29 - Maryland

http://rutgers.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=642&tid=165201996&mid=165201996&sid=988&style=2

For any of you Ohio people. What do you guys know about Tiffin University? I just know it's a small private college that's been around for a long time, nice looking campus, too. Mixed to positive reviews online. Regional school with no real ranking.

But it is a school I am looking for their higher education administration MEd program. I really like how it's setup and the topics covered. I wouldn't be moving there - but instead doing the online program.

For any of you Ohio people. What do you guys know about Tiffin University? I just know it's a small private college that's been around for a long time, nice looking campus, too. Mixed to positive reviews online. Regional school with no real ranking.

But it is a school I am looking for their higher education administration MEd program. I really like how it's setup and the topics covered. I wouldn't be moving there - but instead doing the online program.

Not sure on their college stuff only thing I know is its campus and what not. But since you'll be attending online that doesn't really matter.

On the positive it's right outside Cedar point, on the negative is right outside cedar point. Area around there are what we're once cool little towns but now mostly rundown.

Edit: am I crazy or has my avatar changed...

double edit: on my phone its showing a diff avatar than on my laptop, weird..

Looks like our otherwise pretty effective administration is going to announce more restrictions to tailgating for weekday games. Basically only 3 hours before kickoff rather than standard 2pm. Makes it pretty useless to bring anything large and involved at all.

I almost wouldn't care since this only affects weekday games. But this season the school only has 3 Saturday games - and well a Friday but it is Black Friday so school is out. And one of those days, UCF moved from Saturday themselves because they're dumbasses - TV didn't dictate that one. Some of the administration didn't want to have to work on Labor Day weekend and they moved it.

Going to be a lot of pissy people when it gets announced. Then the school wonders why season ticket sales and donations are far below what they should be.

AntoneM

Looks like our otherwise pretty effective administration is going to announce more restrictions to tailgating for weekday games. Basically only 3 hours before kickoff rather than standard 2pm. Makes it pretty useless to bring anything large and involved at all.

I almost wouldn't care since this only affects weekday games. But this season the school only has 3 Saturday games - and well a Friday but it is Black Friday so school is out. And one of those days, UCF moved from Saturday themselves because they're dumbasses - TV didn't dictate that one. Some of the administration didn't want to have to work on Labor Day weekend and they moved it.

Going to be a lot of pissy people when it gets announced. Then the school wonders why season ticket sales and donations are far below what they should be.

So, like, 300 people will be inconvenienced for the sake of thousands of students? Sounds like the university is actually doing things right.

So, like, 300 people will be inconvenienced for the sake of thousands of students? Sounds like the university is actually doing things right.

That's fine if they don't want classes cut short for the day(even though there are months and months of notice where a professor can easily take into account the missed 1-3 hours of lecture so nothing is missed), but if you're going to pull shit like that, don't voluntarily move games to a weekday. Then bitch about having games on a weekday.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
http://www.theeagle.com/news/local/article_c25cedcc-e264-11e2-a019-001a4bcf887a.html
http://www.goodbullhunting.com/2013/7/1/4483226/two-a-m-football-players-facing-assault-charges

A&M with there official "Welcome to the SEC" moment. 2 Defensive starters arrested for assault (including the guy who picked off AJ at the end of the Bama/A&M game). Interested to see if Sumlin goes the Urban route or not.

Deshazor Everett, 21, and Floyd Raven Sr., 20, each face two counts of assault causing bodily injury , a Class A misdemeanor punishable by up to one year in jail. Warrants issued Friday state that both also will be charged with one count of criminal mischief, also a Class A misdemeanor.

Big Ten is next year, ur stick with Sirpopopop and the Ville fans for one more year.

I was referring to Maryland. I thought they were moving this year. But I was mistaken. I know we'll be best buddies for one year, though in the AAC!

Edit: Congrats on becoming the nation's second largest university. You overtook UCF by virtue of a campus merger it looks like. 65k to 60k with Arizona still number 1 at like 70 or 75k total students.

Draxal

I was referring to Maryland. I thought they were moving this year. But I was mistaken. I know we'll be best buddies for one year, though in the AAC!

Edit: Congrats on becoming the nation's second largest university. You overtook UCF by virtue of a campus merger it looks like. 65k to 60k with Arizona still number 1 at like 70 or 75k total students.

Yeah, the politics behind the merger was really scummy (pops ot thread) and its why we kept Barc hi for so long otherwise we would have dumped him like PSU and Spanier.

Looks like ESPN chucked the big east/aac blog.

Readers are using the Stanford one instead.
lol fuckers. At least let us keep it for the final AQ year. But there is a campaign to email one of the people that decided it... plus of curse taking over the Stanford blog.

And why the hell do they of all teams get a special blog? Do they even sell out their home/bowl games? The hell makes them so special they need a whole blog in addition to the Pac 12 one.

I mean starting in 2014, 90% of all games will be required to be on ESPN TV networks. NBC low balled us on the money screwing us there but they did offer a really comprehensive TV coverage package for FB and BB. I really don't get the point in continually shitting on them. It's not like the BE blog had a shortage of traffic and activity either.

Draxal

lol fuckers. At least let us keep it for the final AQ year. But there is a campaign to email one of the people that decided it... plus of curse taking over the Stanford blog.

And why the hell do they of all teams get a special blog? Do they even sell out their home/bowl games? The hell makes them so special they need a whole blog in addition to the Pac 12 one.

I mean starting in 2014, 90% of all games will be required to be on ESPN TV networks. NBC low balled us on the money screwing us there but they did offer a really comprehensive TV coverage package for FB and BB. I really don't get the point in continually shitting on them. It's not like the BE blog had a shortage of traffic and activity either.

Ya, I know people think the ESPN conspiracy theories are crazy (and alot of them are out there); but there's no doubt in my mind that they fucked the AAC over.

edit.

3,000 comments on the one stanford blog post lol.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Not much of a surprise but it looks like it's finally more or less confirmed that Alabama WR Marvin Shinn is transferring to Texas Tech after months of speculation to that effect. All the talk has gone from "we won't know until Summer II" to "we expect him here for Summer II."

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Not much of a surprise but it looks like it's finally more or less confirmed that Alabama WR Marvin Shinn is transferring to Texas Tech after months of speculation to that effect. All the talk has gone from "we won't know until Summer II" to "we expect him here for Summer II."
He's a good kid, by all accounts. I hope he shows up in Lubbock and blows up for you guys.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Sad day. Eli Manning's wife had another girl. We're getting into Henry VIII territory.
Have we progressed enough to realize that it's Eli's fault not his wife's, or is Archie considering forcing an annulment?

Does Peyton have kids?

Aesius

Have we progressed enough to realize that it's Eli's fault not his wife's, or is Archie considering forcing an annulment?

Does Peyton have kids?

Twins, a boy and a girl.

Only 16 years until Marshall Williams Manning avenges his father and defeats Florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom